As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Old thread is old

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    So should I respec then or am I ok?

Also I have 1 out of the 3 jem hadar dealies on my ship, is it worth redoing that machine and getting the other 2 for the complete set?

I think you'll be ok. If you were going to change anything what I'd do is lose the points in Graviton generators, maybe pull a couple points out of Structural Integrity and lose the Threat control and then add some points in Energy Weapon Specialization and Armor reinforcements. I could be way off base but that's what I'd do.

It's not a big deal though. You've got a lot of points in the right places. A respec can definitely wait.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Wolvesight wrote:
    I may be completely out of date, but the last I read it was a bit of a waste of allocated stat points to max things out like that. Usually you can fill up through 6 bars and be good to go.

No, you're absolutely right. The cost of buying points in a skill past 6 just isn't worth it.

@hardtarget Basically, you're gonna wanna try to buy your skills to 6 points rather than the full 9, it lets you develop a much broader range of skills which frankly, results in a more versatile and survivable build more often than not. Rather than list all the skills you should buy, I'll list the ones you can ignore since it's a much shorter list.

Skills to ignore: starship countermeasure systems, starship graviton generators, starship particle generators, starship sensors, starship stealth, starship subspace decompiler, starship threat control

Unless you plan to run as a torpedo boat, I'd also take some points out of starship projectile weapon specialization and allocate them into starship energy weapon specialization instead.

As far as consoles go, I'd try and run a full four tactical damage consoles. Probably four phaser relay consoles if you're partial to phasers. In engineering consoles, I'd slot in any universal consoles you positively want to run with, then devote the remaining slots to neutronium armor consoles for damage resistance, or possibly an RCS console for extra turn rate if you should desire it.

I'd actually recommend cutting the number of phasers you run down to 5, or 6 tops. Keep in mind that directed energy damage (both beams and cannons) scale their damage based on the distance between you and the target, and the current level of your weapon power indicator bar. Though having that many beam weapons is nice, the power drain from firing so many beam weapons at once will really do a number on your damage output. I'd recommend taking out two of the beam weapons from the back and replacing them with torpedo or mine launchers of your choice since both of those are not affected by your weapon power levels.

Out of curiosity, have you started doing any rep projects yet? It looks like all your equipment is fairly stock stuff. Alot of the stuff you can build in the rep projects is considerably better and will expand your capabilities considerably.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what Rep Projects even are? My stuff is all old and lame :(

I need like "baby's first level 50 STO guide" and it just tells me what to do lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote:
    So should I respec then or am I ok?

Also I have 1 out of the 3 jem hadar dealies on my ship, is it worth redoing that machine and getting the other 2 for the complete set?

I'd respec personally. The jem'hadar stuff is a decent starter set without having to delve into the rep project stuff. It's certainly better than the stock stuff you have now, and doing the jem'hadar stuff now would probably give you the mk XI variants which would definitely be better than the mk x stuff you've got now. Once you start getting stuff from rep projects however, you'll probably find that stuff much superior to the jem'hadar set.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote:
    I have no idea what Rep Projects even are? My stuff is all old and lame :(

Ohhh okay. No worries. :D

I found this handy dandy reputation system guide that should hopefully explain the basics.

http://www.stoacademy.com/guides/reputation.php

The marks you use to complete rep projects are earned via mostly STF's, though some of them can be earned via battlezones or certain repeatable missions as well.

• Options
    oh god STFs?
    There is so much of this game now and a million different currencies, I don't know how I'll ever get this shipped equipped properly!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote:
    oh god STFs?
    There is so much of this game now and a million different currencies, I don't know how I'll ever get this shipped equipped properly!

It looks more intimidating than it actually is. STF's (Special Task Forces) are basically just queued instances. They come in three levels of difficulty (normal, advanced, and elite) and are generally fairly quick to do (most of them can be completed within 15-20 minutes, no more than an hour tops. Post-50 these are actually what you'll probably be doing the most. You can queue for them with a pre-formed team or you can queue solo and the game will automatically set you up with a pickup group when the instance starts.

- Normal difficulty STF's reward you with XP, dilithium, a package of basic crafting materials, and marks for use in reputation projects.
    - Advanced difficulty STF's reward you with more XP, more dilithium, a package of rare crafting materials (with a chance for very rare crafting materials), more rep marks, and a rare reputation resource used for crafting unique equipment in the reputation project.
    - Elite STF's reward you with the most XP, the most dilithium, very rare crafting materials, the most rep marks, rare rep resources, and a piece of ancient tech used to craft the highest grade of equipment upgrade packages.

To begin with you'll probably want to start with normal difficulty STF's until you get better equipped, then slowly branch out into advanced STF's after you've gotten to know the various STF instances and how they run. Elite STF's are pretty much for the most hardcore of the hardcore. Cryptic pulls no punches with Elite STF's, so expect those to be punishingly hard. On the plus side, advanced STF's are perfectly viable for getting yourself equipped, so Elite STF's are strictly optional.

• Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    You really don't want to pug advanced STFs. With the hard failure conditions you're going to be wasting your time for no reward. What I heard is that an average of 15k dps is ideal now for the advanced but don't have the numbers to back it up. The average pubie in the public queues dps is terrible you'll have a bad experience don't pug advanced. A normal difficulty pug should be fine.

I mostly queue with Fleet members, from PubESTF or the DPS-Channels. PUBESTF is a public channel and allows anyone to join and I've had great experiences with pre-formed teams from this channel prior to DR. After DR it has been more of hit or miss.

If you can get in the DPS-Channels they have been great. They are private channels that you have to parse over a certain amount on ISA to get in. So over 10k Dps for the 10kdps-Channel and over 20kdps for the 20k DPS-Channel. Google STO DPS Channel for the parser if you want to give it a shot.

• Options
    hah oh man. So I have these 3 Mk XI Jem'Hadar space pieces now, so the full set. Figure this can take me into the end game but I should use the new upgrade system to make them XII. So got around to looking into how to do that... NOPE. Don't have any of hte R&D stuff upgraded, basically have no dilithium, and the tech upgrades on the exchange are also exorbitant. This whole dilithium system is crazy.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I haven't played this game in ages and am thinking of picking it up again. Essentially I'd be starting again from scratch. How hard is it going to be for me to get back in the swing of things?

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    hah oh man. So I have these 3 Mk XI Jem'Hadar space pieces now, so the full set. Figure this can take me into the end game but I should use the new upgrade system to make them XII. So got around to looking into how to do that... NOPE. Don't have any of hte R&D stuff upgraded, basically have no dilithium, and the tech upgrades on the exchange are also exorbitant. This whole dilithium system is crazy.

Tech upgrades can be had for cheap from most of the vendors at ESD, though they're the basic ones.
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I haven't played this game in ages and am thinking of picking it up again. Essentially I'd be starting again from scratch. How hard is it going to be for me to get back in the swing of things?

Not hard, but it never hurts to roll a new character.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options

Tech upgrades can be had for cheap from most of the vendors at ESD, though they're the basic ones.
    ya but it takes thousands of dilithium to do all the upgrades!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Thousands. Ha. Hahahahahaha.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So having flown 3 of the 5 fed t6 ships I'm going to give my opinions based on my experience with them.

Guardian- This one was the worst for me, slow, its console was kind of meh and didn't get really any of the t6 abilities (no scanning, and the only intelligence seating was a lieutenant engy). It does have full cruiser commands unlike the eclipse if that factors in for you. limited customization options (you can either have double nacelles or singular)

Eclipse- Fun ship, has a commander engy intelligence, decent turn radius and speed for a cruiser (it actually turns faster than the avenger), limited cruiser commands (engine power, weapons, no defensive), its power can be a nice oh shiiii button but don't expect to it to destroy your enemies.

Phantom- Personal favorite, its fast like a defiant, good boff seating for a solid dps build, the phaser lance is a solid opener or in a pinch a nice closer and opens up your enemy for exploiting. Decent customization options if you have the delta rising pack for the extra nacelles.

After having flown all three my preferred order is the Phantom, Eclipse, Guardian. Though getting all to t5 status is great for all their ship traits.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    So, what do you guys think the inevitable One Ship to Rule Them All is going to be for Delta Rising? The Romulan expansion had the Scimitar, and I can't imagine Cryptic can resist going back to that money trough.

My money's on some kind of super Intrepid, with looks similar to what Voyager ends up looking like in the final episode of the series. It'd fit with the Delta theme, and they could throw in that lovely Intrepid/Voyager interior.

• Options
    Vadawar heavy artillery ship. Fight one of the epics and you can't tell me that shit is not op!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I fought one of those today. I want one.

• Options
    They aren't supposed to be ridiculous, its a bug that causes them to show up on normals, but holy shit they can be aggravating because they can damn near one shot a cruiser with their bullshit aoe attack and scratching through their shields can take forever.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I was trying to update my client a few days back, it's been a long time since I've played and I was pretty out of date so I decided to let it download and install the updates over night. At some point, I lost my internet connection killing the updates like half way through downloading. Since then, when I launch the updater, it says it's patching, but there's no progress bar or even the blinking periods next to "Patching", like the thing is frozen though the links and buttons still respond to mouse over or clicking.

Any suggestions on what I can try to get this working? I'm hoping I don't have to delete and reinstall the game from 0.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Click options and set it to do a force verify.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:
    They aren't supposed to be ridiculous, its a bug that causes them to show up on normals, but holy shit they can be aggravating because they can damn near one shot a cruiser with their bullshit aoe attack and scratching through their shields can take forever.

The AoE attack isn't so bad once you figure out that the little white pop-up crosshairs indicate the areas it'll be hitting. Usually, you can just pop evasive maneuvers and dodge the AoE entirely. Though when there's more than one of them, I agree it can be a pain if they overlap their AoE's at the same time.

I definitely agree with you in regards to their shield strength. Also, that evasive action they take that usually cloaks (or possibly placates? Not sure.) them for a few seconds is super annoying.

• Options
    Rock and roll is basically made for fighting those ships. Try to fly out or use evasives, but if you're caught in it, rock and roll will give you an escape plus damage immunity.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:

The AoE attack isn't so bad once you figure out that the little white pop-up crosshairs indicate the areas it'll be hitting. Usually, you can just pop evasive maneuvers and dodge the AoE entirely. Though when there's more than one of them, I agree it can be a pain if they overlap their AoE's at the same time.

I definitely agree with you in regards to their shield strength. Also, that evasive action they take that usually cloaks (or possibly placates? Not sure.) them for a few seconds is super annoying.

Yeah I could usually avoid it, its just that when you get that elite ship bug, even a partial winging even on a cruiser could damn near sink you.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So, today after the patch they're releasing a new mission as an epilogue to the Vaadwaur storyline, connecting a couple loose story threads and bombshells dropped in the campaign. Screenshots show a lot of Elachi and Solanae stuff, as well some Iconian looking technology. Robert Picardo and Denise Crosby are voice acting (way back in LoR there were some dialog files of Sela found that were never used).

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9004193-bonus-episode-incoming!

Related story blogs:
    Part 1: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9003683
    Mysterious alien probe being kept on Voyager that strongly resembles Iconian probes and matches Dyson Sphere tech

Part 2: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9004083-what's-left-behind-part-2
    Unnamed group of survivors being kept captive for an extended by Solanae, with Romulan sounding names and a female leader

• Options
  • Options
    Dat promo image cries out for a caption.

"Tricorder is picking up an anomalous gas clo... wait, you farted, didn't you?"

It's the expression on the Doctor's face that sells it. I can just imagine him saying that in Robert Picardo's voice.

Come to think of it, do Romulans and Vulcans even fart? And if the do, what do they expel?

• Options
    So, the other day I mentioned how my fed captain keeps getting turned into a duplicate of my chief engineer.
    Captain Syl E'Stryng as she normally looks flanked by the duplicates...
    p2laGEf.jpg

And after a transporter malfunction in game. She's standing in the middle there between the Reman and the EMH doctor.
    hmzu5IN.jpg

My tactical captain, Bumblebee.....
    zQI7LUW.jpg

....decides to one up her by transforming into his ship :P
    ODI4cDX.jpg

• Options
    holy lol that last screenshot

that's great

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I've never encountered a bug with my captains turning into weird things, but I've also never not had 4 of the same bridge officer on the login screen. On all of my characters.

• Options
    I've never encountered a bug with my captains turning into weird things, but I've also never not had 4 of the same bridge officer on the login screen. On all of my characters.

In the Stations screen, see what the away team is set to. For some reason, the beam down dialog that comes up when you beam down will save the last thing you set up, but the stations screen will still be set to generic security officers.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

In the Stations screen, see what the away team is set to. For some reason, the beam down dialog that comes up when you beam down will save the last thing you set up, but the stations screen will still be set to generic security officers.

It's a weird glitch. My stations tab is set properly with my away team. If I switch out my main 4 officers for a completely different set, they show up exactly as they should. But when I then replace them with my normal set, I get four copies of my engineering officer. If I replace the engineer with generic security, I end up with 3 copies of my science officer.

Probably has something to do with reusing the same saved appearances on all my characters.

• Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    I still miss this bug.
    nwBwfbI.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Starting playing again for the first time since when those DS9 missions were coming out with the dominion returning. Any important stuff I should know?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    All the endgame stuff got both less and more grindy when they switched to the Reputation system, there's a bunch of things to do now other than just Borg STFs. But also Delta Rising made everything super-grindy and really really expensive - getting yourself geared for Elite STFs is now on the order of hundreds of millions, if not billions of credits, and hundreds of dollars of dilithium. Have fun with that.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    So why are lower-ranked ship weapons so expensive on the exchange? And what is a decent way to get ship gear while leveling?

My ship equipment, especially my weapons, are causing some very slow fights.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    There's two reasons. FIrst, before DR it was already more expensive relative to endgame gear because the leveling curve means people tend to be perpetually undergeared until they hit 50, so there's actually gear demand.

Second, thanks to DR it got even worse. Because it's really cheap to craft low mk equipment, mk 2s have become the main way to try and craft endgame equipment with "ideal" modifiers, since with a few purple upgrade kits they'll hit mk XII for less dilithium than the purple components for a mk XII attempt (and this way you already know you have the quality and modifiers you want rather than potentially throwing the mk XII in the trash). So people will mass-craft mk II gear (with a much higher chance at a purple than mk XII) and then take the ones with good modifiers and sell them so other people can upgrade them to endgame. So demand for [acc]x3 beams now extends to every mk level and not just mk XII.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Well that at least answers my question without solving the problem. I got spoiled on my Tactical captain because cannons seem to be relatively cheap throughout leveling. However my Engie is in worse shape then the youngest Duggar kid when they get 'new' clothes.

• Options
    If you're ok with mostly white and some green gear, you can craft any mk level of stock gear at any skill level. Until you hit mk IIX or X you only need white and green inputs, and I think up to XI there's no purple materials needed.

• Options
    Looks like green inputs for that level are crazy as well. Oh well -- time to do it the hard way.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote:
    Looks like green inputs for that level are crazy as well. Oh well -- time to do it the hard way.

It's worth noting that you can also repeat alot of the story missions for the completion rewards, and the rewards you receive are scaled to your character's current level when you complete the mission.

This discussion has been closed.