As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I'm getting an iPhone 6 soon, but I'm not sure what route to take. I'm going to use T-Mobile in some fashion (don't want a contract), and next week I'll be able to afford to get it unlocked (through my friend's Apple discount) and get a plan. But I wasn't aware that paying the balance of the phone was a thing now. Once you pay the balance of the phone, does it become yours as if it were an unlocked phone from the start? The only details I've seen (canceling the 2-year payment plan means you pay the rest of the balance) seem to imply that I would get to take the phone to any carrier I'd like, as long as I pay the balance. The lower up-front cost has me tempted, but I'd feel better paying the whole cost of the phone.

Also, I'm on an 8 GB iPhone 4, and I have 1.5 GB available on it right now (no personal music on there, never listened to it). Would it still be worth it to get the 64 GB iPhone 6 (resell value?), or might I be able to get by with 16 GB?

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I carry my phone in the left back pocket all the time. You just take it out when you sit down. My front pockets keep my keys and money clip, neither of which I want around the screen of my phone.

Left front pocket: phone. Right front pocket: wallet and keys.

It helps that I don't have many keys and a slim wallet.

I would just feel super anxious all the time if I kept my phone in my back pocket, partly because of the chance of pickpockets, but mostly because I've seen a bunch of people sending off phones where the screens got broken when it was in their back pockets.

One guy even tore into me once after a repairer said they wouldn't cover his butt-broken screen under warranty and it'd be $90 to replace the screen. He was yelling at me as if it was my fault, so I asked him if he held me personally responsible for the decision of someone in another state entirely to not repair his phone under warranty.

He said yes.

He followed up by asking me if I wanted him to come in, smash my face in and take all our phones.

I responded by hanging up on him mid-rant.

He never did come in to pick up his phone.

I may have told that story before. It is because I really enjoy telling that story.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    WHY WOULD THE KEYS TOUCH THE WALLET?

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Left front, wallet (machine era brass slim wallet) right pocket cash, keys on belt loop thanks to fancy kickstarter keychain, phone in back right pocket.

I should take a photo of my jeans.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Left front, wallet (machine era brass slim wallet) right pocket cash, keys on belt loop thanks to fancy kickstarter keychain, phone in back right pocket.

I should take a photo of my jeans.

Why is your cash not in your wallet?

Also for me it's phone in front right pocket, pocket knife in front left, keys hanging from belt loop, wallet in back right.
    Fake edit: wait, I no longer carry my keys on one big loop thing, I just keep the one car key in the pocket with my knife and the rest of my keys stay at home.

JtgVX0H.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    left front phone and key fob

back left wallet

right front receipts and loose cash

back right UNDEFINED

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have keys in the left and wallet and phone in the right.

Things in the back pocket is weird.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Not keeping the wallet in the back pocket is weird to me, but then I realize that I'm just a country boy from Texas while you're a city boy from somewhere in Australia so obviously things are different.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I keep my wallet in my bag

but I am a student and my bag is more like a purse so

putting your phone with your keys or in your back pocket is weird

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Keys front right, phone front left, wallet back right, nothing back left.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    lol

tried breaking my zune HD out of storage but I can't install the software to sync it on my desktop because .Net framework 2.0 does not exist as far as windows 8 is concerned.

So that's cool.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    .Net 3.5 should include all the necessary 2.0 runtimes and libraries.

Edit: Also I sit on my Nexus 5 when it's in my left back pocket all the time. In certain chairs and pants combos it is uncomfortable but in most cases I don't even notice it.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
    Kadith wrote: »
    .Net 3.5 should include all the necessary 2.0 runtimes and libraries.

Edit: Also I sit on my Nexus 5 when it's in my left back pocket all the time. In certain chairs and pants combos it is uncomfortable but in most cases I don't even notice it.

Windows 8 has 4.5

Which means it should have all the necessary previous runtimes and libraries. Which means that it refuses to install 3.5

Which means that shitty old programs that require 3.5 completely shit the bed when 3.5 absolutely HAS to be installed and it is impossible to do it manually, I've tried like 5 different ways at this point. None of them work.

I made a thread in the tech tavern and 3 people looked at it and nobody had a solution. Before it was the DS4Tool (I found another program that works fine, I think) and now it is software that I need in order to shuffle music around my stupid old player.

I do not get why I don't have the option of just not installing 3.5, since all the stuff should already be there.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Also keys and wallet left pocket, phone right pocket. Nothing in the back pocket

WHY WOULD THE KEYS TOUCH THE WALLET?

Because it balances out that way. I have two keys and a key-shaped flash drive. That and my wallet work out around the same size as my phone in my other pocket or do you not believe in balancing pocket contents Blake

Also if we are talking back pockets, handkerchiefs. One on the left, one on the right. I have a system*.

* Note that this is not the system.

On a completely different topic, I am so far enjoying Windows 10. It's flatter and has nicer animations.

Also Winkey+Tab is properly useful now.

Virtual desktops need some work, though. Everything from every desktop seems to show up on the taskbar. And Alt+Tab shows everything from every desktop. It seems like there are very few standard virtual desktop features implemented here.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I try and don't have anything in my pockets, because it looks stupid. While at work and not in my office I usually have my phone in the front right and key (fob) in the front left.

You people live in a world of madness!

I wouldn't mind getting one of those key things that folds everything so it is neat and parallel.

But at the same time I need to good bottle opener on my phone,and probably a way to detach the car fob.

Some one make this on kickstarter for me.

edited October 2014
    The main reason I leave my wallet and phone in the same pocket is that they can't scratch each other.

Blake T on
    Ah. I have one of these things from Dosh, so I don't need to worry about scratching my wallet.

Come to think of it, though, even when I had a leather wallet and three times as many keys in my pocket, I didn't get scratches on my wallet.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Keys n wallet right pocket
    Phone left pocket

However I live in city and thus do not have big bulky car keys
    I just have 3 small keys, a beer opener, and a tiny USB drive

If I has big bulky car keys might be different...

Also my wallet is a Slimmy wallet thus it is slim

Nothing that I've ever put in my butt pocket easily stays there, like even when I put some paper

My butt just makes it fall out

poo
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Headphones also left pocket obviously

poo
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Keys in left pocket (headphones if I'm using earbuds that day)
    Phone in right pocket
    wallet in back left pocket
    if I'm going out to the bar then epi-pen in left pocket as well

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    how could anyone NOT arrange themselves that way

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Phone left pocket wallet right

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    What about a phone wbich can be your keys and wallet

*Loses phone*

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Keys + chapstick in left pocket, wallet in right, phone in back left, and a small coin purse in my back right. And my Fitbit in the mini pocket above the right one.

Apparently, I maximize the use of my pockets. When I get my Scottevest jacket, I'll be carrying all the things.

工事中
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I always keep my phone in my left pocket by itself. Then keys in the right with any other small things I need to carry. Wallet in the back right pocket. I generally leave the back left pocket unfilled.

My back be damned, there just isn't room for my wallet in the front.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    You people and your pockets that can hold things.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »

http://www.scottevest.com/

工事中
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »

http://www.scottevest.com/

Good grief, they even do boxers with pockets.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Phone and wallet in left front, like was said earlier, they can't scratch each other. Keys, pocket knife, work badge in right front.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Keys and wallet in left front, phone in right front.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    If I am using a jacket (as I do most of the time) Wallet in jacket inner pocket, keys in jacket outer pocket, ipod in left front pocket, phone in belt holster on right side.

If I am not using using a jacket, Wallet in right front pocket, keys on top of wallet, ipod in left front pocket, phone in belt holster on right side.

If I am using cargo shorts, Wallet in right side pocket, keys in right front pocket, ipod in left side pocket, phone in belt holster on right side.

I do like a jacket that has an inner pocket. It feels pretty cool reaching in there to grab something

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I am addicted to widgets

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Re: bending; for what it's worth, one of the places doing actual measurements of this stuff pointed out that the amount of force they needed to bend an iphone is the same as the amount of force needed to snap four normal pencils at once.

Which is a fair amount when you're using your hands, but I can exert a _heck_ of a lot more force with my legs than with my fingers, which is why I think sitting down could accidentally bend something if it ends up the wrong way round in a pocket.

(also, because of where the weak spot is, it's easiest to bend an iphone if you press on it just below the volume button, which happens to be where your thumbs end up if you're trying to bend it with two hands at once; if you press evenly in the center, it's a lot stronger).

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Not keeping the wallet in the back pocket is weird to me, but then I realize that I'm just a country boy from Texas while you're a city boy from somewhere in Australia so obviously things are different.

Nah I am from the same city as Blake and I keep my wallet in my back right pocket. I have a very slim wallet though. Keys and change in front left pocket, phone in front right pocket.

This discussion has been closed.