Options

It wasn't that you died, it was the WAY that you died

1235»

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It wasn't that he was whiny, it was that he had the endurance of a superhuman (which I guess he is, technically).
    Was inside REX when it blew up.
    Fell about 4 stories.
    Got shot about a hundred times.
    Had a heart attack.
    Jesus, already.
    Lives on THROUGH THIS ARM!

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Sniper Wolf guys. Sniper Wolf.

...has been mentioned several times already in this thread.

So me mentioning it again won't cause any harm then.

Psycho Mantis guys. Psycho Mantis.
    Vulcan Raven guys. Vulcan Raven.
    Liquid Snake guys. Liquid Snake.
    Gray Fox guys. Gray fox.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Sniper Wolf guys. Sniper Wolf.

...has been mentioned several times already in this thread.

So me mentioning it again won't cause any harm then.

Psycho Mantis guys. Psycho Mantis.
    Vulcan Raven guys. Vulcan Raven.
    Liquid Snake guys. Liquid Snake.
    Gray Fox guys. Gray fox.

Jesus how did I miss that guys. How did I?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    StarCraft:
    Tassadar. Such a noble death. Exiled by his people, he finally just crashed his Carrier into the Overmind hoping to end it all.

Final Fantasy 7:
    Aeris olol. But seriously, Jesse, Biggs, and Wedge, right before you leave Midgar. You arrive right in the middle of an intense battle for the pillar holding up the plate. You fight your way up the tower and you see that all of them are injured and still fighting anyway (except Wedge, fatass fell off the tower). And the the pillar is blown up and everyone just dies. Nothing big or elaborate, the plate just falls and everyone is gone. You don't even see them die, they just dissapear.

This one really got me because it was one of the first times in a game that a character actually died, and I have a tendancy to get really attached to characters. Seeing them die in such a thankless fashion just got to me.

[Edit]Resident Evil 4:
    MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Annnnd Warcraft 3:
    When Thrall and Grom confront Mannoroth in the canyon. Grom being the one to slay Mannoroth felt so right, even if he died in the process. It's the greatest example of repenting for the wrong doings of one's past. I know people tend to slam Blizzard's ability to write stories, but I think they do a damn fine job in their presentation.

HECK YES. Best cinematic in any game. Ever.

On another note, there is one death in Gears of War that kind of hit me.
    "I hope that's not Rojas down there. His little boy just turned two last week."

Only to find the mutilated corpse later, all alone in some basement.

"What is that?"

Stasis on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Surprised none of the deaths in Xenogears haven't been mentioned. The game is one of the more unforgiving RPGs I've played, in which many deaths are done without meaning or mercy.
    There's the destruction of Lahan. Anyone who played the demo could see Timothy's death from a mile away, but before you get a chance to react to his animated execution, Fei's awakened persona causes him to inadvertently vaporize his entire village, even killing his potential love interest Alice. I was pretty stunned, as I thought she would be a regular in the game.

Then there's Elly's mother. Hammer's betrayal came out of nowhere, but the way he just flips out and guns down Elly's mom is just tragic. But once again, you aren't given the chance to react, because then her father dies shortly after trying to defend your group in his Gear.

There was one death though that was both tragic and humorous.
    Samson, who tried to help Fei and Elly sneak around Solaris. There's a part where they have to go past a security gate, to which Samson claims he has a fake ID that is guaranteed to work. He casually enters the machine, which doesn't fall for the forged ID. Before Samson could finish his sentence, he's vaporized on the spot.

Fei is horrified, but I couldn't help but laugh at this part. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 7:
    Aeris olol. But seriously, Jesse, Biggs, and Wedge, right before you leave Midgar. You arrive right in the middle of an intense battle for the pillar holding up the plate. You fight your way up the tower and you see that all of them are injured and still fighting anyway (except Wedge, fatass fell off the tower). And the the pillar is blown up and everyone just dies. Nothing big or elaborate, the plate just falls and everyone is gone. You don't even see them die, they just dissapear.

On that topic...

FF6:
    Banon. In that you neither see his death or are told about it, he's just not there in the WoR. You're left to assume that he was killed like everyone else in Narshe, totally meaningless.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Planescape: Torment's the only game to ever bother me much, and that was with the
    sensory-stone Deionarra flashback.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 7:

On that topic...

FF6:
    Banon. In that you neither see his death or are told about it, he's just not there in the WoR. You're left to assume that he was killed like everyone else in Narshe, totally meaningless.

Agreed. Just like in MGS3, you're never given a clear indication that he died, so the fact that he was so insignificant that he pretty much vanished from the story makes things pretty tragic.

I'd like to add another name; Lisa Trevor from Resident Evil GC. Now keep in mind that it wasn't officially stated that she's dead (something still debated among fans), but the circumstances surrounding her are still pretty horrible, probably the worst out of anything listed so far.
    Once you get past the notion that she's probably the fucking scariest creature in the entire series and read up on her bio, you might shed a tear or two. Basically, Umbrella took this innocent teenager and spent years injecting her with all of their available viruses, until one day all those viruses finally manifested at once, mutating her in the worst way possible, and mucking up her brain Leatherface-style, killing her mother and then gathering the torn faces from her future victims.

And to think Spencer did all that to her just to fuck with her father (whom he already tortured by tossing him into an inescapable maze within his mansion). It's pretty damn depressing; if she's still alive, fans are hoping she'll resurface and get revenge on Wesker, Spencer, or whoever is still part of Umbrella.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Trevor

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    FF6:
    Banon actually dies before the world goes to hell. Remember how, after Leo dies and the Floating Continent is created the rest of the party members show up and are all "The emperor betrayed us! We were barely able to get out alive!"? That's when Banon (And all the other Returners, actually) die.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask:
    Deku Butler's Son. Goddamn.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like a GBA line. I need to stop putting it off. Still, considering his connection to the party, I think they would be a bit more open in revealing his death. They probably didn't witness it.
    Rhaka wrote: »

?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I think the most tragic gaming death has to be in MGS3:
    The Boss. She's the core of every single tragic occurance later down the timeline of the series. She laid the foundation, and it was because she was loyal to her most successful, and faithful, student. The fact that she's absolutely hated by the world over is not only tragic, but her grave didn't even have her name on it. She will forever go down as the backbone of that story and history, yet nobody will know her name, or what she did for her country.

The sacrifice, and willingness to do so, is absolutly heartwrenching in every way. :cry:
    It is revealed in Portable Ops that her death and all of MGS3 was a set up by a person yet unknown.
    I thought that it was revealed at the end of MGS3 that her death and all of MGS3 was a set up.

Nope, Portable Ops. There is absolutely no reference to that in MGS3.

Yes there is. Eva's tape explains all of it. Without it there would be no conspiracy. There would be no realization. Everything that Snake did in the closing cinematics wouldn't have happened without that realization. That part of the story is referenced and used as a building block in Portable Ops, but it is fully told within MGS3.

Renzo on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like a GBA line. I need to stop putting it off. Still, considering his connection to the party, I think they would be a bit more open in revealing his death. They probably didn't witness it.
    Rhaka wrote: »

?
    In the beginning of the game, on your way into Termina, you discover a mangled-up old tree. Later on you race the Deku Butler, and he remarks that you remind him of his son who has gone missing. In the credits he is shown weeping in front of that mangled-up tree. It gets strongly implied that the Skull Kid killed his son to make your Deku Scrub mask out of, and it's absolutely heartbreaking.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wow, I don't remember that. I actually tried replaying MM, but stopped after about an hour, then focued on Twilight Princess.