As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Old thread is old

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The Ar'kif is a very fine ship, I have a real soft spot for the max level version with the hanger bay

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A little theme music for you, then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIQxoVY3SzU

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Twitter announcement that Romulans are getting a legendary ship of their own, in a bundle that includes level 65 boost and "other high end items." The picture has a silhouette of the T'liss, but the Fed legendary teaser's silhouettes didn't match up to the ships that replaced them. Still, hard to think of any warbird except the T'liss and D'deridex counting as legendary in the context they used for Fed ships.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I haven't touched skill books since I'm not sure these Bridge officers are gonna be my forever bridge, but on a whim I looked at the books available to buy. Cue a wide-eyed obi looking at Intelligence and Command and Temporal bridge skills and what even are these and where do I get bridge officers that can learn them?!

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Once you level up enough in a specialization (the second leveling system that kicks in at level 50 and continues in a loop at the cap) you can train officers in that specialization so they can learn powers from it. They can learn multiple but only have one active at a time.

Ground spec powers can be used any time, space ones require special stations - if you look at zen store ships, you'll see ones with stations like Commander Engineer/Intelligence - those will take an engineer and allow them to use intelligence powers.

Edit: you can also get kit modules to match for yourself. You can have two specs active at a time, one primary and one secondary (kit powers work but only the top half of the tree is active).

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    f6fe6c6853976b95f3825fb61c9555331591744752.png
    It's a T'liss, has the new skin from Picard and a mirror universe T'varo skin as well as all the previous versions.

In a bundle with a huge level 65 starter pack for Romulans. 6,000 zen going up to 12k before going away like the Fed legendary ships.

That's a lot, and you don't get as many extras as the Fed bundle, but for one ship instead of ten it might actually be a better value if you're willing to drop $60 on a warbird raider.

Also, after answering some of ObiFett's questions I realized the OP for the game was a copy paste of the last OP which was like eight years old, so I've been editing it over the last few days to try and make it more relevant to the current form of the game.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    By the way, having been stuck in my apartment for the past 3 months, and for who knows how long into the future, I figured I might as well get updated so I can visit Risa for a summer vacation whenever the summer event kicks off. Don't know if I'll be doing dailies or grinding reputations or any of that, but I have been getting back into the true game: grinding down doffs to feed to fleet projects.

I've had a lifetime sub running for years now, and the last time I played was...2015? So I do have a bit of a bank stored up...

• Options
    Hit 65! Picked up my T5 ship!

Then I realized this game has a ridiculous tail. Specialties, Reputations, T6 through Fleet ships, Admiralty, Fleets, R&D, Events, and Endeavors are all just soooo much to do and think about.

That's not even counting gearing up ships and BOFFs.

I, uh, have a lot to do.

So I started a Federation alt, lol.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what the story is here, but I'm guessing that my doctor pissed off somebody with a lot of bling on their collar.

umedv694t6zd.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2020
    New content release on PC June 30, two new missions, another STF against Discovery Klingons, and three new patrols.

Big grind mission attached, like the Measure of Morality one. Reward looks... Seriously OP. It's the Red Angel suit.

Works as a normal combat armor, but has two cooldown abilities.

If you die wearing it, your future self can come revive you and set off an AOE against whoever killed you.

Second, you can activate it like an EVA suit to transform into the red angel temporarily. This sets off a bigger explosion around you and grants big damage and defense buffs and black goth wings that shoot fire.

While in this mode you lose all your usual powers and gain special weapons, infinite hypos and shield recharges, the ability to teleport enemies forward in time (basically banishing them from the field for a few seconds), and an EMP that disables tech abilities and weapons and deals heavy electrical damage to mechanical and incorporeal enemies.

This is... A LOT of shit to pack into an armor. I would have rather had a Voth mech or Vaadwaur spider tank than the Red Angel, but ok this clip is basically Iron Man.

https://youtu.be/OjAGWMUhxFQ

No word on the missions that I see but the STF, the locations for the patrols, and the Red Angel suit all point to this being a return to Discovery stuff, so I'm not expecting another Measure of Morality thrill rise.

Hevach on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    It is indeed more Discovery Klingon stuff (yawn) but this time it appears Klingon-focused. A civil war of old vs new, maybe?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I think I lucked out on how I decided to play through this game. I'm up to mid 50s on my starfleet character and the differences between a Romulan playthrough and Starfleet are pretty vast.

Starting with a Romulan kept my choices pretty simple. Ship choices (when there were any) were just various Warbirds whose only real differences were handling/shields/hull. This allowed me to learn the basics without too many new mechanics from ship to ship. Additionally, I barely made it to the middle of the Delta Quadrant season before hitting 65.

Then I started playing as my Vulcan Starfleet captain. I was surprised when I was in my 40s and passing the Delta Quadrant storyline and well into the Iconian War*. This meant I was able to do content new to me most of the time with this captain. Most importantly, the differences between Cruisers/Science/Assault ships are much more vast and it felt like because I had a base from my Romulan playthrough, I was better able to understand the ships, experiment, and build while levelling. The survivability is insane on the Cruiser/Science vessels compared to the Warbirds. And I think I'm in love with Science Boff abilities.

Also, the later content is much MUCH cooler in terms of mission structure, story, and rewards. So its interesting to hit these better missions and rewards later in the playthrough of my second character. It would've been harder to play all this cool new stuff and then try to either repeat it on my Romulan or go back to the older Romulan missions.

I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'm gonna drop some money on the game. Looking hard at the various crossfaction ship bundles. Any suggestions?

*Sidenote: I just did the mission in the Iconian War where (do I need to spoiler this?):
    You make a change to the timeline to slow the Iconians down and also bring Romulus back. And then you check out Romulus and its been fully assimilated and also the Borg have cloaking tech because of it. I laughed pretty hard at the severe level of Monkey's paw happening. Was a great mission.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    If you're after a cross faction pack, I think the Gamma Vanguard one is pretty good value. It's fairly expensive but you get an absolute raft of ships. All the Jem Hadar can be used on any faction once you unlock their mastery on a Jem and they are all very solid. The Cardassian ships can be used anywhere from the off and are also excellent.

The Temporal 3 pack isn't bad either, the ship traits aren't brilliant but the ships themselves are pretty good, especially the science vessel, plus it's a lot cheaper.

My biggest caveat is that you should probably wait for a ship sale (if there isn't one on right now which I think not?) as that 20% off makes a huge difference, especially if you're paying straight cash and not converting dilithium in the exchange.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    If you're after a cross faction pack, I think the Gamma Vanguard one is pretty good value. It's fairly expensive but you get an absolute raft of ships. All the Jem Hadar can be used on any faction once you unlock their mastery on a Jem and they are all very solid. The Cardassian ships can be used anywhere from the off and are also excellent.

The Temporal 3 pack isn't bad either, the ship traits aren't brilliant but the ships themselves are pretty good, especially the science vessel, plus it's a lot cheaper.

My biggest caveat is that you should probably wait for a ship sale (if there isn't one on right now which I think not?) as that 20% off makes a huge difference, especially if you're paying straight cash and not converting dilithium in the exchange.

I've got enough Dilithium refined I can get around 3k zen. I'm thinking the best use of that right now would be to do a buyout on one of the previous events (probably the one that rewards 50k dilithium) so I can get the T6 token from the Event Campaign. I started just late enough that I only have 900 points on the event campaign, which means I can't get the final reward without a buyout of a previous event. That essentially means I'd be spending 50k dilithium to get a T6 ship, which seems like a good deal?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    To be fair, if you want the T6 token from the event, that is worth 3000 zen (as it's 1 ship and they are all 3k zen) so you'd be in the same place you are now :)

Now the value of 1000 lobi is another question, maybe have a look at the store and see if there's anything there that takes your fancy, bearing in mind that it'd only be for a single character.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    To be fair, if you want the T6 token from the event, that is worth 3000 zen (as it's 1 ship and they are all 3k zen) so you'd be in the same place you are now :)

Now the value of 1000 lobi is another question, maybe have a look at the store and see if there's anything there that takes your fancy, bearing in mind that it'd only be for a single character.

Nah, I only need 2k zen for the buyout. And I'd be getting 1 T6 ship plus 1.5k zen in dilithium back. So its quite a bit better than spending 3k zen on a T6 ship. I'd be spending essentially 500 zen to get a T6 ship.

edit: nvm, I must have done the math wrong on my dilithium to zen conversion at some point. :/

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Haven't started the new stuff yet, but the launcher has some news they kept under their hats in the run up: We already knew JG Hertzler was returning as Martok, but Robert O'Reilly, who played Gowron's bulging eyeballs, is also returning as Aakar, Gowron's Discovery-era ancestor.

We've met Aakar before, but he was an unvoiced generic Discovery Klingon with one bad eye. His appearance in the banner nd launch trailer is interesting, they seem to have tried to mash TNG and Discovery Klingon features together with bulging Gowron eyeballs to get the look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7091FUPilEw

Mud's market in the zen store also has a few platinum themed freebies for the Cryptic 20th anniversary, a vanity shield, tardigrade, and phaser rifle.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "his eyes, HIS EYES!"

• Options
    edited June 2020
    eacn2efkuc37.png
    This is Aakar's new look.

Interesting design - the back of his head is Discovery-style, but his ears aren't pointed. He has ridges on his throat like a Discovery Klingon, but the face/nose/forehead are TNG style. Facial hair could pass for TOS or TNG era. Big mish-mash of the various Klingon styles and almost sells the idea that T'Kuvma and J'Ula might actually somehow be the same species as the rest of them.

And most importantly, he has the eyes. Some really great facial animations in dialog screens, don't think any other character has had the depth of behavior before, and when he bugs his eyes out, he doesn't plunge down the uncanny valley like you might expect.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Episode notes:
    Mission 1 starts with a summit between several Klingon houses. J'Ula is trying to play Martok against J'mpok as the rightful chancellor. Things go south very quickly and violence breaks out, spilling all the way into Federation and Romulan space.

J'Ula had pieces in place for this, and reveals all at once Imperial Klingon allies, a virus that lets her remotely command Federation ships (even self destructing a starbase with it), and an upgraded mycelial rift weapon that can't be closed by normal means (luckily the "good" Elachi know how and show up to help). J'Ula nukes a city and bolts.

Mission 2 is more focused, you and Martok try to track down a hidden Mokai base on Khitomer. Khitomer has changed a lot, the Hall of Conquest is now the Hall of Alliance, with distinct Federation and Romulan wings added and a Dominion area under construction. Deferi, Lukari, Cardassian, and Delta Quadrant representatives are also milling around.

You eventually track J'Ula to the sub basement, and learn that she's making inroads with the KDF delegates on the Alliance council, including the Ferasan chairman.

Bug Eyes betrays her during the fight, revealing that he had nukes the city against her orders. He steals the mycelial weapon, which he beams to.... Dun dun duuuuun - J'mpok's ship.

J'Mpok nukes Camp Khitomer from orbit, you evacuate who you can (there's a dilithium bonus for how many diplomats you save - it takes time but Martok and J'Ula are way tougher than the NPCs and will protect you, just stay ahead of the blue wave and you have plenty of time.

A clusterfuck ensues in orbit as Mokai Klingon and Imperial Klingon, as well as the three faction flagships Bortasqu', Enterprise, and Liesset, and the Alliance flagship Khitomer all can't figure out who to shoot at. The player, Martok on the Rotarren, and Shren on the Enterprise team up and disable everything in sight and take off to try and figure shit out later.

Two unique rewards: a pair of dual pistols with nanopulse bayonets, and a pair of nanopulse Mek'leths, they appear in the episodes in the hands of one of J'Ula's soldiers, a mysterious guy in a hood who I swear looks like a Kelvin Klingon but is probably a mixed mutt like Bug Eyes.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I forgot klingon lightsabers were a thing, so that was a bit jarring to say the least (I've also played a lot of SWTOR). Definitely felt odd as a Federation character. Oh not for Wolf 359ing entire fleets because that's pretty standard these days but rather
    "you should lay low for awhile." Uhh...like hi my dude is a Starfleet admiral or at the very least a captains since that's the rank he wears. He probably has at least 8 medals after all the shit STO has put him through. I'm pretty sure "hail Starfleet and tell them what the hell just happened, including one-on-one interviews with my entire senior staff" would be pretty high on his list of things to do immediately. Romulans would have a similar issue. Klingon would make more sense in that regard but then why would Shon cover for you like that? Or does someone else cover for you depending on your faction choice?

And what is the point of Kagran being captain of the ALLIANCE flagship if all it takes for him to open fire on other members is for his old boss to demand it? I think it would have made much more sense for him to remain neutral until the situation could be resolved. I hope they fire him and replace him with Worf.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised by the direction they went with it. One thing that did bother me a bit was
    the vorta. Why is he so obsessed with checking his nails? I'm sure it was unintentional but that combined with the voice really screams "stereotypical 90s tv gay character played for laughs".

• Options
    I think this is the first time nanopulse weapons have actually appeared in the "real" part of the game, so understandable people might forget. They've usually been a winter event thing.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So, how much you wanna bet we'll get this ship in the near future?

D2VUwVF.jpg

I mean, once it's figured out how the hell anyone gets to the engineering hull that is.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    If I had to guess, it's like the pods on the Miranda, Akira, and Steamrunner, and probably not continuously manned.

• Options
    Or they live/work behind the deflector and can't actually get out (aside from transporters of course).

It's clearly a joke ship but people are flying around in Kobayashi Marus so it wouldn't surprise me if we get it at some point.

• Options
    It's a joke show but without seeing the show it doesn't seem to be a joke ship. Awkward proportions but conforms to the rough Starfleet light cruiser layout.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Had a chance to finish off the new content:

Patrols
    Just the combat set pieces from the missions, much like the Discovery patrols.
    STF
    Mixed Mokai and Imperial Klingons. First a king of the hill control point assault, then defense of those points, then defending them while capturing ships leaving the planet below, then defending them while also destroying kamakazee ships with crazy self destruct (if you're within 5km you're going to die). A lot of familiar aspects but a well balanced mission despite all the shit going on.
    Kilingon content
    No story changes, but redone fights for better flow and a ton of great cutscenes. Not missing anything if you played the previous versions. I noticed a subtle new trick on some maps, dialog would pop as soon as the last hostile died, rather than wait ~10s for red alert to drop.

Massive dropped ball not having a new Klingon centric rep. The Discovery rep is old as fuck now and we don't need yet another STF for it.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I will be very surprised if we don't get an Alliance rep sometime this year, or maybe a "Discovery, but Klingon" one.

Gotta spend those mark boxes on something, damnit!

• Options
    I'm thinking there's got to be an Alliance rep yeah, maybe a Klingon Recruit event (at least that would make sense as a pointer towards all this remapped/mastered content)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I don't want another rep! I'm just barely levelling the dozen there are right now!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    When you first hit 40 and unlock them the thing to remember is that reputations are all in their own bottle, and for the most part the best stuff is in the top one, the bottom couple, and whichever one lowest on the list is themed around your personal favorite energy type. They're ordered with the newest on top, and the rest in order of release, and power creep is very real in this game. The one that's off the power creep curve is Omega, which still has the best stuff for fighting Borg on the ground, but that's not as universal of a consideration like it once was in the endgame.

It takes about 30 days to hit tier 5 in one, with two days of the daily bonus marks paying for three days of projects. At tier 5, your exp doubles for all characters on the account (including you, so that 150k jump to tier 6 isn't so daunting). You also get a big chunk of resources, enough to pay for a piece of gear right away, OR enough to carry you through at least half way to tier 6, and all the way in a few. Meaning you can basically stop playing content for that rep and let it roll while you grind others.

It's more resource efficient to ignore the hourly project. You stretch to about 40 days for tier 5, but get more progress from a daily bonus (most cases two days of progress from one STF or battleground node), so much less queue grinding, and more progress into tier 6 from the tier 5 payout.

Unless there's a red alert event running, the fastest way to get marks is random queues. You get the queue's marks plus a choice-of-any box, so either two hits with one payout, or double dip on the same one and get an extra daily out of it.

Other efficiency suggestions:
    Ignore the server wide endeavors, they take the longest to do and give the lowest exp. The boxes are generally garbage. The easy endeavor is also really not worth doing unless you can easily hit it while doing your planned routine or it overlaps with one of the others.

Don't do missions for an admiralty track while a tour mission is running, since the next can't spawn into the upcoming list until it's done, and they give far better payouts. Switch to another track and try to trigger its tour of duty.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I tried the new TFO out. It was a nice change of pace from "destroy wave after wave of enemies spawning in the exact same spot until the time runs out" that the last few events have relied on.

Granted, this also means you'll likely be trying to juggle them all yourself because the rest of the team is clustered up in one spot.

• Options
    OMG this Ferengi Ocean's Eleven mission is hilarious

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Still one of my favorite episodes, absolute zany batshit fun. Might even edge out Measure of Morality's holy shit moment overload.

Good: You can get Lek's badass glasses in the intel outfit. Bad: You cannot get Lek's badass shades flip animation as an emote.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Still one of my favorite episodes, absolute zany batshit fun. Might even edge out Measure of Morality's holy shit moment overload.

Good: You can get Lek's badass glasses in the intel outfit. Bad: You cannot get Lek's badass shades flip animation as an emote.

Speaking of, I just finished up parts 1 and 2 of that episode today.

It was a bit of a slog, but man if it wasn't all worth it for that final space moment and battle. Gave me chills.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I have very poor impulse control. I've been earning so much dilithium doing daily TFOs that I exchanged for enough Zen to buy the holo-TOS Enterprise bridge officers set from Mudd's market.

Scotty and LaForge will always be engineering bros from now on. Will go nicely with my Bashir med officer and Holo Leeta as my primary tactical officer and away team one-woman army.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    When you first hit 40 and unlock them the thing to remember is that reputations are all in their own bottle, and for the most part the best stuff is in the top one, the bottom couple, and whichever one lowest on the list is themed around your personal favorite energy type. They're ordered with the newest on top, and the rest in order of release, and power creep is very real in this game. The one that's off the power creep curve is Omega, which still has the best stuff for fighting Borg on the ground, but that's not as universal of a consideration like it once was in the endgame.

It takes about 30 days to hit tier 5 in one, with two days of the daily bonus marks paying for three days of projects. At tier 5, your exp doubles for all characters on the account (including you, so that 150k jump to tier 6 isn't so daunting). You also get a big chunk of resources, enough to pay for a piece of gear right away, OR enough to carry you through at least half way to tier 6, and all the way in a few. Meaning you can basically stop playing content for that rep and let it roll while you grind others.

It's more resource efficient to ignore the hourly project. You stretch to about 40 days for tier 5, but get more progress from a daily bonus (most cases two days of progress from one STF or battleground node), so much less queue grinding, and more progress into tier 6 from the tier 5 payout.

Unless there's a red alert event running, the fastest way to get marks is random queues. You get the queue's marks plus a choice-of-any box, so either two hits with one payout, or double dip on the same one and get an extra daily out of it.

Other efficiency suggestions:
    Ignore the server wide endeavors, they take the longest to do and give the lowest exp. The boxes are generally garbage. The easy endeavor is also really not worth doing unless you can easily hit it while doing your planned routine or it overlaps with one of the others.

Don't do missions for an admiralty track while a tour mission is running, since the next can't spawn into the upcoming list until it's done, and they give far better payouts. Switch to another track and try to trigger its tour of duty.

This has all been really helpful. Thanks. Now that I'm out of story missions, I've started really grinding marks out and the marks themselves wont be hard to get, its just gonna be making sure I kick off the daily projects for 40 days.

I dont see where the doubling exp kicks in at tier 5. Is that an unlisted perk or something?

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Yeah. It used to be a project, you spent 100 marks and got an account bound token that could be claimed on another character to double exp. They changed it to automatic and free, but didn't update any text to reflect it.

Once you hit tier 6, there's several special one time projects. A free respect token and a fleet ship module, both fairly cheap. A vanity shield for more marks, and an expensive project for an account wide project discount, much like what the dilithium mine holding does.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Yeah. It used to be a project, you spent 100 marks and got an account bound token that could be claimed on another character to double exp. They changed it to automatic and free, but didn't update any text to reflect it.

Once you hit tier 6, there's several special one time projects. A free respect token and a fleet ship module, both fairly cheap. A vanity shield for more marks, and an expensive project for an account wide project discount, much like what the dilithium mine holding does.

Those are the main draw for me to get my reps to 6.

• Options
    Running TFOs has exposed me to a ton of abilities that I have no idea what they are. One in particular seems amazing and I'm curious where to get it.

Its like a really cool looking black hole. There's really no other way to describe it. Its not Gravity Well (I use that constantly). Its more flat and has a really cool looking black hole effect in the middle. Any idea what that is?

This discussion has been closed.