As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new [Star Citizen] thread

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    God fucking damnit, I want to like this game so bad but it is so difficult to control.

I got half way through un fucking the controls using my Thrustmaster T setup, only for halfway through the game decided to stop reading I had a HOTAS at all. lol wut.

And the sensitivity is off the charts. Even when I set it to either extreme it made no difference. And now when I pull up or down or left or right I just pitch up. I don't understand.

I'm just having a melt down. it worked for a fleeting few seconds and now I can only pitch down or roll left and I didn't change anything. What the fuck.

edit: I literally just dont understand why it would stop working. I can only pitch yaw and roll in one direction, no matter what direction on the axis I twist or pull. How does this even happen.

edit2: Fine, I give up. You win, SC, I'll use keyboard and mouse like everyone else. Apparently aiming with a joystick is a pain in the dick anyways.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ya... the game isn't really good yet
    i wouldn't worry about it

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I know, and S42 is still a year away or so.

Just tried the keyboard and mouse. Also very sensitive, with seemingly little acceleration when making fine maneuvers until WAM, you've over shot your turn horribly. I think this game has strayed too close to realistic for my tastes. I feel like I'm flailing around every time I try to turn because my ship has so much inertia on the yaw, which is incredibly uncomfortable.

I'm just getting super serious buyers remorse from this. This is not Starlancer, this is Arma in Space, and that's just not my cup of tea. I just spent three hours trying to understand the controls. I can't afford that in my life anymore.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

Just tried the keyboard and mouse. Also very sensitive, with seemingly little acceleration when making fine maneuvers until WAM, you've over shot your turn horribly. I think this game has strayed too close to realistic for my tastes. I feel like I'm flailing around every time I try to turn because my ship has so much inertia on the yaw, which is incredibly uncomfortable.

I'm just getting super serious buyers remorse from this. This is not Starlancer, this is Arma in Space, and that's just not my cup of tea. I just spent three hours trying to understand the controls. I can't afford that in my life anymore.

Honestly my laptop isn't even good enough to start the program, so I won't find out how I like it for a long time now. If I'm not a fan of flying I'll more than likely rent my ship(s) out and stick to turrets/subsystems or FPS boarding actions. That way I can still enjoy the universe without getting constantly frustrated by that part of it.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I the brief foray I had with it before they had a patch that forced you to uninstall the game and reinstall, I found the controls to be very..uh.. Yeah. You need like a complete Flight Simulator setup for it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    @OpposingFarce What worked for me, joystick+throttle+pedals wise, was having roll on the joystick X axis, pitch on the joystick Y axis (of course) and yaw on the pedals (or Z) axis. For each axis, I went into my CH Control Manager and gave them sensitivity curves such that the first ~15% of movement on the axis produces less input than the remaining 85%. This gives me much finer control over small movements.

It definitely sounds like your controls have gotten mucked up at some point. I know it's frustrating, but if you wiped them out and redid them you'd probably be better off. Start with just the maneuvering basics and fly around for a while.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's all still very much a work in progress, so I wouldn't take anything at all to heart at this point.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular

Just tried the keyboard and mouse. Also very sensitive, with seemingly little acceleration when making fine maneuvers until WAM, you've over shot your turn horribly. I think this game has strayed too close to realistic for my tastes.

Which mouse mode did you use?
    I vastly prefer using relative mode, and have found the controls satisfying and precise enough.

causality.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    The game controls quite well on my 3D Pro and almost as well on my 360 controller. They'll fix a lot of these issues for advanced control setups but it's probably not a priority at the moment. Though, that may change when the super fancy HOTAS goes on sale.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I need to get my joystick mappings made and jump back into AC...it's been far too long since I played and I never delved completely into the controls

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Which ship are you using?

The faster/more nimble ships can be a pain in the ass to control even for experienced players, let alone someone who is new to SC or even new to space sims in general.

My recommendation would be to hop into an Aurora and dick around in freeflight for a little while so you can get the hang of 6dof/SC spaceflight at a slower pace. It might be kinda boring because you'll literally be flying a space cargo van, but you'll be able to get a feel for the controls without having to worry about overcorrecting or going too fast. Once you get the hang of just dickaround flying than you could check out the proper tutorial that teaches you more advanced stuff (as well as dogfighting).

You can use the code CITCONFLIGHT2K15 on the RSI website to get access to every currently flyable ship in Arena Commander until October 25th if you don't have an Aurora. If you're getting frustrated and your timezone isn't too goofy than you could probably talk someone into doing some multiplayer freeflight with you to go over some basics in a non-hostile environment.

• Options
    Also, if you use the CITCONFLIGHT2K15 code and then go to your hangar on the RSI website and reinitialize (or just remove all of your ships from your hangar) and start the game than all of the freeflight ships will be in your hangar instead.

This is cool if you want to walk around and check them all out without having to fire up Arena Commander.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Fuselage wrote: »

It does really say something about how we work around here that I was looking for the acronym way before I bothered to even read the label.

I was not disappointed.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited October 2015

It does really say something about how we work around here that I was looking for the acronym way before I bothered to even read the label.

I was not disappointed.

You don't know how many times I double-checked myself to make sure I didn't misspell anything before sending it.

Edit: Also the time zones are unchanged from the original sheet's Time Zone Tri$%@!ta. The theory behind that one is that it'll be easier to play if you know who generally plays at the same time as you due to work, family, or being halfway across the globe.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Apparently they surpassed 1 Megapeople last night.

Pretty amazing how far they have come in the (nearly) 2 years since I first backed the game!

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So the Xi'an scout is getting closer to completion and it sounds like it'll make for a very fun ship.

10 for the Designers ep 06:
    Answer wrote:
    Question wrote:
    So the Spec sheet has almost no information for the Xi’an scout. Can you give us some of the basics such as weapons loadout, max speed, size of the components like shield(s), generator, etc/ it is billed as a scout/explorer. What jump point size can it go through, and how is that implemented in the ship? The pictures only show the cockpit and not any interior space. What are we looking at, if anything, for the interior space?
    KT: Ok so quite a few questions about the ship and we do have some of the specs determined these are going into what we call the white box phase. It’s the very first phase of the ship implementation where we take the raw geometry of the ship and then to do things like determine where the thrusters go how that’s going to actually make the ship handle in space because of our new internal and physicalized ship components determining the size of those and where they can actually go on the ship as well.

So to answer some of the questions, the ship is going to have two size three lasers for sure. Looking into putting another set of size 2 lasers on the top of the ship to give it some extra armament it’s going to be one medium shield it’s a rather large ship when it is open and flying so we wanted to give it some additional protection from forward facing shots. It’s going to have two possible four small power plants and much like the Herald is going to have it’s going to have one small jump drive. Because it is smaller than I believe the Endeavour (possibly means Herald?) it is going to be able to utilise any sized jump point.

It won’t have any trouble using any of the jump points in the PU. Its top speed is going to be 270 metres a second this is opposed to the Hornets 200 metres a second so it’s going to be a very fast manoeuvrable ship there is no interior space plan. So much like the Hornet it’s going to be a fighter space craft. So there is no internal space that is planned for the ship itself. I hope that answers the questions.

I only fear that its layout will make it very fragile, though I can't wait to use mine in Arena Commander and find out. Gotta go fast!

Edit: What game is The Harvester from?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

woo
    I did it you guys
    I DID IT

I'm not sure I like the 4 ships I have, I really need to see the redesigend Freelancers and I have to figure out what do to with my 325a

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Would anyone object if, as a boarding tactic, I fly backwards in the Cutlass tailgate down with a cargo hold filled with heavy marines and then hit the space-brakes, hurling them at whatever unfortunate space station or asteroid my turret gunner is clearing me back to?

I guess we'll call that...riding shotgun.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Would anyone object if, as a boarding tactic, I fly backwards in the Cutlass tailgate down with a cargo hold filled with heavy marines and then hit the space-brakes, hurling them at whatever unfortunate space station or asteroid my turret gunner is clearing me back to?

I'm in!

[Edit] Also added my name to new spreadsheet under Wang Commander squadron for PBI duty. Is it weird to be excited for a game, where you're not interested in engaging in 95% of its content (i.e. Flying Cool Spaceships)?

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    missed a perfect opportunity for a its raining men pun.

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular

Until you got a ship that could mount boarding pods, that's how you deployed marines in X3.

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Your Star Citizen universe in 2D (jump lanes - Green: Large, Orage: Medium, Brownish: Small

VXGbKvM.jpg

The_Infidel on
  • Options
    Dartboy wrote: »

Until you got a ship that could mount boarding pods, that's how you deployed marines in X3.

Ah yes, the space coffins.

You had to screen them with dozens of wasp missiles to distract anti-missile fire.

• Options
    Even betterer idea, strap prone marines to the floor with the door open and use them with heavy machine guns and space-RPGs. For atmospheric assaults, load the team up in one or two Greycats as adorable technicals.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I love space sim starmaps. TO THE TRADE LANES!

• Options
    Even betterer idea, strap prone marines to the floor with the door open and use them with heavy machine guns and space-RPGs. For atmospheric assaults, load the team up in one or two Greycats as adorable technicals.

Who needs a door? Clearly an exterior size 2 weapon mount is large enough to attach to the body armor of a space marine.
    SGNB1f5.jpg

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Gathering info to add my stuff to that spreadsheet and I notice I'm going to be getting a ship shaped USB stick.

Wonder when I bought that.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think that was part of the Colonel/Explorer (actually, I can't remember what the civilian equivalent of the Colonel pack was called) Physical pack.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Perhaps the most important excerpt the new Letter from the Chairman:
    In honor of our newest Citizen (really, our thousands of new Citizens!) we would like to give something back to the entire community for all your incredible support. Starting today, we are eliminating ‘Alpha Access’ and the $5 module passes. Anyone who has pledged for a Star Citizen Package can now play today without worrying they won’t have access to some portion of the ‘Verse in the future. No Star Marine pass, no Alpha 2.0 pass… no additional payment needed for any module in the works, pre-release. Going forward, should we need to put out some sort of limited release it will be done through the PTU test server. All backers will have access to any live release, the moment it publishes.

In addition, I’d like to reward our earliest supporters who made it possible to get to this point. Everyone with an ‘alpha access’ package will be awarded 10,000 UEC; everyone who purchased an Arena Commander pass individually will be given 5,000 UEC (with the cap raising appropriately to allow this.) You also have my most sincere thanks: you were our vanguard, the battalion that fought the good fight from the beginning. Your impact on Star Citizen will never be forgotten, for without your early faith we couldn’t be where we are today. (Please note that this credit payout is going to take a big script, so it may take Turbulent a few days to work out the logistics!)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15007-Letter-From-The-Chairman

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    No, CIG, that's not how modern game development works.

You don't just... give away stuff. You slowly pare away features year upon year and then either sell them back to the players piecemeal for way too much or you just never give the features back and use them to squeeze players for money by making sure they can't get new content any other way.

Geez, no wonder this game is so doomed. They don't even treat their customers like shit! How are they ever going going to get anywhere?!
    Having more than 90 million spacebucks in crowdfunding probably helps.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Taking away the need to pay money, even small amounts, to access every feature of the game should do a lot to shut up certain individuals who remain convinced they're running out of money.

Should do, but probably won't.

It's a great decision and makes selling this game to my friends that much easier.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I think that was part of the Colonel/Explorer (actually, I can't remember what the civilian equivalent of the Colonel pack was called) Physical pack.

Definitely in the Colonel physical package, yes!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Ooo, I can afford a buggy now! Not that I need it to get anywhere...

Hmm...Anything else that UEC can be used for?

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Perhaps the most important excerpt the new Letter from the Chairman:
    In honor of our newest Citizen (really, our thousands of new Citizens!) we would like to give something back to the entire community for all your incredible support. Starting today, we are eliminating ‘Alpha Access’ and the $5 module passes. Anyone who has pledged for a Star Citizen Package can now play today without worrying they won’t have access to some portion of the ‘Verse in the future. No Star Marine pass, no Alpha 2.0 pass… no additional payment needed for any module in the works, pre-release. Going forward, should we need to put out some sort of limited release it will be done through the PTU test server. All backers will have access to any live release, the moment it publishes.

In addition, I’d like to reward our earliest supporters who made it possible to get to this point. Everyone with an ‘alpha access’ package will be awarded 10,000 UEC; everyone who purchased an Arena Commander pass individually will be given 5,000 UEC (with the cap raising appropriately to allow this.) You also have my most sincere thanks: you were our vanguard, the battalion that fought the good fight from the beginning. Your impact on Star Citizen will never be forgotten, for without your early faith we couldn’t be where we are today. (Please note that this credit payout is going to take a big script, so it may take Turbulent a few days to work out the logistics!)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15007-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Yay! I'll finally be able to get a second Sledge II. I've had a solitary one of those sitting in my hangar for the longest time.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    doomybear wrote: »

You can buy ship parts or hangar flair with them now. Though saving them is probably the best idea. You can't refund UEC purchases (yet) and CIG has plans to add more items in the future such as small arms and body armor.

I'll probably save mine for the release of the mini PU or even the final game. 15k UEC is about as much as comes with some game packages so it makes sense that it'll be a not insignificant amount in the persistent universe.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

Scroll up to see my posts about buggies in relation to the Cutlass.

You're going to want that buggy.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular

You can buy ship parts or hangar flair with them now. Though saving them is probably the best idea. You can't refund UEC purchases (yet) and CIG has plans to add more items in the future such as small arms and body armor.

I'll probably save mine for the release of the mini PU or even the final game. 15k UEC is about as much as comes with some game packages so it makes sense that it'll be a not insignificant amount in the persistent universe.

Ooo, small arms and body armor - I've been looking forward to Star Marine, so I guess I'll keep my UEC then. Even if it's only skins for body armor or weapons, I like that kind of thing. And I don't have any ships besides the space coffin - I don't think it would be right, putting weapons on an Aurora MR.

Scroll up to see my posts about buggies in relation to the Cutlass.

You're going to want that buggy.

I dunno...I require more information before I can decide. I need to see if the Star Marine stuff is good!

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

Eh, 15k UEC isn't going to be much actually. Look what Voyager Direct has stuff priced at now, 15k is only going to get you one or two components; three if you're especially frugal. I suspect to see that kind of payout for a single job would mean it's a big job and then you're paying bigger fuel and wages. Definitely not something where you'd be, "I want a new shield on my Freelancer, so I'll just go grab a job to pay for it and then go buy it after." Maybe 7 - 10 jobs would get you that, with what your actual profit is after paying for fuel, wages, and misc fees. Otherwise, the economy would get out of whack.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So in the recent videos put out by cig on youtube they show the guy who is voicing the character in Squad42. Does anyone know if you can play the campaign as a woman ala Mass Effect?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
This discussion has been closed.