As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's [chat]

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Pony wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Alaska's rate of documented human deaths from dog bites (1.8 per million population per year) is 100 times the national rate (0.02 per million population per year).

Huh.

Feed the dogs more kibble?

The pop of alaska is 0.8M.
    That number is "slightly less than once per two years"

Sure.

I am still curious why the rate is 100 times higher.

because statistics look weird when you interpret them on the wrong scale

Converting a hugely disproportionate rate back into the small number, that is a classic misleading move.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    For reals tho ferrets are like a magic anti-rodent solution

When I had ferrets not only were mice coming inside not an issue rabbits in the yard weren't even an issue. All it took was occasionally sprinkling used litter nearish the garden and rabbits wouldn't even enter our yard let alone the garden.

Which always amazed me in a nature is neat kind of way.

There is no reason for a rabbit in a city in the upper midwest to fear the smell of ferret urine/droppings in a recent history sense because they basically don't exist in the wild and haven't for ages and yet? They know

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I remember really not liking Gattaca very much. It just seemed so boring.

But I was a dumb kid back then. Was my opinion just that of a dumb kid's?

Gattaca's problem, I think, is that all those genetically perfect people and Ethan Hawke don't show much in the way of emotion. They go through the day rather blank and subdued and that's not very fun to watch.

Only that doctor guy seems like a genuine person. And I guess Jude Law's bitterness is kind of funny.

Personally, I still like the movie. But more for its ideas than its characters.

I feel like the "emotionless" thing was an intentional choice, to differentiate between the Valids and the Invalids. The invalid cops, the janitors, all of those characters showed emotions freely.

You see Ethan Hawke constantly holding back and forcing himself to be emotionless and carefree, and it's only in the presence of people he trusts implicitly the the can let his guard down and show who he really is.

I suspect that the lack of an outward display of emotion in Valid society is a vestige of Western upper class culture that has been carried into the new society. They like to pretend that emotion is a weakness reserved for the underclass, but even the Valid characters become emotional when they are placed in situations of great stress or misfortune.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I remember really not liking Gattaca very much. It just seemed so boring.

But I was a dumb kid back then. Was my opinion just that of a dumb kid's?

Gattaca's problem, I think, is that all those genetically perfect people and Ethan Hawke don't show much in the way of emotion. They go through the day rather blank and subdued and that's not very fun to watch.

Only that doctor guy seems like a genuine person. And I guess Jude Law's bitterness is kind of funny.

Personally, I still like the movie. But more for its ideas than its characters.

I feel like the "emotionless" thing was an intentional choice, to differentiate between the Valids and the Invalids. The invalid cops, the janitors, all of those characters showed emotions freely.

You see Ethan Hawke constantly holding back and forcing himself to be emotionless and carefree, and it's only in the presence of people he trusts implicitly the the can let his guard down and show who he really is.

I suspect that the lack of an outward display of emotion in Valid society is a vestige of Western upper class culture that has been carried into the new society. They like to pretend that emotion is a weakness reserved for the underclass, but even the Valid characters become emotional when they are placed in situations of great stress or misfortune.

Yeah, I understand why it's there. I'm just saying it's not much fun to watch.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Right, holiday day 4 and today's goal, typhoid immunisation. Wtf

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Fair enough. I find the whole film to be quite stirring, from the restrained performances to the starkly beautiful aesthetics, to the near-timeless quality of the technology. It feels like a world that might be possible right now, or in 50 years, or 50 years ago, if only a few technological gaps had been filled in.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    man I just got this new macbook

never used mac os before

*swipe*+multiple desktops is so much more elegant than alt+tab for illicit gaming

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Good morning [chat]

I hope you are all doing well!

I imagine I'm speaking to mostly UK [chat]ters at this time, so I just want to say

When you go into the polling booth today, remember

Dictator-for-life-candidate BeNarwhal wants only the best for you and yours.

Search your soul, and vote like it tells you to. (As part of my campaign, I may or may not have clandestinely took control of your souls)

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Good morning [chat]

I imagine I'm speaking to mostly UK [chat]ters at this time, so I just want to say

Search your soul, and vote like it tells you to. (As part of my campaign, I may or may not have clandestinely took control of your souls)

My parents pledged my soul to Rome, you have no sway over it.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Good morning [chat]

All hail the overlord!
    All hail the overlord!

sig.gif
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    what should I eat for dinner

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Good morning [chat]

Excuse me

As emperor

I am Rome

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

Pasketti

• Options

Durian

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    hah! I don't have a soul I sold that years ago!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

You're also not voting today, so what good are you? :P

... unless you are, through some coincidence.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

maybe I am you don't know

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    pasta does seem appealing

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

maybe I am you don't know

True, but that's not fair

I don't know much!
    pasta does seem appealing

Pasketti

• Options
    Good morning [chat]

Excuse me

As emperor

I am Rome

Sic semper Narwhalus

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    What happen? D:

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Good morning [chat]

Excuse me

As emperor

I am Rome

Sic semper Narwhalus

Crackle. Definitely crackle.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Are we a cereal?

• Options

Stir-fried vegetables and something.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Are we a cereal?

Are you not?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Good morning [chat]

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto Narwhal that which is Narwhal's

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Good morning [chat]

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto Narwhal that which is Narwhal's

You

You get to be a consul

• Options
    Looking at that interesting newspaper in the ANZ Politics thread regarding Australia's Boat People, and it got me thinking.

A brief tangent to explain where I'm coming from. However it's about reproductive rights so if it's too early in the morning for you, I shall spoiler it. Feel free to criticise me for it if you choose to though!
    I've always through that the Pro-Life movement has been attacking the "problem" - and whether there is a problem is a different discussion entirely - from the wrong end. From what I see the question that is most commonly asked is "How do we stop women getting abortions?", when a more insightful angle might be "Why do women want an abortion?" What is it about society that makes women unwilling to bear a child? And if we want to lower abortions, shouldn't we make having a child and raising it both possible and socially acceptable? How can we fix the pressures society places on women that makes them feel abortion is the answer? And possibly most important, how can we ensure that women don't unintentionally end up in the situation where they have to make that choice in the first place?

I know there are actual reasons for why this isn't the case, but it's not my point and would be a discussion in itself. Just that I think you can be pro-life and advocate policies to that effect without reducing women to their maekbabby function.

So with the Boat People thing in Australia, and a recent slightly sensationalised report I saw about Calais being "besieged" by asylum seekers trying to enter Britain, a similar thought process started: My observation is the question asked when it comes to immigration is "How do we prevent illegals entering the country?" Once again I think of the alternate question: "Why are they so desperate to enter the country?" What forces are driving them to leave their homes for the desperate hope of a better life? Is there anything we could do to address those forces, so they don't feel the need to come here?

Again there are a multitude of answers and reasons for the current situation not being handled in a different way, but I think it's a healthy thought exercise when thinking about topics like this.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Since I got hit by insomnia, I decided to get experimental with some food.

Never. Again.

Neco on
  • Options

Never. Again.

Homercerealfire_zpsa0a578f8.jpg

• Options

Never. Again.

What did you make / eat / create / unleash?

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Never. Again.

Gum & nuts, together at last!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Grilled cheese and peanut butter?

• Options
    I have to stay awake for at least 10 more hours

Not gonna make it

• Options
    I slept at 9, woke at 1, and have an interview at 11:30. Unfortunate.

Maybe I can fit in a nap.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I made an unholy abomination involving smoked salmon, pepperoncinis, corn tortillas, balsamic vinaigrette. All I could taste was salt.

• Options
    Crap it's almost 3.

Way past bedtime.

• Options
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/17/new-animated-justice-league-digital-series-in-the-works
    A new digital three-part animated Justice League series is in the works from DC Entertainment, Warner Bros., and Machinima.

Variety reports that Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles will hit in spring of 2015 and will “revolve around a newly conceived reality in the DC Universe where Justice League members Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are much darker versions of the Super Heroes that people think they know.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

• Options
    DC Comics in a few years:

spacer.jpg

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    #Anime
    The story is set in an academy that is a cloistered "orchard" for girls to be educated and cultivated away from external influences. Five girls spend their lives within these walls in repentance and atonement. Yuuji Kazami has just enrolled as the sole male student there.

This discussion has been closed.