Options

Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension

Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet:Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
edited July 2015 in Games and Technology
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension is a Fantasy 4x strategy game by Illwinter Game Design Company, it was released last year, and has only gotten better since.

In this game you take on the role of a Pretender God. The Pantokrator, the One True God, he who brought order from Chaos, has gone missing. You, as a Pretender God, seek to defeat all other contenders and take his now vacant throne, bringing order to the chaos, and becoming Pantokrator yourself.

The graphics are simple, but in my opinion charming. There's a strategy map and a battle map, everything is in 2d sprites. You do not actually control the battles, rather they are fought by a battle AI, you can give commands to the AI before a battle (telling formations of troops to attack the closest, or to wait and attack the rear, etc. and you can give commanders more complex commands, giving them 5 specific commands and then one generic command to do)

There are a large number of nations, and 3 separate ages to start your game in which determine the nations, most of which will be versions of previous ones as they move and change through history. All nations have access to a number of different Pretender Gods to choose from, though there is overlap between nations of related cultural background (two of the three Norse inspired nations have access to the Allfather in the Early Ages for instance)

The game is also highly moddable, with everything from gameplay balance mods, to single units added to a single nation, to whole new nations created from whole cloth and added into the game. There are also hand drawn maps people have made which you can download, and you can randomly generate maps to your liking and save them.

For some more information, here is an LP series by Marcus Aurelius that seems focused more on introducing the game and explaining it than for experienced players. I'll admit I only know about it because the first one is the game video on the Steam Store page. And yes, this game is on Steam! As he mentions in his video, all the factions are based off of either historical myth (such as the Celtic Sidhe and Fomorians), on some fictional source (for instance, R'lyeh is a nation of a Aboleths from D&D which rule over a nation of Triton and Atlantean slaves, the latter of which are essentially Deep Ones) or a mix of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMIQfYIkrjA

Also here is a series of his which introduces various mods (he focuses on faction adding mods or ones that change a nation to an extent that it's basically a new faction) and he also introduces a different player made map every video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6gr2s-GVzE

atlantis1_1024x627.jpg
orblightning_1024x627.jpg

http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/

So, that's a brief and probably hectic introduction to Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension. If this has piqued anyone's interest I'd love to play a multiplayer game sometime, although I'm still getting the hang of the game myself :P

Edit: Some useful links

A primer on nation evaluation

A primer on pretender design

A very helpful guide to all the ways to boost magic paths

And an Inspector that lets you look at all items, spells, and units in the game and parse them by faction, so you can look up commanders and units and national summons and the like as well as generic stuff

Edit: Here are the players currently involved in our PBEM games hosted on Llamaserver

EA Game
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PennyArcadeEA
Rhan9 - Niefelheim
Drake - T'ien Ch'i
Elvenshae - Tir na n'Og
Lord_Asmodeus - Ur
Grey_Paladin - Ulm
Moridin889 - R'lyeh
Basil - Xibalba

MA Game
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PennyArcadeMA
Moridin889 - Ermor
Rhan9 - Agartha
Drake - Marignon
Elvenshae - Caelum
Lord_Asmodeus - Xibalba
Basil - Abysia
Fonjo - Ulm
Tiger Burning - Nazca

LA Game (yet to begin)
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PennyArcadeLA
Lord_Asmodeus - C'tis
Moridin889 - Man
Rhan9 - Ulm
Tiger Burning - Bogarus
PolloDiablo - Rl'yeh
Eidoloclast - Marignon

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
Lord_Asmodeus on

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I own Dominions 4 from way back in the preorder period, but I don't think I've actually played the post-release version yet. I've loved the series since 3, but I don't really have much time for it anymore. I played three multiplayer games of Dominions 3 back in the day, which doesn't sound like much, except one of those games can easily represent months of me thinking of very little else. It's an incredibly rich and complicated system. Maybe if I win the lottery and quit my job I'll be able to play another round online someday. Even just experimenting with pretender builds and expansion strategies against the AI can consume days of my life.

And apparently my Desura key registers on Steam, so that's pretty convenient.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Months eh? I remember playing some games of civilization online and I can imagine it could take a real long time to play online. I've only been playing for a bit, so there are definitely levels of complexity I don't have a super solid grasp of. I still mostly don't know what I'm doing with pretender creation for example. I've got some of the basics down but I don't really know how to optimize, and I haven't really even ventured trying to make a super combatant or monster type Pretender.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, play-by-email games go on forever. Individual turns get so complicated in late-game Dominions that turn schedules inevitably end up being one every 3+ days after a while. Sometimes people also run blitz games, which is when you make a smaller map and try to play it out live in one or two sittings. I actually did one of those once in Dominions 4 that I forgot about. People didn't successfully reconvene the second day, though, so it never finished.

If you want a Pretender that will get you fast provinces and don't give a damn about anything else, it's always easy to take a Wyrm, pump it to dominion 9 for Awe, and set it loose on whatever. An enormous HP pool and free regeneration makes it really hard to kill, the fear aura will rout PD regardless of how much damage you do eventually, and it can even recuperate from afflictions. There's also the dragons, who aren't quite as safe due to no regeneration/recuperation, but they still have lots of health, a fear aura, and the breath weapons are actually strong this time around (they weren't in Dom3). And they can fly, so they'll usually escape if things go bad. Just stay away from crossbows and cavalry (this goes for pretty much everyone). Unfortunately, fire and water are usually not the paths you desperately want to diversify into, so the dragons don't see much play.

Where it gets sketchy is if you want a Pretender who can help you expand but also serves a broader role. The kind of pretender who maybe needs a couple of buff spells online before they can fight, but will be more of a magical asset later on. Like...in Dom3, at least, you could expand with a Virtue if you were really careful, but it's also pretty easy to get her killed if you make a bad call. Determining what you can and can't safely fight with these designs--and figuring out which designs are viable to begin with--is pretty hard. And it's not something that really serious competitive players tend to recommend, as far as I know (they're usually more likely to run wyrms/krakens, rainbow mages, or heavy bless strategies, from what I've seen). I like experimenting with this kind of stuff, though.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that most of my metagame knowledge comes from Dominions 3, not Dominions 4. Some stuff might have changed more than I realized.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Part of the issue is I suppose just one of experience, I'll need to probably play a ton of games and read stuff online to figure out the positives and negatives of the various factions, right now it's hard to know what's a good kind of Pretender to pair with a nation because you don't necessarily know what kind of nation is good at different things, and what kind of support it needs (whether they're better served with quick expansion or by building up for the late game, whether you need a bless pretender or a more general support pretender)

For example EA Mictlan seems like they do well with a bless pretender because they've got a cheap fair quality sacred unit in the Jaguar Warrior that you can pump out in fairly large numbers and can be made in any location with a temple (or is it with a fortress/castle?) but I've never played EA Ulm, so I don't really know what kind of Pretender would work for them early on. Part of that is the fun early on, trying different strategies and seeing what works and what doesn't. So far I've stuck entirely to the Early Age nations, are the middle and late ages more difficult or just emphasize different things (what with having more technology like steel and iron and less magic)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    EA Mictlan is, like, THE bless nation. They have arguably the best sacreds in the game. Not only that, but they already have native access to excellent magical diversity and a Blood-based late-game plan. There's not much for their pretender to even DO but provide a bless.

EA Ulm has really strong basic troops, so they don't need an awake expander. They don't have any sacreds of note, so they don't need a bless. They have no Astral access and limited access to high-path mages in general, so you want some useful paths. Ulm can't afford to take Sloth as a dump scale like many nations try to get away with, so that's going to influence your design.

MA Marignon have troops that are good enough to expand with, but not so good that they can win an early war without support. Their sacreds are either too weak or too expensive to care about. Their magical diversity is very bad. So maybe you opt for a pretender with paths that give you more options for late-game strategies, possibly taken awake to help you can research important spells like Fireball and Flaming Arrows if you expect an early war (although maybe that's not worth the cost; dormant pretenders are very popular).

LA Bogarus have phenomenal mages and phenomenal research, but their starting army is HORRIFICALLY bad, and their options for efficient recruitment in the first 2-3 turns are limited (their cavalry is decent, but very expensive), so the odds of your early expansion falling flat on its face is high. That makes taking an awake-expander is very tempting.

The first thing you should do when you're learning a new faction is just boot up a bunch of games and try expanding against independents. Pretty much everyone wants to be averaging around a province per turn over the first 12-15 turns or whatever. If you can do that with just national troops, you probably shouldn't make an awake-expander. If your sacreds are way better at expanding than your non-sacreds, then that's a point in favor of a bless strategy. If the rate or reliability of your expansion is bad no matter what you try, consider an awake expander. Once you have that figured out, you have to start thinking about your late-game strategy, which is...not really my forte, not having played a lot of multiplayer games (and having buggered up my late-game in most of them).

Wyvern on
  • Options
    JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    I have been playing this game a lot lately but never MP .. it seems like I would be horrible at it, but at least I have gotten to the point that I can destroy the AI.

I like playing EA Ur with a 4 (Fire or Air) 4 Earth 9 Nature Bless strategy. I have no idea if my early game strategy is optimal but it is normally 3 turns before I even move out of my capital due to waiting on the slow to recruit Ensi + making it a prophet. I guess I make up for the slow start by getting a 2nd army out quickly. I think I avg better than a province a turn in the 1st 15 (unless I have a poor location).

• Options
    So, I'm looking at EA R'lyeh (because I think Aboleths are cool and I also don't think they're in middle or late age R'lyeh) and their best mages are immobile, and their other best commanders/units are purely aquatic. There are spells to make them amphibious right? Cause it seems like otherwise the faction would be a bit handicapped in the long run.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Spells? I don't think so. But there's an accessory you can forge that lets them go on land. Amulet of the Fish. I can't remember if it requires water, air, or both to forge in Dominions 4, though. Or what its construction level is. But yeah, underwater races (especially heavily-aquatic ones) are tricky to play, and I have no experience with them.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    R'lyeh is pretty awesome for thematic stuff, especially LA... I don't necessarily know if it is viable if you want to win, but there is a certain charm in having your commanders go insane and stop listening to you.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Dominions 3 and 4 are fucking brilliant, and it makes me sad that I couldn't get to finish one multiplayer game I had going on earlier this year. Usually I make my pretender into some sort of magical type with obscene power, but little oomph in a straight up fight beyond their spells. You can craft absurd equipment to kit out your leaders and champions with, and work world spells that can absolutely devastate all of your competition.

Optimizing a powerful spellcaster pretender is pretty difficult though, and it can get extremely expensive to increase their magic power further with the gems, but oh man is it worth it in the end.

• Options
    So, I'm looking at EA R'lyeh (because I think Aboleths are cool and I also don't think they're in middle or late age R'lyeh) and their best mages are immobile, and their other best commanders/units are purely aquatic. There are spells to make them amphibious right? Cause it seems like otherwise the faction would be a bit handicapped in the long run.

Water factions are handicapped on land, and vice versa. The undead are decently amphibious since they don't need to breathe, as well as the cave dwellers, but water and land empires are balanced just fine, making it easier for each to defend themselves.

Some spells make commanders amphibious, yes. I believe an Air spell creates a bubble that lets them breathe, and some nature spell gives them gills. You can also craft magical equipment like the shambler cloak or a ring/amulet of water breathing to allow land commanders in water. I'm not entirely sure if there are equivalent ways to allow purely aquatic creatures on land, since I haven't played much with Aboleths.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I have always been incredibly curious about this game, but damn is it intimidating. I have probably spent hours reading nation guides and browsing the game manual, but all that has done is scare me further.

• Options
    It's not really at all as complex as it seems. The thing is, there's a lot of spells, so if you want to concentrate on that aspect of the game, some research wouldn't hurt. The basic parts of the game are pretty simple though. Many factions have unique mechanics, but getting started is pretty easy by just picking a relatively generic faction (humans, combat pretender, etc.), and just giving it a go. Watching a tutorial or two on YT helps too. I'd really recommend giving it a go at least, since it's got a ton of content, variability and atmosphere.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    The feeling I get is similar to some old-school RPGs where it is possibly to build an entirely awful character/party if you don't know all the systems at play. There is such a huge amount of depth in the builds possible, and there seems to be a huge element of rock/paper/scissors, as in, if you rely heavily on archers someone might just cast a bunch of spells that completely neuter them.

I guess what I should do is just start playing on lower difficulties and play around with the mechanics.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    A disciple game with a more experienced player as the main god seems like a good way to help less experienced players learn in game

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, definitely. A disciple game is a brilliant way to get the hang of things, if you can find someone to play with.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    For me one of the biggest things keeping me from playing this game more is that even looking at online nation overviews and the like I still feel like I don't really know where to start picking a nation to play, and I don't really want to play the same nation over and over again yet.

I think if we could get a PA disciple game going that'd be awesome.

And what I sort of hope they add in future patches is a MA and LA version of Ur. They seem like a really cool faction and it's a shame both from a gameplay and a lore perspective that they don't show up in other ages IMO.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I like this game, played 3 or something before it. I find it is really hard to counter an invasion as you can never tell where their forces will go.

The way the influence effects take time to alter the terrain is really nice instead of instant changes.

Played a little Ulm
    Ulm has access to cheap forging at low levels in EA, their basic smiths get -1 stone per artifact and have earth and a random magic, I had black metal armor and swords of sharpness on every general. The advantage is most powerful on 5 stone artifacts.

Their main EA advantage is that they can recruit medium warriors in any mountain or forest area, but they need far more resources then gold.

Going with a smith god allows you to forge even cheaper artifacts while a versatile mage would allow you to find lots of gems to build. Their only holy unit is a really good heavy infantry for the age but you can get so many more medium infantry it's almost inconsequential.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    For me one of the biggest things keeping me from playing this game more is that even looking at online nation overviews and the like I still feel like I don't really know where to start picking a nation to play, and I don't really want to play the same nation over and over again yet.

I think if we could get a PA disciple game going that'd be awesome.

And what I sort of hope they add in future patches is a MA and LA version of Ur. They seem like a really cool faction and it's a shame both from a gameplay and a lore perspective that they don't show up in other ages IMO.

Well, there's a reason for Ur not being around in MA and LA, since it's sorta based on the Gilgamesh/Enkidu myth, and hence it's supposed to be ancient even compared to the other old empires.

I'm sure we could set up a PA game, although the usual issues with time-zones and such might be a problem. There's always PBEM, but it's slow.

• Options
    True, but the Nephilim are also supposed to be a super ancient faction historically, and they're represented in middle and late ages. I just think it would be cool to see where they take them based off the mythology after the EA, after all they've got fiction they can incorporate as well as myth

As for time zones, we should probably see what time zones everyone who might be interested is in and when they'd be available and then coordinate from there. I'm on Eastern Standard and I'm usually available from like 3PM to 6AM, but I don't have much going and I can adjust my schedule to compensate.

• Options
    Well, I'm in the UTC+2 zone, so yeah. We'll see if there's interest. I could be pretty flexible with the time for the next week and a half at least, as long as it's not in the middle of the night for me. I do like to sleep in something approximately like normal sleep schedules.

• Options
    Early age seems like the most appropriate, since IIRC I've heard people say it's the most commonly played age, and I like that mythical monster troops/commanders are more prevalent.

So with a Disciple game, how does Dominion work. Like if I was playing a disciple as say Lanka, who have troops that are better in disorder dominion, would that interfere with other disciples/the main god who maybe have order, or does the main gods dominion override the disciples dominion?

• Options
    The Pretender's dominion affects the disciples dominion, but not the other way around. You still get your own effects as a disciple, but your Pretender's effects also apply to your lands. You don't want a Pretender who is playing the undead varieties of Ermor, or a pretender who applies cold or heat to provinces, unless you're also resistant to those effects.

• Options
    Are there any good balance/quality of life type mods that you anybody would suggest? Or some mods that maybe make certain factions more viable?

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I reaaaaallllly want to play this game and I own it, but its super complicated haha, and I instantly fell in love with Caelum, which I've realized in the long run was a mistake, but damnit one day I'll win a battle. maybe.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Yeah I saw Marcus Aurelius' video about the Ragha in the late age who are half Caelum half Abyssian, and their Caelum commanders and units seemed... not great.

I've been playing EA Abyssia and they're great fun but I think I'm going to need to get a lot more resources next game, all of their units are super expensive resource wise

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Yeah Caelum are god awful because they fly. You would think this would be a boon, but it in facts fatigues the shit out of them, and then makes them less effective in combat.

The answer to this dilemma is lots and lots of archers. The problem to this is Caelum never gets anything better than shortbows.

I have not figured out any way to effectively play them.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    You could have your guys hold then attack the rear, so the enemy will start moving towards them while being whittled by archers, and your troops will wait and then fly at the undefended archers and commanders.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Middle Age Ulm 4 life.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I bought this in the steam winter sale

I am hoping I actually play it :P, the series always seemed deeply interesting to me

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    In that last patch in November they apparently added a couple of factions, I should give them a try. And while I'm at it I need to install this on my laptop so I can play more than just every once in awhile.

• Options
    So uh, it's been awhile I hope it's okay to post in this thread again. Going to be playing a multiplayer match soon and I'm looking forward to it.

In more general news, there's been a new faction since January, Xibalba which is present in all three ages. It's named after the Mayan underworld and it has bat people, it's very much like Mictlan (being another nation based on Meso-American mythology/culture) I'll be playing them in the multiplayer game (first time so I hope I do well with them)

and good news for those who like Underwater nations thematically, the next patch is supposed be a big buff/balance patch based around making underwater nations more playable, it's also adding another Underwater nation, Therodos based around Greek myth, and they're adding more Underwater Pretenders and doing some balance work on existing Underwater pretenders.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I love Illwinter's dedication to this series, the ongoing support is really nice. I'll probably be picking up the printed manual soon, it's actually a pretty entertaining read. It has a lot of the same flavor as old table top tomes had back in the 80s.

It should also be noted that this superb game is on sale for the week on Steam at a tasty forty percent off. Probably won't get you if you are on the fence about buying it, but if you have been waiting for a decent discount, this is a good one. This game is easily worth twenty bucks.

• Options
    Ooh that is a good discount. My brother and I are sharing the game on Steam but I might snap it up for myself if I had the money to spare. IIRC Illwinter doesn't do a lot of discounts on their own site so Steam Discounts are probably the best chance to get it cheaper than full price.

Oh and here's the progress notes for the next patch that I've borrowed from where I heard about it
    2015-05-09 11:04:23 +0200
    New UW Pretenders and stuff

2015-04-22 21:26:34 +0200
    Some UW Pretender changes
    New UW pretenders

2015-04-17 17:55:47 +0200
    New UW Pretender
    Therodos fixes
    THerodos sprites

2015-03-31 23:13:42 +0200
    Iron armaments rust in the sea
    Rust permanent until repaired
    Damaged weapons/armors lower dmg/prot
    Bone tribe barbarians and shamans
    New poptypes: Ichtyid shaman, Bone Tribe barbarians
    New mermen/ichtyid sites
    Mermage & Pelagian Mermage remake
    Pelagian Explorer
    Altered Descriptions
    Enkidu Headhunter & Bone Tribe Headhunter Club -> Skull Club
    EA Pelagia Hero
    Turtle Warriors Javelin -> Coral Tipped Javelin

2015-03-30 20:32:24 +0200
    Ichtyid Shaman
    New Pelagian coastal recruits
    Mermage/priest sprite remade
    New 'rusty armor' icons

2015-03-09 21:57:36 +0100
    UW indeps a bit weaker
    Typos
    Lower throne no longer appears UW
    Eventmodding #req_notnation didn't work
    Divine Glyph and Baphomet magic beings
    Can't compete in arena while sneaking
    Ancinet kraken doesn't lose Ink attack if equipped with weapons
    Abomination doesn't lose tentacles if equipped with copper arm and weapons
    Macaw and Condor got headslots
    Some nations got pretender discounts

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I still wish I had the time to really figure out what I'm doing with this game.

I figure some tweaks and my armies would be totally awesome. As it stands, they basically roll over things until they suddenly don't and I have no real idea why.

(Tir na n'Og)

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    After playing a ton of conquest of elesyium 3 I bought this game in the fall. I never really gave it a chance just because the learning curve was so steep. I need to get back into it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Here are some links I've borrowed from someone else that recommended them, I'll probably edit them into the OP.

A primer on nation evaluation

A primer on pretender design

A very helpful guide to all the ways to boost magic paths

And an Inspector that lets you look at all items, spells, and units in the game and parse them by faction, so you can look up commanders and units and national summons and the like as well as generic stuff

• Options
    So would anyone want to play game of PBEM multiplayer using the Llamaserver service.

Here's the FAQ

I've mostly played in the Early Age but I'm willing to give any era a try. If you're potentially interested what era would you prefer to play them?

• Options
    Man, don't even tempt me. I would love to play Dominions again someday, but Dominions multiplayer is an all-consuming beast and I don't know if I can mentally commit to it anymore. Last time I was obsessing over spell scripting and formations 24-7 for months on end. It's bad enough that you were so cruel as to expose me to that Inspector database.

• Options
    Well I'm a newb to multiplayer, and I'm not terribly experienced at the game in general. I of course can't necessarily say the same of all the people who might theoretically want to play, though we could try and make sure it's a more relaxed, casual game. I've been reading some AAR's from an RP game, we could try something like that where our defined win conditions aren't necessarily as the game.