As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SE++ Minecraft: We're Still Here!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    none of the other versions have endless maps I think? but I suppose there's no reason the java version couldn't scale itself down to fit in the constraints of the other versions

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Limited maps are better anyways, i hated having to travel for a half hour between players

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    moslydeafmoslydeaf Registered User new member
    Do i have to own minecraft to play? use to play with SE++ cats a while back and even met up with some people in indianapolis but i've long since lost my info for minecraft.net and the penny aracade forum. Currently playing on a dead-ish server with a [redacted] client. Would enjoy playing somewhere more active though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    SE++ server is dead sadly, the OP is out of date.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GlitterkittenGlitterkitten Minion of the Feline Overlords Registered User regular
    Friends! Have you found other servers to join? ghostfish and I are considering trying Realms. Anyone done this? Anyone who might want to do it with us? We can have up to 10 people I guess.

• Options
    PassionateLoviePassionateLovie Registered User regular
    @Glitterkitten I'll join! I've been itching to play :3

• Options
    GlitterkittenGlitterkitten Minion of the Feline Overlords Registered User regular

We need your Mojang username to add you.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'm always down for some Minecraft! My username is Dr_Flamingo

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options

it's DrFishTank!

• Options
    SinisterSlimeSinisterSlime Registered User regular
    im game for some mc if you want a slimer: SinisterSlime_ is my user

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'd be down if there is still space. . Webguy20

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular

it's DrFishTank!

DrFishTank or DrFishTank! did not work

• Options
    eldercore wrote: »

it's DrFishTank!

DrFishTank or DrFishTank! did not work

nevermind it's Ohhpeaches I thought I changed the name but I guess I hadn't yet O:

• Options
    @PassionateLovie @SinisterSlime @webguy20
    You can find invite under the Minecraft Realms option.

Spawn ended up being near a NPC village so we are building around that. All villagers dead already, so that will be a project. Soon will have a house and a wall around the village, and a nether portal.

If you want to help build spawn village or around the general spawn area that is fine, or whatever you want to do. Have not explored much around so not sure if anything cool nearby.

Only 10 of us on server so it might be nice if we are not super spread out, but we can see how things happen.

• Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    Been catching up on releases I missed. That Shulker Box is pretty sweet! An extra 27 slots you can carry around with you, in addition to the ender chest??

(Of course, you need to do all that "getting to the end" and "killing the dragon" stuff to even start farming for the materials...)

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    Been playing some Minecraft again!

I think this might be the first time I've tried to bootstrap completely solo. In the past, I usually dove right into building a base for myself, relying on other players to find and curate villages. Since I knew this time I was going to try solo, I've been avoiding building anything and instead focusing purely on the "tech tree".

My rough progress:

* Found target village (a nice dark oak village, my favorite tree!). Protect it, expand gardens, add doors, now it is self-sustaining.
    * Rather than constantly expand the village even further, I prefer to just kill every villager that isn't useful (I've probably killed 20+ nitwits and a dozen butchers by now).
    * First 4 Diamonds (Pick -> Enchanting Table -> grind until Fortune 3 -> enchant)
    * First iron golem farm set up, across the river from my village.

Now I am in the villager curation loop, I've gotten a workable toolsmith for the mid-game (E2U1 Pick), but I am still looking for Armorsmiths and Weaponsmiths (ideally, I want 2 weaponsmiths, so I can get a semi-decent diamond sword and semi-decent diamond axe without wasting diamonds).

I had forgotten how big the F3 pick is for the early wealth loop. Not only is it necessary for your diamond growth, but the crop yield for potatoes and carrots is so much bigger with Fortune (you need that steady supply of emeralds to test/discard librarians, while looking for those tasty Looting/Fortune/Infinity/Unbreaking/etc. etc. enchantments).

• Options
    Also, if you've never heard of "fly bow" (shooting yourself with a Punch II bow while flying with elytra), check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/4im77m/elytra_punch_ii_bow_tutorial_consistent_flight_no/

Apparently, with practice you can use this to fly around The End swiftly and easily, making finding more end cities a breeze.

• Options
    This is probably old news to many, but on Glitter's suggestion I installed the VoxelMap mod (which seems to work fine with vanilla server like Realms).

It's pretty nice, compared to my memory of Rei's years ago. One thing that is almost like cheating is the way you can "see" caverns and mine shafts quite a ways away from you, about 400? Blocks away fully zoomed out. That doesn't directly help you find e.g. diamonds, but it can give you a leg up when trying to light up an area or searching for spawners.

(This morning I finally found a skeleton spawner, after searching 3 full mineshafts and destroying at least 6 cave spider spawners. First XP farm incoming!)

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    This is probably old news to many, but on Glitter's suggestion I installed the VoxelMap mod (which seems to work fine with vanilla server like Realms).

It's pretty nice, compared to my memory of Rei's years ago. One thing that is almost like cheating is the way you can "see" caverns and mine shafts quite a ways away from you, about 400? Blocks away fully zoomed out. That doesn't directly help you find e.g. diamonds, but it can give you a leg up when trying to light up an area or searching for spawners.

(This morning I finally found a skeleton spawner, after searching 3 full mineshafts and destroying at least 6 cave spider spawners. First XP farm incoming!)

I think that's the same one I was using to search around my catacombs once the map went down. With spectator mode as well, you can get a great view of everything underground.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    Makes sense! I like how I can visually see my mining efforts too, like this:

fawrei3ksmg8.png

• Options
    Anyone on the Realms server interested in killing the dragon? The portal to the stronghold is now connected to the nether highway, and in a week or two the portal should be open (just need enough ender eyes).

We should have the bare minimum necessary for the fight:
    - Prot 3 Unbreaking 3 Diamond Chest (available from the village)
    - Iron armor for other slots (plenty of iron at village)
    - Bows and arrows (plenty of Power 2 bows and tons of arrows at the skeleton grinder)
    - Sharp 2 Diamond Swords (from village; optional, but helpful if you accidentally aggro endermen)
    - Healing potions / golden apples (I have plenty)

Unfortunately I don't have any useful protection or unbreaking librarians at the village yet, so if you want beefier armor, you'll need to grind at an enchanting table.

I'm thinking next Saturday (week from today) or the following Saturday (Sep 30th), maybe 8pm west coast / 11pm east coast? (Or feel free to suggest an alternate time, if you want in and can't do it then.)

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    If it's night time, I'm in!

• Options
    Never fought the dragon, is there going to be enough of us?

• Options
    Absolutely! I am geared up enough to take it on solo now, but having more people is both more fun and makes it easier to take out the shrines (more potential targets means more opportunities to climb up the obsidian pillars without being strafed by the dragon).

• Options
    We are currently free the next 2 Saturdays, so should be good whenever, other than baby variables

• Options
    Unrelated comment mostly for ghost+glitter: I think we should move the animals (pigs, sheep, cows, etc) in spawn 50 blocks south or west, to get them out of the spawn chunks.

I recently learned that any passive mobs in spawn chunks count towards the mob cap, which basically means that if there are 11 animals in spawn chunks, no animals (including parrots!) can spawn naturally anywhere in already-loaded chunks.

Let me know what you think, I might try propping up some pens to see what it would look like.

• Options
    I'm actually a little far back on the tech tree, but I'm on the cusp of having an enchanting table, so I should be able to get battle-ready this week.

• Options
    Yes! Let's move them. Also means we can make a new horse paddock since the horses keep getting out. I really need that donkey because I need to breed pack mules!

At the Spawn village there are color swatches of the glazed terracotta and a chest with samples for everyone to take home. @Vrtra Theory - yours were delivered to your village [in the "for glitter" chest]. Looks awesome btw!

• Options
    So, how do things look for Saturday? Let's try to meet up around 8pm/11pm EST, get prepped, and kill the dragon about 8:30/11:30?

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    That sounds fine for me.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    I will be acting as cannon fodder.

• Options
    I'll definitely hop on in a few hours. I just have to make sure to pay attention to the time in the EST.

• Options
    Thanks to everyone who helped out with the fight! It turns out that one particular achievement requires you to get the killing blow, so I'm sure we will be doing more dragon fights and eventually get it for everybody (I snagged the killing blow this time.)

Regarding loot: we've found 3 elytra so far (myself, Meta, and Doc). We also got quite a few shulker shells, so if you want a couple to build a shulker box, let me know - I have some extras.

We didn't do a good job of this in the excitement of the first night, but it's probably a good idea to "sign off" on a city by leaving a sign inside the main entrance. Something like "completely looted", or "wings are gone but other loot remains", or "not explored yet". That way someone who comes along a month from now doesn't get all the way to a ship and be disappointed.

I will take a little break from the end, but of course you know before too long the itch will get too strong and I will start on the EnderFarm3.0 ;).

• Options
    ick, internet down for 24 hours - now back

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Hey all, I made a simple blaze farm, if anyone is itching for excess blaze rods. It's not the fastest XP, but you can get a stack of blaze rods in about 15 minutes with a Looting 3 sword. The entrance is off of the "back alley" -- the new road that runs behind the nether fortress (instead of going straight from spawn portal, turn left instead, you'll be facing the back alley road).

(Forgot some coords - the entrance is at X=-194 Z=-67 Y=70.)

Vrtra Theory on
  • Options
    I'm trying my hand at a new farm. I've never built one of these before.

cn91t2ge8jev.png

(Teaser screenshot. :biggrin:)

• Options
    It works!

htr1kb3brcr7.png
    dnz7xe9bsbmh.png

The creeper farm is open for business, and is accessible in the nether at X=96 Y=97 Z=262. You can follow the path to Glitter Gulch from spawn, there's a fork in the road that leads you to the "path" (very rough) to the portal.

As I feared, the rate is pretty dismal compared to single player, but it does work. You can get about 4 stacks of gunpowder with a solid hour of waiting around. I may try adding more layers and see if I can bump that up, but for now, you can build yourself a nice stack of rockets with a little idling if you want!

• Options
    @Vrtra Theory - Am I authorized to monkey around in the village? We are in desperate need of more villagers! Librarians with unbreaking and efficiency are on my mind. You hadn't wanted to hurt the village stats by having villagers die passive deaths, but maybe that isn't such an issue? I would be gently coaxing the losers into a little lava - I don't set them on fire with flint and steel like you, you monster!

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Hey Glitter, actually you were right -- the lava trick works just fine. The method I have been using is exactly what you mentioned, where I just open a square underneath a villager, drop the lava bucket in the hole, then pick it up back a few seconds later (and fill in the hole). So absolutely, monkey away!

There are a few reasonable librarians wandering around in the village that I just haven't considered worth saving (but probably aren't worth killing either). And, I try to keep most of the browncoats around, so that there's always plenty of harvesters. But totally have at killing any greencoats / butchers / clerics / cartographers / armorsmiths (I think we have the best one possible already) / toolsmiths (again, we have a pretty good one) / etc.

(The one thing I want to avoid is growing the village much bigger, radius-wise, to avoid conflict with the iron farm to the north. But you could probably add doors even, as long as the doors are within the existing village space.)

Vrtra Theory on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    If you go exploring end cities, be aware of kind of a nasty bug (https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-83039) that affects v1.12... Basically, as you encounter the city, there is a chance that what should be loot chests ends up being just items laying on the ground. That means you really can't mess around, you need to get to the loot room(s) as fast as possible or risk finding nothing there.

(I think this bug also counts for the "man, some cities just have no loot"... They DID have loot, but it despawned before you could get to it.)

This is super shitty, the only real strategy I can think of is to start by flying into the city and landing right on top of the closest loot room, ninja in and out as quick as possible, and try to pearl to the others before the loot is gone. Just thought I'd give a heads up.

EDIT: Note that this bug only affects those rooms with the treasure chest and enderchest next to each other, near a ladder. I don't think it affects the rooms at the top of the vertical tunnel of doom, with the 2 chests, and it definitely doesn't affect the Ship (the wings, 2 chests, and dragon head are guaranteed).

Vrtra Theory on