Options

It wasn't that you died, it was the WAY that you died

• Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SH1:
    Agreed, but what's even worse is the notion that, even now, she could be wandering the town as a mindless creature. The only thing Harry messed up more than not giving her support was not giving her a merciful death.

That's very true, although...

(Bad+ / Good+ ending spoiler... I think... it's been so long...)
    she does manage to take a big bite out of Kaufmann at the end, so it's not a complete waste.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    RE4.
    Carlos.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    august wrote: »
    I was amazed that in Skies of Arcadia
    Vyse's dad didn't die.
    Stuff like that is why I like that game so much.

pfft, you and your lack of desired cliches. how dare you.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There are lots of character deaths that stick with me; I'll list some of the more noteworthy:

Oblivion:
    So I'm at the part where Martin leads the soldiers in battle against the Oblivion gates outside Bruma, when you have to enter the great gate and destroy the siege engine. I run in, do my thing, make it to the sigil stone with maybe a minute to spare and collapse the gate on the engine as it's passing through.

I come to and I'm back on friendly ground. The soldiers are mopping up what's left of the daedra, and only took a few casualties. The engine's broken, evil has been punished, cheers all around, etc. I wander back to the Emperor and his entourage...
    and there's Jauffre, face-down in the snow.
    That took a lot of wind out of my sails :(

Deus Ex:
    "All right Page, it's you and me. Thanks for the lift, Jock... wait, what the... oh shit! JOOOOOOCK!"

No matter how many times I catch the saboteur, that first time still sticks with me.

Radiata Stories:
    Bottom line, there was no happy ending to that game, though the non-human ending was a bit more hopeful. Either Ganz dies, or Ridley dies, and neither of them deserve to.

Fatal Frame 3 and Silent Hill 3:
    Seriously, unceremoniously killing off the heroes of the first games, after all they've been through? That is eleven distinct flavors of bullshit. Harry, at least, should've mopped the floor with that fucker on the roof :x

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stolls wrote: »
    Deus Ex:
    "All right Page, it's you and me. Thanks for the lift, Jock... wait, what the... oh shit! JOOOOOOCK!"

No matter how many times I catch the saboteur, that first time still sticks with me.

On no kill runs, I knock him out and throw him into the fish tank.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    There are lots of character deaths that stick with me; I'll list some of the more noteworthy:

Oblivion:
    So I'm at the part where Martin leads the soldiers in battle against the Oblivion gates outside Bruma, when you have to enter the great gate and destroy the siege engine. I run in, do my thing, make it to the sigil stone with maybe a minute to spare and collapse the gate on the engine as it's passing through.

I come to and I'm back on friendly ground. The soldiers are mopping up what's left of the daedra, and only took a few casualties. The engine's broken, evil has been punished, cheers all around, etc. I wander back to the Emperor and his entourage...

Refresh my memory.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey: Ikaruga, ya heard? Not that I ever got that far.

august on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey: Ikaruga, ay heard? Not that I ever got that far.

Me either, what happens?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »

Me either, what happens?
    Your ship sacrifices itself to kill the last boss.

youtube it

august on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Me either, what happens?
    Your ship sacrifices itself to kill the last boss.

youtube it
    I should've guessed, I mean there's not much room for story development in a fast-paced shmup

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Shadow Hearts 1.
    After Yuri's hard work battling and overcoming his personal demons with Alice's help, she dies on the train as the Four Masks take her soul.

Such a fucking sad ending to the best game ever.

That's the bad ending though:
    The good ending has everyone living happily ever after, although I guess it isn't cannon since Shadow Hearts: Convenant continues from the bad ending.

And speaking of Shadow Hearts: Convenant, neither ending sees things end all that happily.

The good ending.
    Yuri impales himself on a rock before his soul is taken from him. He dies, but you see him re-uniting with Alice again.

The bad ending.
    Yuri no longer has a soul and is a shadow of his former self.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SimBen wrote: »

FF6:
    Hmm, now that we've saved the world... there's no reason for me to be around anymore. Go away, doggy. *FALL*

And then he's not on the airship at the end, confirming that he's dead. Such a tragic character.

You know you can save him, right?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cave Story (for those who don't know what this is, it is a freeware RPG/shooter game that is very similar to Metroid or Kid Icarus):
    This game's story is just simply amazing. I'm only 3/4 through the game and I'm already disheartened by deaths that could've been prevented but I was unable to do so. such as:

WARNING, play the game before you read, major spoilers
    -Toroko: After being mistaken for Sue and kidnapped, she is fed a red flower and turns beserk. It's this part of the game that you learn a painful revelation, the effects of the red flowers are irreversible and only death can free the user from their tormented existence.
    -King: Even though he was a jerk, the poor guy just wanted to protect his sister. Doing so got him blasted away like he was nothing.
    -Curly: She comes back later, but nothing is more depressing than realizing that she sacrificed herself so that you can live on and defeat the evil doctor.
    -Prof. Booster: He had a small role and wasn't of great importance to the story but his death still stung. He was just thrown out with the trash, barely registering at all on the villains scopes. Why did they have to kill him? Because the villains are just evil enough to do so.

I'm sure there are others but I haven't finished playing it.

If you haven't played this awesome game, go to here and do so.
    You have no idea how much I cried when Curly died. :cry:

And then when I discovered I could have saved her I kicked myself. :(

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

FF6:
    Hmm, now that we've saved the world... there's no reason for me to be around anymore. Go away, doggy. *FALL*

And then he's not on the airship at the end, confirming that he's dead. Such a tragic character.

I think he's talking about the ending, which is far too ambiguous to make heads or tails out of it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Oblivion:

Refresh my memory.

It's late in the main questline, when
    Martin requires the gem of a great gate to open a portal to Camoran's paradise. You, he and a handful of Blades, along with soldiers from every city whose nearest gates you've closed, have to hold off waves of daedra until they open a great gate near Bruma to fit Dagon's siege engine through. Named characters can die during the battle, and while I managed to keep pretty much everyone alive, Jauffre didn't make it. I tried running through it again, but the results were the same. I don't know if he's scripted to die or just unlucky, but either way it was disquieting.

Stolls on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Oblivion:

Refresh my memory.

It's late in the main questline, when
    Martin requires the gem of a great gate to open a portal to Camoran's paradise. You, he and a handful of Blades, along with soldiers from every city whose nearest gates you've closed, have to hold off waves of daedra until they open a great gate near Bruma to fit Dagon's siege engine through. Named characters can die during the battle, and while I managed to keep pretty much everyone alive, Jauffre didn't make it. I tried running through it again, but the results were the same. I don't know if he's scripted to die or just unlucky, but either way it was disquieting.
    I always thought it was strange that no one commented on his death or maybe I just didn't notice, but I am fairly certain no one does.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Speaking of Legacy of Kain: Defiance...
    I enjoyed Mobius' plans unraveling at the end. Mobius does not fear death - kill him all you want and he'll come back to life a few minutes later thanks to a deal he made with the ancient squid ghost thing. Kain runs him through and Mobius dies. In the spirit world, Mobius' soul gets up, he dusts himself off and mutters about the inconvenience. Then Raziel, also in the spirit world, taps him on the should and devours Mobius for good. I did not see that coming.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited April 2007
    Halo
    Keyes being taken over by the Flood. This is only an entertaining cutscene in the game, but once you read Fall of Reach (a prequel) and realize how awesome Keyes was .. well, this image is a bit depressing.

But while that death is just sort of a bummer, this next one is legitimately sad, and the only one I can think of that comes close to the example in the first post. Tales of Symphonia.
    In one path of the game, your ally Zelos betrays you with the intent of being murdered by you, simply because he couldn't bear the burden of being The Chosen anymore.

Kevar on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kevar wrote: »
    Halo
    Keyes being taken over by the Flood. This is only an entertaining cutscene in the game, but once you read Fall of Reach (a prequel) and realize how awesome Keyes was .. well, this image is a bit depressing.

But while that death is just sort of a bummer, this next one is legitimately sad, and the only one I can think of that comes close to the example in the first post. Tales of Symphonia.
    In one path of the game, your ally Zelos betrays you with the intent of being murdered by you, simply because he couldn't bear the burden of being The Chosen anymore.

All I remember from the Halo ending is the Sarge hugging an alien and then the alien squeezes Sarge's butt. It BURNS! THE IMAGE BURNS!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Diablo 2:
    The brave little narrator goes through so much horrific shit, and just before dying finds out he screwed up big time. I don't know how much of a big impact this leaves, but wouldn't you hate knowing that you possible just screwed the world over, delivering it to Hell?

Disgaea:
    I think it goes without saying that Flonne being turned into a flower at the end, in essence dying, is a lot more heart breaking than Aeris. I thought her receiving the punishment for her sins was still bullshit, after all she helped acheive. Though, the guy who handed out said punishment (whose name and rank I keep forgetting) also accepts his punishment delivered by Laharl. At least the good ending gave it all a reason.

Annnnd Warcraft 3:
    When Thrall and Grom confront Mannoroth in the canyon. Grom being the one to slay Mannoroth felt so right, even if he died in the process. It's the greatest example of repenting for the wrong doings of one's past. I know people tend to slam Blizzard's ability to write stories, but I think they do a damn fine job in their presentation.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the most tragic gaming death has to be in MGS3:
    The Boss. She's the core of every single tragic occurance later down the timeline of the series. She laid the foundation, and it was because she was loyal to her most successful, and faithful, student. The fact that she's absolutely hated by the world over is not only tragic, but her grave didn't even have her name on it. She will forever go down as the backbone of that story and history, yet nobody will know her name, or what she did for her country.

The sacrifice, and willingness to do so, is absolutly heartwrenching in every way. :cry:

Kami on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ico:
    Okay, so I just beat it earlier today and I guess I'm late to the party, but the entire ending sequence (which I define as the bridge-crossing scene onwards) really stuck with me. First Yorda trying and failing to catch Ico jumping, the same way Ico caught her throughout the game, then the spirits whirling around her body are revealed to be the other sacrificed children, then killing the Queen only to have the real heart-wrencher of Spirit Yorda saving Ico and staying behind in the castle. It was sadder than any other ending I can think of, SotC included.
    And then they go and make it all better by having Yorda mysteriously wash up on the beach, alive. What was with that?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Well right now, I worry that any future deaths in the Ice and Fire series will inevitably reach a point where I'll just roll my eyes and go "oh look, he killed another character for no reason. ho hum." The first book's major death does advance the plot, but I would hate to see a cool or beloved character die just for the sake of exploitation.

There was a big (23+) page thread in Debate and Discourse, but it's buried on the 9th or 10th page by now.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If it's spoiler-free, put it up on the thread I made.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

FF6:

I think he's talking about the ending, which is far too ambiguous to make heads or tails out of it.

What's amiguous about it?
    He tells his dog to go along and be happy, apologizes to his dead friend, and throws himself off the tower. Then he's not on the airship.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Diablo 2:
    The brave little narrator goes through so much horrific shit, and just before dying finds out he screwed up big time. I don't know how much of a big impact this leaves, but wouldn't you hate knowing that you possible just screwed the world over, delivering it to Hell?
    I find it impossible to give a shit about the Diablo story line at all.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Diablo 2:
    I find it impossible to give a shit about the Diablo story line at all.
    It was just a detail to look at really.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    The Boss. She's the core of every single tragic occurance later down the timeline of the series. She laid the foundation, and it was because she was loyal to her most successful, and faithful, student. The fact that she's absolutely hated by the world over is not only tragic, but her grave didn't even have her name on it. She will forever go down as the backbone of that story and history, yet nobody will know her name, or what she did for her country.

The sacrifice, and willingness to do so, is absolutly heartwrenching in every way. :cry:
    It is revealed in Portable Ops that her death and all of MGS3 was a set up by a person yet unknown.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Glenn565 wrote: »

It is revealed in Portable Ops that her death and all of MGS3 was a set up by a person yet unknown.

...HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK

I'M GOING TO GO MARATHON AND FINISH IT RIGHT NOW

Kami on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I find it hard to believe that Kami missed a detail from a Metal Gear game. He's pretty much my personal guru for it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I find it hard to believe that Kami missed a detail from a Metal Gear game. He's pretty much my personal guru for it.

Well, with work, and other priorities, I've yet to put more than three hours or so into it. It was like that for MGS3, as well. I owned that bad boy for months, until Renzo and ShimSham nearly beat me up for not beating it. :lol:

Kami on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Kevar wrote: »
    Halo

Yeah, that part of Halo stood out for me, especially
    when Keyes radios you and tells you to keep away, and it's clear that something nasty's happening to him. Then you gotta remove the chip from his brain... yeech, what a way to go.

And speaking of Symphonia,
    the part where your party starts dropping one by one felt pretty intense at the time. In retrospect it was too obvious that everybody was coming back problem-free, but at the time I got caught up in it. Also, the way Botta's crew went out was pretty grim.

Stolls on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I thought that it was revealed at the end of MGS3 that her death and all of MGS3 was a set up.

jothki on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe not the best example, but Fire Emblem(PoR for me), i just cant let anybody die, i love my army too much. :(

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ico
    *real spoiler*
    Yorda can never leave the castle and the after credits sequence is just a dream.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Ico
    *real spoiler*
    Yorda can never leave the castle and the after credits sequence is just a dream.

You bastard!

Daedalus on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Meteos
    FORK

bruin on
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Diablo 2:
    Disgaea:
    I think it goes without saying that Flonne being turned into a flower at the end, in essence dying, is a lot more heart breaking than Aeris. I thought her receiving the punishment for her sins was still bullshit, after all she helped acheive. Though, the guy who handed out said punishment (whose name and rank I keep forgetting) also accepts his punishment delivered by Laharl. At least the good ending gave it all a reason.
    Gods, my friends and I used to have gaming nights where we simply played through Disgaea while doing other things, with the cut scenes being big focuses. The silence when Flonne was 'punished' was incredible, and it's the first time i've ever felt actual joy in annihilating an enemy in a video game. It soothed the soul.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jothki wrote: »

I thought that it was revealed at the end of MGS3 that her death and all of MGS3 was a set up.

Nope, Portable Ops. There is absolutely no reference to that in MGS3.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565