As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They did the thing in finale of [The Legend of Korra]!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I am now starting season 3

Yeah, the asami/korra stuff already makes sense

I do wonder how much knowing that they're canon at the end changes someone's perspective on everything between them during the time before that.

But there's not really a way to test that so I guess we'll never really know.

I mean, it's not like some people didn't see it coming before the finale even happened
    If Korrasami doesn't end up as an actual thing after all of Season 3 happened, it will be all of my WHAT? It's not even shipping at this point. It's actual character development and chemistry shown plainly on screen for everyone to see.
    okay if they're not going full korrasami by the end this is just getting silly
    -Tal wrote: »
    the korrasami teasing is at the point where I'm going to be legitimately upset if there isn't any payoff

episode 7 was just mean

I know it's fun to be snarky but it's not like every single person who watched the show saw it coming, either.

Is it really that bad that I wonder how hindsight might change things? This isn't the only piece of media that I've exclusively had that thought about, either.

But by all means be a goose about it if you want to.

I feel like you've got kind of a low bar for goosery there, but I'm sorry if that came off like an attack

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The season three villains are both fun and terrifying, I love them.
    I know it's fun to be snarky but it's not like every single person who watched the show saw it coming, either.

Is it really that bad that I wonder how hindsight might change things? This isn't the only piece of media that I've exclusively had that thought about, either.

I get what you're saying, personally I think it's more a matter of personal perspective than anything; if you're in the habit of looking for the signs you'll pick up on it instantly, if not, you might not at all.
    But at the same time, knowing the outcome from the off will alter the viewers perspective regardless of what personal biases they might have. I think in this case, knowing the resolution beforehand might actually improve the viewing experience if the viewer is unlikely to pick up on the cues themselves for whatever reason.
    Then again, if you go in blind and miss stuff, that just sounds like a perfect excuse to watch through again!

Yeah, exactly. Knowing how things turn out is always going to skew the way you interpret various scenes and events in the leadup to that. I've seen pretty similar things happen with novel -> film/TV adaptations, too. I find it a really interesting topic: the idea that perhaps spoilers can actually enhance a viewer's experience of something by giving them a heads up as to what sort of details to look out for.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I am now starting season 3

Yeah, the asami/korra stuff already makes sense

I do wonder how much knowing that they're canon at the end changes someone's perspective on everything between them during the time before that.

But there's not really a way to test that so I guess we'll never really know.

I mean, it's not like some people didn't see it coming before the finale even happened
    If Korrasami doesn't end up as an actual thing after all of Season 3 happened, it will be all of my WHAT? It's not even shipping at this point. It's actual character development and chemistry shown plainly on screen for everyone to see.
    okay if they're not going full korrasami by the end this is just getting silly
    -Tal wrote: »
    the korrasami teasing is at the point where I'm going to be legitimately upset if there isn't any payoff

episode 7 was just mean

I feel like you've got kind of a low bar for goosery there, but I'm sorry if that came off like an attack

Well, look, if your response to me positing that idea is to quote a bunch of people and go 'look at all these people who saw it coming anyway' (as if that makes my idea irrelevant) then, well, I do kinda see that as being a bit snarky.

But no biggie. It's late night after NYE here so maybe I'm just a bit tired.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I think in this particular example it is a little different perhaps. I mean, obviously if you spoil some crazy twist or plot element for someone they're probably not going to have as much fun.

But in this case, it's not a twist, it is supposed to be clear-cut and out in the open pretty much from the off, the only thing concealing it is, I dunno, like, societal factors and preconceptions, so yeah, maybe in this instance going 'alright, keep an eye out for this... wink wink' might actually be sort of kinda helpful-ish.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I assumed the on-screen Korrasami stuff in the past two seasons was just the creators trolling the shippers in the audience like they love to do. It wasn't until the last episode that I realized they were going for it.

• Options
    Hmmm, well, that they actually get together in the way they do at the end is a bit of a spoiler in my mind. They could've left it off as just heavily implied, or maybe there wasn't an actually resolution to that. That might not have been good writing, of course, but to anyone watching it without knowing how it ends they might be unsure if things will actually turn out in that particular way. I could be going "oh man I really hope these two get together at the end" the entire way through s3/4 but not knowing whether or not that actually happens may shape my interpretation of things.

And yeah, the idea does still apply to actual big deal spoilers as well! There's been a lot of discussion about that around some parts of the internet (there's a good few really cool youtube vids about it I've seen, plus articles) lately and I've found it really interesting.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    That's also true, it's pretty easy to over-analyse stuff like this.
    I mean, it's not like the avatar folks have had any problems poking a bit of fun at the fans in the past, plus you can fall into that whole mess with queer-baiting, or even just your brain filling in connections which aren't there.

That said by the end of season 3 I was definitely like 'hmmmm...', and pretty much all of season 4 was just, 'alright, you better be going somewhere good with this.' As far as I was concerned.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I assumed the on-screen Korrasami stuff in the past two seasons was just the creators trolling the shippers in the audience like they love to do. It wasn't until the last episode that I realized they were going for it.

I think a lot of that ties into expectations for children's media, even if LoK was a show that tackled slightly more mature topics than even something like the Last Airbender. I didn't think it was really trolling, but I didn't expect it to go anywhere.

Either way, I think the show deserves a lot of credit for having a bunch of characters working together and being very good friends with their exes. I'm incredibly glad that the show never really went back to the Mako/Korra romance, partially because it brought out the worst in both characters, and partially because it's way more interesting and rare to see two characters that were once pretty much established as the Big Couple of the show forge a pretty strong platonic friendship by the end. Mako was kind of a wiener a lot of the time, but I think, by the end of the show, he'd matured and grown as much as anybody in the cast.

• Options
    Yeah, in my personal experience with the show I was pretty sure there was something there part way through s3, but I was so certain that they wouldn't be allowed to actually do it that I just assumed it was them trolling the shippers or maybe just trying to make things subtle enough to slip through. If you'd asked me back at the end of s3 if I thought we'd get the ending we did I would've said no way. So up until that final episode I saw it as either very close friends and/or a very clever job of making it subtle enough to be allowed by Nick.

Of course once it hit I just nodded and went 'yeah, okay, yeah that's totally how it would've turned out', because I was able to look back at everything is s3/4 and look at it with my new knowledge and see it for what they were clearly trying to do without the assumption based around them not being able to properly make it clear canon. It was a nice surprise that also made a lot of sense!

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Really the show deserves a lot of credit for all it's character work, I think that's the strongest element (ahah bending joke, kill me) at play. Whilst LoA could rest a little on it's ongoing story arc LoK is stuck with these smaller arcs which, y'know, don't always work out so well and, more critically, are more transient, so the main thing carrying on from season to season becomes the characters and their interactions with one another and, barring a few mis-steps perhaps, the show really does a sterling job of enforcing real, lasting development in a pretty large cast of major players.

Heck even the smaller roles like Kai and Wu (and Zhu Li I guess, she only really has one book as an actual character) get nice little arcs, it's quite impressive character writing (and animating).

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Huh, there's some good stuff in there, thanks for sharing.
    Also the rather splendid turn of phrase 'gaycation to the spirit world' features at one point, which I feel makes the reading time well worth it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The show ended with the beginning of a romantic relationship. There's more than enough build up for that. It's not like they're doing the Harley and Ivy thing and having them meet at the beginning of the episode and by the middle, they're walking around their home wearing no pants.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Just watched all of season 3 today, its super great

one of my favorite seasons of the show, probably third after Season 3 and 2 of the original show

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    the way that combustion woman
    was killed was fucking brutal

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Absolutely. I get the feeling their were a few frames of animation dropped from that scene for discretion's sake.

• Options
    Also I'm not sure if it was actually worse this season or just something I noticed

but holy shit every time someone gets hit by a boulder they should be super, super dead

• Options

Absolutely. I get the feeling their were a few frames of animation dropped from that scene for discretion's sake.

It does cut off rather abruptly, yeah.

• Options
    Also I'm not sure if it was actually worse this season or just something I noticed

but holy shit every time someone gets hit by a boulder they should be super, super dead

The Boulder takes issue with this insinuation that he kills people.

• Options
    edited December 2014

That happens quite a lot even in LoA, 'cos kids show I guess, but there a few moments in season 3 of Korra when I had an eyebrow raised at the hits people were taking. Like Ming Hua just straight tosses guards down over the railings in her volcano prison, or Gazon hitting some chump with his lava shuriken thing. Normally you'd get, like, a shot of them groaning or holding onto the railings, but nope, guess those guys are just straight up dead huh.

It sets up the atmosphere for the red lotus effectively though, so I'm not complaining. What's the point of being the villains if you don't get to occasionally lava someone?
    It does cut off rather abruptly, yeah.

I think it's most notable on Zaheer's reaction shot, that always felt a little short, and lacking in impact, to me.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

They also cut the sound effect. If the show had been on Cartoon Network, they probably would have included a loud explosion.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I don't think so; if you slow the scene down a bit, you get all the detail you "need".

sig.gif
  • Options
    So the lady who
    saves Korras dad

A villain of some kind in season 4?

literally no reason to have her introduce herself otherwise

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So the lady who
    saves Korras dad

Well, she showed up a lot earlier that season.

Makes sense to make sure you actually get a name when she did something important.
    Yes.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah that seemed really obvious and forced. I remember we were talking about it when it aired (like, 5 months ago?) and general consensus was that it was weird, even knowing where it's going

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dang, that first fight with all three triad members in Air Temple Island was my first serious challenge. Took a few tries.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    thank you, captain

please, call me... darth badguy

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    it's French

• Options
    So the lady who
    saves Korras dad

I especially appreciate the ominous musical sting at the same time, just in case you didn't already find the scene weird.
    I think she also appears on a newspaper earlier on, as well as a few times in Zao Fu. It probably would have been best to just leave it like that, or have Su introduce her earlier.

I mean, it's not like she doesn't get properly introduced in the next book where she's actually important anyway.

• Options
    Light S4 spoilers:
    I feel like Kuvira would've been an even more interesting villain if she was introduced properly (like, her backstory etc) in s3, and then featured a bit more in the fight against the Red Lotus. Then when it comes to S4 the viewers all know who she is and have a more potent response when this character who was clearly a good guy and had a relatable history has this fall and becomes the major antagonist. It would also help with the jarring feeling I got every time a character spoke of Kuvira like they knew her really well and she was so well known but I, the viewer, had little knowledge of her.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    finale spoilers for this and the truman show

• Options
    Started season 4

Actually really digging it so far, I know people weren't huge fans

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Light S4 spoilers:
    I feel like Kuvira would've been an even more interesting villain if she was introduced properly (like, her backstory etc) in s3, and then featured a bit more in the fight against the Red Lotus. Then when it comes to S4 the viewers all know who she is and have a more potent response when this character who was clearly a good guy and had a relatable history has this fall and becomes the major antagonist. It would also help with the jarring feeling I got every time a character spoke of Kuvira like they knew her really well and she was so well known but I, the viewer, had little knowledge of her.
    I think this is where both Nick and Bryke messed up in not having longer seasons. Everything had to be at a breakneck pace the entire time, while there definitely could have been more time taken each season for the characters themselves.

Hopefully any future comics will deal with the stuff we didn't see, especially in reference to Book 4.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Grown up Milo is fantastic

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Started season 4

Actually really digging it so far, I know people weren't huge fans

Season 4 is generally accepted as pretty good.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Season 4 is easily my favorite

It's not perfect but it's by far the least flawed

• Options
    I've liked every season so I know I'm not the average

2 was the weakest but I still liked it

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Light S4 spoilers:
    I think this is where both Nick and Bryke messed up in not having longer seasons. Everything had to be at a breakneck pace the entire time, while there definitely could have been more time taken each season for the characters themselves.

Hopefully any future comics will deal with the stuff we didn't see, especially in reference to Book 4.

I don't think the creators had total control over the length of the seasons after a point, from what I've heard

They had to do a clip show in 4 because the funding just wasn't there

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I liked Season 4's recap episode a lot more than I expected

• Options
    ahaahhahaa

oh my god

oh my god that's literally a
    metal gear