Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Taking [Chat] to the [Chat]less Until Death: Judge Minty

134689100

Posts

  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Like just to clarify I absolutely would like to expand my library
    I just don't trust that you guys are not telling me to read 50 shades of grey in space

    Try Dune, Catch 22, Salughterhouse Five, Starship Dominatrix 3

    Slaughterhouse 5 may go a little over his head

    Heartily recommend Starship Dominatrix 3, classical literature at its finest

    i read a lot of Vonnegut at 16-17. Some of it went over my head, but that was OK.

    I really think it is important to read stuff you don't quite get. It really helps you improve and eventually start to get that stuff.

    Hakkekagejakobagger
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Like just to clarify I absolutely would like to expand my library
    I just don't trust that you guys are not telling me to read 50 shades of grey in space

    Try Dune, Catch 22, Salughterhouse Five, Starship Dominatrix 3

    Slaughterhouse 5 may go a little over his head

    Heartily recommend Starship Dominatrix 3, classical literature at its finest

    i read a lot of Vonnegut at 16-17. Some of it went over my head, but that was OK.

    I really think it is important to read stuff you don't quite get. It really helps you improve and eventually start to get that stuff.

    There is also an amateur picture of a butthole in breakfast of champions too which is a treat

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Irond Will
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Vonnegut would be good, Sophie's World is good for a teenager, American Gods is good, The Culture books are fantastic. Try the Lies of Locke Lamora.

    HakkekageMsAnthropyjakobagger
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Like just to clarify I absolutely would like to expand my library
    I just don't trust that you guys are not telling me to read 50 shades of grey in space

    Try Dune, Catch 22, Salughterhouse Five, Starship Dominatrix 3

    Slaughterhouse 5 may go a little over his head

    Heartily recommend Starship Dominatrix 3, classical literature at its finest

    i read a lot of Vonnegut at 16-17. Some of it went over my head, but that was OK.

    I really think it is important to read stuff you don't quite get. It really helps you improve and eventually start to get that stuff.

    yes I'm not saying don't read Slaughterhouse Five

    though I only read it relatively recently

    but also read stuff that is sure to be enjoyable

    Read Good Omens it is DA BEST

    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    DevoutlyApatheticRhesus Positive
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    fwiw I despised Earthsea

    I'm not even sure why, something in me recoiled from it

    I did manage to finish it though

    aRkpc.gif
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Cb, you are a goddamn national treasure.

  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    fwiw I despised Earthsea

    I'm not even sure why, something in me recoiled from it

    I did manage to finish it though

    is it because all the good guys are brown and white people are the savages

    huh

    ronya

    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    VanguardDelmainRear Admiral Chocojakobagger
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    hey nerds

    how is it going

    Gethsurrealitycheck
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Would the erotic poems of e.e. cummings be too much?

  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess if I wanted to wean someone off tie-in fiction and on to the good stuff but keep it within the same genre I'd try and get them reading the Vorkosigan books. They're highly readable, relatively slim, intelligent, character driven and funny SF adventures, but they stay accessible along with all that.

    MsAnthropyjakobagger
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I think the benefit to Vonnegut is that it registers as profound even when you're pretty young. I can't imagine a kid reading Slaughterhouse and not feeling like they got something important out of it.

    y2jake215Irond WillMsAnthropy
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Also read Lord of the Flies before they make you read it in class

    I remember when we had a test in school with an impromptu essay portion and it was basically "analyze this segment" and I wasted a lot of time trying to write euphemisms and finally crossed it all out and went

    Uhhh this is a rape scene

    they're raping a pig

    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Maybe we should just give bad advice.

    Go read Fight Club as a teenager.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    If you pick one Sherlock Holmes story to read, I nominate the Curse of the Speckled Band.

  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    cB, disregard vidja games and literature

    Acquire sports

    Until the day comes when they shut down the NFL because all of the players' brains are being destroyed

    It's a cash cow

    And also enjoyable to watch!

    actually i am heartily regretful that I was disdainful and scared of sports (mostly because gym class is a nightmarish joke) and was afraid to exercise for the first 20 years of my life, because now I enjoy it and wish I had built up a base when i was a teenager and it would have been much easier to build up said base

    I loved gym class

    Like I was never the greatest at most sports

    Except hockey, and we didn't play ice hockey in gym class for obvious reasons

    But we played floor hockey

    And while the typical "jocks" stomped me in the other sports

    With a hard orange ball on the end of my plastic hockey stick, I was a god

    He/Him
    Narwhal, you should make "Sometimes while someone is explaining something to me, I am thinking about rockets" your signature
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Maybe we should just give bad advice.

    Go read Fight Club as a teenager.

    Atlas Shrugged

  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Just
    keep in mind in your suggestions that I am a massive prude

    ikzpt6vtahzi.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    hey nerds

    how is it going

    How you doin'

    And I don't mean Joey Tribbiani how you doin'

    I'm just trying to sound @casual

    He/Him
    Narwhal, you should make "Sometimes while someone is explaining something to me, I am thinking about rockets" your signature
    Casual
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    cB, disregard vidja games and literature

    Acquire sports

    Until the day comes when they shut down the NFL because all of the players' brains are being destroyed

    It's a cash cow

    And also enjoyable to watch!

    actually i am heartily regretful that I was disdainful and scared of sports (mostly because gym class is a nightmarish joke) and was afraid to exercise for the first 20 years of my life, because now I enjoy it and wish I had built up a base when i was a teenager and it would have been much easier to build up said base

    I loved gym class

    Like I was never the greatest at most sports

    Except hockey, and we didn't play ice hockey in gym class for obvious reasons

    But we played floor hockey

    And while the typical "jocks" stomped me in the other sports

    With a hard orange ball on the end of my plastic hockey stick, I was a god

    Canada

    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    BeNarwhal
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    @deebaser i need ingredients and recipe thanks

    1 package of italian sausages links (remove from the case)
    1.5 lubs of beef shoulder steak (cubed)
    1 chopped red chilli pepper (i used whole dried and chopped the shit out of them until they were basically powder)
    1 chopped jalepeno
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 chopped yellow onion
    1 28oz can crushed tomato
    1 tablespoon of cumin
    1 tablespoon of cayenne
    pinch of salt
    a couple turns of the ol' pepper grinder
    1 can kidney beans
    a glass of merlot
    a third of a Bitburger tallboy

    Set it, stir and forget. In the morning I took my cocktail muddler and beat the shit out of it to shread the beef.


    Is good. Perfect amount of spice.

    YOLO. Swag. Whatever. Fuck it. Lets do this.
    Shazkar ShadowstormRear Admiral Choco
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    Douglas Adams is an excellent suggestion, though, as is Pratchett.

    RMS OceanicDevoutlyApatheticWinkyHakkekagedescRhesus PositiveMsAnthropySurfpossumjakobagger
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Just
    keep in mind in your suggestions that I am a massive prude

    The Bloody Murder of the Foul Prince Romero and his Enormously Bossomed Wife

    BogartsurrealitycheckRear Admiral Chocojakobagger
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I want an animal friend

    @BEAST! is too self-aware and hairless to be a suitably devoted and completely dependent companion

    I am quite hairy and rarely pee on the rug

    How much does this gig pay

    this is exactly the type of self awareness I don't want in my pet

    a dog standing over a book about animal sapience, with a growing look of horror

    steam_sig.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Just
    keep in mind in your suggestions that I am a massive prude

    We'll fix that.

    Rear Admiral Choco
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Just
    keep in mind in your suggestions that I am a massive prude

    Sex is a part of literature.

    Like

    Not as an insult, but it's a big part of the human condition.

    RMS OceanicHakkekageVanguardMsAnthropyRear Admiral Chocojakobagger
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Would the erotic poems of e.e. cummings be too much?

    It's important for young people to understand proper lubrication.

  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    fwiw I despised Earthsea

    I'm not even sure why, something in me recoiled from it

    I did manage to finish it though

    is it because all the good guys are brown and white people are the savages

    huh

    ronya

    Don't worry. They made a TV movie where they fixed this.

    Hakkekage
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    cB, disregard vidja games and literature

    Acquire sports

    Until the day comes when they shut down the NFL because all of the players' brains are being destroyed

    It's a cash cow

    And also enjoyable to watch!

    actually i am heartily regretful that I was disdainful and scared of sports (mostly because gym class is a nightmarish joke) and was afraid to exercise for the first 20 years of my life, because now I enjoy it and wish I had built up a base when i was a teenager and it would have been much easier to build up said base

    I loved gym class

    Like I was never the greatest at most sports

    Except hockey, and we didn't play ice hockey in gym class for obvious reasons

    But we played floor hockey

    And while the typical "jocks" stomped me in the other sports

    With a hard orange ball on the end of my plastic hockey stick, I was a god

    Canada

    Fuck I love hockey

    He/Him
    Narwhal, you should make "Sometimes while someone is explaining something to me, I am thinking about rockets" your signature
    Delmain
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    cB, disregard vidja games and literature

    Acquire sports

    Until the day comes when they shut down the NFL because all of the players' brains are being destroyed

    It's a cash cow

    And also enjoyable to watch!

    actually i am heartily regretful that I was disdainful and scared of sports (mostly because gym class is a nightmarish joke) and was afraid to exercise for the first 20 years of my life, because now I enjoy it and wish I had built up a base when i was a teenager and it would have been much easier to build up said base

    i think the thing is not finding a sport i enjoyed for a while

    i still don't think i would enjoy team sports, because i didn't and i doubt i ever really will, they were really a drag (though i was forced to play them for forever, like i played soccer from 4th grade thru 8th at school - and also as a yout, and then basketball in middle school, and then in HS - i went to private school - they also made us do physical things, but i did lol 3rds squash and "physical fitness" to avoid doing real sports)

    i do wish i'd gotten into lifting earlier though - especially in HS, but even earlier in college tho i started in college, because now it is my favorite thing, i fucking love it

    and i found that i loved jiu jitsu when i started senior year of HS, when i had a chance to do an independent elective sport not at school - (which made me regret not doing wrestling in HS)

    and i have always loved snowboarding though my opportunities to do that have varied and it's hard to go enough to get good



    so what i think is important is - even if you do not like sports you should find something physical that you really enjoy and get into because there are all kinds of things
    if not team sports, you can get into hiking, or running, or lifting, or kayaking or alpine sports or rock climbing or martial arts or yadda yadda yadda, you just gotta find the thing you like
    i think this is important

    poo
    HakkekagedescRear Admiral Choco
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Gym class was awesome when they'd just let us play basketball

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    BeNarwhal
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    cB557 wrote: »
    Just
    keep in mind in your suggestions that I am a massive prude

    Everything is a metaphor for sex in great literature cB

    "He put his keys in her bowl" = they boned

    "Her eyes brushed over Mr. Bingley's fine gentleman's cane" = she's going to bone him

    "Resistance spaceships disappeared in a puff of dust as the enemy platoon rained lasers upon them" = orgy

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    CindersWinkyBeNarwhalsurrealitycheckRear Admiral Chocojakobagger
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Also read Lord of the Flies before they make you read it in class

    I remember when we had a test in school with an impromptu essay portion and it was basically "analyze this segment" and I wasted a lot of time trying to write euphemisms and finally crossed it all out and went

    Uhhh this is a rape scene

    they're raping a pig

    Lord of the flies....
    did we watch that with the Rifftrax on?

    YOLO. Swag. Whatever. Fuck it. Lets do this.
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Just
    keep in mind in your suggestions that I am a massive prude

    Everything is a metaphor for sex in great literature cB

    "He put his keys in her bowl" = they boned

    "Her eyes brushed over Mr. Bingley's fine gentleman's cane" = she's going to bone him

    "Resistance spaceships disappeared in a puff of dust as the enemy platoon rained lasers upon them" = orgy

    Like the gay sex scene in Gatsby.

    Hakkekage
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Just
    keep in mind in your suggestions that I am a massive prude

    Everything is a metaphor for sex in great literature cB

    "He put his keys in her bowl" = they boned

    "Her eyes brushed over Mr. Bingley's fine gentleman's cane" = she's going to bone him

    "Resistance spaceships disappeared in a puff of dust as the enemy platoon rained lasers upon them" = orgy

    And you don't want to know what Room 101 represents.

    RMS Oceanic on
    Hakkekage
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, actually just drop everything and read Hitchhiker's Guide.

    We'll wait, it's like 40 pages long.

    cB557HakkekageBeNarwhaldescDiannaoChongelectricitylikesme
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    a platoon implies infantry how are infantry destroying spaceships

    ikzpt6vtahzi.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Gym class was awesome when they'd just let us play basketball

    Basketball was good too, because my school had a good mix of

    Well, it had a good mix of races, is where I'm going with this

    And we were very stereotypical about our positioning in basketball

    Giant European guy at center

    Both forward positions covered by freakishly athletic black dudes

    Their shorter, smaller friend at SG

    And middling white dude who can inexplicably hit every open 3 at Point Guard

    He/Him
    Narwhal, you should make "Sometimes while someone is explaining something to me, I am thinking about rockets" your signature
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm a level 20, no big deal.

    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ursula le groin is the correct spelling

    btw dudes if ur really cool liek me u read COOL BOOX

    obF2Wuw.png
    BogartVanguardjakobagger
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    fwiw I despised Earthsea

    I'm not even sure why, something in me recoiled from it

    I did manage to finish it though

    is it because all the good guys are brown and white people are the savages

    huh

    ronya

    hmm

    no, I don't think that was it. in fact iirc that particular point flew right past me when reading - wikipedia says it was A Wizard of Earthsea, I guess Earthsea is a series. some other review pointed it out to me, a while later, this was years ago

    I think it was the magic system that I found repellent - I guess the author's excessive sense of enjoyment that a completely arbitrary magical system turns out to be working exactly the way she likes (WHAT A SURPRISE!) coming through the text

    aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.