As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On skunks, and the terrible spray.

PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
My 8 year detente with the skunks has ended. One of them managed to slip past security into the fenced in dog area, and spraying ensued.

Nobody has any bites, and only 2 of the 6 dogs that were out there got sprayed. Lacking enough of the ingredients a quick google search told me about, I scrubbed the two down with Nature's Miracle (product placement, I love this stuff. It's fantastic. Anyone with a pet needs to buy it.) It seemed to lessen the stink coming off the dogs by quite a bit, but at this point my house smells like the spraying happened indoors, my beer tastes like skunk, and I hate everything.

So. Did it actually help? And how long will the residual stink remain, both on the dogs and in my home?

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    About two weeks. It's a myth that the smell never leaves items. It might be a good idea to try Febreeze or some other odor destroyer for your home; those weren't available back when I was sprayed.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    It didn't even occur to me that the smell would never leave the items. Of course that's a myth, this isn't like... dark magic or something.

I opened the windows on the side of the house farthest from the spraying, and I turned my central heat/air fan to auto to promote air circulation. The downside being that it's currently 43 degrees here.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The smell and taste of skunk you're noticing might be small amounts of skunk oils that got into your nose while you were cleaning your dogs, via splashing or airborne or on hairs or dust or something. Either way it sounds like you've done everything you can do already other than waiting it out.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Skunk oil is, like the name says, an oil. So it's tricky to clean. You can leave bowls of vinegar around the house to absorb some of the smell.

After the smell wears off, you're going to want to change all the air filters in your house to keep them from re-stinking your house.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Mythbusters did an episode:
    http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/skunk-smell.htm

Read the comments, as there are some warnings about what sort of container to put it in.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    Did you scrub them down with towels or what not? The skunk spray is an oil and it's pretty tough to get out of your animal's skin if it's not cleaned properly. If it's still on your towels, you might as well throw them out instead of throwing them in the wash again. Your washing machine might retain some of the oil in the drum.

At this point, airing out your place or using some air eliminators would be your best bet!

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    That mixture in the mythbusters article came up in my quick search, but I didn't have near enough of the ingredients to clean one, let alone 2, dogs.

The nature's miracle seems to have helped a lot. If one of them is right next to me, I can still smell a slight bit of skunk today, so once I get out and buy more, I'll give them another cleaning.

And, yes, I used towels. I think they're still outside, unless my wife cleaned them up.

The house either doesn't smell anymore, or I've gotten so used to it that I don't notice anymore.

In any case, with a couple of applications, I think we can add nature's miracle to the list of stuff that works reasonably well.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    We used the peroxide mixture when our dog was sprayed last year and it worked great. Used paper towel to wipe off as much as possible to start which made the cleaning easier. The skunk also got shot right after it sprayed.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    This skunk escaped under my porch after I managed to get all the dogs under control (note: My wife and I have 5 dogs of our own, 3 dogs that are owned by a rescue foundation but live with us full time, another 15-20 dogs at any time that are owned by the rescue foundation but are up for adoption, and anywhere between 3 and 7 boarded dogs.) Rest assured, you vanguards of nose freedom, that now that the 8 year peace treaty has been voided, I will be eliminating skunks near my house.