As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]sploitation

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    So is receipt checking a routine thing in 'murica? Anecdotally, I have never been asked to show a receipt ever.

Like, I have set alarms off before, and shrugged at the security guard and he waved me away, is how little fucks the UK seems to give over potential shoplifters.

I have been waved out of more stores in this fashion than I have had to have receipts checked

don't think I've ever seen a guard in a retail store tho

unless you count walmart greeters

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Costco doesn't have a reasonable belief. Not really. Sometimes that line to check receipts gets backed up worse than the god damned line to get checked out. I've WANTED to blow past everyone before countless times. It's infuriating sometimes.

You walk out of Costco with nothing in your hands and they won't ask you for your receipt nor will they detain you because there is no reasonable belief.

You walk out of Costco with a cart of merchandise and refuse to show your receipt. I'd bet money they have reasonable belief/probable cause.

That sounds dickish to assume I'm a thief without seeing me steal or set off the shoplifting alarms. I won't shop at Costco.

The thing is emnmnme, if you exit any department store with a cart of merchandise and the security guards don't see you go through a register, they'll probably assume you're a thief.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    One time when I was young my dog ran into the road and got hit by a car and they sued my parents because it cracked their bumper.

this is horrible

where did this happen?

In NH when I was like 12 or 13. We lived in the middle of nowhere and I don't remember if there were any leash laws or not, so our dog was outside. I think my little sister was getting home from school or something and the dog was excited to see her and ran into the road.

it would have taken a whole lot of forebearance not to just set the dude's car on fire or something

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Sam's IS walmart and receipt checks. But wal-mart does too. I HAVE walked past the wal-mart receipt checker.

Old Hag SAW me check out. SAW my empty buggy. SAW it be filled with scanned goods by the checker. Fuck you, lady.

I got a "Sir......Sir...."

And that's it

damn right you didn't stop me

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    One time when I was young my dog ran into the road and got hit by a car and they sued my parents because it cracked their bumper.

not to be terrible, but to be terrible, apart from being kind of a twattish thing to do I don't see how they were in the wrong about that

EDIT: "Kind of a" is a sarcastic understatement, here.

Pet insurance (here, at least) usually has a public liability component for precisely this reason

Although interestingly enough only usually for dogs, as it is generally accepted that a dog should be under its owner's control in a way that other animals are not expected to be

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    will play FFXIV

it is a little less casual and dress uppy than GW2, which are big points against it

but it makes up for it by being a much better game in every other department

i am on strike against anything from japan

sry james i am hardline anti-weeb these days

this world is frayed, its iniquities manifold, all light blinding, confusing

he hates the weeb, but the weeb orders his day, the weeb and the weeb like

in absence of them, hatred for weeb grows stronger

a hate that hurts no one because the hated do not exist, and the hatred does not exist, not really

it is just the way we order ourselves, love does not bring us together any more

there is no other, no us. we're all alone. except for sephirothguy538, he's going to run a dungeon with me later today maybe if he doesn't have too much homework and his mom lets him on the pc

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    So is receipt checking a routine thing in 'murica? Anecdotally, I have never been asked to show a receipt ever.

Like, I have set alarms off before, and shrugged at the security guard and he waved me away, is how little fucks the UK seems to give over potential shoplifters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf_WiEb9Qs

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Sam's IS walmart and receipt checks. But wal-mart does too. I HAVE walked past the wal-mart receipt checker.

Old Hag SAW me check out. SAW my empty buggy. SAW it be filled with scanned goods by the checker. Fuck you, lady.

And that's it

Point of difference. At Wal-Mart you have not consented to showing your receipt as a condition for you being on their property.

• Options

Cash and Carry type places usually do it. Builder's Merchants, too.

Costco over here does, as do Makro.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I should probably get a costco or sam's club membership, they are both kinda on my commute home.

i have a costco membership

i don't go all that often because it's in everett and that means driving (strike one) and the only way to get there is to go through the worst traffic circle in the boston metro (strike 2).

but they have honestly the best value in butchering in the city. great meat, reasonable prices
    Chanus wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I should probably get a costco or sam's club membership, they are both kinda on my commute home.

remember that sam's is walmart and thus an embodiment of pure evil

But the savings, Chanus ...

Costco is tempting, haven't actually been in one since it's across the street from the Sam's Club and the Sam's Club used to be slightly easier to get into parking wise but that is no longer the case due to construction.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/131.655
    Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person may be detained in a reasonable manner and for a reasonable time by:
    A merchant or merchants employee who has probable cause for believing that the person has committed theft of property of a store or other mercantile establishment; or
    all the cases I have quickly googled seem to have ruled in favor of whoever claims wrongful arrest

so it looks like it's hard as fuck to prove that you actually have probably cause!!

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Has brad Pitt ever played a villain

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

And that's it

: /

Bypassing an internal control and making an old lady feel powerless.

Boo-urns.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Costco doesn't have a reasonable belief. Not really. Sometimes that line to check receipts gets backed up worse than the god damned line to get checked out. I've WANTED to blow past everyone before countless times. It's infuriating sometimes.

You walk out of Costco with nothing in your hands and they won't ask you for your receipt nor will they detain you because there is no reasonable belief.

You walk out of Costco with a cart of merchandise and refuse to show your receipt. I'd bet money they have reasonable belief/probable cause.

That sounds dickish to assume I'm a thief without seeing me steal or set off the shoplifting alarms. I won't shop at Costco.

The thing is emnmnme, if you exit any department store with a cart of merchandise and the security guards don't see you go through a register, they'll probably assume you're a thief.

Oooh, so now they're uniformed security guards and not receipt checkers. And they saw me not pay for my cartload of stuff. Well then!

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Other than (do I really have to spoil this)
    fight club
    but even then I don't think it really counts

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    used to be the video rental store's tags would set off the alarm at the kroger next door to it

so people would steal stuff and walk out and when the alarm went off just wave their movies in the air like omg i know these movies right so annoying for you i bet

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

this is horrible

where did this happen?

In NH when I was like 12 or 13. We lived in the middle of nowhere and I don't remember if there were any leash laws or not, so our dog was outside. I think my little sister was getting home from school or something and the dog was excited to see her and ran into the road.

it would have taken a whole lot of forebearance not to just set the dude's car on fire or something

My dad was exceedingly not pleased. The driver, who I should was a woman, was all pleasant on the spot. Then later on that night she called or left a voicemail about how our dog should be on a leash and she's lucky to be alive and she's reported the damage to the insurance company blah blah blah.

• Options
    god damn that intro to trainspotting

danny boyle such promise.

like, he's had a pretty good career but honestly i don't think he'll ever match the vitality of trainspotting

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't think destruction of property is in the same league as rape but they're both wrong

well, to be fair, i don't think receipt checking is wrong

i do think spying on me in my own home through a webcam is wrong

What about spying on what you're doing with the leased product instead?

This is the only real parallel I can draw because you're "still in the store" even though it's your property in the cart, without going into crazy federal government spying on you territory. "If you're innocent, why are you so worried about my invading your privacy looking for wrong doing" kind of vibe.

To be honest, there's no reason checkout can't be doing this shit. Receipt checker's are superfluous to this process. Don't let people out the in door, do a cursory glance as they go out. Hell, get some red stickers and slap them on products so you know this person has at least stopped by checkout. That way they can be doing the "you bought all this stuff" motion without needing staff to do receipt inspections.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Cash and Carry type places usually do it. Builder's Merchants, too.

Costco over here does, as do Makro.

OH I've been to Makro

that place is magical

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Meet Joe Black? Mr. and Mrs. Smith?

• Options
    god damn that intro to trainspotting

danny boyle such promise.

like, he's had a pretty good career but honestly i don't think he'll ever match the vitality of trainspotting

127 hours was pretty damn good

One of those movies I wanted to hate a lot but when I saw it had to admit this is very well done

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

And that's it

: /

Bypassing an internal control and making an old lady feel powerless.

Boo-urns.

Look at me, I am taking out my eyeballs and rolling them across the floor

I still don't think that's enough. They pick and choose who they check anyway and there was no reason to check me as I was almost directly in front of her. Also, she was like 40. I sure as hell don't like your tone that I bullied someone or intimidated them by WALKING BY and pretending not to hear.

And THEIR internal controls are most certainly not MY problem.

• Options

that newish movie with fassbender that got horrible reviews

also arguably tyler durden

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't think destruction of property is in the same league as rape but they're both wrong

well, to be fair, i don't think receipt checking is wrong

i do think spying on me in my own home through a webcam is wrong

What about spying on what you're doing with the leased product instead?

This is the only real parallel I can draw because you're "still in the store" even though it's your property in the cart, without going into crazy federal government spying on you territory. "If you're innocent, why are you so worried about my invading your privacy looking for wrong doing" kind of vibe.

To be honest, there's no reason checkout can't be doing this shit. Receipt checker's are superfluous to this process. Don't let people out the in door, do a cursory glance as they go out. Hell, get some red stickers and slap them on products so you know this person has at least stopped by checkout. That way they can be doing the "you bought all this stuff" motion without needing staff to do receipt inspections.

it's really not the same thing

leasing a product does not mean i sign away my right to privacy to the company i'm leasing from

does your landlord have a right to put cameras in your apartment since you're only leasing from them?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

this is horrible

where did this happen?

My dad was exceedingly not pleased. The driver, who I should was a woman, was all pleasant on the spot. Then later on that night she called or left a voicemail about how our dog should be on a leash and she's lucky to be alive and she's reported the damage to the insurance company blah blah blah.

Had a chance to think about it. Or talk to some asshole friend with bad advice.

• Options

also arguably tyler durden

12 years a slave??

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

not to be terrible, but to be terrible, apart from being kind of a twattish thing to do I don't see how they were in the wrong about that

EDIT: "Kind of a" is a sarcastic understatement, here.

Pet insurance (here, at least) usually has a public liability component for precisely this reason

Although interestingly enough only usually for dogs, as it is generally accepted that a dog should be under its owner's control in a way that other animals are not expected to be

yeah that was my thinking.

Although it did just occur to me that the driver could possibly get in hot water for traffic law reasons, under our laws, at least

you're supposed to drive in a way that makes you able to stop for things that run into the road, see, kids, for example

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    now, if i leased a laptop with a webcam and the contract for leasing it specifically stated they could use the webcam to ensure i wasn't doing anything illegal

and i was dumb enough to actually sign that contract

what would be my defense if they do what they said they would do as per our agreement?

• Options
    edited September 2014

Oooh, so now they're uniformed security guards and not receipt checkers. And they saw me not pay for my cartload of stuff. Well then!

<sigh> I'm just saying in terms of any department store with a uniformed security guard, not Costco. Is it dickish for a security guard to assume you're a thief without actually seeing you steal and only seeing you push a cart through the doors without going through a register? Yes, it's totally dickish, but they still have probable cause/reasonable belief.

DoctorArch on
  • Options

12 years a slave?

• Options
    damn it jake i was typing

• Options
  • Options

Meet Joe Black? Mr. and Mrs. Smith?

I never saw meet joe black but I didn't get the intention he was meant to be villainous? Could easily be wrong though. Mr and mrs smith I thought you were supposed to be rooting for both smiths to just get along and fuck already

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

Do those goalposts hurt from moving them?

You tell me.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

And that's it

So the door checker is looking for sweethearting. So your buddy is working as a clerk and checks you out. He rings up a bunch of your items and the big ass TV you brought up. Then voids the big ass TV. The door checker has seen you be ringed up but he has no way to see what was voided. So they check the receipt against what you have. Your receipt shows the big ass TV as voided and yet there it is in your cart. That's the kind of shoplifting it tries to prevent.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    The two that busted me at Target when I was a kid were like really hardcore about it. Grabbed me up and pulled me into the security room. When my grandparents called looking for me over the PA, they came up with this plan to distract them at the snack bar till the cops arrived just in case they were the heads of some adolescent thief ring. It was a pretty crazy experience.

God, I was such a dumb little fuck to do that.

I shoplifted a lot of baseball cards when I was little

then when I got older I tried to shoplift a porno magazine once and got detained

this was at the military base and then my parents had to come to the little surveillance room and like, bail me out

so mortifying

then I got grounded for like 3 months I think

• Options
    damn it jake i was typing

These quick phone tappin thumbs finally good for something

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

this is horrible

where did this happen?

fucking new hampshire

it's everything terrible about new england distilled into a little state

like, take the new england ethos

peel away the generosity and equanimity and progressiveness and brotherhood

distill down the self-interest and meanness and cheapness and isolation and suspicion

new hampshire!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

this is horrible

where did this happen?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.