As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They did the thing in finale of [The Legend of Korra]!

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I was thinking post-cyberpunk. The mean streets of Neo-Ba-Sing-Se. Where life is cheap and death is cheaper. Where the water in your blood is worth more than the rest of you put together, and everything you've got can be ruined if one of the metalbending upper class decides your shantytown hab-block would look better as abstract art.

You'd have a challenge getting it past censors but I'd watch this.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Could the avatar even be evil? It's an interesting avenue to explore.

I don't think it'd be out of the question. The Red Lotus wanted to kidnap Korra as a baby and raise her to help them accomplish their goals. They can't be the only group that's had that thought in the last 9,900 years.

And this franchise has made it pretty obvious that even generally good people can wind up doing pretty terrible things if they're put under the right stresses. Zuko, for example. Generally a good person as a kid, no natural predisposition towards cruelty. (Ozai's story about Zuko becoming paralyzed with indecision over whether to save a turtle-crab because he didn't want it to die, or deprive the attacking eagle-hawk of food makes it seem like Zuko wasn't really trying to hurt the turtle duck he throws a rock at in the Zuko Alone flashbacks.) But Ozai gets him to buy into the belief that the Fire Nation should take over the world, and punishes him so harshly when Zuko acts compassionately (protesting the use of new recruits as bait,) that Zuko winds up doing a lot of awful things in ATLA.

Creagan on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I was thinking post-cyberpunk. The mean streets of Neo-Ba-Sing-Se. Where life is cheap and death is cheaper. Where the water in your blood is worth more than the rest of you put together, and everything you've got can be ruined if one of the metalbending upper class decides your shantytown hab-block would look better as abstract art.

You'd have a challenge getting it past censors but I'd watch this.

On screen suffocation.

As long as the awfulness was more implied than stated, I think they could get away with a lot.

Now, for the villainous Avatar route, there's two options that come to mind. One is to have them shift to villainy over time. They've seen a lifetime of work do some good, but it always decays. And there's so much more to be done! Can they trust their replacement? No, of course not. So, they take the God Emperor Of Mankind route, immortality with tech, usually in a state of living death to give guidance to "Their" people. Big late in the game moment would be the Avatar crawling out of their high tech coffin and reminding our upstart heroes why people feared the Avatar in direct combat.

The other is to lean more in the direction of Zuko. Younger. Awful influences. Sure THEIR Earth Kingdom will be the proper one, the one that's balanced with the world. Korra, of course, would disagree, but she's the one who cut all ties with the previous Avatars, and kind of a meathead besides. Kyoshi would have totally backed it.

Korra in the Iroh role, in other words, which might feel redundant if she wasn't so unsuited for the job.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I'd argue that previously it would have been near impossible to get the Avatar to stray from their standard goal because of the past Avatars influencing them. Now that they're gone and Korra is (presumably) the start of a new Avatar cycle, they wouldn't have that influence.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    There are a couple of ways to play it. One is that the Avatar feels like the progress of technology is throwing off the balance of the world and acts against it, placing them against society as a whole as someone fighting for what could be seen as outdated beliefs.

And either way, I'd imagine any story about a villainous avatar would be framed as a redemption story.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Raava would probably step in if the Avatar went too far.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Well, assuming Vaatu was actually destroyed and doesn't just get reincarnated, I would think he'd eventually manifest inside the avatar, and perhaps the avatar themself would end up having to be the deciding factor whether the world favors balance or chaos.

Or maybe they end up going crazy due to massive cognitive dissonance or something.

That's assuming humans still exist in ten thousand years.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular

On screen suffocation.

As long as the awfulness was more implied than stated, I think they could get away with a lot.

Right. For a moment I forgot about what show we were talking about.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I'd argue that previously it would have been near impossible to get the Avatar to stray from their standard goal because of the past Avatars influencing them. Now that they're gone and Korra is (presumably) the start of a new Avatar cycle, they wouldn't have that influence.

Or you could have an Avatar that was super out of touch with their spiritual side, like Korra. Even Aang's vision-warnings (which seems like a pretty extreme/desperate attempt by a past avatar to communicate with the current one) went pretty much unheeded because she couldn't figure out what the heck he was trying to tell her until the finale.

Basically all you need is Korra, but raised by terrible people.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    While an Avatar without the Avatar state is very powerful, they wouldn't be unbeatable. They wouldn't be able to face down entire armies or even a small group of very powerful benders. Heck, even individual benders who are extraordinary gifted can take down an Avatar who can't access the Avatar state. Amon beat Korra easily and Yakone was able to paralyze Aang and almost killed him.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Evil Avatar idea? Earth King/Queen and Ba Sing Se. Or heck, Dr. Doom and Latveria. Sinestro and Korugar. The list goes on.

A benevolent dictator is still a dictator.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Doom as a model for a dark avatar would be fantastic

You could even have his foes be four benders! Genius waterbender, stealthy airbender, hotheaded firebender showoff, and rock-bodied earthbender.

What I'm saying is I want to see Jonathan Hickman's Avatar.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sadly, considering they aren't even showing the last season and a half of this avatar series on their network, I wouldn't put much hope into a new series. Nick doesn't do a lot of web only series I am assuming?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'd give it a few years before Mike and Bryan even think they might want to do another series. They're probably burnt out from this one's production (and dealing with Nickelodeon) and just want to sleep.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how well Korra does in Japan?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I didn't see hide or hair of it during my two years there.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I didn't see hide or hair of it during my two years there.

Yeah, overthe last month, I've asked a good number of my Japanese coworkers if Japan knows anything about LA/Korra. Not a thing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

You're assuming it's been released in Japan at all.

Maybe there's some small, dedicated group of people over there who subtitle every episode into Japanese but how would you ever find out about them? It's not like there's any Korra merch that's being sold that they could post about online, like how all the weeaboos do about their anime statues and whatnot that they imported.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

You're assuming it's been released in Japan at all.

Maybe there's some small, dedicated group of people over there who subtitle every episode into Japanese but how would you ever find out about them? It's not like there's any Korra merch that's being sold that they could post about online, like how all the weeaboos do about their anime statues and whatnot that they imported.

The best way to find out about them would probably be by using google.

Plenty of things get brought over to Japan (and they apparently put major season 1 plot spoilers in the trailer for season 1 so be careful if you have not seen season 1 of Game of Thrones yet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2oRokNU3s

For example. Frozen was a SMASH hit while I was there (though it goes by Anna and the Snow Queen there). Also some of my students were huuuuuge fans of Phineas of Ferb, which is why one of the first words I was asked to teach them was platypus. :P

Korra in my experience just didn't get brought over for whatever reason (Probably Nick being Nick).

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Dang, how do you render "platypus" in Japanese?

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I dunno why people think Japan would be all up over this. It was animated in Korea.

Anywho just finished Season 3 and MAN OH MAN THAT SHIT WAS SO GOOD

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Veretas wrote: »
    I dunno why people think Japan would be all up over this. It was animated in Korea.

I doubt it being animated in Korea has anything to do with it, K-pop is super popular in Japan. It's a cartoon, not politics.

Platypus is カモノハシ or kamonohashi.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Lots of anime is animated is Korea, no?

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

To my knowledge, no, generally they are done by Japanese animation studios. I mean, plenty of cartoons are animated in other countries, including Korea, but anime sort of by definition is animated in Japan.

• Options
    Veretas wrote: »

I doubt it being animated in Korea has anything to do with it, K-pop is super popular in Japan. It's a cartoon, not politics.

Platypus is カモノハシ or kamonohashi.

so I Googled that

l_p1012056471.jpg

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

To my knowledge, no, generally they are done by Japanese animation studios. I mean, plenty of cartoons are animated in other countries, including Korea, but anime sort of by definition is animated in Japan.

Oh, I was under the impression that most of the actual animation is outsourced to Korean studios while Japanese studios do the other stuff (design, etc). I think this came up with the Studio Ghibli news earlier this year since it was pointed out that Ghibli notably did all their animation in-house.

• Options

Oh, I was under the impression that most of the actual animation is outsourced to Korean studios while Japanese studios do the other stuff (design, etc). I think this came up with the Studio Ghibli news earlier this year since it was pointed out that Ghibli notably did all their animation in-house.

Hm, I really do not know. It probably varies from studio to studio, I am sure there are plenty that are Japan only. I am not sure if they would actually save all that much money outsourcing the labor to Korea, but I may be off base here. Looking up various studios online it is easy to find information about their headquarters and top ranking people (pretty much all Japanese people in Tokyo) but not much in the way of info about people further down the ladder.'

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I got the impression from one of the developer interviews that the people from Platinum working on the game were big fans of the show

some people in Japan are watching it somehow but it's probably a very tiny number

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    The idea that there's a small dedicated community of fansubbers trading torrents of TLA and Korra tickles me.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    RE:Trailer
    Those mechs, they are CG but still have the weight of old Gundams. The only thing stopping them from being a true homage is if the main leader of the villains' mech forces wears a mask of some kind.

But those dudes in the video, my brother was just watching Akira and I get a vibe from some of the clown guys in there.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    HUnWtlL.jpg

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    pretty sure avatar is done

when tla ended it was kind of known by people with an ear to the ground that mike and bryan were interested in continuing but they do not seem to be now

nickelodeon could continue without their involvement but they have never shown to care very much about avatar

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Of course Nick cares about the Last Moneymaker.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    korra makes less money than spongebob reruns

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Well...I think most shows on Nick make less than Spongebob reruns.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

And whose fault is that?

• Options
    Korra's.

• Options
    and those other shows cost less to produce than korra

like this is partially nick's own fault because they have done a consistently terrible job at marketing avatar but I don't know why a business looking to make money would greenlight more of it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    like the best case scenario I see here is that nick sells the rights to mike and bryan and they pass it down to another creative team that they trust, but american networks in general have been moving away from the kind of production-heavy story-driven action cartoons that avatar is so I don't know who would fund it

in my dreams, netflix

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png