As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me pick a new phone

JeanJean Heartbroken papa bearGatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
My current phone is on it's last miles so I'll soon need a replacement.

Things I care about
  • Battery lifetime
  • Durability
  • Quick loadtimes
  • Reasonable cost

Things I don't care about
  • Brand loyalty (My current phone's a Samsung/Android but I'm open to anything)
  • Having 29238475 apps ( I only use the basics like calendar , calculator , alarm clock)
  • Internet capacity (Got my laptop for that)
  • Gaming (Got my XBOX / 3DS for that)

So what phone would you recomend me? :)

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    1) where do you live? Like, what country.
    2) how much are you willing to spend?
    3) if you want fast load times, but aren't playing games or browsing the internet... What do you need fast load times for?

I mean, if you seriously don't have any need for brightest and best, the galaxy s5 or the iPhone 5s will both give you two great years before the next upgrade, and cost 99 bucks or less right now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    1) I live in Québec,Canada
    2) Not much frankly :) Maybe 100-150 top?
    3) Right now my calendar , my contacts , my music, EVERYTHING loads quite slowly. This is pretty annoying.

I have about... 50 contacts and 150 songs on my phone, it shouldn't load slowly right?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    If you really don't care about app selection, a lot of people say Windows Phone is pretty smooth and they're usually cheap. Is $100 with a new contract or not?

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    The icons of stuff I actually use fits on one page on my current phone : phone calls, text messages, contacts , music , alarm clock, calendar, calculator.

That's it honestly, I already got me this brand new laptop for anything else I need to do :)

I do have $63 I need to pay on that current phone if I change right now but I'm willing to bite that bullet. That battery issue is really annoying and sometimes it won't even connect properly to my computer.

I'll look into that Windows Phone! :)

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Jean wrote: »
    The icons of stuff I actually use fits on one page on my current phone : phone calls, text messages, contacts , music , alarm clock, calendar, calculator.

That's it honestly, I already got me this brand new laptop for anything else I need to do :)

I do have $63 I need to pay on that current phone if I change right now but I'm willing to bite that bullet. That battery issue is really annoying and sometimes it won't even connect properly to my computer.

I'll look into that Windows Phone! :)

specifically, look at the Nokia Lumia 1520

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia1520/

If you are getting it on a 2 year contract it can be gotten for free in America, I cant imagine the deals are that different up there.

This phone gets a lot of love for having fantastic battery life and a zippy interface, which are things you said you cared about.

Also, I know you said you do not care about maps... but Google cannot be your overlord on this device - you map with Bing. No choice, since Google has not and will not release their apps on the platform.

But it isn't like Bing is Hot Garbage - if you know where you are going it is perfectly serviceable, like Google Maps or Apple maps... its just that nobody, nobody beats google on the typing in of a thing and getting exactly what you want out of it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If you're sticking with android the Moto X is pretty much the best all around choice right now.