Options

[TRANS] thread, whatever

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I noticed a good thing today. A guy at my uni (his friend called him by a masculine name so I'm hesitating he identifies as male) was in the queue in front of me to buy a cup of tea and he was dressed in a black dramatic dress, feminine jewellery, make up and heels, he looked great! And no one battered an eyelid. He looked really comfortable and it made me chuffed he was able to dress in a non confirming way and no one cared.

I thought good for you! Boring story over.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    if you're not sure how to gender someone, Liiya

just use pronouns like "they" and "them"

it may feel a little awkward, at first, but it's a super elegant solution once you get a handle on it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

it may feel a little awkward, at first, but it's a super elegant solution once you get a handle on it

I started doing this months ago. The only people who notice are the ones who recognize and appreciate it.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

Ohh is that what to do? I didn't know that - thank you!

I spent ages wondering how I should refer to them, hope I didn't bother anyone by possibly buggering it up!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Happy to see the World Warrior spotlight video for Street Fighter IV Capcom Unity using the right pronoun for Ricky Ortiz.

I don't particularly LIKE Ricky Ortiz (she's pretty vulgar in her tweets, also she mains Rufus) but she's an amazing player and I think it's flipping awesome how the dominant voices in that community have acted about everything.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Perhaps tmi but jelly is uh...tough to clean/disinfect thoroughly

So basically wrap that shit up or buy something you can boil

fair point! yeah, id say cleaning is the only downside

To continue the semi-tmi theme

If you check out Tantus (not linking because hella NSFW toy store), they often have 'grab bag' deals where they've made their normal full price items in weird colors or slightly busted up molds for an amazing price (like more than 50% off, plus there's a 10% coupon floating around their site)

Semi-affordable silicone for everyone!!!

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I hope we get another trans thread...

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I hope we get another trans thread...

Once every two months is enough

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Oi!

I got yo' grab bag deal right *here*

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey guys you know how I say sometimes that this isn't really a place for graphic sex talk

Talking about methods for inserting toys into your anus qualifies as graphic sex talk

• Options
    always thinking with our butts, we are

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Hey guys you know how I say sometimes that this isn't really a place for graphic sex talk

Talking about methods for inserting toys into your anus qualifies as graphic sex talk

Holy shit and for once it wasn't me

• Options
    Haha

"Holy" shit

• Options
    I feel like I give enough of these warnings to a select enough group of people that from now in I'm not going to give in-thread warnings.

• Options
    Because the toys punched holes in...

Never mind

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    i should have taken it to pm's, sure. but i looked it over and i didnt give instructions to on how put stuff in places

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    i remember, after typing out a long diatribe of things one COULD do in drafts but then i thought oh dear god someone is gonna puke if i type that out

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't see anything explicit, but I got the feeling that was more advanced warning than warning about a specific incident.

MKR on
  • Options
    I feel like I give enough of these warnings to a select enough group of people that from now in I'm not going to give in-thread warnings.

In my defense, what I do hardly qualified as "sex" to any sane person.

• Options
    shifting gears

whats the consensus on the trans man in that new dragon age

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's a trans dude in the new dragon age?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    From what I have seen in clips it seems fine, looks wise and vocally pretty ambigious and they seem to treat him with respect and any words to the contrary that he is anything but male are shut down.

But I am yet to play it, its just the scenes I've seen on YT.

• Options

Yeah. Played by Jennifer Hale, who actually isn't bad.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    shifting gears

whats the consensus on the trans man in that new dragon age

Well-portrayed and a fascinating character

I posted a clip with some of the stuff concerning that character in this thread, if people were interested in watching it, I think it's a page or two back?

It's a shame that they're not a party member, since it'd be kind of cool if they were, but ah well

What would be really cool if there was a DLC or something where you got to play as Iron Bull and Bull's Chargers, and Bull's party members would include Krem (the character in question)

he gets a fair amount of backstory, and you basically get a choice on how you interact with and react to him. You can opt to sorta just not respond to his gender or identity at all and glide over the subject, or you can be understanding and ask pretty sympathetic questions, which he's fairly considerate about, or you can misgender him and be kind of a shithead in general, which both Krem and Iron Bull get really shitty with you about and the game makes kind of clear you're kind of being an asshole for doing

Dragon Age: Origins kind of dodged gender and sexuality issues in like, saying "Yep, there are queer people and stuff, but nobody in Thedas really cares and the few people who do are kind of assholes and they only get mentioned in background codex entries and you will never encounter homophobia or transphobia in the game ever"

Dragon Age 2 had all the romance options be protagonisexuals, so you could romance basically anyone who was an option and their sexuality would just automatically be compatible with yours and again, no mention was really made of any of it, and there was a pretty unfortunate trans character in the one DLC which has already been talked about

Dragon Age: Inquisition seems to be trying to turn all of that around. Krem is a trans man who is treated with respect and esteem by his peers and defended by those close to him, but his backstory also includes instances of transphobic violence and prejudice so clearly that is a thing in Thedas and they're not just pretending it doesn't exist either. In fact (spoilers related to Iron Bull and Krem):
    It's why Iron Bull wears an eyepatch. Krem was being assaulted by some dudes in a bar, and it's implied because it was an act of transphobic violence. Bull stepped in, not even knowing Krem at the time but wanting to defend him from these people, and took a hit to the face that cost him an eye. It's how they met and became friends.

There's also gay characters in the game, not just bisexuals or protagonisexuals who just are down with whatever you're into, but actual homosexuals with their own defined sexuality, and in at least one instance with one specific character there's some homophobia involved in their backstory and some awful shit that has happened to them as a result of prejudice and ignorance.

So, I think Krem is a fantastic character, and a good start to seeing more trans characters included in major mainstream video games. I wish Krem was a playable character instead of a background NPC, but ah well. It's a start, and a balm after the way these issues have been mishandled with this series in the past.

That the game handles queer issues in general a lot better than previous games is notable, I think.

• Options

As much as I like Jennifer Hale

I can't help but wish they casted a trans dude

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    holy christ Krem's backstory, though

if you build Approval with Iron Bull and get to know Bull and the Chargers a bit more, you unlock more dialogue options with Krem and you get to hear more about his backstory (this also requires you not being an asshat towards him about his gender)

and god damn

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

I was doing this before I even understood transgender issues.

There was a gal in a wow guild I used to run with who, in hindsight, was probably transgendered.

She had a man's voice, but insisted she wasn't a man, which confused the shit out of me at the time.

But I ended up just shrugging and used neutral pronouns after that.

So, I mean, even if you don't really understand these issues, it's not really hard to adapt.

Just don't be a dick, I guess?

That part isn't directed at Liiya, but just cisgendered folk in general.

Edit: also, Happy Thanksgiving, Trans thread.

I hope we get another one of you soon.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I don't even refer to people's voices as a "man's" or "woman's" voice

just rate it by pitch

high, low, etc.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Y'know, that line of thought never even occurred to me.

I'll try to be more thoughtful about that in the future.

• Options
    I'm going to have to look into this dragon age game.

• Options

only thing i will caution you is it is the third game in the series and it is VERY heavily invested in the lore of the setting

like the entire story is deeply intertwined with the religion, politics, and culture of the setting and if you haven't played the previous two games you may be completely lost

i have no idea how unfriendly it may be to newcomers, my gut says "very unfriendly"

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

So I'm not in the VA department, and as such I'm not super knowledgeable about the specifics of what happened, but I asked that question, and they did make an effort - but we have to abide by a whole host of regulations when it comes to voice actors and we couldn't get anyone that would pass legal scrutiny, so at the eleventh hour they decided to go with someone they knew would treat the role respectfully.

EDIT: To be clear! I'm not saying it's not a valid criticism, it absolutely is.

And, I mean, any other criticisms of how we handled Krem are just as valid. There is nothing I worked on in the entire game that made me as worried regarding the reception as Krem, because the absolute last thing anyone involved with his creation would want is to cause pain to anyone we know. So please, if you do play the game and have thoughts, I and the writer would both very much welcome them.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

only thing i will caution you is it is the third game in the series and it is VERY heavily invested in the lore of the setting

like the entire story is deeply intertwined with the religion, politics, and culture of the setting and if you haven't played the previous two games you may be completely lost

i have no idea how unfriendly it may be to newcomers, my gut says "very unfriendly"

I have two friends who are newcomers who haven't had any trouble, and some reviewers said they haven't had much issue picking it up

You should be fine

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hey vsove, you're good people

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    vsove you seriously need to stop this. You are dangerously close to making me want to buy your games. Bioware has always failed to capture my interest with gameplay. I don't need to be hurt all over again!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    vsove wrote: »

So I'm not in the VA department, and as such I'm not super knowledgeable about the specifics of what happened, but I asked that question, and they did make an effort - but we have to abide by a whole host of regulations when it comes to voice actors and we couldn't get anyone that would pass legal scrutiny, so at the eleventh hour they decided to go with someone they knew would treat the role respectfully.

EDIT: To be clear! I'm not saying it's not a valid criticism, it absolutely is.

And, I mean, any other criticisms of how we handled Krem are just as valid. There is nothing I worked on in the entire game that made me as worried regarding the reception as Krem, because the absolute last thing anyone involved with his creation would want is to cause pain to anyone we know. So please, if you do play the game and have thoughts, I and the writer would both very much welcome them.

@vsove thank you for putting yourself on the line to explain it

I have more opinions on the subject, but I think I'll save them for my eventual DAI write-up

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I just learned something cool!

I'm a fan of Steam Powered Giraffe and one of the members is a trans woman, but her character (Rabbit) was made before she came out as trans (I don't know the correct verb, I'm sorry. From the interviews she's given it seemed like a combination of being confused and in the closet, again, sorry if I'm using the wrong words) so in a prior interview I watched she kept Rabbit as a "Male" automaton just because it seemed easier than trying to explain it all.

8540396551_8840361341_z.jpg
    Rabbit is on the left

But then I saw in my Youtube feed that they're going to be making a song for a game that's coming out and they had the music video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8XRFjRng4&list=UUS6RRU53yk8AEXmpmh0DpIw

And I was confused because I saw Rabbit's face, but on a female automaton's chassis, so I went to their website and read up on the bios
    Many years later, at the start of the new year in 2014, Rabbit started going more haywire. Fearing a blue-matter leak, Peter Walter VI went to repair the mysterous inner workings by referencing a previously thought lost blueprint of Rabbit.

Much to the Walter's surprise, Peter Walter the First always intended Rabbit to be a girl but never completed her due to the war that broke out between him and his rival inventor way back when.

Peter Walter VI fixed Rabbit best he could, finally finishing the job on the incomplete automaton girl.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Those are some incredibly cool costumes!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Actually I just thought of a question.

I know someone who now identifies as intersex with a male name. Is there a more tactful way of referring to them to people who are unaware of their changes other than, "Barry who used to go by Jane" because it just feels a bit clunky and disrespectful in general, as they've left that name behind and I would like to show them respect by not using it as well.

Is there a better way of saying it?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Probably just Barry?

This discussion has been closed.