As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm auctioning off my 100% complete collection to Child's Play!

torgietorgie Registered User regular
A year ago I purchased every pin (at that time, 72 total) for $6,000 dollars at the Child's Play charity dinner live auction. I only had a vague idea of what the pins were about; it was all about the charity for me!

Since then, I've been keeping up the collection over the year... and am donating it straight back to where they came :) I'm heading to Australia to get the last stragglers, then later in November I'll be making an eBay auction with 100% of the proceeds going to Child's Play.

I've already been talking with the PA staff a bit and letting them know what I'm up to :) SO! If anyone here was considering doing something similar, please coordinate with me if possible - having two auctions running at the same time would almost certainly devalue both of them.

That's all! Happy hunting!

• grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Sounds awesome, I'm sure a lot of people will see it here but when it's up, let me know and I'll feature it on the front page of the trading site as well :)

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you plan to promote that via the forums, please contact our administrator, Tube, before doing so.

• torgietorgie Registered User regular
    Alrighty, zerzhul, will do!

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    I honestly think if you are trying to do that then you might make more for Childs Play by having them auction it off again at the Childs Play Auction or the Desert Bus Marathon(Believe that is what it is called) Auction. But that is just my personal opinion. :)

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oooh yeah desert bus is on soon, isnt it, Yeah i agree you should contact Jamie or someone from LRR to see if you can get them to auction it, would get a lot of attention at the very least and most likely make a ton of money.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    Ahhh, LRR! I actually know Graham a teeny tiny bit. I could ask them they're willing to plug the auction, but I don't really want to hand the whole thing over to them :)

I went back and forth quite a bit on where to auction it. I asked the PA crew their opinions on Dinner Donation™ vs. eBay, and the conclusion was that eBay would be better. (Granted, it wasn't unanimous) But consider: it's a much wider audience for a much longer period of time, so it greatly increases the likelihood that the right person with the right budget will see it.

It does lose a bit of the glamour, though.

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    torgie wrote: »
    Ahhh, LRR! I actually know Graham a teeny tiny bit. I could ask them they're willing to plug the auction, but I don't really want to hand the whole thing over to them :)

I went back and forth quite a bit on where to auction it. I asked the PA crew their opinions on Dinner Donation™ vs. eBay, and the conclusion was that eBay would be better. (Granted, it wasn't unanimous) But consider: it's a much wider audience for a much longer period of time, so it greatly increases the likelihood that the right person with the right budget will see it.

It does lose a bit of the glamour, though.

I agree that it is a wider audience, but the people who go to the LRR and the PA Charity Dinner are thre to pay lots of money for things(for charity). Most people on Ebay, while they may be willing to pay more for a smaller item, are not as willing to pay a bunch extra for a larger item. If it was advertised BY Penny Arcade on the news page or something then I might say that it would help bring in the right people for an Ebay auction…

This is totally just my opinion though. ^_^

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    torgie wrote: »

It does lose a bit of the glamour(sic), though.

I agree that it is a wider audience, but the people who go to the LRR and the PA Charity Dinner are thre(sic) to pay lots of money for things(for charity). Most people on Ebay, while they may be willing to pay more for a smaller item, are not as willing to pay a bunch extra for a larger item. If it was advertised BY Penny Arcade on the news page or something then I might say that it would help bring in the right people for an Ebay auction…

This is totally just my opinion though. ^_^

Yea, I don't doubt your intentions in the slightest, but as a very skeptical person, putting it up on eBay makes it lose a sense of charitable legitimacy that it would have from the Desert Bus or CP auction. I commend your intentions to help make a great thing better by giving, and you're doing it in a cool way.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Via Giving Works you can do an eBay auction that automatically goes right to the charity, and clearly states in the auction what % of the winning price goes to the charity. I would assume(or hope) that's how Torgie is going to do it.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    edited November 2014
    @Beker‌ Yep, exactly! The GivingWorks program is excellent, built straight into eBay, and will state clearly and boldly that 100% of the proceeds are going directly to Child's Play :)

torgie on