Options

[TRANS] thread, whatever

19495969798100»

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    But then if you knew then previously with their old name, you would have no idea who I am talking about if you did not know about their name change which is the situation I am taking about.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Blake T wrote: »
    But then if you knew then previously with their old name, you would have no idea who I am talking about if you did not know about their name change which is the situation I am taking about.

Let them explain it if they want to. There's a reason it's called a deadname.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I think his problem is trying to refer to a mutual friend to someone who hasn't learned the new name yet. There really isn't a way to just completely ignore the old name in that scenario since that is the only one both parties have ever heard. Blake could just use "Barry" but it would end in the question of "Who is Barry?" which brings it right back to what is being asked about now.

I would say ask "Barry" how he feels the situation should be handled. There is no elegant or universal answer here. Telling he name without asking runs some very serious risks, but obviously using thre wrong one is problematic. "Barry" likely has the answer though as this will not be a problem unique to you or rare since you can't tell everyone you have ever known all at once.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I think his problem is trying to refer to a mutual friend to someone who hasn't learned the new name yet. There really isn't a way to just completely ignore the old name in that scenario since that is the only one both parties have ever heard. Blake could just use "Barry" but it would end in the question of "Who is Barry?" which brings it right back to what is being asked about now.

I would say ask "Barry" how he feels the situation should be handled. There is no elegant or universal answer here. Telling he name without asking runs some very serious risks, but obviously using thre wrong one is problematic. "Barry" likely has the answer though as this will not be a problem unique to you or rare since you can't tell everyone you have ever known all at once.

maybe Barry hasn't told this other friend yet. Maybe Barry hasn't told this other friend yet for a reason

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So ask barry is the right answer then

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The safety aspect isn't one I considered (and feel a little silly in not considering it) and is a good point. Thanks.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

maybe Barry hasn't told this other friend yet. Maybe Barry hasn't told this other friend yet for a reason

Exactly why you would want to ask. Exactly why it would run a lot of risks to use the name without asking what to do.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A very sweet, fascinating and mildly depressing story about a transgender Malawi woman cropped up on my feed today

(warning for occasional misgendering: the author of the piece never gets it wrong, but some of the interviewees use male pronouns, and a lot of the local media seems to refer to her as 'gay', which she isn't).

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/nov/27/-sp-transgender-relationship-jail-exile-tiwonge-chimbalanga

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    heres my uh, non-feminine voice with feminine presentation

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    anonymous asked:
    I sometimes see people seeming to use the mental illness suggestion as a way to put trans people down, to suggest that they shouldn't receive anything like HRT or SRS and just need to "get over it". Is it super shitty or wrong to say that rather than viewing trans people as having a mental illness you can instead view them as having a physical illness where their body has developed incorrectly?

These sounds like the same assholes who believe people with depression or anxiety should get over it too. fuck those guys.

Being trans is a matter of being one gender and showing the sexual characteristics of another. Some people go their whole lives being okay with it, others not so much

• Options
    Too expand: the difference between your internal gender and your body is what causes mental and emotional issues. Especially when you're forced into rigid social roles based on how you look.

This discussion has been closed.