As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Learning SQL or BizInt training

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
My work has been taking me deeper and deeper into Business Intelligence, but at a smaller company that really has no background in BizInt and therefore no one for me to learn from. I have basically gotten into this by just being a tinkerer who has tried to self teach on unmaintained databases to get some information sharing functional across the organization.

Or, in other words, I'm standing up a Business Intelligence group at a company that's never had one. But I have limited background.

I have set for myself the goal of getting our SharePoint site functional for the Finance and Business Development teams using SQL. We'd previously used more expensive (and probably better) tools, but they couldn't be justified for the limited number of users.

So here's my question: Where the fuck do I start? I've got a training budget. My boss suggested I attend a BizInt conference, but it seemed more conceptual and networking focused. I think I'd rather get some fundamental skills in place with that money and provide the company with some systems that they'll use even if I'm gone.

Should I pursue a MCSE: Business Intelligence? Should I seek some sort of SQL training?

I'd like to target kicking off some preliminary training this calendar year, so I just need to pick somewhere to start.

What is this I don't even.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    SQLZoo.com is really good.
    Training and structure will be highly dependent on your technology selection, user base and expected outputs. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further, as I've spent the past 8 years or so in and around analytics and data design.
    Another big thing to consider is that BI encompasses a lot of disciplines, so understanding how your company is interpreting it is important, as while some involve statisticians and data scientists for predictive modeling etc. etc., for others it's a different name for "advanced reports group"

• Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    You sound like how my career path has panned out! I'm actually training to get my MCSA now. it's a start, but there is a lot more to BI than just SQL DBs. I would hold off on the conference until after you get some background, you might be overwhelmed at a conference with terminology and stuff. I'm learning SQL now, and i'll move on to SRSS and Sharepoint from there.

There are kind of two facets to this, but they are linked. Storing the data, and retrieving the data. storing the data can really be "mastered" with certs (like MCSA, etc) but the retrieval piece is going to be a lot more fluid depending on your expertise with your business needs, etc.