As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Zelda] thread. BOTW spoilers WILL be posted before release. Watch your step!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    DLC in zelda?

=/

Let's not treat DLC like it's a dirty word.

Some companies handle it very nicely. And Nintendo has a good track record.

SilverWind wrote: »
    Play as Zelda maybe??

I would love this, but I have zero faith that this will ever happen in a regular Zelda title.

Nintendo's gonna Nintendo.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    DLC in zelda?

=/

Some companies handle it very nicely.

Play as Zelda maybe??

I would love this, but I have zero faith that this will ever happen in a regular Zelda title.

it's just a hassle

I hate starting up a game and realizing I can't do something else because I need a map pack or the season is over or this or that or whatever

I'd say I'm an old curmudgeon and get off my lawn, but there will probably be a decorative tunic with a picture of a lawn on it available for purchase* for 50 rupees**

*purchase does not transfer from character to character or through accounts except if you buy the transfer

**rupees are available on our online malomart for $5 per 500

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Also I guess it goes without saying but I am champing at the idea of this DLC

Nintendo does DLC better than pretty much anyone outside of CD Projekt Red. Mario Kart 8's DLC value offer was fabulous, and Hyrule Warriors was stupid in how much it gave you.

More story? More trials? More dungeon? Fuuuuuuck. And I'm the guy who really wants the Cave of Ordeals, because unlike every other Zelda game in 3D this one is systems-based for its combat and seems like it will be a much stronger pleasure to actually fight in? I want that! Give it to me!

What does systems-based mean in this context?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Nintendo does DLC better than pretty much anyone outside of CD Projekt Red. Mario Kart 8's DLC value offer was fabulous, and Hyrule Warriors was stupid in how much it gave you.

More story? More trials? More dungeon? Fuuuuuuck. And I'm the guy who really wants the Cave of Ordeals, because unlike every other Zelda game in 3D this one is systems-based for its combat and seems like it will be a much stronger pleasure to actually fight in? I want that! Give it to me!

I'm being slightly hyperbolic in the usage here

"Systems" refers to mechanical systems that dictate gameplay flow and allow you to respond to multiple situations with widely applicable tool. Link's ability to parry pretty much any attack short of a larger Guardian's laser blast can be referred to as the game having a parry system. The Flurry Strike also has its own mechanical system behind it, based on dodging during the right frames of the enemy's attacks and getting a big damage bonus out of it. Z-Targeting is also a system! Basically I'm referring to systems that are combat-specific, which isn't something that was super common in older Zelda games, though they would flirt with it (like Wind Waker's contextual counterattacks and a lot of the moves in Twilight Princess)

When I say "Yo look at these systems" you can safely roll your eyes and go "Oh, he's getting hyped about parries and Witch Time in Zelda"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Everyone agrees that the first thing was rock. But rock was not created, it simply was. Din did not create it, but carved it, separating rock from the not-rock that is the sky. Only the goron and the rito know this truth. This is because Din is first and foremost a goddess of destruction. Humans are scared by this word, but there is nothing wrong with a little destruction so long as it is tempered by Nayru. I will leave the story of the sky to the rito elders, but for now let this goron tell you the tale of the rock.

All things are made from the careful and precise carving of the original rock. Some remained solid and hard and cold and dry. Some was hot. Some became fine dust. Some became wet. Some became soft. Only when all the mountains and the sand and the water and the soft squishy bits were done did Farore deign to animate it. The first life was goron, the people of the rock, who most closely resembled the original rock. I will not say that we are the best rock, but we are the strongest and hardiest. Other types of rock come and go, but the mountains have survived cataclysm after cataclysm. After she was finished with us she tried her hand at the squishier rock. Those were okay too.

There is nothing special about the demons. They were carved out of the rock just like any of us. Why they are so mean and nasty, I cannot say. But I know that the goron are an easygoing people and we were made out of the good old solid rock. We will fight to defend ourselves but we have never started a war. I know this because the mountains remember everything on account of lasting forever, and the goron are close friends to the mountains. Humans have been aggressive. Zora have been aggressive. Deku have been aggressive. Demons just happen to be the most aggressive. But the goron are always friendly.

Like everything else, the triforce was also carved. It was originally one big triangle, the shape of a mountain. When the goddesses ascended to heaven and took the triforce with them, the middle part fell out and became Death Mountain, promised home to the gorons, the first life. Every attempt to claim the triforce since has been an attempt to fill the middle with one person's ego. This is because they do not understand the beauty of carving, of creation from controlled destruction. This is why I wish to spread the truth to the people of Hyrule.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    it's gonna be a real bummer when we find out who austin's secret account is and we're all like "oh shit the most unfunny poster"

'Sup

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yer doin' god's work, -Tal.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Everyone agrees that the first thing was rock. But rock was not created, it simply was. Din did not create it, but carved it, separating rock from the not-rock that is the sky. Only the goron and the rito know this truth. This is because Din is first and foremost a goddess of destruction. Humans are scared by this word, but there is nothing wrong with a little destruction so long as it is tempered by Nayru. I will leave the story of the sky to the rito elders, but for now let this goron tell you the tale of the rock.

All things are made from the careful and precise carving of the original rock. Some remained solid and hard and cold and dry. Some was hot. Some became fine dust. Some became wet. Some became soft. Only when all the mountains and the sand and the water and the soft squishy bits were done did Farore deign to animate it. The first life was goron, the people of the rock, who most closely resembled the original rock. I will not say that we are the best rock, but we are the strongest and hardiest. Other types of rock come and go, but the mountains have survived cataclysm after cataclysm. After she was finished with us she tried her hand at the squishier rock. Those were okay too.

There is nothing special about the demons. They were carved out of the rock just like any of us. Why they are so mean and nasty, I cannot say. But I know that the goron are an easygoing people and we were made out of the good old solid rock. We will fight to defend ourselves but we have never started a war. I know this because the mountains remember everything on account of lasting forever, and the goron are close friends to the mountains. Humans have been aggressive. Zora have been aggressive. Deku have been aggressive. Demons just happen to be the most aggressive. But the goron are always friendly.

Like everything else, the triforce was also carved. It was originally one big triangle, the shape of a mountain. When the goddesses ascended to heaven and took the triforce with them, the middle part fell out and became Death Mountain, promised home to the gorons, the first life. Every attempt to claim the triforce since has been an attempt to fill the middle with one person's ego. This is because they do not understand the beauty of carving, of creation from controlled destruction. This is why I wish to spread the truth to the people of Hyrule.

This one was very good, I like your Goron voice

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I keep expecting the Qun to show up inexplicably in the middle of one of these -tal lore posts

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    DLC in zelda?

=/

Some companies handle it very nicely.

Play as Zelda maybe??

it's just a hassle

I hate starting up a game and realizing I can't do something else because I need a map pack or the season is over or this or that or whatever

I'd say I'm an old curmudgeon and get off my lawn, but there will probably be a decorative tunic with a picture of a lawn on it available for purchase* for 50 rupees**

*purchase does not transfer from character to character or through accounts except if you buy the transfer

**rupees are available on our online malomart for $5 per 500

You went from standard DLC to micro-transactions at the end of that statement, which is kind of its own thing. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I kind of lump them in together because I'm old and grumpy

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I kind of lump them in together because I'm old and grumpy

They can both be problematic but in very different ways. And both have non-toxic applications as well.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Can confirm this is true.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Random thing I realized the other day: Breath of the Wild is the first 3D Zelda with magic rods.

Unless you want to count the dominion rod from TP, but that thing doesn't shoot fire or ice, so it doesn't matter.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    It is technically a rod that is magic

Alternatively: Link Between Worlds is the most 3D Zelda

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It is technically a rod that is magic

Alternatively: Link Between Worlds is the most 3D Zelda

Does this Zelda look 3D to you?
    388?cb=20140111074149

Peewi on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

I'm being slightly hyperbolic in the usage here

"Systems" refers to mechanical systems that dictate gameplay flow and allow you to respond to multiple situations with widely applicable tool. Link's ability to parry pretty much any attack short of a larger Guardian's laser blast can be referred to as the game having a parry system. The Flurry Strike also has its own mechanical system behind it, based on dodging during the right frames of the enemy's attacks and getting a big damage bonus out of it. Z-Targeting is also a system! Basically I'm referring to systems that are combat-specific, which isn't something that was super common in older Zelda games, though they would flirt with it (like Wind Waker's contextual counterattacks and a lot of the moves in Twilight Princess)

When I say "Yo look at these systems" you can safely roll your eyes and go "Oh, he's getting hyped about parries and Witch Time in Zelda"

Is this kind of what you're getting at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsal3HVpy9o

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Kind of. Mother's Basement has a lot of particular issues with gameplay interfaces that he projects onto the analysis, and that vid is (sort of? it's kind of unfocused) more about the fact of the open world in the context of older Zelda titles

But yeah the bit where he talks about intersecting systems and AI routines is next door to what I was tlaking about

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What is -Tal doing

• Options
    What is -Tal doing

Living his life, man

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    What is -Tal doing

writing fan fiction

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    What is -Tal doing

writing fan fiction

Aren't we all just writing our own fanfiction, every day?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    What is -Tal doing

writing fan fiction

Well, only if you consider yourself a "fan".

No I don't.
  • Options
    What is -Tal doing

writing fan fiction

I have my moments

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    What is -Tal doing

writing fan fiction

I have my moments

I don't!

No I don't.
  • Options
    What is -Tal doing

writing fan fiction

I have my moments

I don't!

Living one long uninterrupted streak of awesome, eh?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'm playing Oracle of Ages for the first time in forever and I don't remember anything about this game.

Some long armed creepo in an outhouse just handed me a bag of shit and I guess I'm just carrying it around with me while I try to save the world.

• Options
    What is -Tal doing

writing fan fiction

I have my moments

I don't!

Living one long uninterrupted streak of awesome, eh?

Don't you know it. :cool:

No I don't.
  • Options
    Kind of. Mother's Basement has a lot of particular issues with gameplay interfaces that he projects onto the analysis, and that vid is (sort of? it's kind of unfocused) more about the fact of the open world in the context of older Zelda titles

But yeah the bit where he talks about intersecting systems and AI routines is next door to what I was tlaking about

It's the difference between a world that has rules and contains objects instead of a world that contains objects which have rules. In previous Zelda games your interactions with the environment were prescribed, the blocks you could push were clearly different from those you couldn't and operated on a ruleset all their own, they moved at set intervals in tracks and if they were ever affected by gravity it would be in a way that was designed. If a tree were to fall it would only do so in service of the design. Breath of the Wild appears to approach that differently, at least in the world. You can manipulate objects in the world and affect them and combine the effects of different objects because their systems are a function of the world and not each object. That's what allows a rudimentary catapult, by combining a plank with a boulder with the physics of the world.

But by god if there's one thing I'm hoping for it's the removal of clawshot targets. Now that you can climb (nearly) everywhere they had better give you something that can grapple everywhere you can climb. The worst part of the clawshot replacing the hookshot is the hookshot (at least in OoT and MM) could hook onto anything wooden.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    What is -Tal doing

The usual

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    just wait until -tal finds the fascists to defend in this ip

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Aonuma hints that a 2D Zelda is in development

He had previously hinted that a multiplayer Zelda is next, so I was almost wondering if these might be the same game, but the multiplayer quote seems to hint that he's referring to the 3D team taking a crack at it (though "take what I learned from Breath of the Wild" is vague enough that he could be applying it to a 2D game, at the same time, the 2D quote seems to indicate that that will be a more traditional Zelda)

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Are they really putting out the multiplayer ones that often?

It feels like Triforce Heroes just came out

It also feels like it came out 40 years ago

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Aonuma hints that a 2D Zelda is in development

He had previously hinted that a multiplayer Zelda is next, so I was almost wondering if these might be the same game, but the multiplayer quote seems to hint that he's referring to the 3D team taking a crack at it (though "take what I learned from Breath of the Wild" is vague enough that he could be applying it to a 2D game, at the same time, the 2D quote seems to indicate that that will be a more traditional Zelda)

God I hope so. The last 2D game was a weird multiplayer thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh shit (not a spoiler but if you want to poke at the systems and be surprised by every single thing don't read this Wyborn)

I love how important weather is in how you need to prepare

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    As my friend the goron said, we rito recognize the sky as the first creation. The sky has always been a place of refuge and peace. Although the goron are people of the rock, their greatest settlements are high in the mountains that stretch towards the sky. In antiquity, Hylia raised her people to the heavens. The Oocca attempted to build their utopia in the sky. In the time of the deluge, the sea was raised closer to the sky so that even the fish might know its majesty and the land dwellers made home on the tops of what once were mountains. Yet, when it was possible to do so, the humans have always opted to return to the valleys and plains, despite their own mythology placing divinity in the heavens. Why is this so? We believe it is a lack of courage, in favor of the comfort of the familiar.

The rito are not dragons, but it is true that we are more attuned to the sky than most, having been blessed by the goddesses with the capacity for flight. This was only possible due to the courage of our ancestors. When the seas were raised, the zora had a closer view of the sky than they ever had before. Some opted to stay in the familiar sea. I must tread carefully when speaking of them so as not to offend my civilized cousins. I will say that it is not coincidence that some who stayed behind became the monsters who terrorize Hyrule's rivers, and leave it at that. But those zora brave enough to leap towards the clouds were rewarded with wings and became the rito, the peaceful people of the sky.

The further below, the more chaotic and violent the place. The worst is the underground, home of the demons. Then there are the dungeons. Then the surface, a site of frequent strife and warfare intermittently punctuated by peace. Then the mountains, home of the goron. Then there is the sky. And above that is the heavens, where the goddesses reside.

The triforce originally rested in the heavens, a symbol of the goddesses meant to give hope to the people. Over time, the royal family of Hyrule has brought it lower and lower, and trapped it on the surface. There the triforce stopped being a symbol of hope and instead became a source of war, time and time again, as various tribes have sought to exploit it, most commonly the tribe of the Demon Pig.

It is time for the triforce to return to its rightful place in the heavens, where none may lay hands on it. To do this only requires the courage to let it go.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh shit (not a spoiler but if you want to poke at the systems and be surprised by every single thing don't read this Wyborn)

I love how important weather is in how you need to prepare

this is awesome

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Wonder what you get by hoppIng back just in time consecutively

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Try it 200 times and report back

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    The master sword struck the pig, and the awful fighting ended.

Ganon hoped this to be a true death, but he felt the sting on his hand, and opened his eyes to see the glowing triangle still present. He knew he had returned to his place that was not a place, from which he could see the gates of heaven. Behind those golden bars the goddesses performed their song, and Ganon came to greet them.

Nayru saw the demon king approach and stopped her singing. "Why have you come to us again, Ganon, son of Ganon?" Before he could answer, Farore laughed and said, "The beast has come again to grovel at our feet that we may let him into heaven." Din said nothing, and merely regarded Ganon with disgust.

Ganon tried to object that he was not a beast, for he had awoken in this place as a man, but could only produce squeals and grunts, not words. He had hoped only for the goddesses to continue their song so that he might enjoy it a while longer, but he knew this was not to be and left the golden gates to find a little place of nothing.

Ganon walked and walked and walked until he could no longer turn around and see the golden gates. Then he walked some more until he could not walk and began crawling on all fours. Then his feet and hands became hooves and his nose became a snout and the demon pig had returned. Ganon felt the lurching in his stomach and vomited a son. He named this son Ganon, as his own father Ganon had named him.

Tired from the walking and the crawling and the vomiting, Ganon, Father of Ganon, laid down on his side and expired. Ganon, Son of Ganon looked upon his father and felt hunger. He began to eat the carcass of the demon pig, growing bigger and stronger all the while until he was fully grown. Then he felt a sting on his hand and looked upon it to see the glowing triangle. It seemed so bright as to blind him, and when he turned his head he could see the golden gates, behind which the goddesses sang.

But before Ganon could hear more of the song, he found himself in the desert. He looked to the heavens and felt determined to return there so he could hear the song again. And the awful fighting began again.

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.