Options

Let's punch people in the [Character Action Game] thread!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Chinch why is mordor coming out right after destiny and d4 and right before persona ultimac and smah bros

I'm interested in it but I'm more interested in all of those!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Why did you do this to me chincy

why

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    It always just seemed like press y to counter when the guy comes out of the crowd

My memory might be failing but I don't remember doing stylish shit like aerial combos and juggles or just parrys

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Oh man an action have thread guess it's time to replay DMC3.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    Can I talk about shadow of mordor in here

Please

I need this

why.... why would anyone want to talk about that game?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Every once in a while I look at my Wii U and PC and realize that I have all the essential CAG coverage I need for the next few years and it feels real weird to be thinking that without a Playstation

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    W101 tombstone is the best cag move btw

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    It always just seemed like press y to counter when the guy comes out of the crowd

My memory might be failing but I don't remember doing stylish shit like aerial combos and juggles or just parrys

Doing well score-wise involves integrating every bat gadget into your combo, and maintaining a combo through the entire fight through clever use of dodging and attacking

There's a lot of depth to it but it's a lot more about managing a large crowd of simple enemies, as opposed to a small crowd of difficult enemies

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

That's only in easier combats

In the later games you have to manage like 8 different enemy types all in one combat, each of which requires different attacks to take down and has a different method of dodging

Getting gold in the harder challenge rooms was significantly harder than like, son of sparda mode in the recent dmc.

Not as hard as Dante must die tho

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    W101 tombstone is the best cag move btw

There's something to be said for UNITE PUDDING as your block, though

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Chinch why is mordor coming out right after destiny and d4 and right before persona ultimac and smah bros

I'm interested in it but I'm more interested in all of those!

Let me help

Destiny is bad, d4 takes a day to finish and smash and ultimax fill up your multiplayer time slot but not your single player

If you like destiny, fine, but mordor is still the only single player game on the list. Play it during downtime when you're relaxing or don't want to talk to people.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Yeah but 4 games is already stretchin my budget in terms of time AND money, 5 games is right out

• Options
    Why did you do this to me chincy

why

Because you never called me after that special night

• Options
    Chinchilla snacks...

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I dunno

If it is anything like regular p4a, then ultimax will have a pretty beefy single player in terms of time spent playing.

I mean, you're just reading a whole bunch, but it is still single player.

• Options
    Also: Destiny rules, and corralarilly, Chincy drools

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I think its the shapes things I don't like about w101

most of it's mechanics really

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah but 4 games is already stretchin my budget in terms of time AND money, 5 games is right out

Are you really going to play two fighting games and destiny simultaneously

Like actually asking

• Options
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Can I talk about shadow of mordor in here

Please

I need this

why.... why would anyone want to talk about that game?

Because it looks fantastic and is my most anticipated game of the year

• Options

Like actually asking

I mean I'm playing destiny a ton right now and will probably slow down once p4u hits and then smash bros will basically be my Everythjng

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    All the orc clan stuff sounds legitimately amazing but I just don't love batman combat.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I really wouldn't mind a Darksiders 3.

• Options
    One thing I also like about Wonderful 101 is how relentlessly positive it is with regards to saving the world

Like, you gotta be a cool bad-ass ass-kicker to be a member of a sentai team

And even in Pacific Rim you get a big leg-up if you have a twin and you're really good at fighting

But in Wonderful 101 the thing that matters most is that you're good, and you have courage, and you want to save the world. So you get all these different sorts of people, like Wonder Beer, who's a brewery manager that weighs 350 pounds, is the shape of a bowling ball, and likes to drink alien invaders under the table. But he's a member of the 100 because he really believes in the cause, and he's good, and he's willing to put his life on the line to protect his home and the people he loves.

And the game lampoons typical CAG weirdness so readily I can't help but smile at it, even if it's a smile that's mixed with trepidation

Immorta's title card scene is probably the best example of that - slow rotating pan up with focus on her skin-tight pants and the hand on her hip, only her proportions are already kind of weird and it finishes the climb up her body and pulls back and she has an ABSOLUTELY ENORMOUS HEAD exactly like the rest of the cast, made even more severe because she's wearing a giant honking space cop helmet so that her noggin' makes up more than half her silhouette

I laugh every time I see that sequence

God, what a fun, silly game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Brolo wrote: »

dark siders 3 as one of whatever the other two are would be great

finally get the resolution to whatever the fuck it was that actually happened as a result of all that stabbing I did

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

dark siders 3 as one of whatever the other two are would be great

finally get the resolution to whatever the fuck it was that actually happened as a result of all that stabbing I did

Yeah. Unfortunately because of the the stuff in not sure we will ever get one. I am not sure if the vigil guys are even still together

• Options

Like actually asking

I mean I'm playing destiny a ton right now and will probably slow down once p4u hits and then smash bros will basically be my Everythjng

Fair enough

I will try not to spoil you on the cool ways I have jumped off a possessed warg while shooting a magic spirit bow at 5 Orcs and then teleporting to the cheiftain and stabbing him in his face

Are you gonna get smash for wiiu, I want to play with you

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    This is a good thread! This is basically my favorite genre of game even though I have trouble being good enough, the challenge and exhilaration of just owning a string of encounters and controlling every tiny movement and blowing apart enemies with ease from hard-won skill just feels perfect to me.

I just recently finished replaying DMC 4 and the skill ceiling on that game is absolutely bonkers. As much as I hated that second-last boss rush dice game bullshit mission it felt incredible to pound Berial, Bael, and Echidna into the ground(and even more satisfying to whip them into shape with Dante in the higher difficulties)

Now I've been mucking around on Bayonetta to pass the time (I should buy Wonderful101) and everything is so perfect. Whips and ice skates and swords and rocket launchers... it's fucking amazing.

Can't wait for Bayonetta 2. Going slightly insane.

• Options

Like actually asking

Fair enough

I will try not to spoil you on the cool ways I have jumped off a possessed warg while shooting a magic spirit bow at 5 Orcs and then teleporting to the cheiftain and stabbing him in his face

Chincy smash 3ds is nothing but methadone to tide me over until smash wii u

• Options

Like actually asking

Fair enough

Chincy smash 3ds is nothing but methadone to tide me over until smash wii u

Yaaay

I really can't stand the 3ds controls

Anyway cags

Some of the movement stuff in mordor looks really exciting

The one thing batman never really did was incorporate traversal into the combat

It looks like a bunch of your traversal methods like invisibility, teleporting, and wargs will get used in combos

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i've seen 'spectacle brawler' used as alternative to character action

i think i like that term better

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i love the first two team ninja ninja gaiden games

i have bought them both so many times

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    i love the first two team ninja ninja gaiden games

i have bought them both so many times

Those games are great

They're sort of hard to go back to now, primarily because of the camera

Exploding shirukens from the guy you couldn't see

Sooooo many deaths

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C43yJxw14ys

Some combat from mordor

I friggin love how the ghost moves look

and how savage the combat seems

He ambushes a group of 5 dudes and kills all of them before they get off an alarm

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Wait, did @Wyborn say Ninja Gaiden wasn't a character action game? This thread descended into madness in under a page.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I think an easy way to decide if a game is a CAG or not is to ask the question "are there ridiculous combo videos of this on the internet somewhere". Is the combat in-depth and expansive enough that there's room for invention and doing insane shit.

I love the hell out of Batman and played a shitload of the combat challenges but I would in no way consider it character action. It's an action adventure game that just happens to have really, really good combat.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Is Remember Me a CAG? I'm playing that and really digging it. The customizable combos are fun, but really what sells it is the art and sound.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno

If it is anything like regular p4a, then ultimax will have a pretty beefy single player in terms of time spent playing.

I mean, you're just reading a whole bunch, but it is still single player.

ah yes persona 4 arena, the visual novel with a fighting minigame

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I think an easy way to decide if a game is a CAG or not is to ask the question "are there ridiculous combo videos of this on the internet somewhere". Is the combat in-depth and expansive enough that there's room for invention and doing insane shit.

I love the hell out of Batman and played a shitload of the combat challenges but I would in no way consider it character action. It's an action adventure game that just happens to have really, really good combat.

There are 700 hit combo videos

I'm not saying its exactly the same kind of cag, but it requires a lot of the same reflexes, quick thinking, and knowledge

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    DeMoN wrote: »

There are 700 hit combo videos

I'm not saying its exactly the same kind of cag, but it requires a lot of the same reflexes, quick thinking, and knowledge

Indeed. I feel like making this the, "Juggling in the air thread" is kind of a narrow definition.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Batman and DMC have some common DNA but they really don't play the same at all

Genres are inherently super fuzzy, but I don't think most people would watch Arkham asylum and then watch batman and say "these are the same kind if game"