As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GUST] Games. Atelier Ryza is now out, post your opinions here.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Oddly enough despite platinuming Ayesha, I still plan to get Ayesha plus, only because it was the most fun I had in the series so far.

Also should mention I'm getting one of the Atelier Iris games from Gamefly, and might keep it if it grips me. I'm amazed they even had it available.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Do those Plus games ever go on sale on PSN?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Do those Plus games ever go on sale on PSN?

Yes.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    KtlNWWE.png

$65. NISA store only.

It's pretty.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    oooh, fancy.

It's certainly different to the Japanese Premium box, but I'm not sure if a little art book, poster and crippled soundtrack could compared to the GUST 20th anniversary CD collection... In any case, that's a great set of goodies for those who don't look into the Japanese market for stuff

And from memory NISA doesn't ship to Australia anymore -_-

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »
    oooh, fancy.

It's certainly different to the Japanese Premium box, but I'm not sure if a little art book, poster and crippled soundtrack could compared to the GUST 20th anniversary CD collection... In any case, that's a great set of goodies for those who don't look into the Japanese market for stuff

They do. They opened up a European, Australian and New Zealand store where they charge you exceptionally more and give you exorbitant shipping costs on top of that.

• Options
    oooh, fancy.

They do. They opened up a European, Australian and New Zealand store where they charge you exceptionally more and give you exorbitant shipping costs on top of that.

I am so very very over CEs. I remember back in the day when they'd give you lots of swag just for buying the game. I remember the Lunar 1 and 2 sets for the PSOne, the actually good OSTs we got in Persona 3 and 4. I don't want a CE, I want a polished and well localized game. Focus on that first before you make Platinum versions of it.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Well, played an hour or two of Atelier Iris.

I had no idea some of my favorite music from the PS3 games were leftovers from the PS2 era. I don't mind them porting them over and having a lot of choice, but it's a little odd that the older music is my preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85fnZDzfcw&list=PL187EBCEE1A05272C&index=8

And I suppose we can almost consider Pamela the Cid of the Atelier universe... if it wasn't for the Dusk series ending the chain. It's one of the things I kinda dislike about the Dusk trilogy, Gust kinda toned down the returning character trope. There's both good and bad about that, and truthfully it'll only not work if their new characters aren't as interesting. Ah well, at least Wilbell is in all three.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I'm a bit farther through Iris 1 as I am through Ar Tonelico. It's pretty good if a touch antiquated. Fair warning, there's a point (an ice dungeon, I think) where the boss battles get a huge jump in difficulty. I'm almost considering just starting a new game at this point as well.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Atelier Iris has one of my favourite town themes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObN0ydUF4S8

I guess I'm stuck going through the older Atelier games partially due to the dated 3D graphics. I'd also have to say that Escha and Logy + Shallie have totally spoilt me in terms of item mechanics and synthesis. Being able to equip items so you don't have to constantly re-make combat consumables is great, even if it means you can't bring enough supplies to last a year out in the fields. The modern synthesis system is one part engaging and one part cruel. It really adds to the usual mechanics of manipulating elemental values but it really scratches the puzzle itch when you try to push your goals such as 'I wonder if I can somehow get another 20 Fire BUT keep Wind above 40 with the skills I have. Maybe if I dropped that item that has Earth and double up on Wind...'. It also does a great job of opening up new things to do, which can be cruel in making that item you just synthesised less potent all because you got access to new skills.

I believe Iris 2 didn't have Pamela but there was a suitable replacement that was almost the same.

Takel on
  • Options
    Hey, something to talk about that doesn't suck! (Sorry, Ar Nosurge isn't terrible, but it's far from great IMO)

Atelier Ayesha Plus is out today, the first of the Dusk trilogy on the Vita. I work until 6, but if someone grabs it before and has time, check and see if it really can import the PS3 version's save file. That's a very awesome addition if true, and a good way to give people incentive to buy it again.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Ar NoSurge was good but it suffered for being too connected to Ciel. They did a token job of altering dialogue to disconnect it if you didn't have Ciel save data, but it was way too obvious you were just picking up a story mid-paragraph.

It was like Chrono Cross all over again. A game that when you looked at it on its own didn't really need to be connected to another game, that ended up losing points both because it was, and because the developers tried so hard not to alienate people who didn't play the previous one that they ended up doing exactly that anyway.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Ar NoSurge was good but it suffered for being too connected to Ciel. They did a token job of altering dialogue to disconnect it if you didn't have Ciel save data, but it was way too obvious you were just picking up a story mid-paragraph.

It was like Chrono Cross all over again. A game that when you looked at it on its own didn't really need to be connected to another game, that ended up losing points both because it was, and because the developers tried so hard not to alienate people who didn't play the previous one that they ended up doing exactly that anyway.

You have points, but from a game perspective you have to admit it's arguably the buggiest and worst localized of the series. It's hard to recommend a game where you need a laundry list of workarounds and warnings to play correctly.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Well, apparently the 'bring your PS3 data over' really meant 'if you played the PS3 version you get bonus outfits'. A shame I have to start over, but I'm curious how much Hard mode adds to the gameplay.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I kind of hate save-transfers between games that may or may not actually become available.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    I kind of hate save-transfers between games that may or may not actually become available.

Having grown up on the Quest for Glory series, I've been kinda spoiled by devs that do it right.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Alright, so I've been trying to work my way through Eschatology in order to prep myself for Shallie when it arrives soon. And then... the game gives me an extra year. That's great! But... I will say this last part wasn't thought out very well. It's literally just a year of grinding and stat-padding, and after all the assignments and events from the previous three years, having an entire year where almost nothing happens is kinda jarring.

And now I have to do silly stuff, like get into battle specifically to use items I never used and never had to in order to finish the assignment grid. I suppose that's the one downside to the assignment system, it inevitably boils down to achievement grinding. Not that I WON'T do it, but it could be implemented better.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Is there a date for Shallie? I need to get back to Eschatology myself.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Bonepart wrote: »
    Is there a date for Shallie? I need to get back to Eschatology myself.

March 10, next Tuesday. Better hurry up. ;)

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Ah, thanks for the info. I don't really keep up with news of any kind, so anything I hear game related comes from these forums :biggrin:

I just went and picked up all the Atelier Plus versions because of the sale. To good to pass up! Nevermind that I own ALL of them for the PS3 already...

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Was Ar NoSurge Plus on Vita coming to NA?

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Was Ar NoSurge Plus on Vita coming to NA?

Have not heard anything. Don't get your hopes up. Although I will say with it being a sequel to Ciel, it should've been a Vita game in the first place. But I doubt the PS3 game sold enough to warrant the Vita cash in. UNLESS it fixes all the bugs and localization issues of the prime game. I'd consider that a worthwhile apology.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So I've ordered Shallie through Amazon, mostly because I had to order a few phone accessories, and wanted to order enough to get free shipping. Should have in in two days, which might be enough time for me to finish up Eschatology. If anyone's buying it today, whether at B&M or DDing the thing, give us your early impressions of the game.

I admit to being a little curious to how Lucien Dodge does as Kortes, been following his work since Dust: an Elysian Tail. It's a shame his next big role was Zack/Drake in Time & Eternity, but I'll also admit his character was the only one I really liked in the game.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    I've played a little bit of the JPN version but I've got the US version downloading. I'll give first impressions on the initial bits (story setup, synthesis, combat systems, side jobs, exploration, the new life goals sytem) and I'll be playing on Hardcore/Hard mode using Shallistera.

• Options
    I've played a little bit of the JPN version but I've got the US version downloading. I'll give first impressions on the initial bits (story setup, synthesis, combat systems, side jobs, exploration, the new life goals sytem) and I'll be playing on Hardcore/Hard mode using Shallistera.

Part of me was wondering if there was a reason for not playing on a harder mode, since there's no time limit to hold back your grinding. Though that also means they can put clownshoes-tough bosses in the game as well, which is what I'm concerned about. I'm pretty done with Meruru-level bosses where you need to beat the game three times to stand a chance.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    The fact that you need to grind?
    The harder difficulty from memory was described as for Atelier fans who wanted to take it slower. Shallie is still downloading so once I wake up and give it a run over with descriptions I can understand fully I'll give impressions.

• Options
    TangentialTangential Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Huge huge HUGE warning for anybody playing Shallie.

When you reach level 40, that unlocks the Growth System, which is currently bugged up the ass and then some. As soon as you open it, it displays Japanese text and then crashes the PS3. All English versions.

Tangential on
  • Options
    Tangential wrote: »

When you reach level 40, that unlocks the Growth System, which is currently bugged up the ass and then some. As soon as you open it, it displays Japanese text and then crashes the PS3. All English versions.
    Yeah, I remember hearing about this. This is bad even for KT... this really needs a day 1 patch.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Ugh.

• Options

Sounds like a little bit of NISA is rubbing off on them. :bzz:

At least with KT there's a reasonable expectation of them bothering to fix it.

• Options
    edited March 2015

The company they use for Atelier localization is Actil, which is made up of ex-NISA employees.

And they never bothered to fix the half billion E&L interface bugs or grossly mistranslated gameplay text.

I think this is probably significant enough to get their asses in motion, but when? Fuck knows.

It does provide a good barometer for what reviewers actually played the game though.

Tangential on
  • Options
    It does provide a good barometer for what reviewers actually played the game though.

Yeah. Things like this, which are huge bugs that every actual player runs into, makes it easy to spot fake reviewers.

• Options

The company they use for Atelier localization is Actil, which is made up of ex-NISA employees.

Ever had moments where you were being facetious but still managed to be right on the nose?

• Options
    This... Might be my last day 1 purchase of a Gust game, and that comes from a giant fan of theirs. These bugs and localization problems are clownshoes, and I can't continue rewarding KT's shitty practices. After 3 games with sub par Western releases, they either get their shit together, or I'm buying their next game used/cheap.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    And yeah, I'll throw this out there too. I'd rather it stay voiced in Japanese and get the localization down right, rather than get an English cast but have the localization be hot trash. Trust me, fans of these kinds of games wouldn't consider that a deal breaker.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    It's more than just the crashing. There aren't as many typos or text overflow errors as E&L, but the translation is still hideously awful. Life Tasks especially are chronically mislabeled/mistranslated.

Do they do any QA at all on these things?

• Options
    It's more than just the crashing. There aren't as many typos or text overflow errors as E&L, but the translation is still hideously awful. Life Tasks especially are chronically mislabeled/mistranslated.

Do they do any QA at all on these things?

I just know these last 3 games are starting to make me miss NISA, and I didn't think I'd ever say that.

I also know I'm probably playing Oreshika more than Shallie for a while. That's a tiny-ass game for the Vita, but Sony knew to at least localize it right and not have it crash randomly.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

As if I needed another reason to wait for the Plus version.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Speaking of Plus versions...

Good god, I hadn't realized Ayesha Plus was so awful too. I think they actually added errors over the NISA localization.

u7DYpOi.jpg

Edit: spoiler for even more
    ehNYMEW.jpg

Supposedly they corrupted the audio table too, so using Linca's special plays random voice clips instead of hers. What a mess.

Tangential on
  • Options
    In today's episode of "how much can corporate PR downplay an issue"...

http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/shallie/#notice
    There has been a minor issue reported for Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea:

The "Growth System" - unlocked when a player reaches level 40 (around 10 hours in)- freezes when opened. Gust is working on a solution to this problem but in the meantime it is recommended that players do not access this system when prompted and that they save their game after the completion of the tutorial.

This has no serious effect on the player experience.

Please keep checking our website and official channels for more information and updates.