As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cicada [chat] about Cicadas, with some [chat]

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    okay broar you are a ratling alchemist

you will shoot guns and brew potions and also you have a mutation which gives you random +1 each level

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

So how many death threats and for what?

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Quid on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    LUD YOU IDIOT, YOU MISSED YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO POST ABOUT SMOKE MACHINES AND SOMEHOW RELATE IT TO BACK TO BILL MURRAY!

i texted him.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Remember Elliot Rodgers, the Santa Barbara shooter a couple months ago? GamerGate is basically a bunch of people like him, using 'video games' as the medium to complain about misandry and the evils of feminism/women who have sex.

Just MRA guys who call themselves gamers.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That live cycle is missing Death by Cat.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Could someone give me a brief explanation for what's going on a gamers gate?

...also what is gamersgate?

I am literally the worst gamer.

Zoe Quinn made a game.
    Her ex-boyfriend said she cheated on him, maybe with some guy from Kotaku.
    4chan did some really quite horrible things.
    People outside of 4chan did some even more horrible things.
    Now all sexist assholes who play video games are sexist.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I don't want to talk about gamergate because if one more person makes the same tired non-argument that death threats are rote and not credible so why are the women being targeted making such a big deal you don't see men making a big deal will these women stop being martyrs and also this is about journalism corruption not about hating women I will explode

the mushroom cloud that will erupt from my body will be seen from space

you will find scraps of my flesh in fucking Thailand

the energy signature will be so powerful it will form a wormhole to a parallel dimension in my place

in that parallel dimension, stupidity is punishable by death

they will invade Earth and begin the Great Cleanse

where are your Avengers now, humans

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    God I hate bugs so much.

This is why Caterpie needs hugs.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i didn't know that Briannu Wu fled

:(

i just realized that i met her a couple times

she seemed nice

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    desc you are a human knight, sir desc the odorous

I choose the skeevy looking portrait for you hehehe

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Dragonflies > cicadas.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    See this cleared up my biggest misconception. I thought gamersgate was some site or forum full of assholes. I see that it's just the internet being the shitty old internet. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Deebaser wrote:
    Did you see my other post? I have a friend that is an editor of a small town free newspaper that has received death threats. That's a lot closer to the mark of vidya game writer and probably has a much smaller readership than a lot of even small time bloggers

I did. I don't know why it prompted you to post an even less analogous position but I don't find that one especially compelling either. Readership for their physical paper is at its lowest at 150k+ readers. That doesn't include their internet blogs. Sarkeesian only recently had as many subscribers as the newspaper alone in the last few months.

Though out of curiosity how often was your friend's home address tweeted and retweeted by a movement totally not about misogyny hating journalists?

150K? Internet blogs? What? Dude, im talking small. The town in question has a population of 50,000. The paper is basically the pennysaver with articles. The point of both anecdotes is that if you are a public figure in any capacity some asshole is going to send you a threat. It sucks, but it's sadly the way shit has been for a long while and it's not news. There's always going to be some asshole.

Oh sorry I misread.

Cause Sarkeesian isn't being attacked by that one asshole down the street that everyone knows is a total jerk.

Anonymous and does the frequency really matter?
    They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing. The person making them probably lives a lot closer than @SephirothHitler420

Deebaser on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    whats more terrifying, a horse sized praying mantis or 50 praying mantis sized horses

• Options
    hakkes you are the minotaur barbarian rounding out my party

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    see, J is doing a thing that I specifically talked about at the end of the last thread. Gonna quote it again, in case some missed it. J probably did.

It's from this article, which everyone should read: http://deadspin.com/the-future-of-the-culture-wars-is-here-and-its-gamerga-1646145844
    There is a reason why, in all the Gamergate rhetoric, you hear the echoes of every other social war staged in the last 30 years: overly politically correct, social-justice warriors, the media elite, gamers are not a monolith. There is also a reason why so much of the rhetoric amounts to a vigorous argument that Being a gamer doesn't mean you're sexist, racist, and stupid—a claim no one is making. Co-opting the language and posture of grievance is how members of a privileged class express their belief that the way they live shouldn't have to change, that their opponents are hypocrites and perhaps even the real oppressors. This is how you get St. Louisans sincerely explaining that Ferguson protestors are the real racists, and how you end up with an organized group of precisely the same video game enthusiasts to whom an entire industry is catering honestly believing that they're an oppressed minority. From this kind of ideological fortification, you can stage absolutely whatever campaigns you deem necessary.

emphasis mine

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

The short version: nerds think they uncovered this massive conspiracy because of relationship between game designers and journalists, specifically women game designers, and have used that to "root out corruption in game journalism, while not fully having an understanding of what corruption or journalism is, and if rooting out means organizing campaigns of harassment against said game designers and their friends.

Also it's gamergate because people are fucking stupid.

for real

the smart money was on "bengamezi"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

No one had an entire internet movement against them because they thought the graphics in current games were sub par

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    tbh the bomb/shooting threat against Sarkeesian at USU yesterday sounded exactly like it was written by Rodgers

it fucking irritates the shit about me, because I feel like it's any day till we get someone else just like him

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Zoe Quinn made a game.

There have always been sexist assholes who do sexist asshole things. But now it's a claim made about "gaming culture", whatever that is.

I'm pretty sure "gaming culture" is not making death threats, and doxing that poor woman.

It shouldn't be called gamergate. It should be called "Tom, Gary, and Hank the sexist assholes gate."

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    whats more terrifying, a horse sized praying mantis or 50 praying mantis sized horses

Look at these tiny brontosauruses!

6NMUjOA.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    the death threats concern me less than the other shit gamersgate does (like, spreading nude pictures of zoe quinn to every corner of the internet that they can), because every "internet celebrity" gets death threats. The real tragedy is people who don't WANT to become internet famous or whatever are, like, I feel much worse for Zoe Quinn than Anita Sarks since only one of those chose to become "internet famous"

Phillip Defranco gets death threats and that guy is as as inoffensive as possible with his opinions

override367 on
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing. The person making them probably lives a lot closer than @SephirothHitler420

Yeah actually the frequency is indeed pretty important. How it's done too.

But feel free to dismiss what's happening to these other people. I won't stop you.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    hakkes you are the minotaur barbarian rounding out my party

what gaem is this

am i this one

jq37ela7xp5zqyspreux.jpg

(contractually obligated by @BEAST! to support the seahawks)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I don't want to talk about gamergate because if one more person makes the same tired non-argument that death threats are rote and not credible so why are the women being targeted making such a big deal you don't see men making a big deal will these women stop being martyrs and also this is about journalism corruption not about hating women I will explode

the mushroom cloud that will erupt from my body will be seen from space

you will find scraps of my flesh in fucking Thailand

the energy signature will be so powerful it will form a wormhole to a parallel dimension in my place

in that parallel dimension, stupidity is punishable by death

they will invade Earth and begin the Great Cleanse

where are your Avengers now, humans

All the hugs, hakke

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    videogames are for fun they dont need journalism.

Is mario jumping so high with the help of performance enhancing mushrooms? More at 11.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

Zoe Quinn made a game.

There have always been sexist assholes who do sexist asshole things. But now it's a claim made about "gaming culture", whatever that is.

I'm pretty sure "gaming culture" is not making death threats, and doxing that poor woman.

It shouldn't be called gamergate. It should be called "Tom, Gary, and Hank the sexist assholes gate."

christ, you are fucking half-assing your posts today

fucking pull it up, mate

seriously, this is what you are doing:
    20141015-theperfectcrime.png

you are better at logic and argument than this

come on

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Forgot I went in at 7 today.

Could have opened bottle of wine 45 minutes ago.

Such problems

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Zoe Quinn made a game.
    Now all men who play video games are sexist.

as always, we can count on _J_ to provide nuanced commentary

not all J's

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Zoe Quinn made a game.
    Now all men who play video games are sexist.

A decent post up til the bolded.

Now all men who play video games, except Quid and Pony, are sexist.

Fixed.

im definitely sexiest and i played a video game once

therefoer all men are sexiest

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pony wrote: »
    see, J is doing a thing that I specifically talked about at the end of the last thread. Gonna quote it again, in case some missed it. J probably did.

It's from this article, which everyone should read: http://deadspin.com/the-future-of-the-culture-wars-is-here-and-its-gamerga-1646145844
    There is a reason why, in all the Gamergate rhetoric, you hear the echoes of every other social war staged in the last 30 years: overly politically correct, social-justice warriors, the media elite, gamers are not a monolith. There is also a reason why so much of the rhetoric amounts to a vigorous argument that Being a gamer doesn't mean you're sexist, racist, and stupid—a claim no one is making. Co-opting the language and posture of grievance is how members of a privileged class express their belief that the way they live shouldn't have to change, that their opponents are hypocrites and perhaps even the real oppressors. This is how you get St. Louisans sincerely explaining that Ferguson protestors are the real racists, and how you end up with an organized group of precisely the same video game enthusiasts to whom an entire industry is catering honestly believing that they're an oppressed minority. From this kind of ideological fortification, you can stage absolutely whatever campaigns you deem necessary.

emphasis mine

Except they are making that claim, by calling it "Group"-gate.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Deebaser wrote:

Oh sorry I misread.

They are threats made anonymously by one or a few people in a small audience over some bullshit like the coverage of a local car show or some thing.

I think the frequency does matter, yes. Is that a real question?

Well since we're keeping score for some reason, I think I received 2. One was sent to my parent's house so that was cool.
    I have no idea how many my editor buddy receives, but they come in the form of email and "actual fucking letters".
    is that enough?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    What you don't know about Link may shock you.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Hey guys you know what's really great.

"Is it gamergate?"

heck no
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nmeYirsvA

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

emphasis mine

Except they are making that claim, by calling it "Group"-gate.
    no
    gamers called it gamer gate
    god fucking damnit

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    GAMERS CALLED IT GAMERGATE
    *explodes*

• Options
    edited October 2014
    THAT IS NOT TO SAY DEATH THREATS ARE ACCEPTABLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM OR THAT ANYONE WHO RECEIVES THEM DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY

I was just saying I think the gross privacy violations are worse to me

that any of the people in this thing have to experience any of that is horrible

like what Zoe Quinn is going through is sickening

I probably would have killed myself because I don't have the stomach for that level of hatred

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.