[STO] Star Trek Online: Revenge of Holographic Abraham Lincoln

15152535456

Posts

  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    They vary but in general IDW's licensed stuff has been very good. I loved the mirror TNG comics, the shelf price on those almost covers the bundle.

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Damnit, weird looking hybrid ships and Beefy Voyager have intrigued me.
    Firing up the launcher f or the first time in months certainly, possibly years.

    Patching is going to be a bitch.

    As for bad financial decisions... well, I got the lifetime sub back in the day, so I clearly have a history for that.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    PreacherStrikorCommander ZoomBlackDragon480
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    I'm seeing so many Sovereign and Galaxy classes around ever since Picard started and they got the texture/model overhauls. I love it. Maybe I'll pick one up for my tactical dude since I have him in cruisers. The fleet T6 version anyway, I already dropped $200 on a lifetime subscription last year, I'm not throwing another $200 at it (I say, trying to talk myself out of it).

    Strikor on
    I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    So, try as I might I can't headcanon Warship Voyager.

    Daedalus makes some sense, Voyager kept the specs and even recreated the engine, and we see it fighting with the Enterprise-J against the Sphere Builders so it seems Starfleet liked it well enough (STO did a hilarious job explaining the bizarre ship selection used in that scene).

    Warship Voyager, however, hasn't been dreamt up yet. Voyager's involvement plunged two worlds into a centuries long dark age, and Warship Voyager, Android Doctor, and Maiori Chakotay were what they pieced together afterward. It was another lengthy stretch until the copy of the Doctor left to find the Federation, likely bringing back the Warship Voyager design. Those two worlds are still reeling from the destruction.

    Still, it's a crazy 12 year old's fan art of a ship and I fucking love it.


    Edit: I don't know why my brain has been blanking on ship #10, I must have forgotten that the TOS Constitution only shared skins with the Discovery version, the TMP Connie had its own skin set. So calling double Constitutions for the last two.

    Hevach on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I've been pondering if this year might see a level increase to 70 and then at the new cap characters can fly any ship from any faction because they are Alliance rather than Fed or Klingon. Waters have already been tested with the Jem Hadar and Warbirds going account wide. It'd be a bit odd but I could see it working if there's not some horrific code goblin preventing it. (Which knowing what we do about the old code there probably is)

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Hevach
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Reloaded the game, made a new toon to go through the tutorials again.
    Now, the important question: how do I turn off the pop up notifications? I don't care that Admiral Bob just got a thing, I just want to blow up some space ships.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 9
    I've been pondering if this year might see a level increase to 70 and then at the new cap characters can fly any ship from any faction because they are Alliance rather than Fed or Klingon. Waters have already been tested with the Jem Hadar and Warbirds going account wide. It'd be a bit odd but I could see it working if there's not some horrific code goblin preventing it. (Which knowing what we do about the old code there probably is)

    Honestly I don't think there's much barrier involved - there've been weird bugs where a faction can slip through the barrier and end up with access to something that should be reserved for the other faction. The devs did once say that to make a ship for both factions, they needed to make two versions of it, but then somebody went and got a Varanus cruiser on a Fed character and shortly after they released the original Jem'hadar fighter, so I've come to suspect the faction barrier is implemented at the UI layer.


    This year is an expansion year, IF they stick to their usual release cycle. The Discovery stuff has kind of derailed that, though, it feels like they kind of spun their wheels after Victory is Life until this last update blew the doors off.

    see317 wrote: »
    Reloaded the game, made a new toon to go through the tutorials again.
    Now, the important question: how do I turn off the pop up notifications? I don't care that Admiral Bob just got a thing, I just want to blow up some space ships.

    Down arrow on the minimap, Notification Settings. Gameplay Notifications is the one you want to turn off. There's some evidence that those notifications are faked anyway.

    Edit: Also, remember nearly all tier 6 ships scale from level 1, so once you're out of the tutorial hop in your favorite ship rather than have to switch every two hours.

    Hevach on
    see317
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    One of my toons is an engineering officer and I always found them doing the least damage in space so i'm doing some experimenting, I looked up an exotic particle damage build and it it pretty effective.
    Pop a gravity well to clump a group of ships together and then hit them with a charged particle burst that does 9000 radiation damage every second for 9 seconds. Once one ship explodes it sets off a chain reaction of exploding ships.
    Its pretty fun!

    Commander Zoom
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I had a similar experience with Engineer which is why I switched him from cruisers to escorts. It makes a huge difference in survivability which helps your DPS by not exploding.

    I've always wanted to try an exotic torpedo science build but I've just never gotten around to it.

    I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Double Connie is the last pair of ships.

    Booo for no new "current day" skins though

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 10
    Not the double Constitution I predicted, though - Discovery era on its own, and TOS era merged with TMP. Alternate skins are both concept art.

    TOS/TMP era has Matt Jeffries' Phase II concept art refigured into a missing link between TOS and TMP.
    iu83o1hxbzmq.png

    Discovery era gets three skins that are basically the same thing, new skin is John Eaves concept art that both show versions were based on:
    1lsm8heq9rsd.png

    Hevach on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    The lockbox Disconnie is still slightly better than the one included in the package... but that time crystal trait could be nice depending on the numbers.

  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Footage of the Legendary Ships. Importantly the butts of the ships.



    I like the new Odyssey even more now, that flat deck and a rounder saucer look really nice

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    PreacherCommander ZoomBlackDragon480
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    Legacy starter pack, T1-6 scaling Miranda and some other random stuff.
    Edit: Having trouble with the key share thingie, one sec.
    Edit 2: Maybe this is the right tags?
    Loading...?


    There we go. Anyway, a website was claiming to be giving away the Europa, but the key I got was actually for this, which I already have.

    Hevach on
    Commander ZoomStrikor
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    Footage of the Legendary Ships. Importantly the butts of the ships.



    I like the new Odyssey even more now, that flat deck and a rounder saucer look really nice

    I really want that new Odyssey... Honestly don't care about anything else... definitely not worth $150 for 1 ship I want, even if it comes with all 6 previous consoles...

    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Apparently all of these ships are bundle only, too, they posted on Reddit no individual pricing.

  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Apparently all of these ships are bundle only, too, they posted on Reddit no individual pricing.

    Yup. Eff that.

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    HevachStrikor
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    'Whale' springs to mind whenever I think about those ship-bundles which is a shame.

  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    I only just discovered that Phoenix boxes are permanent now. 10 for 40k dilithium, seems to average about 1.7 upgrades per box after burning close to a million. Those upgrades are among the best in the game, behind Omega* and the ones that come with overpriced stuff in Mudd's Market. Slammed about a dozen items from very/ultra rare all the way to epic in one sitting. Plus a slim chance of some pretty damn good ships if I hit the top two tiers (hit one ultra rare in my big pile).

    *-the way Omega upgrades now give rarity OR tier exp arguably makes Phoenix better in general.

    Hevach on
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I only just discovered that Phoenix boxes are permanent now. 10 for 40k dilithium, seems to average about 1.7 upgrades per box after burning close to a million. Those upgrades are among the best in the game, behind Omega* and the ones that come with overpriced stuff in Mudd's Market. Slammed about a dozen items from very/ultra rare all the way to epic in one sitting. Plus a slim chance of some pretty damn good ships if I hit the top two tiers (hit one ultra rare in my big pile).

    *-the way Omega upgrades now give rarity OR tier exp arguably makes Phoenix better in general.

    You can still make the standard Omegas for 3 shards with no dilithium cost. The 2 new ones each take 2 shards but have a dilithium cost (2000 per for mark, which has more TP than the Phoenix upgrades bit not quite double, and 4500 per for the 8x quality ones I believe)

    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I'm in the very fortunate position of having made a massive pile of zen last year when it was a lot cheaper on the exchange so I've ended up with the pack. An unforeseen side effect is that I'm now getting to play with fun stuff like the flippy pilot maneuvers and the miracle worker mechanics. My only real gripe is that the Vesta Aux phasers can't be fitted to NuVoyager so I guess it'll have to be double torps up front once I get the Discovery grav well talent earned.

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Strikor
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    With the current Zen sale bonus, I could probably JUST manage to get the pack for $100 (I think I have a little over 6k saved up, $100 would get me another 13.5k). $10 per ship isn't too bad, though there are a few I really don't care about like the Kelvin Constitution but at least those still work as Admiralty cards.

    ...god damnit, STO.

    I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
    see317
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just curious if we know what the odds are of getting the Borg ship out of a box.
    Because I've amassed and exchanged a fairly substantial quantity of non-Borg ship rewards in my pursuit of that blocky boi, and wondering if maybe I should find a different unicorn to chase.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited February 13
    ~1% or less iirc

    received wisdom is to EC buy anything specific from a box rather than open them for it. Assuming you can find one on the exchange that is.

    Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Commander ZoomStrikor
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Tests done by duplicating items on tribble have put it around 0.5%. Running 500-700 million on the exchange, based on the price of keys you'll have it faster selling keys, though you could have the ship and a lot of EC if you opened boxes and sold everything else. Not to mention on average you get a ship worth of lobi from a similar number of lock boxes, so you could get out of it with two ships.


    Bad news: The legendary pack is limited time. After it goes up to full price it'll go away at some unspecified time. Many many bitter tears.

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    So, unicorn caught and assimilated.
    brtqynd052cs.jpg

    And holy shit does it not move. It makes the cruisers from my original character look nimble. Maybe once I get some points in engineering to help increase that...

    Still, it is kind of fun to go through all the "No! Bad Romulans! Using Borg tech is dangerous and wrong!" stuff while flying a Borg ship, wielding borg weapons, and, yes, being a liberated borg myself.

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Commander ZoomPreacherHevachSnicketysnickBlackDragon480Strikor
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I've gotten used to my main, who has something like 350 doffs and nothing below blue, but grinding my recruits for account rewards has some fun times. A poker game on my TOS recruit ended in a disaster with two dead and three in sickbay for three days.

    PreacherSnicketysnickBlackDragon480StrikorCommander ZoomBasil
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    So, unicorn caught and assimilated.
    brtqynd052cs.jpg

    And holy shit does it not move. It makes the cruisers from my original character look nimble. Maybe once I get some points in engineering to help increase that...

    Still, it is kind of fun to go through all the "No! Bad Romulans! Using Borg tech is dangerous and wrong!" stuff while flying a Borg ship, wielding borg weapons, and, yes, being a liberated borg myself.

    Who would know better, how bad it can get?

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I've gotten used to my main, who has something like 350 doffs and nothing below blue, but grinding my recruits for account rewards has some fun times. A poker game on my TOS recruit ended in a disaster with two dead and three in sickbay for three days.

    1. That's why you make everyone check their weapons before they sit down.
    2. Routine Turbolift Maintenance

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    HevachBlackDragon480Preacher
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Hevach wrote: »
    I've gotten used to my main, who has something like 350 doffs and nothing below blue, but grinding my recruits for account rewards has some fun times. A poker game on my TOS recruit ended in a disaster with two dead and three in sickbay for three days.

    1. That's why you make everyone check their weapons before they sit down.
    2. Routine Turbolift Maintenance

    Routine maintenance is apparently a deathtrap on a Galaxy-X. I assume all the Jeffries tubes and turbolift shafts are angled down to a spot on deck 42 where all the bodies collect next to the antimatter pods.

    It's the opposite of the shows, the safest place to be is beaming down to the planet with an admiral, a captain, the doctor, and the chief engineer. The most dangerous place to be is delivering crew performance reviews or running a diagnostic on the EMH.

    Hevach on
    BlackDragon480Commander ZoomStrikor
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Hevach wrote: »
    It's the opposite of the shows, the safest place to be is beaming down to the planet with an admiral, a captain, the doctor, and the chief engineer. The most dangerous place to be is delivering crew performance reviews or running a diagnostic on the EMH.

    I've seen enough movies where doctors go bad, and computers going bad is a mainstay of Trek.
    Combining the two? Yeah, no thanks. Give me endless waves of borg drones while I can hide behind the captain.

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    PreacherHevach
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    It's the opposite of the shows, the safest place to be is beaming down to the planet with an admiral, a captain, the doctor, and the chief engineer. The most dangerous place to be is delivering crew performance reviews or running a diagnostic on the EMH.

    I've seen enough movies where doctors go bad, and computers going bad is a mainstay of Trek.
    Combining the two? Yeah, no thanks. Give me endless waves of borg drones while I can hide behind the captain.

    The captain's armament include a Bajoran Orb, a dinosaur, and a machine that turns back time if everybody dies, so... yeah, me too.

    Commander Zoomsee317Strikor
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Not to mention a button that summons a mini-ship to shoot phasers and TORPEDOES at people.

    I caved and dropped $100 for the legendary bundle. Pilot maneuvers Defiant is incredibly fun though I could do without the massive thruster visual effect. Make full throttle flank attack runs then immediately woosh back 5km to keep it going. The seating is different than my T6 Fleet Defiant so I think I need to set it up as an Aux2Batt boat for cooldown reductions. Tactical cruiser dude will probably end up in a Phase II Constitution since he already has a full set of pulse phasers.

    I was killing Thresher Maws on foot before I knew it was a Krogan rite of passage.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Not to mention a button that summons a mini-ship to shoot phasers and TORPEDOES at people.

    Sometimes I imagine an inspector going through my ship and asking what all the stuff is.
    "What's in this box?"
    "400 autographed photographs of Q."
    "Why?"
    *shrug*
    "And this one?"
    "That's Jimmy."
    "Jimmy looks like a torpedo."
    "Jimmy is a sentient torpedo, yes."
    "And..."
    "Timmy."
    "Timmy looks like a dinosaur."
    "Timmy is a dinosaur."
    "Why is this pattern enhancer in a weapons locker?"
    "Every once in a while it makes people fall out of time. Wow, you're writing on your clip board an awful lot."

    Strikorsee317Commander ZoomBasilSnicketysnick
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    "And is that one of the Bajoran's most holy relics, just stored in your footlocker?
    "It said it liked me better.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    BasilBlackDragon480
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Warlord Janeway would approve of sto players.

    9KmX8eN.jpg
    StrikorSnicketysnickCommander Zoomsee317HevachTransporter
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 15
    see317 wrote: »
    "And is that one of the Bajoran's most holy relics, just stored in your footlocker?
    "It said it liked me better.

    "In my defense, they said I could take a piece of it and it's all there in one piece. Please stop writing on your clipboard."

    "Don't open that door, that's where the rock eating lava slugs live."
    thewhat.jpg


    Are trophies still hooked up for new players or are they just a holdover from many overhauls ago? Because if I remember right Q's throne is sitting my crew lounge and I have a severed Borg head on the wall in my ready room, those might take some explaining.

    Hevach on
    Basil
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    "And is that one of the Bajoran's most holy relics, just stored in your footlocker?
    "It said it liked me better.

    "In my defense, they said I could take a piece of it and it's all there in one piece. Please stop writing on your clipboard."

    "Don't open that door, that's where the rock eating lava slugs live."
    thewhat.jpg


    Are trophies still hooked up for new players or are they just a holdover from many overhauls ago? Because if I remember right Q's throne is sitting my crew lounge and I have a severed Borg head on the wall in my ready room, those might take some explaining.

    Just remind the inspector that they've been a lieutenant serving under investigations for years, while you obtained your admiralty and control of a fleet of starships, each equipped with sufficient firepower to reduce a planet to ash, after saving the entire galaxy a half dozen times over the course of a long weekend, and then inquire if they still wish to continue asking questions.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    StrikorBlackDragon480
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    "And is that one of the Bajoran's most holy relics, just stored in your footlocker?
    "It said it liked me better.

    "In my defense, they said I could take a piece of it and it's all there in one piece. Please stop writing on your clipboard."

    "Don't open that door, that's where the rock eating lava slugs live."
    thewhat.jpg


    Are trophies still hooked up for new players or are they just a holdover from many overhauls ago? Because if I remember right Q's throne is sitting my crew lounge and I have a severed Borg head on the wall in my ready room, those might take some explaining.

    Just remind the inspector that they've been a lieutenant serving under investigations for years, while you obtained your admiralty and control of a fleet of starships, each equipped with sufficient firepower to reduce a planet to ash, after saving the entire galaxy a half dozen times over the course of a long weekend, and then inquire if they still wish to continue asking questions.

    "I've taken down bigger men than you with this clipboard."
    "I've taken down bigger men than me with this machinegun."
    "Which you've been carrying around the ship this whole time."
    "It's... It's on stun."
    *pen clicks*

    (no matter how advanced technology is, the laws of physics require inspectors to have a clickie-top pen and a clipboard, not an electronic device).

    BlackDragon480Commander ZoomStrikor
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    "And is that one of the Bajoran's most holy relics, just stored in your footlocker?
    "It said it liked me better.

    "In my defense, they said I could take a piece of it and it's all there in one piece. Please stop writing on your clipboard."

    "Don't open that door, that's where the rock eating lava slugs live."
    thewhat.jpg


    Are trophies still hooked up for new players or are they just a holdover from many overhauls ago? Because if I remember right Q's throne is sitting my crew lounge and I have a severed Borg head on the wall in my ready room, those might take some explaining.

    Just remind the inspector that they've been a lieutenant serving under investigations for years, while you obtained your admiralty and control of a fleet of starships, each equipped with sufficient firepower to reduce a planet to ash, after saving the entire galaxy a half dozen times over the course of a long weekend, and then inquire if they still wish to continue asking questions.

    "I've taken down bigger men than you with this clipboard."
    "I've taken down bigger men than me with this machinegun."
    "Which you've been carrying around the ship this whole time."
    "It's... It's on stun."
    *pen clicks*

    (no matter how advanced technology is, the laws of physics require inspectors to have a clickie-top pen and a clipboard, not an electronic device).

    Curiously enough, the reverse is also true, which is why Krog the Cave Inspector was bludgeoned to death for suspected witchcraft when he clicked his twig three times.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Commander ZoomBasilHevach
Sign In or Register to comment.