As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Endless] Legend and Space - Endless Space 2 is out! Freebies on Games2gether. See page 16

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    It's time to necro this thread since all the Amplitude stuff is on sale!

Is any of the Endless Legend DLC considered necessary if you still haven't made it through a playthrough of EL? For example the new Planetary Annihilation TITANS expansion apparently includes a lot of QoL improvements that actually improve the base game. Does any of the Endless Legend DLC include QoL improvements or is it just variations on gameplay and additional content?

EDIT: D'oh! Sale is over. Oh well, I'm still curious about the question if anyone knows the answer

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I haven't played the new shifters expac. But Shadows was great. Much better than Guardians. It added the espionage system and the new race built around it was really fun to play.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    There are rumblings that Endless Space 2 will go on Early Access.

EDIT - ...which compelled me to buy Shifters and start playing Endless Legend again. Legend is hands down my most favoritest 4X I've ever played, and because I played it before Space, I have an attachment to Auriga and am saddened with how things went down cannonically. Poor Mother Auriga :(

I couldn't get into Endless Space and Dungeon pisses me off, but I will happily dive in to Endless Space 2. With SEGA buying Amplitude games, I would kill for Total War Endless to watch all those wacky aliens fuck each other up.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    katorkatorkatorkator Registered User new member
    Heck yeah! Amplitude is having a contest for a community-created "Diplomatic Pacifist"-themed faction to be included in the game at launch. Head on over to their Games2Gether website to vote. Be sure to link your steam account to increase your vote strength.

Please consider my buddy's faction, "Champion's of a multi-race Empire". They are build around incorporating all of the minor factions (species) in the game (24 at launch). Many great sci-fi have some sort of strong peaceful republic/federation, and the Endless galaxy could use one too. Lots of great choices though, so best of luck to all!

• Options
    Endless Space 2 is out.

I normally don't play 4X, or Space games (I still haven't beaten Homeworld 2) but I adore Endless legend, so I picked it up.

The Dust must flow.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I'd love to hear how the early access Endless Space 2 is.

As much as I enjoyed Endless Legend, Endless Space was my favorite non Civ 4x I've played in a very very long time. I hope that ES2 is more of what made ES great. I would just buy in, but I've been burnt by early access a couple of times so I'm holding off. Even if this dev is batting really really well with me.

• Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    I think ES2 has taken some key points from EL and incorporated them. There are only 4 of 8 races available, and some features are still missing, as well as 4 of the 6 victory conditions, right now you can only win by domination or score after a set turn limit.

It is also only incorporating 3 of the desired 5 technology eras, and currently the tech tree feels a little weird to me, with influence techs taking a higher priority over planet-based specialization improvements, which were basic techs all races got in the original game and could improve upon with technology.

The interface remains slick as ever. The ship customization is even better looking than it was originally, and there are now individual weapons turrets. Heroes now have their own ships as well.

I am excited for future updates as they continue to iterate, I feel they are going to knock this one out of the park, my only worry, as ever, is MP synchronization, which has always remained an issue with their games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed I can't get a level 3 leader with +25 industry on system right out of the gate like I could in ES1 :(

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I hope Endless Legend 2 is about various races terraforming the dead Auriga.

Like Civ BE only, y'know. Good.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    I'm disappointed I can't get a level 3 leader with +25 industry on system right out of the gate like I could in ES1 :(

Haha, yeah, it seems like they've slowed down the startup in the game... but I feel like Cravers could just ruin someone's day if they find them early with it this way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    I picked this up last night and only played for a couple of hours. My feelings are still a little mixed. It seems like they just mashed up Endless Legend (which I didn't like that much) with Endless Space (which I loved) and didn't really add that much new in terms of mechanics. So far the biggest change is the political party system but it seems like it's just a way for you to purchase empire wide buffs in the form of laws. The buffs can be huge and sometimes rival parties will force laws to take effect but the system doesn't seem all that exciting really. Also the tech tree is really small now.

I haven't really played enough to give it a fair review yet though.

The new graphics are goddamned amazing though. I loved Endless Space enough so that just putting this graphics engine on top of the original Endless Space would have been enough for me. So far I do not regret my purchase but I wasn't blown out of my chair either.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I picked this up last night and only played for a couple of hours. My feelings are still a little mixed. It seems like they just mashed up Endless Legend (which I didn't like that much) with Endless Space (which I loved) and didn't really add that much new in terms of mechanics. So far the biggest change is the political party system but it seems like it's just a way for you to purchase empire wide buffs in the form of laws. The buffs can be huge and sometimes rival parties will force laws to take effect but the system doesn't seem all that exciting really. Also the tech tree is really small now.

The new graphics are goddamned amazing though. I loved Endless Space enough so that just putting this graphics engine on top of the original Endless Space would have been enough for me. So far I do not regret my purchase but I wasn't blown out of my chair either.

What race did you choose?

Wind Walkers and Vaulters are the closest to vanilla races, all the others come with trickier mechanics to manage.

Keep in mind you don't need to research everything, I usually skip most of the diplomatic techs and trade for them off of the Roving Clans or Dragonmen.

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »

What race did you choose?

Wind Walkers and Vaulters are the closest to vanilla races, all the others come with trickier mechanics to manage.

Keep in mind you don't need to research everything, I usually skip most of the diplomatic techs and trade for them off of the Roving Clans or Dragonmen.

In Endless Legends? I tried a bunch of races (I don't have all the expansions) but I hated the art style and found combat to be dull and plodding. I don't begrudge anyone for liking it but it just wasn't for me.

For ES2, I played Sophons. They are adorable in this version!

• Options
    Oh that's a shame, I really dig the aesthetic in Legend.

I auto combat 95% of the time, unless things are going to be super close and I don't want to risk it

I have not played Endless Space, I never played MoO when I was a kid but I need to sit down and come to grips with it.

• Options
    Endless Space 2 translates fairly well from Endless Legend. ES2 is still early access though, they have 4 more races to add, 2 full technology eras(they're currently operating on 3 condensed eras), as well as multiple missing detail screens. I would like to see some more races back from ES1, it looks like if they don't come back as a full race they will now be a minor faction(see: Hissho).

I got the Tempest expansion for Endless Legend, took maybe 20 turns with the Morgawr. They dominate the ocean, without question. I didn't have a lot of time with the prior expansion that added the Allayi either, so I don't know how the pearls factor in with the altar and all that stuff. On land the Morgawr seem to be a mutation of the Cultists... they're able to mind control minor faction armies?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    After playing ES2 for a few more hours last night my enthusiasm is waning. I just

do

not

the Endless Legend tech tree system. It really bugs me that there are no pre-reqs for anything. It feels like I'm inventing cars before I invent the wheel. I also don't like that basic weapons and defenses upgrade automatically with each era and you get all of them at once. In the original you had to make a choice between going all in on a single weapon system and risk getting hard countered, or have a variety of less advanced weapons. Or maybe you just didn't research weapons at all and went all in on Dust or something.

Plus there are just not a lot of technologies to research and may of them are boring, incremental upgrades. There are no game changing technologies. For instance, in the second era, the tutorial guy tells you that two critical techs are the one that lets you set up trading companies and the one that let's you upgrade your colonies. Both mechanics just give resource production bonuses - they don't allow for new mechanics or anything.

Speaking of trade routes... man they are boring in this game. You set up a HQ in one system, then a subsidiary in another. Then you get dust, science and maybe a luxury depending on the length of the route. That's it. I don't even think you can set them up in foreign empires.

They also have technologies coupled up weirdly. Like all the science building improvements are paired up with the colonization techs. It almost forces science heavy empires to be expansionists. Strategic Resource techs are paired with Dust generating techs even though strategic resources are only used militarily. There are so few techs... why not just split them up and make them all cost less?

I also don't like the fact that they switched to a system where strategic resources like Titanium and Anti-Matter stockpile like money instead of acting as resource cap like they did in ES1 or Civ games.

• Options
    I'm a weirdo who enjoys Endless Legend's combat, but that's because I have minimal 4X experience, and only have Civ to compare it to, which means its an alternative to mere "trading hits." After gaining a tenuous grasp of Total Warhammer, yeah, I imagine there are problems, but that might be a false equivalency of genres.

I would play the everliving shit out of Total War Endless.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm a weirdo who enjoys Endless Legend's combat, but that's because I have minimal 4X experience, and only have Civ to compare it to, which means its an alternative to mere "trading hits." After gaining a tenuous grasp of Total Warhammer, yeah, I imagine there are problems, but that might be a false equivalency of genres.

I would play the everliving shit out of Total War Endless.

I love the combat. It's a great midpoint between the autoresolve of Civ or Endless Space, and the granular combat of a Master of Magic or Age of Wonders. You should give AOW a shot.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    After playing ES2 for a few more hours last night my enthusiasm is waning. I just

do

not

the Endless Legend tech tree system. It really bugs me that there are no pre-reqs for anything. It feels like I'm inventing cars before I invent the wheel. I also don't like that basic weapons and defenses upgrade automatically with each era and you get all of them at once. In the original you had to make a choice between going all in on a single weapon system and risk getting hard countered, or have a variety of less advanced weapons. Or maybe you just didn't research weapons at all and went all in on Dust or something.

Plus there are just not a lot of technologies to research and may of them are boring, incremental upgrades. There are no game changing technologies. For instance, in the second era, the tutorial guy tells you that two critical techs are the one that lets you set up trading companies and the one that let's you upgrade your colonies. Both mechanics just give resource production bonuses - they don't allow for new mechanics or anything.

Speaking of trade routes... man they are boring in this game. You set up a HQ in one system, then a subsidiary in another. Then you get dust, science and maybe a luxury depending on the length of the route. That's it. I don't even think you can set them up in foreign empires.

They also have technologies coupled up weirdly. Like all the science building improvements are paired up with the colonization techs. It almost forces science heavy empires to be expansionists. Strategic Resource techs are paired with Dust generating techs even though strategic resources are only used militarily. There are so few techs... why not just split them up and make them all cost less?

I also don't like the fact that they switched to a system where strategic resources like Titanium and Anti-Matter stockpile like money instead of acting as resource cap like they did in ES1 or Civ games.

They've already said the tech tree is incomplete, to the tune of at least 25% or more, and all race-specific technologies are currently missing.

The game, although it runs well, is clearly still in early access.

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/66-game-design/thread/20618-g2g-list-of-community-gdd-updates-early-access
    HOW'S THE EARLY ACCESS VERSION ON THIS ASPECT?

Population
    While you can still move your population between colonized planets within a system, in the Early Access, there is no feature to move populations across systems yet.
    Research
    For the Early Access version, there will be no faction-specific technology except technologies obtained by completing steps of your Faction Quest.
    As it is now, players can research technologies in any order without needing to research prior technologies.
    Diplomacy
    For the Early Access, most of the feature of coordination between empires through diplomacy, such as Alliances, treaties etc... aren't present in the game.
    Trade
    In the Early Access version, there will be no Marketplace.
    In the Early Access version, the trade system doesn't require players to build "commercial ships" and send them to establish the trade routes hard points, but this is subject to change.
    Narrative Experience
    For the Early Access, the After Action Report is quite limited.
    For the Early Access, narrative experience cannot be shared through G2G via game story albums yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I like Morgawr a lot as a race, they get free run of the seas early on and the fortresses you can capture offer easy resources.

I mostly stuck to coastal shores and any regions with many rivers running through them and the river techs.

Could not for the life of me work out how you're supposed to be able to turn roaming armies and pacified villages owned by other factions though.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I like Morgawr a lot as a race, they get free run of the seas early on and the fortresses you can capture offer easy resources.

I mostly stuck to coastal shores and any regions with many rivers running through them and the river techs.

Could not for the life of me work out how you're supposed to be able to turn roaming armies and pacified villages owned by other factions though.

Click on those units and there will be a key/brain symbol lit up if they are in range. I think you may need some of your support duders close to them.

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Click on those units and there will be a key/brain symbol lit up if they are in range. I think you may need some of your support duders close to them.

It is extremely useful to use this skill to scour the entire map quickly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

It is extremely useful to use this skill to scour the entire map quickly.

It's super expensive dust upkeep wise though.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Just finished a Necrophage run and holy smokes their end game is strong. I took over my closest opponent at the speed of being able to walk from the right side of their empire to the left with barely slowing down. Didn't even lose a single minion through the whole conquest let alone one of my 5 separate 6-strong armies. Went for the Wonder Victory for the hell of it, but I could have won it 30-40 turns earlier if I went for world domination. Might give it a breather as it sort of consumed me for a few days there, but I'm keen to try out a less overly strong, military-focused faction next time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Updated title, but still on my honeymoon and I'm having some hardware issues at home, so I won't be able to write up an opinion for a while. If someone wants to dry so, I'll edit it in.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    I just got endless legend - man the game just gets cooler and cooler the more i learn the mechanics. seeing my gameplay evolve over several days and taking advantage of more systems has been quite enjoyable.

• Options
    It's actually the first 4x game I've played more than 4 hours total since the original masters of magic

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yea. Space is pretty good as well, especially for a space 4x (it definitely suffers from a lot of the problems that space 4x's tend to suffer from though*). Legend fixes most of those problems and generally makes things a lot slicker.

Its not perfect, certainly, hell its probably not as good as full Civ 5. But its definitely good.

*Mainly the issue is way too much micro management. I think i have come to the realization that space 4x's either need to be reskins of world based 4x's or they need to be majesty type games. Where the majority of the game is done by AI and you simply control the broad strokes commands.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Yea. Space is pretty good as well, especially for a space 4x (it definitely suffers from a lot of the problems that space 4x's tend to suffer from though*). Legend fixes most of those problems and generally makes things a lot slicker.

Its not perfect, certainly, hell its probably not as good as full Civ 5. But its definitely good.

*Mainly the issue is way too much micro management. I think i have come to the realization that space 4x's either need to be reskins of world based 4x's or they need to be majesty type games. Where the majority of the game is done by AI and you simply control the broad strokes commands.

Have you tried Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander?

It's a lighthearted take on a 4x with traditional JRPG combat system.

Really fun, addictive little game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8__zYQSrb8

• Options
    Played a full game of Tempest on Normal as the Cultists. Ended up with a Forgotten faction that went right after me so I had to strike his cities down immediately, then thankfully was alone on the continent, so spread the word of the cult to every village available.

Knew Drakken was around, and there were 3 other factions that were taking over the oceans around the eastern side of the continent. The Drakken land, they ended up on a territory I needed to have liberated for a Faction Quest, and after the fight they forced truce on me. After the truce, went back after them, and then when I cleared them off my continent again, apparently I had wiped them out!?

I then encountered the Necrophage and Vaulters when I sent my now Level 9 hero and an 8 unit strong army across the ocean. He spread the word of the Cult to many villages in Vaulter territory, harassing them, returning home to the completion of the Faction questline, and opening up the "Dust Pillars" quests, and also the opportunity for a Wonder victory. Also on the return to the homeland, the Necrophage had a beachhead on our continent and had claimed one of the cities for themselves.

My hero's army headshotted the Necro army, and having two dozen production stockpiles hanging around, I opted to go straight for the wonder victory, and put the full power of the 30 pop cultist city towards production. We built the tower in 12 turns and won the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So about a week in, I've won my very first Normal game as Vaulters.

Tier 2 titanium decked marines with titanium as the holy resource.

pew pew pew, nothing survives.

I don't really see why anyone would bother with any victory besides supremacy

• Options
    imdointhis wrote: »
    So about a week in, I've won my very first Normal game as Vaulters.

Tier 2 titanium decked marines with titanium as the holy resource.

pew pew pew, nothing survives.

I don't really see why anyone would bother with any victory besides supremacy

In my Cultists game, Wonder was faster/easier than Supremacy. In many cases, Quest may also be faster, especially as you get to harder difficulties.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Might be worth updating the thread title, Endless Legend and every piece of DLC is up on Steam this weekend for $10.

• Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    Are you able to gift individual parts should you already have some? I'd like Tempest, and a late Christmas present of the rest seems like a winning deal.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Not on Steam, no.

• Options
    Dungeon of the Endless is also available with all dlc for $3.

• Options
    The next Early Access update for ES2 is looming. They are updating Space Battles and the Tech Tree significantly. Also, Horatio is/are back.

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/496-horatio-update-focus-on-the-tech-tree

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/497-horatio-update-focus-on-the-space-battle

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Woooo victory lap!

ltpb1Cm.jpg
    m7FEnmw.jpg

The guns that do damage based off science, pepper spray and tear gas carried me super hard. I abandoned my ice bird man halfway down for the robot because I didn't have him and did not expect to actually finish.

Second and third last floors the exit was literally the last door I opened, mid twenties for each.

• Options
    When did the robot get added? Don't remember him as a character.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Wow Endless Space 2 looks really good. My gripes with the first one were that the game felt kind of stale, lacking personality, and the combat system didn't jive for me. I think the sequel has alot more personality going on from what I've seen and I like the combat model. It makes total sense that you'd lay out a fleet plan before battle then enact it. I would love it if it was abit more interactive but I still like what I see, there is some choice and depth going on I think. It also helps that the battles and ship models are freakin gorgeous.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha