As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Endless] Legend and Space - Endless Space 2 is out! Freebies on Games2gether. See page 16

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Man, the Vaulters' basic unit is kind of crappy. Roaming beasts keep shattering my exploration armies. I guess I should invest in pacifying something with decent melee presence and making units from it ASAP next time or actually spend techs in some early unit upgrading or something.

Go into the army screen and upgrade their designs. Better weapons and armor make a HUGE freaking difference in this game. You can then upgrade existing units that are in your territory, if you have the resources free.

I was not aware you could upgrade non-hero units.

Guess this explains why I was floating a metric ass load of resources.

When you select an army underneath the pictures of them on the right of the screen is a retrofit button. Tells you how much it'll cost and the get the new gear instantly.

Also i've got two days off work so lots of time to play this.

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Man, the Vaulters' basic unit is kind of crappy. Roaming beasts keep shattering my exploration armies. I guess I should invest in pacifying something with decent melee presence and making units from it ASAP next time or actually spend techs in some early unit upgrading or something.

... wait, what?

You aren't just completely annihilating all the things before they even do any real damage to you?

Not even close. Rumblers and ice wargs give no fucks and simply waltz through my arrows and crush some of my units because it takes two rounds of everyone (generally the exploration armies are two-three marines plus hero or so) shooting at one to kill each it, which means my exploration army, now probably left with one marine and one hero, has to head back home for reinforcements or die to the next encounter. Daemons and other ranged-slayers straight up murderize the shit out of me.

And of course the moment I send out my units at home base to reinforce the exploration army I get sieged by the ardent mages and everyone has to do the five turns back trek though all the foresty area. Friggin opportunists. I think I'm too used to Civ V, where each individual unit is relatively strong and the AI rarely bothers with attacking your cities with a serious attack unless they have a rather larger military presence. I need to get used to building more people in this game. It always feels like a waste of gears and Dust to build units when there's so many upgrades that need building, and it feels bleh to spend my valuable science points in getting somewhat better weapons and armor, until suddenly I need them desperately and it's too late.

Still, the fact that I spent most of the time I went to my friend's house playing this probably means it's a worthy purchase. The only question is do I care enough for having the Ice Wargs and that one hero to take a 25% price increase to the chin on the Founder version like he has?

...probably not, no. Classic it is.

IIRC, the starting Marine template only has a weapon and shield. Upgrading to include even just the tier 1 iron armor pieces makes a significant difference early on.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

... wait, what?

You aren't just completely annihilating all the things before they even do any real damage to you?

Not even close. Rumblers and ice wargs give no fucks and simply waltz through my arrows and crush some of my units because it takes two rounds of everyone (generally the exploration armies are two-three marines plus hero or so) shooting at one to kill each it, which means my exploration army, now probably left with one marine and one hero, has to head back home for reinforcements or die to the next encounter. Daemons and other ranged-slayers straight up murderize the shit out of me.

And of course the moment I send out my units at home base to reinforce the exploration army I get sieged by the ardent mages and everyone has to do the five turns back trek though all the foresty area. Friggin opportunists. I think I'm too used to Civ V, where each individual unit is relatively strong and the AI rarely bothers with attacking your cities with a serious attack unless they have a rather larger military presence. I need to get used to building more people in this game. It always feels like a waste of gears and Dust to build units when there's so many upgrades that need building, and it feels bleh to spend my valuable science points in getting somewhat better weapons and armor, until suddenly I need them desperately and it's too late.

Still, the fact that I spent most of the time I went to my friend's house playing this probably means it's a worthy purchase. The only question is do I care enough for having the Ice Wargs and that one hero to take a 25% price increase to the chin on the Founder version like he has?

IIRC, the starting Marine template only has a weapon and shield. Upgrading to include even just the tier 1 iron armor pieces makes a significant difference early on.

I'll keep that in mind. A little more survivavility could make all the difference, and I doubt it'll be a huge increase in gear costs.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

Go into the army screen and upgrade their designs. Better weapons and armor make a HUGE freaking difference in this game. You can then upgrade existing units that are in your territory, if you have the resources free.

can you explain that, I have seen the button but didnt know what it does

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

can you explain that, I have seen the button but didnt know what it does

So go to your military screen (fist, in the upper left). In the upper right, there'll be a bunch of existing unit types. Click on the one you want to upgrade. Then there's a button that gets activated while they're highlighted (sorry, don't have it booted up, so I'm not 100% sure where) which will take you to an edit screen. It'll bring up a close-up thing of the unit, with multiple slots to drop equipment - one for each hand, a helmet, armor, boots, and an accessory (or multiple accessories). You'll always have access to iron and dust ones, depending on what era you're in, and other types of armor if you've researched them. Once you've finished upgrading them (which will increase their recruitment cost), and save it, that will be the only "type" of that unit you can recruit. However, all existing versions of that type can be re-equipped instantly, only if they're in your territory, I think, by clicking the "retrofit" button or whatever it is when the army is selected on the main map.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    In Pre Disharmony Endless Space I usually ended up with a frigate/dreadnought with some guns/lasers and tons of HP/Armor to absorb damage coupled with tons of little ships loaded to the gills with missiles and nothing else.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

... wait, what?

I'll keep that in mind. A little more survivavility could make all the difference, and I doubt it'll be a huge increase in gear costs.

1) You might want to send 4 Marines on your scouting missions; the combined fire will make things die much faster and save you lots of troops in the long-run. Also, make sure you start out as far away from the enemy as possible (if there isn't a convenient ridgeline to hide behind). If you get into two combats in a row, make sure to put the wounded guy in the back behind everyone else.

2) Avoid daemons like the plague. They're really the only thing that'll 100%, guaranteed, mess you up in the early game. Everything else - even Ranged Killer Bos centaur cavalry - is doable.

2a) Make sure you focus-fire. The AI likes to assign your units to all shoot at different guys, and, unlike Civ, I don't think there's an attack or defense penalty as your units get whittled down, so a cavalry unit with 1 HP left still hits as hard as a cavalry unit with 100 HP.

2b) If you have to go after daemons, consider creating a new troop type based on the Marine chassis with regular bows; regular bows fire faster (IIRC; higher initiative) and have the Flyer Killer stat (bonus damage against flying units ... like daemons).

3) Research tier 1 titanium weapons (and armor + accessories if you have the time) and the ability to mine titanium. Make titanium your holy resource (use it like a luxury resource; requires spending 5 titanium per city). This gets you a huge science boost (+50%, IIRC) and unlocks teleportation between your cities and gives you +X00% titanium mining during the winter and ...

4) Your units (including Vaulter heroes) love to use items made out of your holy resource (the "Technolover" ability they have). Any bonus the item provides is increased by 50% - so, that +10 (or whatever) to attack from titanium crossbows instead turns into +15. +40 health turns into +60. Etc. HUGE force multiplier - Tier 1 titanium weapons are, largely, better for you than tier 3 iron, as long as you're using titanium as your holy resource. Don't be afraid of locking in your holy resource "too early" - you can change it every time it runs out just by using a different one. Of the early strategic resources, Titanium generally hits harder (more attack, more damage, more health) while Glassteel generally hits faster (a lot more initiative).

5) I generally have two lines of troops - named something like "Marines" and "Heavy Marines." The regular marines get the best iron weapon they can wield, the best iron shield, and the best iron breastplate (Dust weapons and armor later). Heavy Marines get holy resource weapons, shield, armor, and trinkets. Marines train a lot faster and cheaper, but Heavy Marines are absolute beasts so long as I can afford them. You can't upgrade from Marines to Heavy Marines once they're trained, but you can upgrade both unit types as you unlock new weapons (from Marine to Marine 2 and Heavy Marine to Heavy Marine 2, for instance). Good trinkets are iron rings (for +damage) and iron amulets (for +movement). My heroes usually pick up ... titanium? ... rings (for +vision).

6) Consider unlocking Dawn Officers sooner rather than later. They hit like a ton of bricks if you give them a good run up to the enemy (they hit better, and maybe harder?, for each square they move before attacking). Run them from one end of the battle map to the other to hit something, and then run away to hit again later. If the enemy is cooperating, you can actually have them bouncing back and forth between different enemies (e.g., charge into Centaur A on turn 1, then charge into Centaur B over there on turn 2, etc.).

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The problem I have with sending 4 marines is the amount of spent turns. It takes a pretty long time to get a full 4 marine army going, especially at the beginning. It hurts me to spend so many times sitting on my thumbs while the AI is taking every region around me like it was out of style.

Still, in this round I'm playing now I seem to be doing decently. I got Glassteel as my Holy resource because there were two Glassteel mines in my starting region so why not, and the dust bonus is a serious lifesaver in winter. Not having two Daemon villages in starting region did help. I'll keep in mind about actually getting Dawns and Tier 1 alchie weapons. Thanks for the tips!

Drascin on
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Oh man, this unit customisation is pretty cool. I first got into it out of necessity - Wild Walkers were trying to drown my streets in archers - but then I stayed a while longer because it was fun. It really affects the battles too. I haven't had so much fun thinking about my unit customisation and composition in a 4X since Gal Civ 2, and I think this version while less pretty is more thinky.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Oh man, this unit customisation is pretty cool. I first got into it out of necessity - Wild Walkers were trying to drown my streets in archers - but then I stayed a while longer because it was fun. It really affects the battles too. I haven't had so much fun thinking about my unit customisation and composition in a 4X since Gal Civ 2, and I think this version while less pretty is more thinky.

I only wish whatever armour you equipped also changed the look of your troops. I know the weapons change but it looks weird seeing my marines looking identical, even if one is in titanium and one is in glassteel.

So do people have a favourite faction. Mine is Vaulters.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Yeah, the main drawback in Early Access was that it was very possible to end up with impractical-to-build units if you were liberal with gear. That sounds like it is less true now.

In re: the Broken Lords, you're basically trying for dust-and-production or dust-and-science territories, not just dust, in the early game.

I really need to spend some more time with the Drakkhen pretending I'm playing the Disciples series and building up my doom stack, though, before I'm really in a position to wrap my head around the launch play environment.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    waiting patiently for 4pm PDT to come so I can get my endless legend key from IGN....

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Personally I like using Titanium weapons with Glassteel armor for my starting guys. The ability to go sooner can help a lot.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

I only wish whatever armour you equipped also changed the look of your troops. I know the weapons change but it looks weird seeing my marines looking identical, even if one is in titanium and one is in glassteel.

So do people have a favourite faction. Mine is Vaulters.

BDSM mages for me. I haven't played a whole lot with the others yet though.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    is there an easy way to tell what the different unit attributes actually do?when I was playing during the beta couldn't quite figure it out and it always frustrated me.

• Options
    Unfortunately, simplest way I've found is to equip it temporarily in design phase, then hover over it when it's on the list to the right.

• Options
    kaorti wrote: »
    is there an easy way to tell what the different unit attributes actually do?when I was playing during the beta couldn't quite figure it out and it always frustrated me.

You can see them in the unit designer and during battles. Getting to them could be a little easier, I agree.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I just finished a couple of games of Endless Space, and while it does a lot of things right on the empire management side of things it still feels like there's something missing. The two areas I feel something is lacking the most is the combat system, which feels oversimplified and the city-building aspect which tends to be so punishing in dust/happiness costs until late in the game that you can't really build up any system and the general lack of graphical feedback for your building up a planet/system. It's too bad, but the weak combat system and overly simplified ship design means I don't think it is going to have much staying power. Also, the AI's preference for doom stacks of multiple fleets and constant harassment with your systems even though they don't really stand a chance of winning at all, even through attrition means combat ends up becoming a chore/something to avoid, rather than something to look forward to.

Still, it sounds like Endless Legend might have a bit more potential to it and there's more character to the factions beyond the initial "thank you for choosing your side" segment at the beginning of the game.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Well. So, I brought my saves from my friend's house now that I'm the owner of Endless Legend Classic. Turns out that if you bring a started save with ice wargs over they remain there even if you don't have the Founder pack. Interesting, that. Well, let's continue my fumbling around. I just got a flow of new resources, red and salmon icons, that seem to make for ridiculously good weaponry.

Also, can someone give me a primer of what stockpiles are?

Drascin on
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    The vaulter quests are a little bit ridiculous. You have to know you're aiming for them pretty much from the start and do some really quite strange things. Honestly it's much harder than any other victory

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    @Drascin‌

Stockpiles are kind of the equivalent from Civ of having your city produce Science or Money.

Basically, they're expensive to make, but you can use them on the civ management screen to provide a huge, one-time boost to a specific city's production.

So you can make, for instance, a National Academy (Science stockpile). Then, when you activate it, you get 750 Science points. Or you can make an ... industrial sector? ... that, that when activated, adds 750 production points to a city.

• Options
    Actually, is there a general primer on this game somewhere? I feel like I could really get lost in it, if I could just find purchase somewhere. Today's newspost seems apt.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Starting to learn this game in the middle of a working week was an awful, awful idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Actually, is there a general primer on this game somewhere? I feel like I could really get lost in it, if I could just find purchase somewhere. Today's newspost seems apt.

Honestly, have you tried the tutorial? It's pretty solid as a way to dip your toes in and get the lay of the land.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The Wild Walkers can be a good starting faction. Their ability, The Sharing, allows them to see the location of enemy armies in the fog of war. If the Wild Walkers have revealed that area of the map they can see which faction the army is from.

This really allows you to get the most out of your armies, allowing you some flexibility. It's one of the easier faction abilities to utilize properly and it's nice and powerful.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    The Wild Walkers can be a good starting faction. Their ability, The Sharing, allows them to see the location of enemy armies in the fog of war. If the Wild Walkers have revealed that area of the map they can see which faction the army is from.

This really allows you to get the most out of your armies, allowing you some flexibility. It's one of the easier faction abilities to utilize properly and it's nice and powerful.

Plus I mean bonus production is really nice and flexible as well.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »

That's the one I started with, as well. Getting extra production from forests is also a huge early-game boost, because it allows you to have forests which generate decent amounts of two of the resources you most need early-game: food and industry.

• Options
    I feel the largest thematic kinship with the Broken Lords, and the Ardent Mages look really cool. Both of them have abilities where I don't even know how to begin.
    Jragghen wrote: »

Honestly, have you tried the tutorial? It's pretty solid as a way to dip your toes in and get the lay of the land.

I'm looking for something just a little bit deeper in. I played Endless space, so I have an Idea about FIDS, the basic interface etc. What's stumping me is figuring out what I ought to be doing on a given turn, how to build a strategy, and how to adapt it to a given race.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Legends finished downloading over night. I really wanted to call in sick today.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Things I've learned in my first couple games (both as Necrophage):

-Get proliferators as soon as you can. AS SOON AS YOU CAN! Put one in each squad you're gonna run. In each battle, make sure they hit each enemy at least once. If you win the battle, each enemy you've attacked with a proliferator will reward you with a forager. Revel in your multitude.

-Unit tax got you down what with your thousands of foragers? Sell some! Make $Texas as you kill the world, and write it off on your taxes!

-Your proliferators can swell a squad well beyond your normal limit. Keep that in mind when moving them around. If you move a unit out of an over-full squad, it cannot rejoin.

-Don't forget your corpse stockpiles. They're in the empire menu. They are incredible for jump-starting new cities. It's like, 3 citizens right out the gate.

-Don't be afraid to sacrifice a citizen for happiness. If your war-engine is firing on all cylinders, chances are that expansion has gutted your happiness. Thankfully, your war-engine has also given you a ton of "food" stockpiles...that can be used to make citizens....that can be used to make happiness!

-Your quest hero is best served doing city management once you get him. If you're like me, the starting hero has been built towards wrecking minor factions and bringing home the bacon. Once Ka-Riss pops, I've usually scorched the earth around me already, leaving little for him to level up on. Thankfully, the quest-related skills he needs can be easily accessed from the faction tree of skills, and all of those are incredible for city management on the bottom, with awesome battlefield skills towards the end that you can use later when required to have him slash a few throats.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    played a couple games, started on easy to get the ropes then went to normal and have won them all. conquest is naturally the easiest victory, I frequently have a neighbor and with 2 extra units you can wipe them out with your basic hero. then go from there

broken lords feel really... broken? maybe it's only if you rig the map to desert, kinda like the pirates who were absoultely terrible in most situations and any multiplayer BUT you could make a 90% water map and coloznie the entire ocean. those ardent zealots are crazy too, stack all initiative and damage and nuke everything before they even get to move

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    I feel like every faction in this game has a "trick" they can leverage to become absolutely insane with the right execution.

Drakken and Roving Clans, though. They'll only really shine in multiplayer, I think. Their skills revolve around things which the AI largely do not care about. But I can see them ruling a human populated game with ease.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Drakken's diplomacy and vision stuff can actually be useful with the AI too. In particular sitting on decent influence and a strong army as the Drakken lets you basically snipe regions to your hearts content. You can delcare a war, immediately win the siege against an unprepared ally and then drag them back into an alliance in a few turns.

• Options
    Anyone getting much use out of the market? I rarely end up feeling like it's worth the tech to unlock. It's weird considering how essential heroes were in endless space, but I almost never bother getting heroes beyond the starting and eventually a quest hero.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I like the looks of the Draken. Are they a good faction to play?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    here's the trick to the roving clans: make a custom faction off their template and blitz people with horse archers. the only thing holding back the roving clans is that they cannot declare war, oddly enough. early glassteel longbow horse archers are the equivalent of a spartan impact rover rush

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I like the looks of the Draken. Are they a good faction to play?

I did my first game on them and it works out fine. They feel pretty easy to manage and their quest line is great fun while running you through a bunch of game mechanics.

• Options
    Anyone getting much use out of the market? I rarely end up feeling like it's worth the tech to unlock. It's weird considering how essential heroes were in endless space, but I almost never bother getting heroes beyond the starting and eventually a quest hero.

My first game, I found it a little useful for getting some of the resource requirements for getting a Wonder victory, since my production for one of the needed resources was relatively low.

Other than that, I guess it's an extra way to get some dust via selling excess resources.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    So I'm on maybe my 3rd full game, playing vaulters and I've noticed the game seems to crash a lot late game. Anyone else had issues with this?

• Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    I had that problem and it turns out it's a thing with AMD video cards on 64 bit systems. The fix is to go into properties for Endless Legend and on the betas tab opt into 32 bit content for 64 bit users. At least it worked for me, and that's assuming you have an AMD video card!