As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MtG] Everyone's uncle works for WOTC

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    BW warriors, curved out to sorin and roc

She lost first round of top 8, but dang she was kicking faces

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Came second at game day with izzit soul blade, my buddy came third with that mono red list from a while back... only he couldn't find hammer hands so it was extra garbage can special.

I've been trying to piece together stuff to run some abzan agro (and I opened a sorin today off my prize) but I'm not sure I want to do anything in standard right now other than ensoul on turn 2 and beat face.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    I should have run sligh instead of getting cute with heroes

Winning fnm last night was actually super bad for me, it convinced me my heroic list was rad, and it isnt rad its basically a theros block constructed deck with swiftspears and hammerhands shoved in because I apparently think interfering with blocking is extra important in a deck that goes 10 dudes wide

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hey man don't knock hammerhand

i love the stupidity of turn 1 swiftspear/denizen, turn 2 akroan crusader + hammerhand

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hammerhand is my favorite card in standard. It just doesn't work in rw heroes.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Might I interest you in dragon mantle

... and some mana dorks and blue cards and a particular ascendancy

• Options
    Yeah my last round in top four I had the worst fuckin luck on draws, I drew twelve land out of twenty, every mana creature, and one commune with the gods... which pulled me a mana guy. I just... kept playing guys and blocking. I could have gone off with literally every other spell in the deck.

I'm not salty about it, I've been playing way too fucking long to get upset about the random factors of the game, just man this deck either draws its shit to combo off or it doesn't and you lose, there's no come from behind resiliency

• Options
    What's your ascendancy list

• Options
    Okay someone tell me I'm crazy here

I'm running 4 caryatid, 4 rattleclaw, 3 kiora's follower, 2 twinflame

I'm thinking of cutting the followers for treasure cruises

My deck right now is

2 twinflame
    3 followers
    4 caryatid
    4 rattleclaw
    3 taigam's scheming
    4 dig through time
    4 commune with the gods
    4 retraction helix
    4 dragon mantle
    4 jeskai ascendancy
    2 astral cornucopia
    1 burning anger
    1 altar of the brood

20 land

Take out the followers, go up to four scheming and add two treasure cruise

I just felt like I always had enough dorks with rattleclaw and caryatid, I can go off with twinflame too, sometimes easier

Whereas I never had enough digging to actually get me to my business spells

Also I hear ancestral recall is pretty good guys I don't know

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I made top 4, split with the other guys. Alot of people did not seem thrilled with me.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    I run followers, but only because I don't run twinflame. In the cantrip enchantment engine they let you win without going infinite, but this version doesn't start partying until you hit the mantle/helix loop, and then you do whatever you want, so I can see throwing them out for extra draw.

Tormenting voice only digs 2 deep as opposed to 3 from cruise, but it also fuels dig through time and filters crap. How many situations are you going to be able to either dig or cruise but not both, compared to how many times you can drop voice to create just enough delve material to immediately play dig.

Voice > dig is a believable play, cruise > dig isn't going to happen

My 2 cents

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Do you think Twinflame isn't needed in the purse/helix combo? It definitely felt like the weakest card while I was playing.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Man, I played 3 drafts on MTGO today, and in two of them my first round opponent was playing Jeskai and had Jeskai Ascendency. That card is ridiculous even in draft. I could never get an advantage over it.

But I did run a U/G deck to a 3-0 victory on the back of Icewing Avens and combat tricks so that felt pretty good. The final game if the final match had me winning at 3 life to -1 with my opponent having a 7/8 Siege Rhino and 5 other dudes on the board.

jgeis on
  • Options
    T bonk that is actually really good advice, I will probably do that instead, though the lure of basically-ancestral-recall is calling me if only because I wasn't playing when actual recall (started playing in ice age) or vision (took a break for a couple years right when time spiral came out) were legal. Wish tv was an instant though.
    tsplitter wrote: »
    Do you think Twinflame isn't needed in the purse/helix combo? It definitely felt like the weakest card while I was playing.

I really like that it basically becomes a hasty mana creature. Sometimes I have all the pieces except the opponent keeps killing my guys so having that slight element of surprise lets me either piecemeal the combo together over a couple turns or try to do it all at once without summoning sickness or giving them a whole turn to react.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I absolutely agree that Voice should be in. My final list will probably be 4 Dig and 2-3 Voice and no cruise.

As for the Dorks, I'm not comfortable going down to a mere 8, but I don't think you need 12. I'm not a fan of Voyaging Sartyr due to all the Pain Lands and fact that Follower just fixes your mana better (ie if your pinched on W and R, about have a Caryatid, Follower can let you go off, Satyr can't). I could be wrong about that.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Buddy made top 8, I made top 4. Mardu Aristocrats performed admirably until top 4 when I flooded to shit in games 2 and 3.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    I'm gonna have to jigger with my mana base no matter what I do; I don't have enough white sources. I actually played (and went off) an astral cornucopia for 3 today just to get down an ascendancy. I only have two mana confluences which I'm kinda peeved about. And I might be playing too many temples? I think I'm running 11. Scrying is really really nice in this deck. I would probably play 20 if I could.

...shit. that's not the worst idea. The only important thing is finding your combo pieces right? EVERYTHING MUST DIG

• Options
    i have 4x butcher of the horde and really want to play mardu butcher but i do not have the manabase for it right now and it sucks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ...hell of temples is not the worst idea I've heard

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    i have 4x butcher of the horde and really want to play mardu butcher but i do not have the manabase for it right now and it sucks

If confluence is your worry, I don't run it and I'm fine. Just design your curve right.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    no i'm short w/b and r/b temples

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm tempted to convert my current R/W Fireworks deck (Brad Nelson PT list) into Mardu, but I like how streamlined the current list is. I've found the two-color version to be very consistent and it really doesn't have any terrible matchups. I'll probably just leave the list as-is and get some practice in this week before SCG Minneapolis next weekend.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Been wondering if there's room for Ensoul arti at all in the Jeskai combo, not sure what moves for it tho, but the cornucopia being a 5/5 when combo isn't ready would sure help with the whole holding off til you can combo.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I feel like that would just give your opponent another target for Downfall, Cut, or Crackling Doom

• Options
    Any cards that don't find you combo pieces or operate the engine are cards that make an already kind of rickety deck even less stable

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Only made 13th. I feel like losing die rolls to figure out who was going first really did not help me out today.

but I did have a keranos on board, at 3 life with 7 lands, go to reveal the top of my deck to my opponent

Resolute Archangel, cast archangel, i go to 20?

he was just like 'uh what the hell does that card do???'

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Oh, and bolt you from Keranos trigger too. Heh. Pass turn.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    It's legitimately my new favorite thing i've done with that deck now

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brian Kibler is 9-0 at GP LA with Temur "Aggro"*. Deck looks sweet and I always enjoy watching Kibler win.

*Only in quotes because I find it ironic that it's way more of a tempo deck then Jeskai ever was.

• Options
    More tempo, sure, but less Alfonso

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I feel like that would just give your opponent another target for Downfall, Cut, or Crackling Doom
    Knob wrote: »
    Any cards that don't find you combo pieces or operate the engine are cards that make an already kind of rickety deck even less stable

Ya basically my thought too, just, I dunno like a smidgen more dig or defense could prevent that reverse smash it sets itself up for sometimes, but /shrug at what's gonna provide it.

Edit: Gamble keeps popping into head and then I remember that's just cause I saw tons of it in Vintage Masters and it's not actually in standard. Vintage Masters messed with my standard memories.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Brian Kibler is 9-0 at GP LA with Temur "Aggro"*. Deck looks sweet and I always enjoy watching Kibler win.

*Only in quotes because I find it ironic that it's way more of a tempo deck then Jeskai ever was.

this makes me really happy because that is the deck I'm running a budget version of

• Options
    Hello my name is whippy and I only play decks where every land comes into play tapped

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    So that's how this store works. Whatever won last weekend literally everyone plays.

So I don't play what I want, I build whatever smokes that one deck specifically no matter how silly or crippled against any other deck and roll face.

Yeah, those sorts of stores tend to be super flavour of the week so you can just reverse engineer them to build something that can beat them.

Also woo! Space Jam'd my way to 4-0-1 to make top eight and then swept a RG aggro, Abzan midrange and Abzan aggro to win the playmat. (Though they're still waiting on prizes to arrive)

• Options
    Okay, I have a binder full of valuable cards and winnings now

Cards I can convert into a decent manabase, which is the only thing stopping me from playing a deck I love that handles abzan rhino shit better that anything else

Which means, its time to slam and welcome to the jam

• Options
    Also a guy at our store got top eight before we realised he was playing a card from innistrad in his deck

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's impressive. What card?

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    got 3rd at game day

lost to abzan in top 8. that deck is so free until it sees sorin, then it is me that is the free one

which is kinda frustrating but i got my 4 promo heirs and thats all i cared about

now only 11 cards in my main are not promo or foil or both someone send help i have a problem

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

liliana of the veil

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

liliana of the veil

it was almost reprinted in m15, close enough!

This discussion has been closed.