Options

"The first draft of anything is shit." [NaNoWriMo]

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    NatCoWriMo is a thing that has happened parallel to regular nano, it's 30 pages in 30 days

you're not going to be able to do a 500 page comic in a month, trust me on this

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Alright, so I think I'm gonna do it. I just need to be able to turn a reacting protagonist into a proactive protagonist. And I want to do it without using exposition.

So the story begins with the protagonist being hounded for an unknown reason. And I need to turn this into the protagonist going on the attack and the obvious way to do it would be to have the protagonist join up with a group who can explain things to them. Like the Council of Elrond in the LotR or a billion other stories. But, I want to avoid that cliché.

Cool, my laptop autocorrects cliché to have the little dash.

Anyway, if I can do that then I will have no problem. But if I can't then I'm stuck with a protagonist who only reacts to things, which will get boring and won't go anywhere.

I think Hammett and Chandler are going to be your patrons for this, if you're looking for one. Marlowe and Hammett's detectives made switching from "alright, someone's paying me/after me" to "And now I had the drop" a big part of their MO.

Red Harvest is about perfect. Possible basis for Yojimbo, it's about a detective who gets hired to investigate a murder, sees that the whole town is rotten, and decides "Hey, I just got a lot of money from the job. I'm going to spend it all on fucking this place over so hard they have to send the national guard to clean up."

Oh, and you should watch Yojimbo. Just on general principle here. Or watch it again if you've seen it before.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Thanks a lot.

I, uh, may have also figured out another part of the problem on my own. I had forgotten to define my character. It's kinda hard to have a character be active unless they actually have, you know, character.

So with that sorted + the detective ideas (which are probably spot on for the story I'm going for) I should be set.

And the 500 pages thing, I'm going very lo fi. Barely any plot, no colouring. The goal is to write(and draw) lots, not well. Quantity not quality. But the great thing is that because I'm doing it issue by issue, if I find that 500 pages is unrealistic (it likely is) I can always wrap up whatever issue I am on and call it a day. The goal isn't to write a complete story, just to escalate the story with each issue.

30 pages in 30 days is weaksauce.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I got my 50,000 words last year, but getting there was absolutely brutal.

The actual writing wasn't difficult. For the most part, it was fun.

Not doing anything else but writing... watching the dishes pile up, dropping all social life, performing the bare minimum tasks to keep my family cleaned and fed... just, no. Both of us doing it last year led to bad things. There's just not enough time for me to do everything necessary as a parent and partner and work and also write, not without having someone else able to support that and pick up the slack. There needs to be at least one adult taking care of things in our household, and by default I'm it. Having both of us driving to 50k last year was toxic to my home, it was toxic to my relationship, it was toxic to my mood.

I might write something this year. Maybe. Finish the story I started last year, in 30k or so words. Or I'll hold over for Camp NaNo next year. Or just leave it untouched until I work out where I want to go in my conclusion. I never did work out how I wanted to end things.

But what I won't be doing is NaNoWriMo. Not 50k words. Not this year. Not while my wife is committed.

I will be doing everything else to get her there, but not that.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Every idea I come up with basically would be a perfect role playing session but fuck if I can't write at all

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Every idea I come up with basically would be a perfect role playing session but fuck if I can't write at all

I have this great strategy to getting better at writing

it's called WRITE 50,000 WORDS YOU WUSS

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    But I'm in college!

And I struggle with even 3000 words

And coherent sentences

And anything past the opening pitch

I love brainstorming though

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    oh well those are some good points

on the other hand WRITE 50,000 WORDS YOU WUSS

I plan to be the JK Simmons in Whiplash of this thread

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    But I'm in college!

And I struggle with even 3000 words

And coherent sentences

And anything past the opening pitch

I love brainstorming though

good news then, you've got 2 weeks to brainstorm, have fun!

then write. "coherent sentences" are something to worry about in the second draft, just pour out a story. Think of it as a 50,000 word sequential brainstorm.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I probably won't do NaNo this year. Got other things I'm working on, and I finished it twice before so it's not like I have anything to prove to myself.

Still feel kinda bad about the time between the two when I crashed and burned, though. Giant monster murder mystery is such a great elevator pitch, but it just didn't want to work.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'd do this, but I've already got two things I'm several drafts into that I probably should finish before I start a whole new story....

Next year though, when I've had time to finish world-building the universe for the third thing I've been brainstorming for the last six years.

Creagan on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Pfft I can write 50,000 words in a month.
    Wait they have to form coherent sentences?

With a plot?

Shit.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    I'd do this, but I've already got two things I'm several drafts into that I probably should finish before I start a whole new story....

Next year though, when I've had time to finish world-building the universe for the third thing I've been brainstorming for the last six years.

Add 50,000 words to one of you in-progress stories.

No rule that it has to be new.

• Options
    edited October 2014

True, although I still wouldn't make it unless I counted both stories, unfortunately. The first one's probably going to top out at 41K words, based on the average # of words per chapter so far and the # of chapters in the last draft. And I'm 5K into that one, so 50K really isn't happening there.

Second story's going to top out at 50K, and I'm 3K into it.

So at best, if I do a single story I'll wind up 3K short.

Creagan on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Could you write an appendix?

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to think of a nice way to say "stop making excuses and just write" so imagine me saying that but in a really nice tone while I smile and gaze soulfully into your eyes.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

True, although I still wouldn't make it unless I counted both stories, unfortunately. The first one's probably going to top out at 41K words, based on the average # of words per chapter so far and the # of chapters in the last draft. And I'm 5K into that one, so 50K really isn't happening there.

Well... I mean... write all of one story and then make up the remaining words with the other story?

Most people's problems is thinking of enough to fill 50,000 words. Your cup floweth over with ideas.

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of a nice way to say "stop making excuses and just write" so imagine me saying that but in a really nice tone while I smile and gaze soulfully into your eyes.

picture me saying the same thing while throwing a chair at your head and punching a wall

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

picture me saying the same thing while throwing a chair at your head and punching a wall

Picture me saying it in a very soft voice while holding a casually holding a knife and looking down at your wrist restraints.

Picture a few red stains on the floor.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Picture me saying it in a very soft voice while holding a casually holding a knife and looking down at your wrist restraints.

Now write all these scenes down and you can be 5,000 words into your novel!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Oh no, did someone drop some cherry pie?

Is that why you had the knife? For cutting pie?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Oh no, did someone drop some cherry pie?

Is that why you had the knife? For cutting pie?

Yes, that's it smof

Now get back in your cage

Vic on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Now write all these scenes down and you can be 5,000 words into your novel!

Wait I already did this for a contest I won.

Also getting my game time in because when November hits I'm gonna have to speed demon write since the 14th is the Day the World Stands Still, otherwise known as the release of the new WoW expansion.

• Options
    Ha. Good luck. My first NaNo was the year Skyrim was released. Predictably my word count died a death as soon as the 11th hit.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i never finished my one from last year
    holy shit, where does the time go?

• Options
    Let's see, last year I didn't do it because my living situation was unsafe and I was too anxious to think about creative pursuits... The year before that, I had the first "draft" of my BA thesis due and was working on that... The year before that was the Fall Quarter I wound up in too many writing-intensive classes and had 18 papers due in 10 weeks... And before that, I didn't know what nanowrimo was.

Well... I mean... write all of one story and then make up the remaining words with the other story?

Most people's problems is thinking of enough to fill 50,000 words. Your cup floweth over with ideas.

I'll definitely consider it, if that's not against the rules. I'm hesitating because the impression I got from the website is that this is for rough drafts. Right now, I'm trying to create penultimate drafts of both stories. (IE, only things left to fix are grammar/spelling.) I'm the type that would get way too obsessed with my word count and either rush through both drafts to get to 50K, or totally pad my stories with necessary stuff that takes away from work just to make wordcount. So I'm balking a bit.

And eeeeeh, the only reason I'm so sure of the word-count estimates, and that I'll be able to write these stories to completion is that I've been working on these things for 12 and 5 years, respectively. These are very, very old ideas that I've thought about for years (and years, and years.) I have no clue if I'd be able to come up with something totally new, and then get 50K words outta it, let alone 50K in a month.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ha. Good luck. My first NaNo was the year Skyrim was released. Predictably my word count died a death as soon as the 11th hit.

Mine too. But this time, shall be different!

Mostly because WoW is not nearly as addictive to me as it used to be.

• Options
    I've done the thing I usually do, where I plot half a story and then realise I have no idea how to do the second half.

I really wish I could come up with a succinct idea of a story which includes the ending, and then extrapolate it out. Instead of always coming up with an idea for a beginning and trying to fudge my way to the end.

• Options
    I've gotten around that by coming up with way, way more of the plot than could fit in a single book. Then I separate out major events, like arcs. And the first arc becomes the book.

It's tricky though, because you have to make the arcs capable of being independant stories.

(Sorry if there are spelling issues. I don't have spell check on my phone, and with my dyslexia, I can't see spelling errors.)

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

The issue with this is that I've seen you so I picture you dropping the chair and hurting your hand on the wall

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I've done the thing I usually do, where I plot half a story and then realise I have no idea how to do the second half.

I really wish I could come up with a succinct idea of a story which includes the ending, and then extrapolate it out. Instead of always coming up with an idea for a beginning and trying to fudge my way to the end.

Maybe think about which kind of changes you want your characters to undergo, what you want them to learn or discover (about the world, themselves or each other). You could make a little list for each of the main characters. Your goal could also be to show a side to a character which isn't readily apparent from the moment you establish them. If you have these specific points, you can work your way backwards and connect them with where your characters start out.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I decided to solve my problem by spending all day drawing a map.

Which, predictably, actually did nothing to solve my problem. But it was fun!

Edit: tomorrow is my day off and it's going to be all about developing characters. Specifically my antagonist. In between sessions of watching my bro play Alien Isolation and laughing.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My favourite part of my efforts last year was the day and a half I spent investigating all the local stars within 20 light years to determine which ones were most similar and suitable for fostering human habitable planets.

Sure, I didn't write for 2 days, but it was pretty cool to map out a speculative map of the course of human expansion into the stars. And also learning about all the details and make up of nearby stars!

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I just jotted down some ideas for stories I thought I'd work on for this and uh I have 11 decent to pretty good ideas to narrow down from which is...hmm

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    I just jotted down some ideas for stories I thought I'd work on for this and uh I have 11 decent to pretty good ideas to narrow down from which is...hmm

post them all here, let us decide

• Options
    hold on let me mail them to myself

• Options
    honestly though it's one of those situations where I'm writing them out and going "this sounds really cool" but the second I think of other people seeing them I think "these are the ideas of a twelve year old"

• Options
    honestly though it's one of those situations where I'm writing them out and going "this sounds really cool" but the second I think of other people seeing them I think "these are the ideas of a twelve year old"

Most of us were twelve once.

Give 'em.

• Options
    Sometimes ideas of twelve year olds are quite good, if developed correctly.

The projects I'm working on can trace their origins to stories and daydreams I had between the time I was 12 and 17.