As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] Enrage timers and high fashion! Chatterwhite for everyone!

GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles PaesanoRegistered User regular
edited September 2014 in Games and Technology
We called it the Traveler, and its arrival changed us forever. Great cities were built on Mars and Venus; Mercury became a garden world. Human lifespan tripled. It was a time of miracles. We stared out at the galaxy and knew that it was our Destiny to walk in the light of other stars.

But the Traveler had an enemy. A Darkness - which had hunted it for eons, across the black gulfs of space, centuries after our Golden Age began. This Darkness... found us. And that was the end of everything.

That is, until Peter Dinklage found you, Guardian!

7wqy627to2qz.jpg

Destiny: Penny Arcade G&T Saves the Universe and Everything in It is an online multiplayer action role-playing sci-fi-fantasy *deep breath* first-person shooter for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 and the first title in a proposed 10-year, zillion-dollar franchise from Bungie and Activision. It’s MMO-like – think gear, skill trees, leveling up, and party play – with an emphasis on exploration and discovery.

The game is set in our own solar system, 700 years in the future, following a prosperous period of exploration and colonization ushered in by the arrival of the “Traveler,” a mysterious celestial body (pictured above). The Golden Age came to an abrupt end as a result of a momentous event called “the Collapse,” a calamity that wiped out human colonies everywhere, and as our story begins, humanity has retreated to the Last City on Earth, our shared home and the launching point for our journey back to the stars.

The Traveler watches over the Last City, and it is recruiting heroes from Earth to help protect our doomed planet, but the Darkness that hunts it is descending upon us. We must fight back against that Darkness, Guardians. We must suit up and set out - to the Moon and the planets beyond. We are humanity’s last hope.

So join up! Our clan is on both systems!

5poflkd6kg6e.png

We've assembled a Bungie.net group - and within that group, a PlayStation clan and an Xbox clan - so that PA G&Ters can play together. We're Pax Arcadia, and we're currently making our way through endgame content and crushing the Crucible in six-man fireteams on a nightly basis!

Edit (9/10/14): Pax Arcadia has hit the 100-player cap on the PlayStation side (Xbox side still has openings). If you are on PS4 and are looking to join up, you need to request membership in Pax Arcadia II, but I would encourage everyone to also join regular Pax Arcadia, in case Bungie raises or removes the cap in the future. See instructions below.

To join:
1. Send @GMaster7 (on the PS side) or @ObiFett (on the Xbox side) - or preferably, both - a PM, letting us know that you're applying.
2. Hit up the Bungie.net group for Pax Arcadia (right here, at this link) and apply for membership, then hit up the group for Pax Arcadia II if you're on PS4 (right here) and apply for membership.
3. Add yourself to the Pax Arcadia Mega-Roster that we've created to keep track of membership. Use the tabs at the bottom to select your console, and put yourself at the bottom of your tab's list. We'll bump you up to your proper alphabetical placement once you're in the group.
4. When we get your PM and see that you're on the spreadsheet, we'll accept you to the group(s). Then, you have to separately join your system's clan - so click "Set as PlayStation Clan" in Pax Arcadia II's banner if you're on PS3/PS4 or "Set as Xbox Clan" in Pax Arcadia's banner if you're on 360/XB1 to officially add yourself to the clan roster. (Note: This only works after you've played the game on your system for the first time.)
5. Friend some PAers, hop online, and take to the skies in the name of Pax Arcadia!

d16n9hnpzqqq.png

Pax Arcadia Raid Finder

The Vault of Glass is waiting. If you are lvl 26+, it's your time to Become Legend. Join Pax Arcadia in conquering it again and again and again. Every week we will poll the members of Pax Arcadia in an effort to help everyone find a raid group and fill out groups that are missing members. If you want to raid, this is a great way to do it with fellow forumites/clanmates.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GROUP: Fill out this form. Note that it gives you a link to be able to change your information after you submit. Please keep that link so you can update any availability info if your schedule changes for that week. Once there are enough matches on the spreadsheet for your console, @ObiFett will send you and your matches a group PM letting you know Pax Arcadia has found a group for you. We will only match groups that have at least a 4-hour availability overlap on two days of the week. If you don't hear from Obi, then there were not enough matches for your availability and console to form a Raid Team from Pax Arcadia. You can still look at the results page and form a partial group, if you want. If this happens, please let Obi know so he can update the spreadsheet.

IF YOU NEED MORE RAID FIRETEAM MEMBERS: Use the availability results page to see who fits your group's schedule. Obi will do his best to keep the results page organized by console. If you find a member or form a group through the results page, please let him know so he can remove the names from the spreadsheet.

We will use the same form and results page each week; please keep your availability as current as possible if you're looking to take advantage of the Raid Finder. Every Monday, we will update the form, clear out the results spreadsheet, and make a post letting everyone know to fill out the form again. If you want to raid and don't have a group, make sure you fill out the form each week!

Misc. Codes and Links

Pimp yourself out with these codes for emblems, shaders, and grimoire cards:
Redeem here: http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption

YKA-RJG-MH9 (Grimoire: Warlock)
3DA-P4X-F6A (Grimoire: Titan)
MVD-4N3-NKH (Grimoire: Hunter)
TCN-HCD-TGY (Grimoire: Rixis)
HDX-ALM-V4K (Grimoire: Old Russia)
473-MXR-3X9 (Grimoire: Hive)
JMR-LFN-4A3 (Grimoire: Moon)
HC3-H44-DKC (Grimoire: Gjallorhorn)
69P-KRM-JJA (Grimoire: Duke MK.44)
69P-VCH-337 (Grimoire: The Tower)
69R-CKD-X7L (Grimoire: Ogre)
69R-DDD-FCP (Grimoire: Valley of the Kings, Mars)
69R-F99-AXG (Grimoire: The Fallen)
69R-VL7-J6A (Grimoire: Red Death)
69X-DJN-74V (Grimoire: The Cabal)
6A7-7NP-3X7 (Grimoire: The Devastated Coast)
6A9-DTG-YGN (Grimoire: Vex Minotaur)
7F9-767-F74 (Emblem: Sign of the Finite)
FJ9-LAM-67F (Emblem: Binding Focus)
JD7-4CM-HJG (Emblem: Illusion of Light)
JDT-NLC-JKM (Emblem: Ab Aeterno)
JNX-DMH-XLA (Emblem: Field of Light)
7CP-94V-LFP (Emblem: Lone Focus, Jagged Edge)
X4C-FGX-MX3 (Emblem: Note of Conquest)
X9F-GMA-H6D (Emblem: The Unimagined Plane)
N3L-XN6-PXF (Emblem: The Reflective Proof)
A7L-FYC-44X (Emblem: Flames of Forgotten Truth)
7MM-VPD-MHP (Shader: Double Banshee)
RXC-9XJ-4MH (Shader: Oracle 99)

Find Public Events with this nifty tracker: http://destinypublicevents.com

Play dress-up with the Shader Previewer: http://db.destinytracker.com/character

If you can't seem to find a group in the thread, you can try: http://www.destinylfg.net

And finally, as always:

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
GMaster7 on

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    It is important everyone knows about my thoughts on hunters:
    Stragint wrote: »
    Blade Dancers are so frustrating.

I think this is true, but has nothing to do with their apparent power level, or lack thereof.

Any of the other supers, except the bubble, are one hit kills of hugely destructive potential or Sunsinger's tricksy tricks. The thing is - they are more or less instant. Blade dancer has a bunch of lead up time to that same kill (or set of kills on a bunch of enemies). So even though the result is the same, it feels different (and worse) to fail to knock them out of the super before they can wreck everybody's face. If the blade dancer super was their RT AOE thing scaled up to be like the titan fist of havoc, I think there'd be way fewer complaints.

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Of the two heavy weapons sold by the vanguard, is either one better for its class than the other?

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    PSN and Destiny down. I'm not happy.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I don't have any problems with Bladedancer at all. It suits my play style and I enjoy it.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I think this is true, but has nothing to do with their apparent power level, or lack thereof.

Any of the other supers, except the bubble, are one hit kills of hugely destructive potential or Sunsinger's tricksy tricks. The thing is - they are more or less instant. Blade dancer has a bunch of lead up time to that same kill (or set of kills on a bunch of enemies). So even though the result is the same, it feels different (and worse) to fail to knock them out of the super before they can wreck everybody's face. If the blade dancer super was their RT AOE thing scaled up to be like the titan fist of havoc, I think there'd be way fewer complaints.

I hate that there's usually no way to escape a Blade Dancer once they see you. Could be halfway across the map, doesn't matter: they WILL catch you and gut you before it runs out.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Also, servers seem to be back up. I had to reboot the Xbox, though

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    "Oh hey, I'm done playing Destiny, you can hop on and play now!"
    Awesome, time to finish up those bounties!

ERROR CATERPILLAR
    ERROR CATTLE

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Damn totally missed the new thread woop

I agree. I think they are all pretty balanced. The Titan smash has a somewhat annoying invincibility frame, and can wipe out a whole team if they are bunched together (or they run through the after-effect shockwave). Warlocks Novabomb can also just as easily clear the room. It's only because the Blancer (my new term for Bladedancers) can chainkill across a bigger space people feel it is OP. The AoE move is just... okay, and the wave attack is better but super hard to aim. So basically the movement speed of Blancers, coupled with either invisibility or Blink, makes people furious.

Which makes me so, so happy.

Local H Jay on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

I hate that there's usually no way to escape a Blade Dancer once they see you. Could be halfway across the map, doesn't matter: they WILL catch you and gut you before it runs out.

If they are halfway across the map, just shoot them. You'll need to not miss / get headshots, but that's how you win most duels anyhow.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I don't know if hunters are 'imbalanced' but arc blade is pretty clearly the best PvP super, followed maybe by sunsinging.

Every other super requires it to be activated at the right time, and will only ever get more than one kill if you save it for exactly the right moment. Saving supers is bad because it means you aren't generating a new super.

Arc Blade will get 2 kills if you activate it at when 2 players are in your general vicinity. I just played a game where a guy blade danced straight up to a pike shooting him head on with pike beamz, while I was rocketing him with an interceptor. He got the pike but didn't get me, even the he was able to arc into cover to avoid my rockets.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Damn totally missed the new thread woop

I agree. I think they are all pretty balanced. The Titan smash has a somewhat annoying invincibility frame, and can wipe out a whole team if they are bunched together (or they run through the after-effect shockwave). Warlocks Novabomb can also just as easily clear the room. It's only because the Blancer (my new term for Bladedancers) can chainkill across a bigger space people feel it is OP. The AoE move is just... okay, and the wave attack is better but super hard to aim. So basically the movement speed of Blancers, coupled with either invisibility or Blink, makes people furious.

Which makes me so, so happy.

My original thought was "Damn, Blade Dancer is OP, this is really dumb. Why would Bungie allow this?". Then the rational part of my mind told me to stop being dumb and remember that Voidwalker and Striker can both just decimate a grouped up enemy team. And like you said, I think that is the important part here. While I can kill an entire team with one special, if I only kill one person I only get that single kill with it where a Blade Dancer can kill that one person and then another because their special is still rolling.

Pretty much I think what frustrates me the most is I can entirely whiff my special while a Blade Dancer will probably always get at least a kill or two.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    like it's so self evident that arc blade is far and away the best, dunno how you would even argue that anything other than sunsinging has anywhere near the utility

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

If they are halfway across the map, just shoot them. You'll need to not miss / get headshots, but that's how you win most duels anyhow.

Yeah, Blade Dancers love eating knife headshots or getting stuck with a grenade. Makes me feel kinda bad though.

It's so weird how frail we hunters are. Hell, everybody else seems to get shield boosts when they melee stuff... not us!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I don't have any problems with Bladedancer at all. It suits my play style and I enjoy it.

I'm only like level 21 but I am having fun shanking man in blade dancer pve

Have not really investigates pvp closely though

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm interested in how Sunsinger's Radiance would work in PvP. The extra grenades could be nice.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Man, getting the logo to be the right size is annoying. Anyway, there it is. Classing the OP up a bit with official logo art.

Looks like Bungie.net is up again, so I'll let in the pending requests. Then I'm coming online to run the daily (and hit the Crucible).

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I need to start doing Nightfalls at the Start of the week.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Does anybody wanna do the 26 Weekly before bed? FrankAustin on PSN.

• KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    @Croaker I've done it like ten times this week, but I'm down for another go! Sent you a friend invite.

Finally have a choice of Exotic weapon bounties. Juju, Invective, or Thorn?

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I barely PVP but nothing was ever as satisfying as Titan Smashing a Hunter in the midst of Arc Blading.

In fact Titan Smash is about the only thing I dig about PVP*. I might go 1-10, but the moment that bar turns gold I become Death, Destroyer of Worlds.

*Okay, the time I Tiger Knee'd a Warlock in mid air just as he was about to super was pretty cool too but I couldn't pull that off again if I tried.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'm interested in how Sunsinger's Radiance would work in PvP. The extra grenades could be nice.

The self resurrect is my favorite part. People don't expect it, especially because you can delay it until their backs are turned. The other parts of radiance are solid too. It turns your melee into a 1 hit kill. It depends on your stats, but it's possible to get to the point where you can throw grenades non stop while in radiance. You can either throw out a lot of damage, or block off halls/doors for a long ass time.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Anyone wanna help me murder Xyor the Unwed? I'm on PS4.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

The Inventive is a full-auto Shotgun with incredibly long range for a shotgun.

The Thorn is a Hand Cannon with near Scout Rifle level range that puts a DoT on targets (which also prevents shields from regening while active) and pierces through enemies.

The Bad Juju is a dirty Pulse Rifle.

vagrant_winds on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    like it's so self evident that arc blade is far and away the best, dunno how you would even argue that anything other than sunsinging has anywhere near the utility

Last week it was self evident that titan striker was overpowered because they had options, they had tonnes of OHKs, they had shields, incredible grenades, twitch triggered massive super that goes through walls....

I don't think we've had long enough to determine what is overpowered. At least part of the problem is surprise and novelty.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The difference between blade dancer and other supers is that blade dancer doesn't require them to be grouped up closely in order to kill them all. Even if a team is relatively spaced your odds of taken them all out with that one super are pretty high.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Getting your punch back fast to get the fire shield is pretty clutch as well. I deck my sunsinger out with two grenades and all the discipline I can find so that when I pop my super I can just fill a room with glowing suns of death.

edited September 2014

The Inventive is a full-auto Shotgun with incredibly long range for a shotgun.

The Thorn is a Hand Cannon with near Scout Rifle level range that puts a DoT on targets (which also prevents shields from regening while active) and pierces through enemies.

The Bad Juju is a dirty Pulse Rifle.

The internet in general seems to hate them all. I think I'll go Thorn, because "why not".

Houn on
    Every class except my class is OP

I saw a dude go 42 and 10 with thorn.

Once the DoT gets enabled it seems to wreck faces.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Blade dancing while strong is not impossible to kill. Where as titans and warlocks with their invincibilities when they come knocking you're already dead.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The difference between blade dancer and other supers is that blade dancer doesn't require them to be grouped up closely in order to kill them all. Even if a team is relatively spaced your odds of taken them all out with that one super are pretty high.

Perhaps, but you have to use AB proactively. Using it reactively has you standing around like a chump getting mowed down in the middle of a room; damage resistance or no. That's a pretty significant difference. And the other classes have a few options that the old BD does not.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I just had the same choice as Houn, but went Juju because I use pulse rifles in PvE. I may also be an idiot. I hope the vague exotic weapon fix they talked about makes it a decent choice in the long run.

Preacher wrote: »
    Blade dancing while strong is not impossible to kill. Where as titans and warlocks with their invincibilities when they come knocking you're already dead.

Basically this.

Sure, you might be able to kill with more flexibility with the arc blade, but you've also got a lot longer to be shut down (by another super, heavy weapons, grenades, sniper rifles, focused fire, double jumps etc...) it's pretty much the definition of higher risk, higher reward. And what are you going to do the rest of the time as a blade dancer? Hide? (Yes.)

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Basically this.

Sure, you might be able to kill with more flexibility with the arc blade, but you've also got a lot longer to be shut down (by another super, heavy weapons, grenades, sniper rifles, focused fire, double jumps etc...) it's pretty much the definition of higher risk, higher reward. And what are you going to do the rest of the time as a blade dancer? Hide? (Yes.)
    I press R1 just before it ends to squeak out one more invisibility out of it. Then I stalk my next kill after it. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular

That's how you know it's an mmo.

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I don't know if hunters are 'imbalanced' but arc blade is pretty clearly the best PvP super, followed maybe by sunsinging.

Every other super requires it to be activated at the right time, and will only ever get more than one kill if you save it for exactly the right moment. Saving supers is bad because it means you aren't generating a new super.

Arc Blade will get 2 kills if you activate it at when 2 players are in your general vicinity. I just played a game where a guy blade danced straight up to a pike shooting him head on with pike beamz, while I was rocketing him with an interceptor. He got the pike but didn't get me, even the he was able to arc into cover to avoid my rockets.

Arc Blade requires it to be activated at the right time. Both hunter specials are the most timing sensitive, because you cannot activate them in mid fight, as neither gives you shield regen, so you need to activate them 5 seconds, but hopefully not more than 10 seconds before you need them, as opposed to just Fisting midfight to turn a loss into a win. Fist is basically always worth two "kills" because you can use it as an "IWIN" button. I don't have a problem with that, but it just means you cannot beat a striker while their super is up barring extended range or radically outplaying them.

If you're losing to arc blades in a vehicle, you screwed up. Call me vain, but if me and a buddy were in two vehicles, against a lone guy with only melee attacks and we lost, I wouldn't complain on the internet, I'd make a blood pact to never tell anyone about it.

That said, videos incoming. No one has to take my word for it, I'll upload clips of both me completely shitting on arc bladers and screwing up myself and dying without doing a point of damage.
    Jakorian wrote: »

That's how you know it's an mmo.

Also because the hardcore raiders have the best PVP gear because reasons.

I just kinda assumed at some point in the genre, there would be some guy who actually both wanted and knew how to make PVP an equally rewarding activity in terms of loot.

programjunkie on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Got my Titan to 20. Put on 1 exotic, 2 purples, and 1 blue and hit light level 25 right away. Decrypted a bunch of green and blue engrams I had been collecting while leveling. Ended up with a purple gauntlet which replaced that blue I had and a purple fusion rifle. Good start to my Titan.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Thorn is a fun weapon and it starts to shine with upgrades, but the clip size, ROF, and reload speed are painful to deal with. I think its a fun weapon, but I'm also looking forward to whatever changes show up in the patch.

Its perfectly usable right now though.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
This discussion has been closed.