As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Old thread is old

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Not clear if this is the TFO for that event or not, but part of the content drop is a new "historical recreation" like the Starbase 1 and Binary Stars missions, this one of the Synth attack on Mars.
    I will not mince words here. This is not a battle you can win. But it's not a battle you must lose either. The goal of this training is to give you a critical piece of history to carry with you in your heart, rather than just as a number in your mind. Maybe then, when the next tragedy strikes, our grand strategy will be up to the task of countering the waves of the butterfly effect from doing more damage.
    And you know both of these ships are going to be on sale somewhere:
    qi6nvudw6hip.png
    If I had to bet, the Synth ship will be in a lockbox. After what they did with the Inquiry I'm not even going to guess at that weird Starfleet ship.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Nah, I'm just going to keep on pretending it didn't happen, 'cause everything about it is dumb and it contradicts STO's version of canon.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11479283-upgrade-a-t6-ship-for-free

New power creep feature, zen store item to upgrade any tier 5, 5U, or 6 ship with one device slot, a universal console slot, and a starship trait slot, and appends an -X on your ship's class.

One free per account after it goes live, zen store and phoenix boxes for more, also promised from "gameplay" in the future (guessing grind events). Like the T5U upgrade once you do it to a ship, it's free on the same ship for alts.

Hevach on
  • Options
    k2yffufysmdb.png

Infinity lockbox has a new ship added, the Mirror Warship. I've neglected the shipwank for a while, but this one I really like from a lore perspective.

As you know, the Constitution-class Defiant ended up in the mirror universe in the 22nd century where it revolutionized Terran methods for blowing shit up. It was by far the most advanced warship in the known universe at the time, but it wasn't enough for Hoshi. This is what the Terrans ended up doing with her after the events of In a Mirror Darkly - a 5/3 monstrosity with two commander seats (tactical and engineering).

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    2 Commander seats? hot damn

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It does have a trade off. A normal tier 6 ship has COM/LTC/3LT or COM/2LTC/LT/EN. This one has 2COM/LTC/2EN. Ensign tactical and science don't offer a whole lot of interesting options.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ah that's more fair that I was expecting for a lockbox ship

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Finally got five fleet modules. Decided to go for the Atrox. Accidentally bought the T5 instead of the T6. Just here to remind everyone to double-check what you're buying (and vent a tiny bit). Oh well, at least this one didn't cost me real money

• Options
    edited October 2020
    PC? I'll throw you the modules to try again - I've been sitting on 13 of them and they can have my Armitage when they pry it from my cold dead hands or give me a pilot version, so they're not going anywhere.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    PC? I'll throw you the modules to try again - I've been sitting on 13 of them and they can have my Armitage when they pry it from my cold dead hands or give me a pilot version, so they're not going anywhere.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you about it

• Options
    edited October 2020
    New queue event is... Uh...
    Long and awkward with a very busy but also very boring climax. At no point are you in any real danger - the strongest enemies are weak frigates with beams and no torpedoes. You fly around beaming up signals as they appear and beaming them to whatever has an open slot, every few minutes the borders close in things happen a bit closer together but not really any faster.

At the end the ships you beamed people to will try to leave amid a constant barrage of useless enemies. At this point they all bugged out on us and just sat there, we eventually got the whole team to stop fighting so the enemy would have a chance to just kill off the transports, because as it was we were just farming drops for a good 20 minutes. I stopped moving and took my hands off the keyboard, and it took almost two full minutes to die, and this was with a screen filling nightmare of targets.

It has ONE redeeming feature: It gives really good rewards. 480 dilithium and the max score is over 180 marks, though the way the narrowing map works it's probably impossible to save any of the helper ships except by luck - they don't retreat and get caught outside the circle when it narrows, and I watched one just fly straight out of the circle and get vaporized. Out of 30+ helper ships we saved one cruiser because it got stuck on the starbase and couldn't get itself killed. Those ships will shave about 25 marks off the max, but that's still way more than most queue events you actually need to WORK for.

Haven't played the mission yet, but it's teaser image is more promising than the queue:

fnqon1dqxldu.png

Edit:
    Ok, mission is a lot better. Dinosaur's name is Squamous and she is the personal pet of a Ferengi we've seen before. Bug Eyes also has an over-the-top pet that makes an appearance.
    It's a roided-up murder-targ with nanopulse blades for tusks.
    You kill EVERYONE'S pets.

Hevach on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I liked the new episode (still makes zero sense as a famous Federation captain, of course) but I can't imagine doing it 19 more times. If the TFO is an annoying slog then I guess I just won't be getting the item set.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Strikor wrote: »
    I liked the new episode (still makes zero sense as a famous Federation captain, of course) but I can't imagine doing it 19 more times. If the TFO is an annoying slog then I guess I just won't be getting the item set.

I enjoyed it, and assuming they fix the bugs think it will be a decent addition to the TFO roster. What it isn't is a test of either tanking or DPS; your goal is keeping NPC ships alive and collecting points while being attacked by enemies that are basically one step up from fighters, so ship builds mean a lot less than they normally do.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I'd like to be able to get my free token of the phoenix man but alas. I hope that's on the list for whatever's being fixed right now.

Update: It was not!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Lower Decks spoiler
    So, that season finale makes a T6 Luna and an upgraded model a whole lot more likely.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    The patched changed the Synth Wave TFO a bit more than the fix in the patch notes... which isn't actually fixed.

What did change, however:

-Helper NPC ships fly in to the final safe zone and circle the station while fighting, so cruisers and battleships have a fair shot at survival. This is a nice boost to the already generous payouts - I'm routinely getting 120-130 (plus daily bonuses).
    -Synths have larger ships than just frigates. All their ships still have nothing but a single forward beam cannon, so there's no real danger, but there is a sense of pressure.

It's a HUGE loot pinata. Big mark rewards and metric fucktons of drops, even more now with bigger ships. It's almost hard to mash F enough to get them all.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ruj5otg835se.png

I missed this line in the chaos of that room every time so far. What the actual fuck?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hansel does somewhat resemble a Ferengi. The Nagus we deserve.

In other news, I finished up all the Binary Stars i could handle and unlocked the Plain and Simple pack on Xbone. Cardassian ship is okay, but pack is worth it for the facial animations on your Holo Garak, plus he's an Engineering Miracle Worker, something I was lacking, especially on my KDF admiralette.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ruj5otg835se.png

I missed this line in the chaos of that room every time so far. What the actual fuck?

Are you suggesting that Mugatos are not hot?

• Options
    Seeing as my character was getting pounded in the butt by six of them at once when he said that...

• Options
    The new Star Trek novel by two-time Hugo nominee Chuck Tingle.

• Options
    Ships are 20% off on PC at the moment. I picked up some weird Dewan thing for the gravity well trait and the ship itself shits out a trail of glitter as it moves. There are a LOT of weird ships in this game and I love it.

• Options
    Next grind event is cross platform... but the reward isn't.

PC gets a giant death metal laser pig combat pet, with the option to buy a demon pig to go with it, and a set bonus for both (each one summons the other to go with it):
    qwvyfxhcizpt.png

Consoles get one Great Value Brand Blade of Chaos, melee weapon with a ranged grapple attack.
    pfzwqifq9ym5.png

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Laser Pig has a set bonus?? neat!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Red Alert event is active once again. Get yourself an ultimate tech upgrade. Tholian is the fastest one, Borg is okay but isn't as easy for 1 person to blast through like Tholian, and Tzenkethi has a fail option.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Some neat changes coming for loadouts: all traits will be saved, and you will have separate slots for space and ground active reputation powers, 5 each. This is a big buff if you split and a huge ground buff if you pile them on space.

Also, loadouts will remember if you enable or disable visuals on any items, and include the cosmetic slots.

Also, a new legendary ship thing, this time for Discovery. Boost to 65, starter pack of various stuff, and a new Walker class 5/3 battle cruiser with all the consoles that have been on past variants and also Antimatter Spread for... Reasons I guess.

Some new variants, too:

bfouv6ei0iu1.png

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    A change in the patch notes that is interesting: ALL combat pets without a specified time limit ALL now persist for 5 minutes unless killed, and don't beam out the second they leave combat.

This mostly applies to device summons (mugato, furiadon, horta, tardigrade, etc), as kit/trait/captain power summons all have specified timers, but it does effectively mean that all such pets are now on comparable footing with the Elachi walker (whose main distinction was the ability to persist outside of combat), and my away team is starting to look like some twisted Pokemon nightmare.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Trait changes are live but skills are invalid and need to be manually reset again.

• Options
    Trait changes are live but skills are invalid and need to be manually reset again.

kxsg7KSO.jpg

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I'm glad to see the new event TFO is way less of a slog than the stupid synth event. I might even finish the event this time!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    On PC at least this was an event a few months ago, too, and it's a lot more fun than Synth Wave. There's actually things going on and distinct phases, and you're under as much threat as you would be in any normal content that isn't one of the gimick based factions like Tzenkethi.

Synth Wave was just spamming AOE and interactions. Even just dropping shields on transport like Assault on Terok Nor would have at least given it an edge of danger, because you could get ripped to shreds beaming assault teams down in that mission.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Warp factor one... two... one two three...

zmt4kzelcd8o.png

Tier 6 version of the Luna-class Recon Science Vessel: Titan-class Science Destroyer. No stupid tricksies this time like the last one, shit's right in the store for regular old funbux.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I’ve waited years for this.

Now give me those 2385 uniforms!

• Options
    Starship trait is "It's Another Enterprise" that warps in a friendly ship to help when you use tactical/engineering/science fleet. Fucking spectacular.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    A friendly *dreadnought* at that.

Of course sounds like it doesn't persist very long, dreadnoughts are mostly about their huge durability than damage output. If it only lives 30 seconds or something there's not a lot of difference between an Odyssey and a Sovereign.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I tend to specialize the shit out of my ships so I can't see myself ever using that trait but I just love that it even exists in the first place.

I love my Glenn (temporal abilities are just insane AOE damage), but I'm slightly tempted to grab that Luna in a few months when I have the zen and go full torpedo boat. Bonus points if it comes with an experimental weapon slot like the other Science Destroyers so I can put the Dual Warhead Launcher on there which spits out a pair of photos every few seconds.

• Options
    So uh, they forgot to faction restrict the Titan meaning KDF can claim it. And they're actually going to leave it that way.

So very, very tempted to have a gorn crew flying a Federation ship.

• Options
    And they're actually going to leave it that way.

!

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    And they're actually going to leave it that way.

!

You can always rationalize it in-lore as being a result of the Khitomer's success and strengthening bonds between the Federation and the Empire.

But it's also possible that there is no rationalization and CBS just doesn't give a shit about what Cryptic does anymore.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Now I just need the 2385 uniforms.

This discussion has been closed.