As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I assume people have run into The Gate, yes? He is something else....

I did, but in a run where I had max damage shots, the Anarchists Cookbook, and something that made bombs shoot tears in every direction when they explode.

He didn't really last long enough for me to see what he was up to!

Quite a lot, let me tell you. Basically depths gurdy.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Azazel does seem very powerful. I got him with Lil' Brimstone and got a Brimstone on him and just went to town all the way through Sheol.

Loving the game. It makes the old BoI feel like a tech demo or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Are these floors a lot longer than in the original? Especially in the basement? I keep confusing myself.

"Why is Monstro here in the Caves!? Oh, maybe he's here because this isn't the caves..."

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    It was the cursed eye. I forgot that cursed items gave that effect. Thanks!

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Ahaha. So, it turns out that D6 reroll rooms can still spawn in challenges. Soo if you're lucky with a shitty challenge, you can get something not shitty!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    What is happening where I keep getting teleported out of the boss room? I'll get them 75% down, and then when I take a hit it will teleport me out of the room and refill their health. It's god damn infuriating because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens. It's not happening when I get down to half a heart, either.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you have an item that teleports you upon taking damage

do you have the cursed skull trinket

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Worst trinket ever, by the way

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I done went and broke it
    53372AFCD16EB765826D98163E97EC9B89CEFFF0

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular

It wasn't the cursed skull, but I'm sure you're right that I had something. It wasn't every time I took damage, though! And it wouldn't be the hit that takes me to 1 or a half a heart that would teleport me. Really frustrating.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    First go against Isaac tonight. And I thought Mom's heart got beefed up considerably :rotate:

steam_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

It wasn't the cursed skull, but I'm sure you're right that I had something. It wasn't every time I took damage, though! And it wouldn't be the hit that takes me to 1 or a half a heart that would teleport me. Really frustrating.

I think there's a couple of other 'cursed' items that have a random chance of teleporting you when taking damage.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »
    I done went and broke it
    53372AFCD16EB765826D98163E97EC9B89CEFFF0

I saw someone break it way worse. Some seed spoilers here.
    BRWN SNKE seed = poop every step + notched axe + petrified poop = every time Notched Axe is charged farm all the poop for soul hearts and money. It turned a very silly seed into beating the devil

• xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    Satan beat! Woop Woop!

steam_sig.png
    So, two quick things.

1. Mom's knife synergizes with little planet

2. Don't take little planet if you have mom's knife

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don't pick up mom's knife ever

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Mom's Knife can be stupid powerful, though. It's range is balls, but you can launch it outwards and against really large enemies/bosses, can easily 50%/OHKO.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten her knife yet in rebirth, but from some of the people I've seen on Twitch, the knife seems to have a much improved range.

steam_sig.png
    The problem with mom's knife is that there are situations where you can get screwed for using it

And it synergizes like ass

Had a solid run as Azazel Hard Mode. I got too careless though and wound up dying just outside Mom's Heart room.

Does Hard mode add anything, as far as anyone knows?

Also, the coin donation boxes. I've managed to fill it up to 50 for the second item, but it seems really random as to when a coin will jam in the box.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yeah I'm pretty sure the donation box jamming is totally random

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The problem with mom's knife is that there are situations where you can get screwed for using it

And it synergizes like ass

but the thing is, you don't need synergies

mom's knife + a decent amount of hp + one or two damage ups typically equals won run. flying helps, of course.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

Other than bombing the box repeatedly until it's empty of coins, I haven't really figured out how to unjam it. It seems like it stays jammed through all plays until I bomb the damn thing empty, which sucks.
    How are you supposed to get it to Level 4 otherwise? Donate only with high luck?

Definitely. I've had it jam around 6 coins in, and I've had it jam around 69. You never know.

Also, got an interesting item. Quickly charges up multiple shots, but has no indication of when it's ready, and I get teleported if I take damage. Really hoping I find a black candle in the shop(making bank this run with counterfeit penny). Trying to get my blue baby run finished.

Other than bombing the box repeatedly until it's empty of coins, I haven't really figured out how to unjam it. It seems like it stays jammed through all plays until I bomb the damn thing empty, which sucks.
    How are you supposed to get it to Level 4 otherwise? Donate only with high luck?

Uh... no, it only jams for that run, at the most (it might actually be by floor, I can't remember checking more than once a run). When it jams just leave it, come back in the next run and it'll be at the total it jams at.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Robes wrote: »
    Is there an item pickup where when you take damage, there is a chance for you to be ported out of that room? If so, can someone tell me the name of that item? I don't remember picking up such an item, but in one of my runs today this was happening all the damn time. I had to fight Mom like 6 times during that session because of the stupid teleport.

That sounds like Cursed Skull, which, in the original game, was a trinket which would teleport you out of the room if you took damage while having less than one full red heart. I think there are some new items with similar effects.

Did you pick up any items with "Cursed" in the name?

Could also be Cursed Eye - allows you to charge a number of tears to fire at once, but also has the teleport-on-taking-damage effect.
    Oh, is that what just utterly ruined my godlike Eve run? Good to know. I couldn't figure it out.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    On PS4, you can hold down the right trigger for a few seconds and it will drop your trinket and useable item. Good if you pick up bad pills you don't want to use on accident, or you pick up a cursed skull and there are no other trinkets around to swap it out.

Just beat Satan with Eden. I got a short-range tear thingy where they get smaller the farther they go, and a bunch of other tear damage items, but Magic Fingers is really what made the run trivial. Usable as many times as you have pennies and it damages everything on the screen. I didn't even use tears on Satan, just my Magic Fingers.

If you see it, get it.

Just beat Satan with Eden. I got a short-range tear thingy where they get smaller the farther they go, and a bunch of other tear damage items, but Magic Fingers is really what made the run trivial. Usable as many times as you have pennies and it damages everything on the screen. I didn't even use tears on Satan, just my Magic Fingers.

If you see it, get it.

I think the thing is that there's a random chance per floor of it either giving a necronomicon effect or a teleport effect.

One obviously being much more useful than the other.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

If you see it, get it.

I think the thing is that there's a random chance per floor of it either giving a necronomicon effect or a teleport effect.

Wait, what? No. Magic Fingers never did that ever, and I used it every single floor. Literally all it does is consume a penny and damage everything on screen that can be hurt.

Also, stompy status is friggin' great. I crushed every rock I came across and eventually hit a Legend of Zelda style ladder to a treasure room with a PhD in it and a few flies. Randomly, destroying blocks in that way also drops items and soul hearts (not talking about the darker looking rocks that pretty much always drop soul hearts; I'm talking the regular everyday variety).

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Chocolate Milk lets you charge up a single very powerful shot.

Monstro's Lung lets you charge up a spray of shots.

I got both, and then sold all my hearts to the devil for damage boosts.

I one-shotted every enemy in the game. Including Mom. And Mom's Heart. And Satan. If a room had two bosses I killed them both with one shot.

To add insult to injury, I also had a halo of an uncountable number of flies, which would insta-gib anything that I was somehow too slow to shoot and then replenish a room or two later. And permanent max soul hearts thanks to a devil child follower that converted all hearts to soul hearts.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Huh, well I guess I'm glad I've still stayed pretty in the dark about a lot of Rebirth stuff, as I was just taken by surprise. I was working on Azazel runs and wasn't having much luck. Stop giving me a bunch of tear effect items that don't do anything because of my default short Brimstone, game! Anyway, eventually I got Mom's Knife on the first floor and started wrecking shit. (this is after a previous run where I got Mom's Knife after having Tiny Planet... I basically just committed suicide at that point) I'm fairly sure I was one hit away from Cave Boy and fairly close to that for Dark Boy. Ah well.

There are some mechanics that I won't spoil, but something does happen if you beat that clock face to Mom in the Depths. I ended up with several huge damage upgrades, now that Mom's Knife actually synergizes better with other items, including damage multipliers... I somehow accidentally went up to the Cathedral on a previous run (through the trapdoor in the Devil Room after Mom's Heart, no less) and I thought I had it figured out and thought it was going to happen again this time, but it didn't. So I headed down to Sheol to tangle with Satan, beat him no problem, even though I did take a fair amount of damage on the way (thank you Wafer!) and then I hopped in the chest to get my ending for Azazel finally.

I'll spoil the following, but this is what surprised me:
    Instead of the credits, I got another vignette loading screen! I won't say anything about it, but I did end up being successful, probably purely because of how much insane damage Mom's Knife was doing (especially when I popped Book of Belial for boss rooms).

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Huh, I remember Samson's starting item giving damage bonus for the duration of the room only. It's the whole level. Has it always been that way?

Glad I gave Samson another try, anyway. I rather like the character now.

Eden is also fun, way more variation at early game. Bit limited since I can't consistently beat the game on Eden, but the token requirement is a rather cool way of stopping rng scumming.

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Just got my first Mom kill in Rebirth. I forget what it's called, but the item that makes tears stay in place until you let go of the button, at which point every tear is launched in one glorious barrage, is both fun and fantastically useful.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet

If you see it, get it.

Wait, what? No. Magic Fingers never did that ever, and I used it every single floor. Literally all it does is consume a penny and damage everything on screen that can be hurt.

Also, stompy status is friggin' great. I crushed every rock I came across and eventually hit a Legend of Zelda style ladder to a treasure room with a PhD in it and a few flies. Randomly, destroying blocks in that way also drops items and soul hearts (not talking about the darker looking rocks that pretty much always drop soul hearts; I'm talking the regular everyday variety).

Yea, being able to break everything is amazing. I noticed that the skull rocks tend to drop cards, mushrooms tend to drop pills, and pots drop... something. It's usually worth clearing them out if you have a bunch of bombs.
    Keemossi wrote: »
    Huh, I remember Samson's starting item giving damage bonus for the duration of the room only. It's the whole level. Has it always been that way?

Glad I gave Samson another try, anyway. I rather like the character now.

Eden is also fun, way more variation at early game. Bit limited since I can't consistently beat the game on Eden, but the token requirement is a rather cool way of stopping rng scumming.

It used to reset every room. Now it takes longer to get going, but lasts the whole floor.

Oh my god. That makes Samson so much BETTER! He was terrible in the original!

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »

Yea, he is amazing now. Also, it might not have anything to do with kills. Taking damage seems to increase it on top of something else (maybe time?).

Okay, so, just had a run along these lines: Monstro's Lung, Inner Eye, Lil' Brimstone, Cricket's Head, Guppy, Guppy's Head. Also Holy Shield (which was vital in me getting both Dark Boy and Mama's Boy). I shoot out a mass of incredibly powerful tears along with a little brimstone beam, and because of both being guppy and keeping guppy's head, I have a solid ring of flies around me at all times.

Mom went from 60% health to 0 when she stomped me because of contacting the ring of flies (didn't notice it was red mom, holy shield saved me taking the stomp damage). Mom's Heart literally instagibbed the moment I entered the room, I didn't even get to take a step. Each of Satan's stages melted to one blast of my tear shotgun. It was crazy.

(Also rolled with Tammy's Head on Sheol so I could actually kill something instead of my flies :P)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Whoo, 8 total Mom kills and 3 or 4 Satan kills. I decided to do an Eden run just for shits and gigs, and I get horrendously slow fire rate and my first item is Tiny Planet. I decided to NOPE on out of that one and restart.

So the next run I started with Guppy's Paw and my first item room was PHD. And then I proceeded to get Brimstone, Lil' Brimstone, Chocolate Milk, Dark Bum, Flight... a whole laundry list of awesome, basically. Cruised on down to Sheol and kicked Satan's ass.

On a side note, I'm definitely noticing a marked improvement as far as responsiveness goes. Movement is much smoother, it's much easier to maneuver around the room and dodge bullets. The new engine feels great.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »

Yea, he is amazing now. Also, it might not have anything to do with kills. Taking damage seems to increase it on top of something else (maybe time?).
    Wow, yeah. I tried him tonight, and he carried me through 3 winning runs no problem. With Cain getting nerfed into hell, Samson rises to take his place as the easymode.

M A G I K A Z A M