Options

"The first draft of anything is shit." [NaNoWriMo]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i'm too lazy to find the real link.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Part of my problem is I just started reading the first Malazan book and so far I am really, really enjoying it. Which is good! But now every time I try to write my inner critic starts off with "In your entire life you will never write a single paragraph even a fraction as good as this" and it's just discouraging.

Even though I put that quote in the thread title. I'm a big fat phoney!

don't look at this as trying to produce a finished product

look at this as training yourself to get in the habit of writing something, everything, every day. If you can make yourself write at least a little bit every day, even when it's hard, even when the words won't come, that will be something to be proud of on December 1st, even if the writing itself is somewhere between rough draft and really detailed brainstorming/

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Okay. I have basically tried to forget my entire plan apart from the various introductory/set-up scenes for my characters, with the idea that I will write them and just see where it goes without bothering if it ends up where I planned it.

I just wrote 1000 words so it is apparently working as intended right now. Hopefully this is sustainable.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The big thing is to not get discouraged when you fall behind. I've failed the last two nanos and I'm so fucking far behind on this nano, but it doesn't matter, because I wrote most of a novel during November during those previous two Nanos and then finished them later on, because I just kept writing because I was in the habit of writing words, and that's what the most important part of nano is, making writing a habit.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I just got this message, in case anyone is interested:
    I work with one of the NanoWriMo sponsors, Storybundle.com. I am contacting you because unlike many of the other sponsor offers, this one ends on November 30th and we are trying to let as many Wrimos as possible know about it so that they can take advantage and don’t miss it.

Storybundle built the ultimate toolkit for Wrimos by asking a ton of bestselling authors and legendary writing instructors to provide ebooks for a bundle that each Wrimo would be able to name their own price for.

The NanoWriMo Writing Tools Bundle features 12 books on writing from all of those authors that replied to the call to support the Wrimos. We need your help to get the word out though. While we’re listed on the sponsor page as a top level sponsor, since those of us that organized this are Wrimos ourselves we know that most Wrimos don’t check the sponsor page until December 1st.

The direct link for the NanoWriMo Writing Tools Bundle is https://storybundle.com/nano

We’re asking if you’ll make sure that everyone in your region knows about it by sending a message to your region rather than just posting in the forums, and by asking all of your write in hosts to mention it as well. If you would like to use a bundle as a prize in your region and have a competition to help encourage people to write we are also offering each region one free bundle download (of all 12 books) as prize support. (If you would like to do this let me know, and I’ll set you up with a giveaway code.)

Happy Writing.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well, I managed to hit word count for today. Don't know if I'll be able to catch back up but I will at least try and get the magic 1,667 a day from now on.

• Options
    KiraKiraKiraKiraKiraKira Fishwife Registered User regular
    Today I went out to write at a cafe like I usually do, but I had a little panic attack and couldn't even get out of the car. I have surgery on Monday, and while I'm not actively worrying about it, my latent anxiety and depression are certainly firing.

Anyway, instead of writing I worked on a sewing project, so I felt like I had accomplished something. Then busy afternoon with friends and busy night with family, so it looked like maybe this would be the first day when I wouldn't write anything. Which made me sad because even though I'm behind overall, I have managed to write every day so far.

But when I got home tonight I grabbed my laptop and sat on the sofa to at least write SOMETHING because fuck you anxiety and depression.

And I wrote 918 words, which takes me past 10k, so yippee!

condiemint,pc,days.png
  • Options
    This whole going off-plan thing has already got confusing.

I had that character I spoke about before, the one I really like and people want me to murder. And in the plan she's a kind of mage and her talent is specifically in extracting/planting thoughts in people's minds, so telepathomancy or whatever.

Well I started writing the very first scene with her this evening and immediately things came out different. Now instead of being a telepath she has this spirit of some kind under her control which can scout over long distances for her, and the spirit has the ability to extract information from people by basically burrowing inside their minds and digging stuff out. And this spirit is also fundamentally malevolent and inevitably isn't going to stay under her control.

But I have no idea how this situation came about or what the spirit wants or where things are heading. What happened to the plan??

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    No plan survives contact with the enemy.

The enemy in this case being a blank page.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    This whole going off-plan thing has already got confusing.

I had that character I spoke about before, the one I really like and people want me to murder. And in the plan she's a kind of mage and her talent is specifically in extracting/planting thoughts in people's minds, so telepathomancy or whatever.

Well I started writing the very first scene with her this evening and immediately things came out different. Now instead of being a telepath she has this spirit of some kind under her control which can scout over long distances for her, and the spirit has the ability to extract information from people by basically burrowing inside their minds and digging stuff out. And this spirit is also fundamentally malevolent and inevitably isn't going to stay under her control.

But I have no idea how this situation came about or what the spirit wants or where things are heading. What happened to the plan??

That idea kicks ass

• Options
    Thanks. I just wrote the first instance of the spirit doing its interrogation thing. It did not end well for the interrogatee.

An up side to this new direction I guess is now I have an obvious way for this character to get murdered, if I decide to go that route.

Also, 2,269 words done today. Slowly clawing it back.

• Options
    I'm still about a thousand words behind for this, the day of double word count. It is a very sad thing for me. I may drop off my kid early with my mom tomorrow and write for a few extra hours to try desperately to get ahead.

• Options
    Also I would like to make a light gripe for a moment, if I may.
    I told my husband a few months ago that I wasn't sure I could do Nano this year, that I didn't know if I could be ML again, because work was a mess and I was taking a class and it seemed like way too much to do at once. And he said he would back me, and he'd take over duties this month, and watch our kid and do whatever it took to let me have the time I needed. That really touched me, and felt good that he would support me even if it meant temporarily ditching some of the stuff he normally does.

It hasn't worked out that way. I realized today that he ended up taking on a bunch of extra stuff, even after telling me he wouldn't. Not work stuff, but like, personal stuff. Stuff that he doesn't NEED to do. And he's in a rough place himself and I know that he gets a lot of joy from doing those things and I feel so selfish, but I realized today that he had completely broken his promise. And it made me really sad.

And I'm still on target overall so in a perverse way, I've learned that I can buckle down and bust ass and git er done. But this week has been super hard for me. And I told him about this and he apologized and said he would make it right and I know he'll try. But man. I'm so bummed.

• Options
  • Options
    Oh hey look it's that time of the month where I'm the only one posting

Get back in here, you guys

• Options
    I've stalled again so I have nothing to post about.

What's going on in your story, Quoth?

• Options
    My space pirates are trying to get off a world where if you lose your ID card, you're considered meat and can be hunted as such. Guess what happened.

I just finished writing a lengthy Mad Max-esque vehicle chase and gun fight and am about to call in the cavalry.

• Options
    That sounds really fun. How did they lose their cards?

• Options
    In the most belaboured shaggy dog method imaginable after a bunch of silly feints.

• Options
    She drops it and an alien scarab-dog eats it.

• Options
    God, I hate when that happens.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    That sounds pretty awesome, Quoth! I hit a bit of a roadblock the other day and haven't written anything since. I tried to introduce a new character but I just couldn't picture them and then, you know....The Binding of Isaac, Netlfix marathons etc.

I'm a busy guy!

But I've been mentally reworking it so I think I'll get back to it soon. Maybe even today! hah

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    She drops it and an alien scarab-dog eats it.

Literary

Genius.

• Options
    I feel like my next draft is going to be me saying, "can I make this even more ridiculous? How about this?"

• Options
    I have officially thrown in the towel on this. I might still add bits but trying to kid myself I'm going to do anywhere near the word count is dumb.

I will still be rooting for everyone who's still going though. Be better than me!

• Options
    VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    I also gave up due to getting sick on FRIDAY and feeling better on MONDAY

haha yes my life is a sitcom or slice-of-life webcomic, thank you

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I have officially thrown in the towel on this. I might still add bits but trying to kid myself I'm going to do anywhere near the word count is dumb.

I will still be rooting for everyone who's still going though. Be better than me!

eff word counts, just keep writing errday

a lot, a little, doesn't matter. This is about making writing a habit, a part of your routine, and if you can do that it'll be something to be proud of regardless of if you hit an arbitrary number of words.

• Options
    Yeah guys, don't give up entirely. Just write one sentence a day if that's all you've got in you. Some days you'll write more, some days that will be it.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I think I'm out. Of the 50k goal at least. Going to look into maybe reducing it to 30k or something.

Disappointed, to say the least. Especially since I was able to do it last year. Things are just too busy right now.

• Options
    I was feeling super anxious today so did some writing to take my mind off it. Which is good! But it wasn't part of my nano story, or any story, it was just more meandering world building stuff.

• Options
    I kind of want to do a fantasy detective story with that character who uses a 'tame' evil spirit to dig up memories and extract information from people. But that idea is all I've got, and that's not a story.

• Options
    The story is in why they solve mysteries.

And presumably to some degree how and why they got the spirit.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I kind of want to do a fantasy detective story with that character who uses a 'tame' evil spirit to dig up memories and extract information from people. But that idea is all I've got, and that's not a story.

Working on the idea that nobody knows about the detective's little trick to get information (like with the Piemaker in Pushing Daisies) you could do some interesting stuff wherein the whole deal with getting the information creates the plot.

Like, the detective does regular detective work and all the clues point to a single culprit. The detective finds the culprit and sends the spirit after them and...nothing. Not a single memory related to the crime despite all the evidence pointing to them. Or worse yet, memories that directly contradict them having been able to perform the crime.

Now the detective is in a bad spot. Do they turn over the person who the evidence says is guilty but their memory says they aren't? Or even the cops arrest the person on their own, but the detective can't explain why they think the person might be innocent.

What happened? Could the culprit be framed? Could the evidence be lying somehow? Could the spirit be lying (and why)? Could they have somehow hid their true memories from the spirit with a power or spirit of their own? Do other people know about spirits and how to "tame" them?

Also, probably attach some sort of cost to "taming" the spirit. Either something the detective had to do to originally tame the spirit, or something the detective has to continue to do in order to keep it tamed. Even if something relatively simple like having to renew a magical seal on the urn that the spirit's ashes are kept in every six days or something.

Alternative angle: When investigating the crime, whenever the spirit retrieves memories, the memories inevitably point to the detective having been the one who committed the crime. Is the spirit screwing with the detective? Can it do that? It would be a possibility the detective could consider, along with the possibility that they may have been possessed or something and actually done it. Then ultimately it turns out that it's neither of those things, and someone the detective put away a long time ago learned of the detective's secret and tamed a spirit of their own. Except their spirit plants memories instead of retrieving them, and they are using it to frame the detective with a bunch of witnesses that "remember" the detective at the scene of the crime.

Maybe this villain even breaks whatever hold the detective has over their spirit, putting them in really hot water until they can manage to tame it again.

• Options
  • Options
    Next up, because it makes me laugh and I don't even care:
    dinosaurs with guns and maybe they can fly also, I haven't decided

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    robo3.PNG
    robo4.PNG
    robo5.PNG
    robo6.PNG
    robo7.PNG

Futuresaurus Rex, from Atomic Robo, free on comixology I think.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I have that comic

Well, duh.

It was free. Why wouldn't you?