As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Old thread is old

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I got that one too, and I've been playing a lot recently. Probably another "everybody who hasn't blocked promotional spam in their accounts" freebie.

Also free stuff every day this week in the C-store. Today it's the 21st Century offduty costumes. Hopefully they won't cheap out on a ship this time - the last few they never even gave us a mid-tier ship, let alone a tier 5 or 6 one.

I don't mean to sound greedy, but... You know, 99% of these giveaways are just admiralty cards to us anyway.

Hevach on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I didn't get a ship! That's jank! I feel janked!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I didn't get a ship! That's jank! I feel janked!

Silver lining: you get the possibility of getting a ship. I don't on console. <3

Also beginning to suspect that the anniversary event on our game calendar is a lie.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Intelligence uniforms are the day 2 giveaway, not bad, some nice barbie parts in that set. Crossing my fingers for one of them to be the quad disruptors klingon ship, that'd be the last set of those I need.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Dang. I missed the off duty costumes and I already have the intelligence uniforms. I did get a new ship though and that's even better.

• Options
    So... it seems that we're going to get Agents of Yesterday and Artifacts on February 14th.

I also realize that I easily spend 80% of my time in this game not actually shooting stuff, but navigating menus for crafting, etc or flying in space to get to clusters for duty roster missions. They've... truly put the Trek in Star Trek.

(Source)

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Today's giveaway is 2 Ship Slots and 5 Dry-Dock Slots.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The stats blog for the anniversary ship is out as well, looks like a relatively decent science vessel. Also this nice shot of the ship from a new angle

1d0d9b75c92288c4b053f6f099a592721484336218.jpg

Key points
    Bridge Officer Stations: 1 Lieutenant Tactical, 1 Lieutenant Commander Engineering/Intel, 1 Lieutenant Science, 1 Commander Science, 1 Lieutenant Universal
    Console Modifications: 2 Tactical, 4 Engineering, 5 Science

Protomatter Capacitor (Starship Trait)

After reaching level 5 in your Lukari Ho'kuun Science Vessel [T6], you will unlock the Protomatter Capacitor Starship Trait. While this trait is slotted, hitting an enemy with Charged Particle Burst, Tachyon Beam or Energy Siphon will provide a stack of Protomatter Charge. Each stack of Protomatter Charge increases the user's Hull and Shield Regeneration. This effect stacks up to 3 times.

Interestingly, considering the Vesta leaks, no hanger listed.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Today's giveaway is 2 Ship Slots and 5 Dry-Dock Slots.

Per character! It's awesome.

• Options
    Probably no hangar so it doesn't impact Vesta sales, particularly if it's got a similar bridge seating to the engineering variant.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    It's tholian red alert weekend. AKA my poor fed captain actually hasn't learned anything since her last encounter and is just getting wrecked once more :P

edit: aka tholians in the spawn will kill you before you can even gain control of your ship again. so much fun!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Last giveaway is a T5 ship. Avenger, T'varo, or B'rel. Not bad, and I don't think any of them have been previous freebies, but for an admiralty card I wish it was the Atrox or D'Kyr.

• Options
    Nice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    boo
    Avenger Battle Cruiser was the ship I bought the T-5U token for back in the day (so one of the few things I've spent money in this game in years)

oh well

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Are the giveaway ships available to future characters if you claim one? I don't want to go on each character again like the last two days to give them something they may not use. Also, which cruiser is better; the Avenger Battlecruiser from the giveaway or the Archon Intel Assault Cruiser from the emails they sent out?

• Options
    Yeah, it's a 100% off sale in the regular store, but all three are separate, need to claim each once for them to stick.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Are the giveaway ships available to future characters if you claim one? I don't want to go on each character again like the last two days to give them something they may not use. Also, which cruiser is better; the Avenger Battlecruiser from the giveaway or the Archon Intel Assault Cruiser from the emails they sent out?

The Archon is T6 versus the Avenger's T5 so I would assume the Archon is better. I have no intention of actually using the the ships they gave away today but I grabbed them anyway because 1) free ships and it's a permanent account unlock if you grab them and 2) they can be used for Admiralty stuff.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. If you don't mind answering another question, I hit Lv50 with my AoY character and I was wondering what Specializations are considered good and what each one revolves around more or less.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for the info. If you don't mind answering another question, I hit Lv50 with my AoY character and I was wondering what Specializations are considered good and what each one revolves around more or less.

I believe Intel/Strategist are the "best", but as I'm on Xbox and we don't have Temporal, don't quote me on it.

Don't worry too much about that, though, since you can literally get every available spec point eventually. Changing your mind just sets you back a little time is all.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Temporal is actually not bad. Command gets you a pretty good ship trait, but it's not fantastic for out and out damage. I run Intel Primary and Temp secondary on my main and variations of everything on alts.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Intel here on my main, Commando(!) on KDF. I think that I will go strat in space on the KDF engy? Been banking points for temporal, and AoY possibly drops In two weeks.

I run pilot on the fed toon. It... doesn't help her. I got blown up so many times doing the shuttle mission with her. My main (sci) cleared it with ease though... she is doomed to have a high casualty rate.

Today, we should be finding out what, if anything is coming with the anniversary event on console they have on the calendar but have made no effort to address in any way to date. Yay!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Pilot is fun for the barrel roll but it is weak, even cosidering it's 30 points and space only, it's all defensive and Strategist's defensive mode is better at that.

When you first hit 50 or 60, commando can be huge. Newer ground enemies can be hard, and not just which sides to shoot/not shoot like in space. Nobody likes focusing on ground equipment but you can plug up the hole while you hear your ship.

• Options
    Aye, I went commando on the KDF because it fit her theme.

Does Strategist do anything to help carrier pets? I really, really want to keep her using them but it's just... they die so quickly.

Also looking for a ship that looks like a battlestar with hangar ports so I spam scatter volleys all day.

• Options
    Also, not just a hole stuffer, but in most solo PVE, general progress creep has benefitted space a lot more than ground, so it's a smaller hit to space than it is a buff to ground to take commando as a minor.

And of course you can change them any time in social zones, so when you're ready to hit the queues you just switch it to command or something.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    ...or just be OCD like me and fill out ALL the trees and switch freely in social zones.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Of course, but that takes time if you haven't been growing with the system. If you have, you've never been faced with more than 45 and only once with more than 30 at a time, but if you haven't, that's 150 of them dropped in your lap all at once. Need to pick a corner to pull at to get it started.

Hevach on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Aye, I went commando on the KDF because it fit her theme.

Does Strategist do anything to help carrier pets? I really, really want to keep her using them but it's just... they die so quickly.

Also looking for a ship that looks like a battlestar with hangar ports so I spam scatter volleys all day.

There's some skill points you can grab to beef them up decently, but I don't know of anything in a spec tree that helps them really.

If you have access to a frigate class, they do okay, and I think there's a doff trait that makes "launch" turn into a "heal" or something. But my Romulan Drone Ships are actually pretty tough.

• Options
    Anyone seen these yet? Cryptic put them up to show how far the game's come with a look at Sector Space at the beginning of the game...

0p8jqRoh.jpg

...and then a look at Sector Space's current reach in Season 12.

Es73uSXh.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Wasn't Gamma Orionis a season 1 addition? Or was it already there but walled off at launch? So long ago I can't remember.

I particularly like the change to the galaxy map inset. The last version suggested that available space spans something like 60% of the Alpha and Beta quadrants, but the new one more accurately paints the picture of a tiny sliver of nothing in the grand scheme.

Hevach on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    dang

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    So, my AoY captain's gotten high enough to gain access to Reputations and I thought I'd see if I can foolishly try maxing out all of them on a single character. To that end, I was wondering if perhaps on Friday night the Fleets could get together for some fun in STFs and (since I'm doing Omega first) hit the Defera Borg zone like we did in days yore.

• Options
    So, it seems that the "Anniversary Event" that was has been advertised on the consoles for the entirety of January, and asked about and met with silence... is a "typo?" Is... this the level of competence that I should expect from these guys? what the hell?

This... just. I don't even know.

• Options
    Yeah, the current community guys are complete mooks and copy/paste anything they can between posts, so if PC or a different event had similar text to the new one, they might have bits that shouldn't be.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Yeah, the current community guys are complete mooks and copy/paste anything they can between posts, so if PC or a different event had similar text to the new one, they might have bits that shouldn't be.

There's copy and pasting, and then there's posting an event on your game's calendar for two platforms, with a specific date period (February 2nd, 2017 through March 16th, 2017), whereas the PC event is stated to be from n January 26th through February 23rd 2017.

There's ignoring people asking about the event on console on various mediums (particularly the reddit).

And then finally saying "it's not happening" because "that was a bug," that they only half-assed fixed because the calendar still has the STO event listed (they removed the bar), and there's still a giant picture in the news and events advertising it because fuck you console players.

The fact that this asshat said they would explain the situation next week really just makes it worse.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Vestas are real (as we all knew from the leaks)

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10378433

d847ee0d054fe070dc252403e9fd8e711485900710.png

Stats to come, but some nice looking ships there to start with, at least for Fed and Rom, not 100% sold on the Kingon ships with their blocky Gorn look

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Yeah that rom ship is sexay.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh look, T6 Gorn ships. I'm sure KDF players won't go all-will-be-ashes over that instead of Klingon science vessels.

Roms win the pack, but I love the Fed variant with the Prometheus looking saucer.

• Options
    It looks like a battlestar. I hope the nacelles retract and it can launch vipers. Else all is wasted.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    So I got the AoY coming to PS4 email today and it is relevant to my interests. Once that drops is it possible to just ...be in TOS-mode all the time if you want? Because I might ...want.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    AoY characters get the TOS transporter, tricorder and UI effects all the time, you can't turn them off. You can also get ships that can be reskinned to TOS-style designs. The only really fiddly bit is weapons, where you'll probably have to take some of the quest reward stuff and upgrade it to a more useful power level.

Oh, and ground constructs like the medical generators for engineers don't have a TOS version as far as I know, but I've not really looked into is as I wasn't too fussed about the aesthetic.

7qmGNt5.png
This discussion has been closed.