The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DZC] Dropzone Commander 1.1 - Dropfleet Commander is Out!

• canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Must still be regional. I noted a few places online had them available, but mostly it's preorders. The starters have been available in Canada, but that's it. I'll see what crops up in distribution.

[Edit]
    Excellent, we can order them. Half price is definitely the price I want to pay for $55 miniatures. I'm floored that's the approximate Canadian MSRP for the battleships ...

Where please?

I'm tempted to buy just to build and paint and that is a good price point.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    canuckont wrote: »
    Must still be regional. I noted a few places online had them available, but mostly it's preorders. The starters have been available in Canada, but that's it. I'll see what crops up in distribution.

[Edit]
    Excellent, we can order them. Half price is definitely the price I want to pay for $55 miniatures. I'm floored that's the approximate Canadian MSRP for the battleships ...

Where please?

I'm tempted to buy just to build and paint and that is a good price point.

Special order. I work at a board game cafe, but because it's all the same distributors we can special order miniatures stuff for ourselves if we want. Sorry, my original wording was definitely poor. :(

Don't happen to work at one in Hamilton do you :p

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
    Ah well there's always a chance, I've never met a real Internet person...a man can dream.

The models for DFC look real Purdy. I think I'm might by them, make two fleets and play my dad.

ArcticLancer
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    The two player starter is really good value if you're just dipping your toes in. Considering you'll need a rulebook and tokens anyway, you're getting the 2nd starter fleet at a hefty discount.

Things my Red Terror has Swallowed Whole: A Mentors Librarian, a Fire Warrior Sash'Ui. Total Points: 109 (so far...)
    "Leapin' and Hoppin' on a Warpshadow" - Mah Nids
    The Swordwind Rises! - Biel Tan. All Aspects. All the time.
    "Before seeking Victory, first make yourself Invulnerable to defeat" - Sneaky sneaky Raptors
    Nobody
    Built a second PHR cruiser tonight (the Theseus for the starter) and it went together much, much better than the first. I think, honestly, a part of that has to be disregarding the assembly instructions. Start with the middle fins and attach the bottom, then top. When you start with the bottom it gets hard to place the middle ones, and very easy to knock off the ones you have already placed. I did still pin the bottom fins as I just don't find there's enough surface there for a reassuring connection, mind you.

Thoughts on what I should make the spare cruiser into? Honestly, I'm probably going to try selling the PHR stuff once I get it painted, so anything that would look flashy or be useful is ideal. :P

Troopship? PHR Troops ships seem really good. Both varients.

Things my Red Terror has Swallowed Whole: A Mentors Librarian, a Fire Warrior Sash'Ui. Total Points: 109 (so far...)
    "Before seeking Victory, first make yourself Invulnerable to defeat" - Sneaky sneaky Raptors
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Yeah generally at high point levels two troopships become mandatory.

Mm, noted.
    The alternative, now that I think of it, is that I could buy a cruiser box when it comes out and use the bonus cruiser + frigate stuff from the commodore to have a second starter. Hardly that interesting, but like ... it's fun to be able to try two different paint schemes? Of course, if I can find a buyer to begin with, they'll probably buy extra ships too, so I might be hurting myself trying to move two. Hmmm ...

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    Well, might be playing first game tommorow.

My initial review of the starter set is:

1) It would've being absolutely worth the money to make the scourge and UCM plastic different shades so it's better visually distinguished for your first unpainted game.

2) Similarly would it have killed them to make the turn/front arc notches more visible on the bases?

3) Oh my god the sticker sheet is a piece of shit.

edited January 18
    ... That feeling when you realize the test model you painted has the wrong guns on it and it's PHR so you really can't fix it. >_<
    I'm pretty sure it's not a big deal, right? Ship configurations are pretty well known and a random Ikarus with small calibre batteries instead of medium isn't exactly a huge issue. ...

ArcticLancer on
    I fucked up the guns on my Theseus. But hey, its the only Light Cruiser and no one but me has noticed anyway. I don't think its a big deal unless you've build another class by mistake.

ArcticLancer
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Registered User regular
    I don't think anybody is really going to care all that much. As long as it's the right size hull, I can't think of any reasonable scenario where somebody will give you crap for it.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I have to admit I haven't put together my starter kit stuff yet, I'm having a similarly tough time deciding what to build with the sprues I have

Lord_Asmodeus.gifLord_Asmodeus2.gif
    I did a group order for the web exclusive Light Cruiser with a few friends and boy these are pretty. Then they announce the event exclusive OTHER light criser. Boo Hawk boo :P

I went in on 3 of the Saratogas (and ordered a pack of Santiagos while I was at it).

I'll have trouble justifying the Athens though, especially since I don't see myself using Osakas normally.

I got 2 Saratogas because I canthink really see myself running a squadron of 3 light cruisers.

I've got mad hankering to do some painting, I've got a 1500 point list written that I'm keen to try, but I've just moved and don't have any painting stuff set up yet.

List is as follows if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.

1500pts
    UCM - 12 launch assets

SR17 Flag battlegroup (324pts)
    1 x New York - 260pts - S
       + UCM Captain (20pts, 2AV)
    2 x Jakarta - 64pts - L

SR12 Line battlegroup (307pts)
    1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR10 Line battlegroup (176pts)
    2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M

SR9 Pathfinder battlegroup (300pts)
    6 x Taipei - 234pts - L
    3 x Santiago - 66pts - L

SR3 Pathfinder battlegroup (66pts)
    3 x Santiago - 66pts - L
    dflist.com

I should also get back to painting it. I was really hoping I could power through some of the starter fleets to try and sell them, but man ... apparently PHR was the wrong faction to start with. The exposed metal requires a different colour, and it just takes a while to paint all that in by hand after doing the armor. Add in all the little pulse engine bits and it's actually a lot of work for one cruiser. :/
    I also had no confidence in myself to paint my own UCM quickly, so I was using this as practice. Maybe I should really kick myself in the butt to do them and then follow up with Shaltari ...

Also, the Saratoga is bitchin and I didn't buy one because I was being too rational. If anyone picked up an extra I'd be happy to try and trade you for it~

Asher wrote: »
    I got 2 Saratogas because I canthink really see myself running a squadron of 3 light cruisers.

I've got mad hankering to do some painting, I've got a 1500 point list written that I'm keen to try, but I've just moved and don't have any painting stuff set up yet.

List is as follows if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.

1500pts
    UCM - 12 launch assets

SR17 Flag battlegroup (324pts)
    1 x New York - 260pts - S
       + UCM Captain (20pts, 2AV)
    2 x Jakarta - 64pts - L

1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR10 Line battlegroup (176pts)
    2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M

SR9 Pathfinder battlegroup (300pts)
    6 x Taipei - 234pts - L
    3 x Santiago - 66pts - L

SR3 Pathfinder battlegroup (66pts)
    3 x Santiago - 66pts - L
    dflist.com

Your Santiagos should all be in the same group, 3 Santiagos have trouble killing most other Corvettes that they'll encounter in the atmosphere.

Not sure the Jakartas are needed if you have so many launch assets, I'd almost want to swap them for a Lima for your Saratogas and upgrade your Captain.

/dusts off thread

Hawk just announced 2nd edition of Dropzone Commander will be hitting in Q4. They are looking at doing some rebalancing and new model releases along with it. Phase 1 & 2 will not be included but there will be errata PDFs to bring them up to the current edition.

Draeven
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    yeah, flyers sound like they wont take up a slot in your list but eat up points for runs if you will.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

BoW vid with more details:

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, are there any ships that I should definitely 100% be building besides the necessary ones for the Scourge and UCM, or is it a pretty open field at this point and I should just build the ships that I like?

UCM generally goes with a squadron of 2-3 New Cairos with a Lima (or Jakarta). Some folks like Seattle heavy builds too.

Really, there's no confirmed "right" answer yet because UCM hasn't really been burning up the tournament scene.

Scourge likes Djinns definitely, and a couple of Chimeras, but I'm not as familiar with their builds. I've heard double Hydra can be fun though.

So I'm finally putting my stuff together using the suggested fleet build guide that comes with the starter thing because I overlooked it for like a year. The closest thing I've played to this before is Battlefleet Gothic, and personally I have a Chaos fleet. Do the factions in this game align generally to the BFG mold they seem to fill (UCM-Imperium, Scourge-Chaos, Shaltari-Eldar etc.) or do they diverge from that model? I'm trying to decide what fleet I want to focus on, though my brother has already gravitated towards the UCM.

ehhhh, not really? Going off of memory (it's been a looooooong time since I've read the BFG rulebook):

UCM only has one Torpedo ship (and it's a battleship) and there's nothing in game currently like the Nova Cannon. Instead they have to balance turreted weapons and BTLs (burn through lasers).

Scourge tends to be stealthy and has weapons that worsen armor saves, maybe Dark Eldar is closer? But they have access to the full range of ships.

Shaltari is probably close to Eldar, they can get invulnerable saves on their ships, and they can teleport ground troops around.

PHR is tanky, and uses a lot of broadsides.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Registered User regular
    Just pick the ships you think look the coolest.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Nobody
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Chaos ships were (slightly) faster than Imperial ones (other than the slow-ass Repulsive) and tended to have more long range lance weapons.
    The Imperium had prow torps, but the other core elements were the higher armor on the prow and heaps of broadsides.
    Eldar were speedy but fragile.
    Tyranids wanted to get in close and board or eat your ships.
    Orks were... Orks. Probably nothing like anything in DFC.

Not sure how any of that lines up against the DFC races.

Thanks! I just remembered Imperial was all about the nova cannon and the prows, Chaos loved batteries, Necrons were cheaty as all hell, Space Marines were super weak if you ran them as a pure force, and Tyranids were even cheatier.

Imperial is probably closest to PHR

Chaos is closer to UCM

Shaltari is pretty much like nothing up there. Kinda Eldar but not really.

Scourge doesn't really fit with any of those either.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited October 19
    If anyone has Texa$ that they want to get rid of, the Avenger, their 10mm scale build of a UCMS strike carrier, is for sale. Free delivery in Europe!

Edit: And it comes with rules for DFC, so it's totally legal as long as your playing a 100,001 point game.

daveNYC on
  • EchoEcho Where da waaagh at? Moderator mod
    I don't think my apartment is big enough for it.

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    How much time would you guys say is needed from opening the box to being able to play the first game of Dropfleet? It's a bunch of models to glue yes? Do they require much thought and preparation if you go with the recommendations?

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    So however long it'd take you to put them together really. There is a bit of prep (cleaning nubs from the sprues, and the UCM cruiser "top" is a weird fit). I got mine put together in an afternoon.

Cheers. I was tempted to pick it up to play with a friend after work, but it seems like it would be hard to do.

Probably I will realise how little time I have and how much unpainted/unplayed stuff I have...

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mago wrote: »
    How much time would you guys say is needed from opening the box to being able to play the first game of Dropfleet? It's a bunch of models to glue yes? Do they require much thought and preparation if you go with the recommendations?

The ships aren't bad to put together. Given the scale, mold lines don't require cleaning nearly so meticulous as you would do for 28mm army mans.

I'd say the longest bit will be getting a grasp on the rules. You will screw up a lot because they, like DZC's rules before them, are worded and arranged very poorly.

It's a great game though, that I don't play nearly enough. It had the misfortune to be delivered right before I bought a new house so everything's still sitting in my garage.

PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean Battle.net Drkeenbean#1951
    I'd say the longest bit will be getting a grasp on the rules. You will screw up a lot because they, like DZC's rules before them, are worded and arranged very poorly.

It's a great game though, that I don't play nearly enough. It had the misfortune to be delivered right before I bought a new house so everything's still sitting in my garage.

Yeah, it's a shame when rulebooks are like that. I feel like Cutlass! is the same, a good system that is just presented rather poorly. (Not that I have played it a lot).

What are the differences between Dropfleet and Dropzone? In feel, playtime and complexity? Is it down to if you like tanks or spaceships more?

Dropfleet is a bit more complex IMO, mostly due to figuring out ranges (your signature + spikes are x, my scan is y, so that's my range) and figuring out the ground combat game.

It also takes a bit longer to play. Standard tournament size is 1250 compared to Dropzone's 1500 to give you an idea.

edited October 19
    So I have an extra frigate and cruiser sprue for the UCM and Scourge (as well as a single cruiser and frigate sprue for the Shaltari and PHR) and I'm not sure what to do with them. My brother seems interested in the UCM so I've yet to make more than the four standard frigates with that, but with the Scourge I've made a Basilisk, a Raiju, a Sphinx and a Wyvern. I've also made two Harpies and two Gargoyles as per the standard, so I can make two more frigates and one more cruiser. Should I make a couple of Djinn, two more Harpies, another Harpy and another Gargoyle? And should I go for a Fleet Carrier, or a Troopship or maybe a Light Cruiser? I've watched the game played a few times but I don't really know how I should be expanding my fleet outside of the basic setup.

Edit: Oh and should I just be making a Mothership with my Shaltari sprue? Or should I just make a regular/battlecruiser and do skirmish stuff with if or until I get more Shaltari stuff?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Can't really speak to the Scourge too much, but Shaltari typically build towards 3-4 Motherships at tournament levels. May way to spend some time learning the game before you start expanding out too much so you can get a chance to figure out the playstyle that appeals to you.