Options

It wasn't that you died, it was the WAY that you died

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Diablo 2:
    Disgaea:
    I think it goes without saying that Flonne being turned into a flower at the end, in essence dying, is a lot more heart breaking than Aeris. I thought her receiving the punishment for her sins was still bullshit, after all she helped acheive. Though, the guy who handed out said punishment (whose name and rank I keep forgetting) also accepts his punishment delivered by Laharl. At least the good ending gave it all a reason.
    Gods, my friends and I used to have gaming nights where we simply played through Disgaea while doing other things, with the cut scenes being big focuses. The silence when Flonne was 'punished' was incredible, and it's the first time i've ever felt actual joy in annihilating an enemy in a video game. It soothed the soul.

Yeah, the first time I saw it I was at a friend's house and his little brother was finishing up the game. It was a rather awkward silence, because my friend and his brother typically don't care for emotional moments. But they definitely felt it, I could tell.

Henroid on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Cave Story (for those who don't know what this is, it is a freeware RPG/shooter game that is very similar to Metroid or Kid Icarus):
    This game's story is just simply amazing. I'm only 3/4 through the game and I'm already disheartened by deaths that could've been prevented but I was unable to do so. such as:

WARNING, play the game before you read, major spoilers
    -Toroko: After being mistaken for Sue and kidnapped, she is fed a red flower and turns beserk. It's this part of the game that you learn a painful revelation, the effects of the red flowers are irreversible and only death can free the user from their tormented existence.
    -King: Even though he was a jerk, the poor guy just wanted to protect his sister. Doing so got him blasted away like he was nothing.
    -Curly: She comes back later, but nothing is more depressing than realizing that she sacrificed herself so that you can live on and defeat the evil doctor.
    -Prof. Booster: He had a small role and wasn't of great importance to the story but his death still stung. He was just thrown out with the trash, barely registering at all on the villains scopes. Why did they have to kill him? Because the villains are just evil enough to do so.

I'm sure there are others but I haven't finished playing it.

If you haven't played this awesome game, go to here and do so.
    You have no idea how much I cried when Curly died. :cry:

And then when I discovered I could have saved her I kicked myself. :(
    Hold the phone, I'm after the part where she sacrifices herself and gives me the oxygen tank. Was that where she dies permanently or does she show up alive sometime later?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ico
    *real spoiler*
    Yorda can never leave the castle and the after credits sequence is just a dream.

Okay that just blew my mind. I had honestly not thought of that.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I doubt that's even official. If it is, please provide the source.

I'm still waiting for an answer with FFT:A, concerning how much the ending changes if you lose those characters.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm still waiting for an answer with FFT:A, concerning how much the ending changes if you lose those characters.

I'd try to find the answer...but I haven't been able to play FFT:A since my Micro and cartridge got screwed up...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hold the phone, I'm after the part where she sacrifices herself and gives me the oxygen tank. Was that where she dies permanently or does she show up alive sometime later?
    Did you get the rope and bring her with you after you got the tank?

If not.... :cry:

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    Maybe not the best example, but Fire Emblem(PoR for me), i just cant let anybody die, i love my army too much. :(
    Yeah.

And none of them even die for an Important Reason, they don't Sacrifice Themselves So That Others May Live, they die because you screwed up. Their deaths are pointless and it's all your fault.

I always restart a chapter when I lose someone. Even it's Marcus.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ico
    *real spoiler*
    Yorda can never leave the castle and the after credits sequence is just a dream.

Okay that just blew my mind. I had honestly not thought of that.
    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3144673

Zell on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    1UP: So Ico "sees" Yorda because she wishes to see him. Not because she escaped from the castle and magically reappeared on the beach.

Ueda: Yes, that's one possible interpretation.

I don't consider this guy the kind of person who likes to spell out things, so I won't consider this canon. Besides, the final scene felt consistent with the ending, so I don't see why it would just be a dream.
    Why would Ico dream about a beach he's never been to? Or Yorda being in a different skin tone? Or that he's still missing his horns?

• Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, do your dreams usually make sense?

(and how do you even know he's never been to that beach?)

Zell on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I don't, but it's all under interpretation. The fact that he used that very line in the interview leads me to believe the dream claim isn't real, either.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought this topic was going to be about death sequences in games, in which case I'd put forward:

Another World (So many ways to die yet still such a good game)
    Prince of Persia (Getting sliced in half by those blades? Oof)
    Flashback (Similar to the above but with occasional nifty cutscenes for when you fried!)
    Creatures 2 - c64 (I WILL force someone to play it, deny that: http://www.gamestone.co.uk/zzap_world64/apex/creatures_2/diary/part4/04.jpg looks fun!)
    Ripper (Fat guy has stomach cut open)
    DreamWeb (I got to put an AXE in a guys stomach and then shoot someone having sex)
    Immortal (Lotsa ways to both die and kill things. Tap an ogre on the head with your staff and their head explodes!)

But it's not. Yet still I felt compelled to post that little list.

::Hmm, that link didn't work. Poopy::

::Further Edit - http://www.gamestone.co.uk/zzap_world64/main.php?sid=Apex%20Computer%20Productions&sec=Creatures%202%20Torture%20Trouble&page=14 Scroll half way down and see fluffy thing being chainsawed::

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    After playing through Megaman X series... all I have to say is 'God damn it Zero knock that shit off.'

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bendery wrote: »
    After playing through Megaman X series... all I have to say is 'God damn it Sigma knock that shit off.'

fix'd

LewieP on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »
    Deus Ex:
    "All right Page, it's you and me. Thanks for the lift, Jock... wait, what the... oh shit! JOOOOOOCK!"

No matter how many times I catch the saboteur, that first time still sticks with me.

On no kill runs, I knock him out and throw him into the fish tank.

You ... you don't count knocking somebody out and then drowning them as a kill? I don't think a jury would agree. ;)

Edit: Heh. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where the pirates take over Mr. Burns' yacht. "For liability purposes, it is the ocean that will kill you, not us."

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kor wrote: »

I don't think I was ever more impacted by a game, than when the baby metroid in Super Metroid dies.

Screw Final Fantasies, or whatever other JRPG you wanna throw out there. That little baby metroid deserves my tears.

On a side note, at what point does it become okay to openly talk about spoilers?

Holy shit you are right. That was the awesomest awesome that was ever awesome. I was like YEAH GO U LITTLE BASTRD!!! PROTECT ME!!!!!!!.....wait........don't die!!!! U've given me superpowers.....THANKS!!!! BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM!!!!!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    The only game that really just gave me that "Ouch, damn that hurts" feeling was the ending of Fallout and that wasn't even a death.

It was the most fucked up thing that could have happened to your character, though. That kind of
    abandonment from the very people you fought so hard to save
    was probably worse than death.

If I hadn't already
    killed all of the Super-Mutants I would have strolled right in there and told them where Vault 13 was just so they would go and fuck it up. Kick me out? Fuck that noise.

Yeah, there were some pretty harsh things in Fallout 1/2. I can't wait to see what awful things befall your character and those he/she interacts with in Fallout 3.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    PipboyPipboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The most tragic thing related Fallout was the death of Black Isle itself. I still get depressed thinking about it.

As for Fallout 3... I'd love to be cautiously optimistic, but I'm the sort of wacko who actually -liked- Fallout's turn based system, even if the only thing 'tactical' I ever really did with it was kicking a gigantic mutant rat in the groin. I miss turn based.

Pipboy on
  • Options
    DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kevar wrote: »
    But while that death is just sort of a bummer, this next one is legitimately sad, and the only one I can think of that comes close to the example in the first post. Tales of Symphonia.
    In one path of the game, your ally Zelos betrays you with the intent of being murdered by you, simply because he couldn't bear the burden of being The Chosen anymore.

Wait, what? I think I just missed a big chunk of ToS now D': (Which sucks because he was my favorite character.)

Except I really don't think I can be bothered playing through a 40 hour RPG again when I have ten games I haven't finished...

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pipboy wrote: »
    The most tragic thing related Fallout was the death of Black Isle itself. I still get depressed thinking about it.

As for Fallout 3... I'd love to be cautiously optimistic, but I'm the sort of wacko who actually -liked- Fallout's turn based system, even if the only thing 'tactical' I ever really did with it was kicking a gigantic mutant rat in the groin. I miss turn based.

What if I told you the turn-based system will remain, and that things will be somewhat like Fallout Tactics, allowing people the choice of real-time or turn-based combat?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pffft, you couldn't play Fallout Tactics in real-time, though. I'd lose three guys every mission if I had the real-time mode activated.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Pffft, you couldn't play Fallout Tactics in real-time, though. I'd lose three guys every mission if I had the real-time mode activated.

Heh, I always found I did far better in real-time mode.

Either way, I only mention it to calm the common fear that Fallout 3 using the Oblivion engine meant that it'd be more like a first-person shooter set in the Fallout universe rather than traditional Fallout gameplay.

Although, as I understand it, there are *some* changes to the way turns play out, the whole action points and turn-based thing will remain (and I have no idea how the real-time stuff will work, aside from skills/stats/health affecting your ability to hit things)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes, I hope Bethesda's Fallout will turn out great. I didn't know it was going to be set in a first person view. Have they confirmed that? How will I use the power fist to punch rats in their groins in the first person?

Has anyone played the Dragon's Lair games with Dirk the Daring? As I understand it, the game is more fun when you intentionally kill yourself.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Yes, I hope Bethesda's Fallout will turn out great. I didn't know it was going to be set in a first person view. Have they confirmed that? How will I use the power fist to punch rats in their groins in the first person?

Has anyone played the Dragon's Lair games with Dirk the Daring? As I understand it, the game is more fun when you intentionally kill yourself.

No, they haven't publically disclosed that, but I have my sources, and honestly should shut up before I get them in trouble.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Sonova.... *starts new game*

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm pretty sure when you lose a pivital characters, you get a game over.

I'm guessing whoever it was that talked about it before just hit reset so fast, he didn't give it a chance to pop up.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    Maybe not the best example, but Fire Emblem(PoR for me), i just cant let anybody die, i love my army too much. :(
    Yeah.

And none of them even die for an Important Reason, they don't Sacrifice Themselves So That Others May Live, they die because you screwed up. Their deaths are pointless and it's all your fault.

I always restart a chapter when I lose someone. Even it's Marcus.

It's reasons like these I just can't get into Fire Emblem. I have this urge to keep all my party members alive and I restart the chapter if even one of them dies. Obviously I haven't gotten very far in either the GBA or GC games.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I always hated having to kill Gunther in Deus Ex. Seemed like he was a good guy underneath it all.

It was especially sad when you used his killphrase.
    "I...am not... a machine--"

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

There's a whole ton of crap you'll have to do to save Curly:
    1. Get the medicine in the Laberynth and give it to the doctor.
    2. After defeating monster X, you will see the professor fall. Do NOT go after him. Instead, jump over the pit (there's a red line where you have to jump to get over without the booster) you won't have the booster for most a good deal longer, but don't worry, you'll get a better one later.
    3. Use the rope on Curly after beating the core.
    4. While you have Curly on your back in the waterway, after the part with the Jellyfish and the currents, you'll see a door guarded by a bat. Jump up there, and drain the water from Curly (check the computer). If you miss the jump, she WILL die and you'll have to load your save again. After draining, talk to her several times for her to wake up.
    5. After killing the big fish, she'll float away. Don't worry, that's normal.
    6. You'll find her with amnesia in the plantation. Talk to Cthulu. You need to go back to the migma graveyard to get a mushroom to cure her. Give it to her.
    7. After defeating what seems to be the final boss, on your way out, go into the shack, save and heal, and go down the hole. You'll find Curly at the bottom of a long spike pit, and you can strap her to your back again with the rope, but you'll have to go through hell (literally) to escape with her! Good luck, you'll need it.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

There's a whole ton of crap you'll have to do to save Curly:
    1. Get the medicine in the Laberynth and give it to the doctor.
    2. After defeating monster X, you will see the professor fall. Do NOT go after him. Instead, jump over the pit (there's a red line where you have to jump to get over without the booster) you won't have the booster for most a good deal longer, but don't worry, you'll get a better one later.
    3. Use the rope on Curly after beating the core.
    4. While you have Curly on your back in the waterway, after the part with the Jellyfish and the currents, you'll see a door guarded by a bat. Jump up there, and drain the water from Curly (check the computer). If you miss the jump, she WILL die and you'll have to load your save again. After draining, talk to her several times for her to wake up.
    5. After killing the big fish, she'll float away. Don't worry, that's normal.
    6. You'll find her with amnesia in the plantation. Talk to Cthulu. You need to go back to the migma graveyard to get a mushroom to cure her. Give it to her.
    7. After defeating what seems to be the final boss, on your way out, go into the shack, save and heal, and go down the hole. You'll find Curly at the bottom of a long spike pit, and you can strap her to your back again with the rope, but you'll have to go through hell (literally) to escape with her! Good luck, you'll need it.
    It's all worth it though since she's one of the most endearing characters in the game.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm guessing whoever it was that talked about it before just hit reset so fast, he didn't give it a chance to pop up.

During the main game, you can't get pivotal characters outside of Monteblanc. They only can join you after you do the 300 missions, which you can't complete until after the main storyline missions. If Monteblanc "dies" in a Jagd before then, he'll be out of the fighting permanently but I think he still is around to say a few things occasionally if there's a mission that relies on him being there normally, like he's crippled and can't sortie but isn't dead.

As for Fallout 3, as long as I can walk into a room and then proceed to make aimed shots to the eyes and groin to clear it of enemies to turn an encounter into a mixture of a cowboy saloon shootout and an assassin's handiwork, I'll be happy.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Bendery wrote: »
    After playing through Megaman X series... all I have to say is 'God damn it Sigma knock that shit off.'

fix'd
    Zero has only died officially once. The other time (in X5) he was just assumed dead, but he managed to pull through and repair himself.

During the main game, you can't get pivotal characters outside of Monteblanc. They only can join you after you do the 300 missions, which you can't complete until after the main storyline missions. If Monteblanc "dies" in a Jagd before then, he'll be out of the fighting permanently but I think he still is around to say a few things occasionally if there's a mission that relies on him being there normally, like he's crippled and can't sortie but isn't dead.

Thank you, mystery solved.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fire Emblem (GBA) did that in the first half of the game (Lynn's chapter).
    And that reason (Key characters don't die) was the reason my story characters were more powerful then my regular troops in Gladius (in random battles outside of arenas, you could be killed. UNLESS it was a story character.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Sniper Wolf guys. Sniper Wolf.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

...has been mentioned several times already in this thread.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

...has been mentioned several times already in this thread.

So me mentioning it again won't cause any harm then.

Psycho Mantis guys. Psycho Mantis.
    Vulcan Raven guys. Vulcan Raven.
    Liquid Snake guys. Liquid Snake.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Liquid Snake what? That bastard couldn't have died fast enough. :p

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think his death was better in Twin Snakes.
    Sure, everything is over the top and the jeep chase and all,
    but I wasn't expecting the fucker to GET BACK UP after dying

That's some fucking determination right there.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh yeah, I hated that guy. Whiny ass Liquid Snake and his whiny ass "zomg u r bettar genez" monologues... I cheered when he finally dropped.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It wasn't that he was whiny, it was that he had the endurance of a superhuman (which I guess he is, technically).
    Was inside REX when it blew up.
    Fell about 4 stories.
    Got shot about a hundred times.
    Had a heart attack.
    Jesus, already.