As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sweet, sour, saucy, secret [Indulgences]

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Giabatta sliced open, a little olive oil on the insides, tomatoes and mozzarella on top. In the oven till the bread is nice and crunchy and the cheese is melty. Add dry cured ham, some ground pepper and crema di balsamico. So good.

honovere on
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Ok, but by then you're no longer talking about a grilled cheese sandwich with a little something in it. Now you're talking about a regular sandwich. A delicious, delicious sandwich!

According to a very upset guy on Reddit, it's a melt if its a sandwich with melted cheese.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Ok, but by then you're no longer talking about a grilled cheese sandwich with a little something in it. Now you're talking about a regular sandwich. A delicious, delicious sandwich!

I classify any sandwich that is grilled and has cheese as a grilled cheese

delicious, you bet

might have to make a stop at the store tonight ....

Erin The Red
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Man, I love cheese.

But when I think about it too much, it kind of weirds me out. Definitely on the list of weird things humans eat.

Desert LeviathanNightDragon
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I made Pioneer Woman's Macaroni and Cheese last night, with smoked paprika and chunks of about half a cauliflower.

It is so god damn good.

Usagi
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I made Pioneer Woman's Macaroni and Cheese last night, with smoked paprika and chunks of about half a cauliflower.

It is so god damn good.

cauliflower is the devil's fake-starch

ChicoBlue
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Cauliflower is one of my favourite vegetables.

with cheese surrounding it, it's one of my favourite foods period.

XaquinPsykomaV1mBrovid Hasselsmof
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, cauliflower is fine. Also goes very nicely with a butter sauce.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

It is so god damn good.

Her recipe for mac and cheese rips me apart.

Made it once and figured, huh..fluke. Made it a second time and nope, we are never doing that again.

tynic
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The little chunks of cauliflower that Chinese takeout places in Western Australia tend to put in their satay dishes are probably my favourite vegetable incarnation. They really sponge up all the flavour!

DrZiplock wrote: »

It is so god damn good.

Her recipe for mac and cheese rips me apart.

Made it once and figured, huh..fluke. Made it a second time and nope, we are never doing that again.

oh no!

I didn't make grilled cheese and now I'm sad.

There's always tomorrow

Is there, Xaquin?

Is there?

*sad music from Scrubs plays*

Hopefully there will be one tomorrow!

Well, we'll see.

You're gonna be so embarrassed if the planet explodes tonight.

Xaquin
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Well, we'll see.

not to mention pissed off that I had reheated Little Caesar's tonight instead of a decent grilled cheese sandwich

McFlynn
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well, we'll see.

Buuuut I wouldn't have to go into work in the morning...

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

McFlynnXaquinchromdom
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Also, grilled cheese is super gross if you use American cheese. I hate American cheese. It's the poorest excuse for a cheese there is.

Spoken like a man who has never shopped in a grocery store in Asia.

American cheese is pretty bland, though.

McFlynn
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be one tomorrow!

Hey @McFlynn‌

Indulging in tomorrow over here!

Admittedly though I don't know too much about time zones and such

McFlynn
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    American cheese is literally a bunch of cheeses mixed together. It is cheese sausage. Kraft singles are about as much American cheese as string cheese is mozzarella

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I've gone from grilled cheese to cheese and egg sandwiches, to adding sausage to the mix.

having full-on breakfast sandwiches every morning lately.

I should probably cut down on these. I've been putting on some weight. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

chromdom
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    You guys were talking about motherfucking grilled cheese sandwiches and Southern Baptists and you decided to focus on Southern Baptists?

Well fuck you, because I drank Belgian beer and ate Steak and kidney pie without any kidneys in it because I am a coward and want to talk about that instead.

Steak and mushroom pie is really good. Next time I will be brave enough to order the kidneys.

mmm steak & kidney pie

droolinghomer.jpg

I've never understood why americans freak out about offal so bad.

Brovid Hasselsmof
    edited December 2014
    V1m wrote: »
    You guys were talking about motherfucking grilled cheese sandwiches and Southern Baptists and you decided to focus on Southern Baptists?

Well fuck you, because I drank Belgian beer and ate Steak and kidney pie without any kidneys in it because I am a coward and want to talk about that instead.

Steak and mushroom pie is really good. Next time I will be brave enough to order the kidneys.

mmm steak & kidney pie

droolinghomer.jpg

because offal sounds even more gross than scrapple?

edit:

seriously, when Upton Sinclair uses it as a negative descriptive word, it's for a reason

Xaquin on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Is there, Xaquin?

Is there?

*sad music from Scrubs plays*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXyuLN4TcRc

McFlynn
    edited December 2014
    I've never seen scrubs =(

In fact, the only TV I've watched in the past decade plus is Archer, a couple seasons of Big Bang Theory (I know, I know), and a season of Revenge (which I kind of enjoyed in the beginning)

oh and Gravity Falls <3

Xaquin on
    Erin The Redthe cheatGoatmon
    Scrubs kind of wanes in the later seasons for me, but I'd rate it as a show worth watching. They gots it on Netflix.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Erin The RedRhesus PositiveDarth WaiterchromdomtynicA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    It's got a lot of heart. People have mixed feelings on the end seasons, but the first few are damned solid. Give it a look!

Darth Waiterchromdom

mmm steak & kidney pie

droolinghomer.jpg

edit:

seriously, when Upton Sinclair uses it as a negative descriptive word, it's for a reason

Because he's an ignorant goose?

I finally watched the last season of Scrubs this year. It's actually really good. The only problem was the studio tried to market it as another season instead of a spin-off. It was a hilarious spin-off.

My wife and I still quote the pee joke "Let a little out, let it dry. Let a little out, let it dry."

Erin The Red
    I finally watched the last season of Scrubs this year. It's actually really good. The only problem was the studio tried to market it as another season instead of a spin-off. It was a hilarious spin-off.

My wife and I still quote the pee joke "Let a little out, let it dry. Let a little out, let it dry."

It was decent as a show, but it shouldn't have been called Scrubs I think. My wife and I liked it, but it was... different I guess?

It was decent as a show, but it shouldn't have been called Scrubs I think. My wife and I liked it, but it was... different I guess?

No, you don't want no Scrubs?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Erin The RedDonovan Puppyfucker
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular

mmm steak & kidney pie

droolinghomer.jpg

edit:

Because he's an ignorant goose?

or maybe the thing where the entire book is about the meat packing industry

... just a thought

thenews.jpg
    Xaquin
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Offal is delicious and is involved in the most decadent food.

V1mHermanoBrovid HasselsmofSlacker71sarukunPeter Ebel
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    The offal Upton Sinclair was talking about was mishandled from the day the animal died until it was re-labled something that was a lie, and placed in unsafe packaging. That is a far cry from any food made with good practices. Do kidneys taste like a ribeye? Of course not, but then you could argue that the ribeye does not taste like kidneys! It really comes down to sourcing, offal does generally need to be fresher than other meats do, and this creates a problem for your big industrial meat packers.

If you want a good "starter" piece of offal, try heart, it cooks up like some of the best steak you have ever had.

HermanotynicTamPeter Ebel
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Heart is awwweeeesome. Slice some venison heart real thin, pan fry that shit juuust a little. Mmph.

QuantumTurksarukun
    That reminds me, I haven't had liver in ages

gonna make my favourite liver dish this week

lambs liver sliced very thin, flash sauted in a little olive oil, mixed into with a red wine/red onion reduction, served over saffron pilaf rice flavoured with apricots, pine nuts, sunflower seeds & fresh parsley

HermanoQuantumTurkBrovid Hasselsmof
    edited December 2014
    Also I'm on holiday next week so I'm going to have devilled kidneys & mushrooms on sourbread toast for breakfast one day.

Devilled kidneys

A dish for any time of day. It's steadying washed down with a cup of tea, but a glass or two of red burgundy would be splendid. Serves two.

6 lamb's kidneys, membrane and suet removed, slit in half lengthways

3 tbsp plain flour

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp dry English mustard

Sea salt and pepper

A big knob of butter

Worcestershire sauce

A healthy splash of chicken stock

2 pieces toast (white or brown, but white seems to sup the juices better)

Using a knife or scissors, nip out the white, fatty gristle from the kidneys. In a bowl, mix together the flour, cayenne pepper, mustard, salt and pepper.

Get a frying pan very hot, throw in a knob of butter and, as this melts, roll the kidneys in the spiced flour, then shake them in a sieve to remove any excess. Place the kidneys in the sizzling pan, cook for two minutes per side, add a hearty splash of Worcestershire sauce and the stock, and let all the ingredients get to know each other. Remove the kidneys to the waiting toast, let the sauce reduce and emulsify (take care that it doesn't disappear) and pour over the kidneys and toast. Eat at once.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, I'm absolutely capable of a glass of burgundy with breakfast when I'm on holiday.

V1m on
    QuantumTurk
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I loveee dry red wine, but rarely like how it has..."developed" (aka, overoxidized) by the next day. Makes opening a decent red a real event because I either have to do it early enough to drink it all, have someone helping, or be willing to waste some. The latter is rarely the case.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I loveee dry red wine, but rarely like how it has..."developed" (aka, overoxidized) by the next day. Makes opening a decent red a real event because I either have to do it early enough to drink it all, have someone helping, or be willing to waste some. The latter is rarely the case.

Keep a lid on it!

This discussion has been closed.