As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I found a USB floppy disk drive in a cabinet at work. I immediately hooked it up to my work computer because of course I did.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Also, the builtin apps aren't all stuck there; my iphone came with "apple excel" and "apple word" and "apple powerpoint" (or whatever they're actually called) -- those ones you _can_ remove, and those were taking up a lot of space.

Question: I left garageband and imovie on there in case I ever get around to playing around with them -- does anyone know if they're any good (on a phone? I've used imovie on a mac and it's nice for very basic chopping-out-highlights, at least, but on a phone, I dunno if the UI will just get in the way too much)

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    So is anyone else running the yosemite betas?

I have 2 questions!

Did the new number four beta cover that latest 'ix vulnerability that was discovered?

Also should I be able to get green texts to my phone now or has that not been implemented yet?

afaik:

yes and no

Googling around led me to this :

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-send-text-messages-make-phone-calls-with-mac-os-x-yosemite/

Posted mostly for my self for when I come home.

My settings are already as such yet I've not received a text on my computer

>_>
    Really?

Maybe texts aren't working but I set it up and phone calls definitely worked for me.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I don't use it regularly or anything but anytime I've had to back up stuff for customers at work Kies has worked like a charm.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    agreed!

I did it using Automatic and IFTT

There are actual practical uses for it, like I have it log my driving to a google spreadsheet for tracking milage performance, and could theoretically used it now for tracking milage when visiting clients!

You could also just use the trip computer in your car.

that would require keeping track

this all happens automatically

Pressing the button on the steering wheel/column stalk is too much effort?

yes

also remembering to do so every time it occurs to me to track it

vs a thing that does it with zero user interaction beyond "turnon ignition"

Also, yes there are a handful of apps that are baked into iOS

just make a folder called  and drop them all in there and forget about them the end

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I was recently talking about pre-loaded apps with my dad and mentioned how bad Verizon is about loading up their Android phones with crapware when he complained about Apple doing the same thing. I was really confused until he started listing off the default apps included on every iPhone.

He ... doesn't like technology. The only reason he stopped using his old Motorola StarTac phone is because it didn't have GPS and Verizon forced him to upgrade.

工事中
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

just make a folder called  and drop them all in there and forget about them the end

You just made me realize I could rename folders on my iPhone with the emoticon keyboard. I have a folder now that is named with just a tiny picture of a cartoon ghost!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a lot of self doubt about which iPhone I want still. the Lumia is legitimately too big with a case. but i still love the screen size.

maybe i just need baggier pants

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Or a purse.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Or you could attach it to your neck like flava flav would do if he ever moved to the twenty first century.

You just made me realize I could rename folders on my iPhone with the emoticon keyboard. I have a folder now that is named with just a tiny picture of a cartoon ghost!

all of my car-related apps are in a folder called qmWtV7j.png

Yo fuckin android nerds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6kWgocsvio

lemme know how this is

I just relabelled all of my folders to symbols.

Also I noticed there are Gay and lesbian emoticons now as well!

oh

instead of  for the stock apps

qawzNEI.png

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I'll have to snowball with @DHS Odium and let you know how it goes

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited October 2014
    Yo fuckin android nerds

lemme know how this is

Oh yeah, I meant to install this. Thanks for reminding me!

Edit: Ok, the animated yeti face in the bubble is pretty damn cute.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    oh

instead of  for the stock apps

qawzNEI.png

The toilet icon is a strong second choice.

Artreus wrote: »

He's into it

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

I'm using it now too. I like it!

Awriiiight

Okay I kinda wish it took the place of chat heads with Facebook Messenger because I like being able to open Messenger over the top of other apps.

I saw also hoping it would consolidate my conversations rather than just notifying me. My phone already does that.

The yeti head is still cute though.

I'll bug Derek to install it and try it this weekend

Or did he end up with a garbage windows phone

He's got some kind of Galaxy variant. Should work fine.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    agreed!

I did it using Automatic and IFTT

There are actual practical uses for it, like I have it log my driving to a google spreadsheet for tracking milage performance, and could theoretically used it now for tracking milage when visiting clients!

You could also just use the trip computer in your car.

that would require keeping track

this all happens automatically

Pressing the button on the steering wheel/column stalk is too much effort?

ask yourself a question: why do you care?

It's highly likely that I am in fact a dick. I will henceforth endeavour to not be a dick.

TankHammer wrote: »
    Okay I kinda wish it took the place of chat heads with Facebook Messenger because I like being able to open Messenger over the top of other apps.

I saw also hoping it would consolidate my conversations rather than just notifying me. My phone already does that.

The yeti head is still cute though.

Yeah, same. It's also annoying with notification mirroring apps like Pushbullet because it doubles up - one each app. :\

I think it's really useful if you have a bunch of different messaging apps so you only have to open one app to see everything at once.

工事中
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Yo fuckin android nerds

lemme know how this is

Just installed it. First thing that is weird is that you can't move the little tab that stays on your screen. Beta though, that would be pretty easy to add in later I would think. Once I get some messages I'll let you know what that's like.

SirToasty wrote: »
    Yo fuckin android nerds

lemme know how this is

Just installed it. First thing that is weird is that you can't move the little tab that stays on your screen. Beta though, that would be pretty easy to add in later I would think. Once I get some messages I'll let you know what that's like.

I can move the tab all over the place. Just have to stick it to the left or right side.

edited October 2014
    Yo fuckin android nerds

lemme know how this is

I can move the tab all over the place. Just have to stick it to the left or right side.

Oh there we go. I was trying to move it while it was hidden like the multi-window tab on my S4. Yeah it moves easily similar to Facebook Messenger chat heads.

e: I think I'd like this if it replied directly from the Snowball app. Seems like this is just a disjointed notification center that only shows messages.

SirToasty on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Oh man, the Play Store 5.0 APK leaked. The little animation when you pull out the nav menu is amazing.

edited October 2014
    Had my friend send me several messages in a row through Facebook Messenger and SMS. Snowball didn't catch the facebook messages for some reason but it got both of the texts. This is odd since he had just sent me message through facebook that did show up.

e: Can't get the new Play Store apk to install. First download just says "Can't open file". The next one gets to the permissions page but the Install button does nothing. I've got the right stuff checked in my settings I'm pretty sure. I haven't had trouble opening .apk files from other place before.

SirToasty on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

No he got a ZTE nubia mini 5s, which I'd never heard of before

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Had my friend send me several messages in a row through Facebook Messenger and SMS. Snowball didn't catch the facebook messages for some reason but it got both of the texts. This is odd since he had just sent me message through facebook that did show up.

e: Can't get the new Play Store apk to install. First download just says "Can't open file". The next one gets to the permissions page but the Install button does nothing. I've got the right stuff checked in my settings I'm pretty sure. I haven't had trouble opening .apk files from other place before.

I used the first link here and it installed fine on my N5.

Interesting, the Snowball tab was blocking me from pressing the Install button despite it being near the top of the screen. Getting rid of the tab allowed me to press the button. So there's an odd bug with Snowball for ya.

No he got a ZTE nubia mini 5s, which I'd never heard of before

he probably got it out a gumball machine

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Kids we have a decision to make about whether I get a regular six next week or a Moto X

T4CT wrote: »
    Kids we have a decision to make about whether I get a regular six next week or a Moto X

I like my regular six. Not sure if that helps.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    My regular six is fucking baller

Also I just used a new (to me) paper scanner app and it was the God damn future.

It knows! It knows where the paper is! It's crazy!

This discussion has been closed.