As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    htc one m8 is pretty sweet, the second gen moto x came out recently, there's also the lg g3

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    My phone seems to be finally gone. It was a samsung galaxy nexus and I'm pretty sure it went through literal phone hell - including getting soaked by accidental drops in water, falling from my hands countless times, and flying off the roof of my car while I was going 70km/h.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Anyway.

I'm thinking galaxy s5. I'm pretty impressed with samsung after this last phone, and I'm not keen on iphones. Not sure which other android devices I'd go for.

Wife and I made the same leap (from a Galaxy to an s5), you'll love it.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Android users

I'm gonna need to hear about Twitter clients, and why you use the ones you do

I'm using Falcon, although due to Twitter's user token limit you have to go through a little extra configuration. It's not terribly complicated, though.

工事中
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So, I don't own a cellphone. My cousin's husband just got this as a backup phone, and he's been gushing about it. Mostly for how good a deal it is. I know literally nothing about cellphones or how plans work or any of that, but that price seems pretty great unless i'm missing some downsides.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yo shoutouts to default twitter client

actually the only reason I have this is so I can test to see if feeds I set up client websites actually work, don't really use it for anything

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't use Twitter enough to use a third party client.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I really dislike Samsung mobile products

It isn't entirely a justifiable dislike, save for their tablet line, but eeehh

Why go for an s5 when you could get a nexus 6 and end up paying like 400 dollars less for not having a subsidized contract

Plus you get android updates more or less when they release, rather than however many months it takes Samsung to adjust their damn touchwiz

All that said Samsung Kies is preeeetty slick and works really well.

Cilla Black on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    htc one m8 is pretty sweet, the second gen moto x came out recently, there's also the lg g3

if you can get a OnePlus One invite, that Android has been wowing quite a few of my friends. almost making me regret jumping on the HTC One M8.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i tried to do the multiple twitter accounts thing and hmm nope not enough wisdom to share to fill even one account

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    My phone seems to be finally gone. It was a samsung galaxy nexus and I'm pretty sure it went through literal phone hell - including getting soaked by accidental drops in water, falling from my hands countless times, and flying off the roof of my car while I was going 70km/h.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Anyway.

I'm thinking galaxy s5. I'm pretty impressed with samsung after this last phone, and I'm not keen on iphones. Not sure which other android devices I'd go for.

Due to the fact that they have the best waterproofing, I would recommend you the Sony xperia line of phones.

And maybe a case.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

if you can get a OnePlus One invite, that Android has been wowing quite a few of my friends. almost making me regret jumping on the HTC One M8.

you should be able to flash your m8 with cyanogen mod (which is what the OnePlus One is running)?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i tried to do the multiple twitter accounts thing and hmm nope not enough wisdom to share to fill even one account

I have five

my stupid dork one with dumb stuff (smarthero)

my "professional" one with less dumb stuff and more "content"

my car's twitter account

the seplusplus account

awful_white_man (retired)

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    What does your car say

Dan you are such a nerd

agreed!

I did it using Automatic and IFTT

There are actual practical uses for it, like I have it log my driving to a google spreadsheet for tracking milage performance, and could theoretically used it now for tracking milage when visiting clients!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    agreed!

There are actual practical uses for it, like I have it log my driving to a google spreadsheet for tracking milage performance, and could theoretically used it now for tracking milage when visiting clients!

You could also just use the trip computer in your car.

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Man, fuck the LG G3.

Buttons on the back like that are bullshit and super uncomfortable.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Man, fuck the LG G3.

I have a g2

It is fine after a while.

agreed!

that would require keeping track

this all happens automatically

Man, fuck the LG G3.

Yeah it's really dumb

That screen though...

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    HTC One is best, never regret

also I use Falcon Pro, which I'm not even sure you can get anymore, since Twitter went on a rampage and tried to kill all twit clients

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    The One is a great phone, mechanically

But man do I hate the form factor and holding it in my hand

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    That's a thing I do not understand.

The One M7 is a goddamn beautiful thing and I love holding it.

I like the look of the m8 a bit less

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    It's ugly

Whenever I receive replacement phones at work and get a One next to stuff like the S3 and iphone 5 it stands out so much more

Just not an attractive phone at all to me.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    So is anyone else running the yosemite betas?

I have 2 questions!

Did the new number four beta cover that latest 'ix vulnerability that was discovered?

Also should I be able to get green texts to my phone now or has that not been implemented yet?

afaik:

yes and no

Googling around led me to this :

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-send-text-messages-make-phone-calls-with-mac-os-x-yosemite/

Posted mostly for my self for when I come home.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    HTC One is best, never regret

also I use Falcon Pro, which I'm not even sure you can get anymore, since Twitter went on a rampage and tried to kill all twit clients

You can, you just have to side load the app and generate your own user token (really easy to do).

工事中
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    agreed!

Pressing the button on the steering wheel/column stalk is too much effort?

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hello tech thread!

I am considering reducing my data plan to save some money but am having trouble figuring out how to get windows data sense to do what I want it to to help me cut down

You can set a limit and track usage, but the limit counts wi-fi data, which is useless and I can't figure out a way to only count wireless usage

Does anybody know of a third party app or tool that could help me out? or am I missing something obvious?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    re: phone chat
    I've got a Moto X and it may be one of my favorite phones.
    It's quick, has a nice screen size, doesn't chow down on battery, and so far has withstood multiple drops.
    The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is expandable storage.
    I've got tons of micro SD cards! Let me put one in you!

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hello tech thread!

I am considering reducing my data plan to save some money but am having trouble figuring out how to get windows data sense to do what I want it to to help me cut down

You can set a limit and track usage, but the limit counts wi-fi data, which is useless and I can't figure out a way to only count wireless usage

Does anybody know of a third party app or tool that could help me out? or am I missing something obvious?

Your account with your carrier will probably track it separately, I know t-mobile and att do at least. Doesn't help with individual apps though if that's what you were looking for.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular

Why go for an s5 when you could get a nexus 6 and end up paying like 400 dollars less for not having a subsidized contract

Plus you get android updates more or less when they release, rather than however many months it takes Samsung to adjust their damn touchwiz

I've had Samsung phones for the last few phones, and I like them much better than their tablets. (Mainly because they don't use stupid proprietary chargers.) I hate Kies, though.

And I usually flash a custom rom on it when I get tired of waiting for an update. There tends to be a pretty good selection for Samsung phones, or at least their flagships. Even my Fascinate; I had that thing running everything from Froyo to Jelly Bean.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Tech Thread, can you help me out.
    One of my family members has an iPad and recently updated to iOS 8.0.2. This added a bunch of apps, like Podcasts, Tips, etc that are essentially useless to her since she will never engage with that sort of stuff.

These apps apparently cannot be removed by any means.
    Why? And/or since I do not normally use Apple products am I missing something. Is there a workaround for removing this stuff?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    agreed!

Pressing the button on the steering wheel/column stalk is too much effort?

ask yourself a question: why do you care?

8406wWN.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

This is the dirtiest lie that has ever been told.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    So is anyone else running the yosemite betas?

I have 2 questions!

Did the new number four beta cover that latest 'ix vulnerability that was discovered?

Also should I be able to get green texts to my phone now or has that not been implemented yet?

afaik:

yes and no

Googling around led me to this :

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-send-text-messages-make-phone-calls-with-mac-os-x-yosemite/

Posted mostly for my self for when I come home.

My settings are already as such yet I've not received a text on my computer

>_>

poo
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Snowbear wrote: »
    One of my family members has an iPad and recently updated to iOS 8.0.2. This added a bunch of apps, like Podcasts, Tips, etc that are essentially useless to her since she will never engage with that sort of stuff.

Why? And/or since I do not normally use Apple products am I missing something. Is there a workaround for removing this stuff?
    I believe the answer is "because Apple decided everyone should use them."

SirToasty wrote: »

This is the dirtiest lie that has ever been told.

i almost spit out my coffee

Snowbear wrote: »

welcome to your walled garden.

create a folder called Extras or Shit or Dumb and just throw them all in there.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Dumb is correct

8EVmPzM.jpg
This discussion has been closed.