As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daily Show, Nightly Show, Last Week Tonight, & Full Frontal] Noah makin' it rain!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Reminded me of a this from when I was in jail.

Had a guy in our unit, low level drug offense. Kept to himself , did everything asked of him, got released.

Was back on our unit 2 weeks later. Asked him what happened.

They had released him with nothing, and his only option on release was a cheque he had, and he had begged for his early release to just be delayed til the monday.

But, they dropped him in the middle of nowhere, on a Friday night, at 7pm, in December, in Canada.

So after freezing for a day, he grabbed a rock, smashed a store window, and sat down and waited for police to arrive.

He came back to jail literally because he was going to freeze to death.

I thought Canada was just a better more polite America.

But apparently our criminal justice systems share the fuckterrible shitness.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    How did I not recognize Graham?

They intentionally compressed the video after shooting it so that it would be blurred and look like it wasn't shot on an expensive camera (for the time).

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Reminded me of a this from when I was in jail.

Had a guy in our unit, low level drug offense. Kept to himself , did everything asked of him, got released.

Was back on our unit 2 weeks later. Asked him what happened.

They had released him with nothing, and his only option on release was a cheque he had, and he had begged for his early release to just be delayed til the monday.

But, they dropped him in the middle of nowhere, on a Friday night, at 7pm, in December, in Canada.

So after freezing for a day, he grabbed a rock, smashed a store window, and sat down and waited for police to arrive.

He came back to jail literally because he was going to freeze to death.

I thought Canada was just a better more polite America.

But apparently our criminal justice systems share the fuckterrible shitness.

It varies from province to province.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We definitely have fewer unarmed black men being killed by the police (to take one example pulled right from the headlines), but no, Canada's law enforcement system isn't flawless.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    We definitely have fewer unarmed black men being killed by the police (to take one example pulled right from the headlines), but no, Canada's law enforcement system isn't flawless.

No, instead it is Native Americans, in Saskatchewan at least. Except instead of being shot they are driven to the countryside in the dead of winter and left to freeze to death.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Holy shit voting machine memory cards using volatile memory maintained by a coin cell battery is crazy.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

No, instead it is Native Americans, in Saskatchewan at least. Except instead of being shot they are driven to the countryside in the dead of winter and left to freeze to death.

Yeah. The Prairies seem to have a particularly bad track record with that sort of thing.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So I just started this week's LWT, but I wanted to comment on something fantastic I noticed during the intro. I normally only pay half attention to it, but I caught that they changed the title for the Statue of Liberty in the intro this week: normally it's Frenchium Garbagum, but they changed it to Greenus Gigantum. It's a really minor thing, but I thought it was a really nice change in light of the attacks in Paris this week.

Edit: And the final panel of the intro, which changes each week, has the French flag with Paris, je t'aime.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    I missed the Statue change, but I noticed the final panel change. When the camera swept in, I'm pretty sure they had the French flag up (in light?) on one of the walls as well.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Found the DFS segment interesting. Something I hadn't messed with until recently, got kinda hooked on, then burned out on when I realized what I was actually up against. Had thought about starting a thread on it, but was never sure it was worth it.

I think the recent dust up regarding employees playing on rival sites while possibly* having information of value from their own shone a light into some dark corners of the industry.

I think really they reached too high. It was easy to ignore until they hit the point where both major vendors had ads during every single commercial break of every game, and half the commentary graphics were sponsored by one or the other, etc. I don't think the industry was ready for that level of attention.

But of course it was necessary, because their entire business model seems to depend on bringing in fresh fish every season to feed the sharks. Many players will quit after a year or less after realizing they just can't win (some addicted players will instead just go bankrupt), so you need constant influx to keep the games filled so the guys with the algorithms aren't forced to feed on each other.

• Options
    Colbert continues to be one of the classiest people on television.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Especially when compared to Bill Maher

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    Especially when compared to Bill Maher

I bet the list of people who don't meet that criteria is a short one. Comprised mostly of Fox News employees.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    so the guys with the algorithms aren't forced to feed on each other.

I would have liked to see that evolve into military grade AI's battling over fantasy football.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Look nerds you all lose to Janice in Accounting anyway, we all know her policy on giving fucks.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the Acro Cats, despite and/or because of how haphazard it was due to its use of actual cats.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I love that one of the ads had "astroturf" for a promo code.

I don't think they know what meaning that has on the internet.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Wow. That was a long way to go for that Hunger Games joke.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh man.. due to the way that box cut off, I thought it said "the final Last Week Tonight" and I panicked!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Can't link it easily due to being on my phone, but has John Oliver hired CGP Gray or something? This week's piece seemed to mirror his video pretty closely, until it came to the places where pennies were before your pocket.

Note: This is a good thing!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Google news tells me that he and his wife just had a kid, so that makes sense.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Google news tells me that he and his wife just had a kid, so that makes sense.

Congrats to them,

But gorram.

This guy takes more breaks than my local chop-shop

• Options
    Speaking as a Canadian, I've gotta say that getting rid of the penny has been pretty great. Rounding up/down to the nearest nickel works well enough, and it doesn't affect digital transactions.

Hell at this point I'd be fine with dropping the nickel too. According to Google those also cost more to make than they're worth.

Further Googling indicates that dimes and quarters still cost less to make than their face value.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Speaking as a Canadian, I've gotta say that getting rid of the penny has been pretty great. Rounding up/down to the nearest nickel works well enough, and it doesn't affect digital transactions.

Hell at this point I'd be fine with dropping the nickel too. According to Google those also cost more to make than they're worth.

Further Googling indicates that dimes and quarters still cost less to make than their face value.

Just talking with one of my students who's from Korea about this, and I think every country has their own useless coin. Theirs is the 10 won coin, since it takes about 200 won to get something like a Chupa-Chup. They're trying to get rid of it by just not making any more. Keep it slow and steady, Korea!

Here in Thailand, we've got 2 useless coins, the .25 and .5 baht coins. They're both copper coloured, and pretty much the same size. So how much do I have? It's a mystery! :rotate:

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

The USA killed the half penny when it was worth as much as a current USA dime. So yeah, drop nickles while your'e at it.

• Options
    Colbert and that French dude did unspeakable things to those poor birds.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I can't seem to find links to it now, but I remember shortly before we got rid of the Penny in Canada, there were lots of stories of people going out and buying as many pennies as the bank would sell them, melting them down, and then going and making a profit on the metal.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    We had that happening with pennies in the US. In a sane world that would've been the sign to just let people do it, but then we went and made it illegal to do so.

Because Lincoln.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    We had that happening with pennies in the US. In a sane world that would've been the sign to just let people do it, but then we went and made it illegal to do so.

Because Lincoln.

I'm pretty sure large-scale destruction of legal tender is generally illegal all over. Cuz it fucks with monetary policy?

That's why people waited until the Canadian penny was being removed before doing it, because then it became not legal tender, and thus it became legal to melt it down. (I think?)

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've thrown out pennies before. Like in the trash, because it was logistically easier to do.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Because Lincoln.

I'm pretty sure large-scale destruction of legal tender is generally illegal all over. Cuz it fucks with monetary policy?

That's why people waited until the Canadian penny was being removed before doing it, because then it became not legal tender, and thus it became legal to melt it down. (I think?)

Pennies are still legal tender. They just stopped making them and started taking ones that came into banks out of circulation.
    Technically it's still illegal to destroy them; I think it's more the government not really giving a shit about enforcing that for pennies anymore.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I can't seem to find links to it now, but I remember shortly before we got rid of the Penny in Canada, there were lots of stories of people going out and buying as many pennies as the bank would sell them, melting them down, and then going and making a profit on the metal.

I have never heard of this, and it sounds like made up link bait bull honky.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    The metal value of USA coins is less than the face. Most of the cost is in the manufacturing.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Pennies that are old enough have more value in their copper than they are worth, but more recent ones don't.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »

Just talking with one of my students who's from Korea about this, and I think every country has their own useless coin. Theirs is the 10 won coin, since it takes about 200 won to get something like a Chupa-Chup. They're trying to get rid of it by just not making any more. Keep it slow and steady, Korea!

Here in Thailand, we've got 2 useless coins, the .25 and .5 baht coins. They're both copper coloured, and pretty much the same size. So how much do I have? It's a mystery! :rotate:

This is generally true. I mean, generally what happens--at least, I think it's what happens--is that the smallest denominations become totally worthless for a long time before they're removed. Like when Japan stopped issuing sen (1/100 of a yen, which itself is a small denomination) or when we got rid of the fen (1/100 of a NT Dollar, in other words a cent). It seems like inflation is pretty much the only way to get rid of that, though admitted, in Taiwan, where it's hovered around NT$ 30 to a US dollar, there's a pretty good argument for the NT$ 1 I think (so long as we're using American money for comparison anyway).

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Alternatively, we just move to electronic payments for virtually everything.

In the last two years, I've completely stopped carrying cash. Everything is paid for on my debit/credit cards, usually using tap-to-pay. Unless I was to go to a roadside fruit and vegetable stand, people in Canada will take Interac payments, and usually credit cards as well. And if I'm ever getting money to or from other people (like, fantasy football dues) I'm using Interac e-mail transfers.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Because Lincoln.

Pennies are still legal tender. They just stopped making them and started taking ones that came into banks out of circulation.
    Technically it's still illegal to destroy them; I think it's more the government not really giving a shit about enforcing that for pennies anymore.

It's really one of those problems that will solve itself given enough time.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Well that was exactly the kind of emotionally crushing thing I needed to see just before I went to sleep...