As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Programming] djmitchella travelling through snow to rfind duplicate dates for singletons

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I'd much prefer typing just letters vs letters and underscore, efficiency wise.

A few extra letters is pretty negligible to my efficiency/flow, underscore is a bit more jarring even if it isn't very much more of a deal and typing isn't the majority of what makes for efficient programming...

It still is like FUCK YOU, UNDERSCORE creeping into my brain.

OrokosPA.png
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Why would you not refer to it as stock everywhere, that is a whole lot of hassle for 2 letters.

Because being consistent is one of those things that is hard on what is likely code done by a lot of people on crunch/must work now time.

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    I would make you so angry.

Hah, why? Same naming convention for everything? I don't mind that so much. There's so much bigger fish to fry in the world of programming than naming things. =D

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I use that camelCase system for everything.

C++, Java, Python, PHP, C#

The older I get the harder it is to remember everything under the sun. If I was still 14 I probably would just use whatever I felt like using at the moment.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    By order of importance:

1. Follow the standard/style of the project you are currently in.
    2. Follow the standard/style guide of the language you are writing in.
    3. ?????
    4. Do whatever the fuck you want.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One thing I do that probably annoys other people is to underscore private methods on a class. It means I can see at a glance which are public and it makes the auto complete on function call when you're writing the class that much quicker.

In other news AWS bill rose to $25 with no change to what I was doing. Now there's even more acronyms and mystery charges.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i use _underscore to denote a private variable

and I use meta for GUI variables that correspond directly to a named variable for binding

so "myObject.name" would bind to "lblName"

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Why would you not refer to it as stock everywhere, that is a whole lot of hassle for 2 letters.

I have no clue.

The library itself (mostly) uses the stk prefix. But whenever it's referred to from another core library, it uses the stock prefix.
    roberto-stabby-gif.gif

Campy on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    If you prefix anything with _underscore in a C++ project I will go :bowen: all over you.

single or double leading underscores are reserved for the compiler and standard library ( except for underscore followed by a number e.g. _1 )

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    we...do the _underscore in our c++ code...

*ducks*

Wait are we getting an animated gif of my avatar making stabbing motions with a knife ?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    we...do the _underscore in our c++ code...

*ducks*

I first have to stab myself since I work on projects that use double underscore for include guard names, no matter how many times we bring up that it is against C++ standards.

Ethea wrote: »
    If you prefix anything with _underscore in a C++ project I will go :bowen: all over you.

single or double leading underscores are reserved for the compiler and standard library ( except for underscore followed by a number e.g. _1 )

alternative?

I think in C++ I might use casingSuchAsThis for member level variables of varying access level, and then CasingSuchAsThis() for public accessor methods

Yesssssssssss do itttttttttt

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    God dammit. If you don't understand IEEE-754 don't write your own goddamn rounding and/or truncation functions.

This:
    int iSuck = (dSuck * 1000000 + 0.99);
    double dSuck = iSuck / 1000000;

Is wrong.

Kakodaimonos on
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    According to the google style guide, you should be using the underscore at the end, i.e. variablename_ . I don't think I agree with this though, personally I think I prefer a prefix to denote access level over postfix.

So, in short, most people do whatever the fuck they want.

Sounds right to me.

Languages need better fixed point support.

I find when most people want decimals, they almost never want floating point decimals.

I guess they call that radix independent floating point, I always just called it fixed point decimal.

Decimal is great when languages support it!

I need fixed point support in Objective-C

not sure something convenient to use exist, haven't looked to be honest.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Project I'm working on is generating powerpoint documents.

At times it calls charts "tables" and it's really fucking confusing. It'll be like:
    public static void generateAxisLabels(Chart table, Document doc){}

Why not call it a fucking chart? That's what it fucking is!

"Chart chart" is a great way to fuck with people too.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    public static void generateAxisLabels(Chart chrat, Document doc) {}

Go with "c" then. Once "chart" is passed in then there's nothing that needs to happen to it. You don't need to say "Chart chart" anywhere.

chart.getSeriesNames().get(0);

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than:

table.getSeriesNames().get(0);

Delmain wrote: »
    public static void generateAxisLabels(Chart chrat, Document doc) {}

Not sure if I hate you or love you.

Why do you do this to my emotions, man?

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Chart graff

Chart excelData

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Chart course

OrokosPA.png
    Chart chrtChart

public static void findTheWhiteDeer(Chart cHart) {}

public static void findWindowsDriverVersion(int iNT) {}

Chart chart_Chrt

Chart new_chrt_obj = NewChartFactoryObject.getChartObjectFactory().createChartObject();

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    the word chart has ceased to have any meaning to me

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    public Object AbstractSingletonProxyChartFactory.GetChartProxyAxisDataProxy(ProxyChart pChart)

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Not enough FactoryFactories.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I'm dangerously close to bloodlust.

Not enough FactoryFactories.

Yeah I wanted to avoid making bowen's blood boil.

public AbstractKnifeProxy AbstractKnifeBeanMutableKnifeFactory.CreateAndInstantiateAbstractKnifeProxy(KnifeProxyParameters nKnifeProxyParams)

• EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    public AbstractKnifeProxy AbstractKnifeBeanMutableKnifeFactory.CreateAndInstantiateAbstractKnifeProxy(KnifeProxyParameters _nKnife_prxy_par)

Just because I'm having a really bad day.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant