Options

The Sims 4 : Come Play Dolls With Me! :D

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    My biggest frustration (Besides not being able to transfer the demo chars over) is sometimes I have to click "Clean Up" 5,000 times before the character will actually do it. (Or they'll just pick up and sit down the dirty dish 4999 times)

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I had absolutely no interest in this game before it launched, especially after getting burned by Sim City. Even watching the Giantbomb.com Quick Look did nothing to make me want it.

However, I've been watching some videos of the game in action and seeing what it can do, and I have to admit I'm feeling less hostile towards it, to the point where I kinda want to play it. Of course, I should really know better than to purchase it right now, since I know there's going to be loads of expansions and such to come that will inevitably make this a better game.

I hate being in this situation. :P

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I had absolutely no interest in this game before it launched, especially after getting burned by Sim City. Even watching the Giantbomb.com Quick Look did nothing to make me want it.

However, I've been watching some videos of the game in action and seeing what it can do, and I have to admit I'm feeling less hostile towards it, to the point where I kinda want to play it. Of course, I should really know better than to purchase it right now, since I know there's going to be loads of expansions and such to come that will inevitably make this a better game.

I hate being in this situation. :P

You and me both. The series has long been one that I dump time into between other games I dive into and right now I'm between those so it's harder than usual to wait for a sale.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Is there any way to get an itemized breakdown of what you're being charged for re: monthly bills?

Sometimes I get $500 worth of bills, sometimes I get like $10,000 worth of bills, and i have no idea what causes the costs to go up or down.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Is there any way to get an itemized breakdown of what you're being charged for re: monthly bills?

Sometimes I get $500 worth of bills, sometimes I get like $10,000 worth of bills, and i have no idea what causes the costs to go up or down.

I'd forgotten about bills in Sims 4, until the lights went out in the middle of the night, and a reminder popped up to pay up...

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

You've got a super rich painter, haven't you? If you've been putting up loads of art with emotional auras it's probably massively increased the value of your lot (and the art appreciates in value whereas all other household items depreciate in value) and thus your bills gets higher. I don't know the numbers in the background, but I'm pretty sure bills in the sims have always been calculated on the value of the lot.

Edit: If you've got a sim with reward points to spare, there is a perk/trait you can get that reduces bills. Incidentally, the no-sleep perk is absolutely OP. My tech guru sim never had to sleep again. While his family was sleeping he was just cranking out videogames for profit.

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Yeah, not having to sleep frees up enough time that you can have the one sim basically do everything. I just quit my gamer career (since I was done anyway) to take up painting, writing, and streaming full time.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »

You've got a super rich painter, haven't you? If you've been putting up loads of art with emotional auras it's probably massively increased the value of your lot (and the art appreciates in value whereas all other household items depreciate in value) and thus your bills gets higher. I don't know the numbers in the background, but I'm pretty sure bills in the sims have always been calculated on the value of the lot.

Edit: If you've got a sim with reward points to spare, there is a perk/trait you can get that reduces bills. Incidentally, the no-sleep perk is absolutely OP. My tech guru sim never had to sleep again. While his family was sleeping he was just cranking out videogames for profit.

I have a caveat with the infinite energy perk:

I only put it on one Sim, because managing a large household with everyone active all of the time can be hair-pulling.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I agree that would drive me insane.

But it works pretty awesomely if you designate someone as a caretaker sim, who cleans the place up and makes meals for the rest of the household to streamline the day.

6YAcQE8.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I just can't believe they got rid of Create A Style. That was my favorite part of 3.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I liked it but I understand the change.

Sims 3 really didn't run that well.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I liked it but I understand the change.

Sims 3 really didn't run that well.

Just seems like you'd use a new engine as a chance to optimize it.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If it concerns anyone, you can turn off aging for sims outside of your current lot in the options

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I am quite enjoying this game so far! Sequential objectives for your life goals are awesome, desires seem to require far less micromanagement and needs are a bit more reasonable.

So far I have spent more time building personal relationships for my Sims than on their careers, but the new job system seems pretty decent. I'm having a difficult time keeping multiple friendships going while also juggling romance, work and hobbies, but that seems pretty reasonable!

• Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    I've been hearing so many mixed reviews... and a lot of really bad ones. I was almost ready to drop some money on this today but $60 seems like an awful lot for not a lot of features. I will likely wait until it is bundled with a few expansions. :/

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really I think most of the complaints are coming from a place of "Well, I've got Sims 3 and all these expansions so why would I go out and buy a base game with far less content?"

And I mean that's understandable and waiting for expansions/deals is more than reasonable. But I will say I'm loving a lot of the quality of life changes I'm seeing in this game.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    IMO It's a fun base game that's probably not worth $60. Like overpaying for a meal that's still good

Also it runs really well and sims 3 always ran like a train wreck on this PC so I appreciate being able to actually play a sims game for an extended period without closing it out of technical frustration

just pay no mind to the hyperbolic 'the franchise is dead!!!!' posts abound. For anything, actually. Not just the sims

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    I've been hearing so many mixed reviews... and a lot of really bad ones. I was almost ready to drop some money on this today but $60 seems like an awful lot for not a lot of features. I will likely wait until it is bundled with a few expansions. :/

I took a chance on cdkeys dot com because they quoted me £25 instead of the whopping £50 for the cheaper version on EA's site. No way I was gonna pay above average for a AAA new title on a game I wasn't sure about (Spore and SimCity left me with low expectations) but for the price I paid I'm definitely enjoying it.

6YAcQE8.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah I used a voucher on GMG and paid about $40 for it. Considering how much time i've already spent in it it was money well spent.

• Options
    Cogliostro wrote: »

That's probably a good idea. I'd recommend that anyone coming off of Sims 3 just wait for a deal and/or at least an expansion pack first; 4's vanilla content is good for a vanilla baseline, but there has been a lot of frustration from the interior decorating community because they don't have as much stuff as they'd like yet / as many palette swaps as they'd like yet.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Usually I don't buy in to conspiracy theories, or whatever, but I can't help but think that Create-a-Style/Create-a-Sim got gutted to add more bullet points to expansions/random DLC. The absurd cost of Sims 3 dlc alone makes me not want to touch Sims 4 if I can't customize the clothing/furniture a bit.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Usually I don't buy in to conspiracy theories, or whatever, but I can't help but think that Create-a-Style/Create-a-Sim got gutted to add more bullet points to expansions/random DLC. The absurd cost of Sims 3 dlc alone makes me not want to touch Sims 4 if I can't customize the clothing/furniture a bit.

Uh, no.

Create A Style was cut as a performance compromise. It just ate cycles; it's turns out that it's incredibly CPU expensive to constantly grab & render user-created textures onto complex geometry in real time.

It sucks that it's gone, but I prefer the performance increase. YMMV.

I expect that in a few months users will have added a hojillion palette swaps anyway.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

Uh, no.

Create A Style was cut as a performance compromise. It just ate cycles; it's turns out that it's incredibly CPU expensive to constantly grab & render user-created textures onto complex geometry in real time.

It sucks that it's gone, but I prefer the performance increase. YMMV.

I expect that in a few months users will have added a hojillion palette swaps anyway.

This is coming from the company that swore Sim City had to be online-only, right? I'm sorry, but they built a brand new engine for Sims 4--but yet there isn't even a color-wheel. Hell, games on the PS3 allow you to build complete objects and race them around. So, sure, you could maybe say textures were impossible on a brand new engine to make work. But colors? Really?

• Options
    No, really. With all the outfits and styles and what not installed onto my game from the expansions, Sims 3 was sluggish as hell and I dreaded altering a sim's appearance since it took so goddamned long to load everything.

And my computer's no slouch. And a lot of people who play The Sims more than anything else have fairly lower spec machines; it's what made them go with a 32bit compatible game for 4 because it's their breadmaker and they want to get as many users as possible on it.

6YAcQE8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    No, really. With all the outfits and styles and what not installed onto my game from the expansions, Sims 3 was sluggish as hell and I dreaded altering a sim's appearance since it took so goddamned long to load everything.

And my computer's no slouch. And a lot of people who play The Sims more than anything else have fairly lower spec machines; it's what made them go with a 32bit compatible game for 4 because it's their breadmaker and they want to get as many users as possible on it.

So, why is it that they can manage to reshape clothing to a Sims body on the fly? I mean, the body structures are way more diverse now, which means all of those things have to change on the fly. So they can alter the 3d models of every single piece of clothing, but they can't change the color?

Cause, really. Gamemaker can be programmed very quickly to allow for a colorwheel.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    This is coming from the company that swore Sim City had to be online-only, right? I'm sorry, but they built a brand new engine for Sims 4--but yet there isn't even a color-wheel. Hell, games on the PS3 allow you to build complete objects and race them around. So, sure, you could maybe say textures were impossible on a brand new engine to make work. But colors? Really?

No; Sims Studio is separate from the studio that produced Sim City.

It also wasn't Sims Studio that informed people about the performance problems caused by Create a Style - it was the Sims user community. I do not understand the technical details, but yes, it is apparently much more CPU expensive to render user-generated textures on the fly and apply those to models than to animate morphing geometry or rescale it.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    @UncleSporky‌

@GnomeTank‌

Sending up the bat signal to people who I think understand the technical details underpinning rendering textures / why it might eat all your cycles?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    Ender's basically already said what I was going to use way too many words to. Clothing models and texture loading are entirely different technical things. I really can't answer technical issues regarding texture rendering but there's definitely a difference from what little I know of Sims 4 modding at the moment, I think Sims 4 has them more like in Sims 2 (although different file formats), where there's an image for each colour made available in the game. Sims 3 had greyscale texture images, with an extra image that told the game what parts to apply a pattern/colour to.

I would be surprised, based on how Sims 4 currently seems to do textures (mind you, again, I know very little of the technical ins and outs, I just read modding forums and wait for the tools to get more functional), to see Create a Style in an expansion. It would seem to me to require a rewrite in how the game does textures to make that work and I don't think they'd do that.

Anyway, I've been quite enjoying the base game while keeping in mind in the back of my head that it is a base game and is thus feature light (same issue with Sims 3's base game, really.. there were some similar complaints when that came out, actually). I thought I'd be more upset over a lack of toddlers but it hasn't actually bothered me that much yet. I don't really miss the other features that were in Sims 2 or Sims 3 basegame all that much. I do miss some expansion content, of course. I'd like more clothes and definitely more furniture, but that'll come in due time. I love the multitasking and the emotions are certainly entertaining, I put some sims with clashing personalities together in a house and purposely didn't control them, it didn't take long for everyone to get miserable and angry and start yelling at eachother. My single painter sim though seems to be very easy to put in inspired moods, she's rarely even tense. Also, I know painting was mentioned earlier, but making money is a hell of a lot easier with painting than it was for my chef sim.

• Options

No; Sims Studio is separate from the studio that produced Sim City.

It also wasn't Sims Studio that informed people about the performance problems caused by Create a Style - it was the Sims user community. I do not understand the technical details, but yes, it is apparently much more CPU expensive to render user-generated textures on the fly and apply those to models than to animate morphing geometry or rescale it.

I meant EA.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    @UncleSporky‌

@GnomeTank‌

Sending up the bat signal to people who I think understand the technical details underpinning rendering textures / why it might eat all your cycles?

I'm not that smart.

I would guess that if the textures aren't physically located in the same easily accessible place where the game expects them to be, compressed the way the game expects them to be compressed etc., that it might take longer if it's got to navigate to some user folder and use whatever jpg the person threw in there. I don't know what the limitations were in Sims 3 though, maybe it already had some strict usage requirements that would've lessened these problems.

I don't think there's anything specifically wrong with user textures vs. ones made by the developer though. Consider heavily modded games like Fallout or Skyrim. Users replace tons of textures, and add whole new objects with their own user textures where there wasn't anything before. Unless the mod is made terribly, often there is no noticeable performance hit when playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    edit: ronk thread

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

What's the actual issue in question? I haven't been following the thread.

Textures are generally considered expensive from a memory perspective, not from a processing perspective...so I'm curious what the actual issue is.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    I don't play the Sims, but I've spent days of my life troubleshooting crashes and freezes in Sims 3 for my wife. How's Sims 4 compare so far in terms of bugs and crashes/hour?

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I haven't had any crashes.
    A good bit of weird behavior bugs, but that's about it.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I haven't had a single crash or any bugs of consequence. The only bug I've encountered that was annoying (time speed hotkeys not working) is easily fixed by just pressing enter.

Edit: No wait. That isn't true. I also ran into a bug where I needed level 2 logic to get promoted early in the secret agent career, but it wasn't recognizing logic increases. I ended up quitting and becoming an astronaut instead. I haven't had that issue since.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    I've had two crashes, both of them occurred in a game that had been running for hours (ignored in the background, I like to keep my game running as I do other things) and both times it happened while I went into build mode (one time I was modifying a roof, one time with the fountain tool) after pulling the game back up from being minimized for so long. Thankfully the game loads back up super fast and I generally save before I hit build mode anyway (I've had some really bad crash experiences with Sims 3 and build mode at one point that put the habit there). Mind you that these crashes occured after hours and hours of the game being on and they're the only ones I've seen, the game's been really stable and smooth for me during normal gameplay. There's a few bugs with behaviours, as pointed out, but also nothing too serious that I've seen yet. One of my sims did get oddly out of sync at one point and started doing things like peeing in 1 second but never actually fixing her bladder motive and getting out of bed a second after lying back down, but a "resetsim" command in the cheat console fixed that right up.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I had one crash but that was after I had been alt-tabbing quite a bit. Now I just save before I do so just in case.

There's another a bug where if you're writing a song on a guitar (haven't tried any other instruments) sometimes you can cancel the action but it doesn't actually cancel, your sim just stays there doing it. I'm not sure how long they would stay there because I discovered that queuing up another guitar action pushes the cancelled write song action out of the way and then you can cancel normally.

Some aspiration tasks also aren't retroactive. For example, if you have a house with several dozen paintings in it then select the "build a kickass house" aspiration, none of those paintings will count towards the goal. You'll need to buy new ones, which is a pain. Similarly with the "meet new people" goal for some of the social aspirations. If you've met everyone in town (unlikely but possible), you won't be able to do it because you need to meet new people on top of all those you already know.

Oh also, a pretty fun one. If you get the unbreakable computer from the tech career and then fail to hack the supercomputer, the hack will backfire and break your computer which makes it unrepairable. You can sit there and try to repair it for days and it will never get fixed.

Aistan on
  • Options
    I had a bug where I invited a sim to play chess with me and she just kept playing. Nothing I did would get her to stop. After she'd been there for a solid 12 hours or so, I visited another lot and that seemed to fix it.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Does anyone feel like they have figured out the details of the social interaction system? My household has had problems keeping up with all their friends, and as a solution I decided to go for the friend of the world achievement. Unsurprisingly, this attempt to save time has doomed me to spend every free moment socializing with people, as the last mission includes having 25 friends.

The frustrating part is that when left to their own devices sims tend to just chat, which seems to build relationships abysmally slowly. Manually going through the 15+ interactions required to befriend someone is getting old quickly, but there seems to be no other option if you want to go for this ambition.

• Options
    My current sim, on the other hand, hasn't even met a single person despite closing in on a 2nd aspiration. Insanity and loner are two traits that go together extremely well. Just like real life?