As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go find the new [Star Citizen] thread

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Millions of lives destoryed. Dozens of star systems rendered inhospitable. And entire generation lost to war...

"Hey Jim, you remembered to feed the fish, right? Right? RIGHT?!?"

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Check your emails:

zj3n3Kv.jpg

Not sure if these are going out to everyone, or just people who got the "Fooled" badge from clicking on the purchase link for the Big Bennys ship variant, but either way they're giving out five dollar coupons.

If you don't have anything to spend $5 on you could just buy $5 worth of UEC.

SmokeStacks on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    New ship. MISC Prospector: When you're too poor to buy an Orion and only have 140 lying around.

MISC-Mining-Vehicle-PIECE-1-V15.jpg

• DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Looks neat. Though I'd be more interested in a solo scavenging/salvage ship rather than a solo mining ship.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Solo mining operations ship with a giant cockpit bubble? Sign me up!

Since the ore containers are supposed to be on the normal shipping standard there are some interesting opportunities for synergy between ships.

You could have a bunch of Prospectors mining on a planet, with Auroras/Mustangs ferrying filled ore containers to an Orion or Starfarer in Orbit, this way the Prospectors can concentrate on mining.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am sure that wasn't by accident.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Man i wish i had a spare couple hundred euros.
    Prospector is great as an idea, and the ship looks fabulous.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    It looks awesome. I'm more than a little tempted to melt some stuff to get one, but grabbed a few $0 CCU tokens for hornet frackers instead.

Having the means to gather resources for crafting right out of the gate is something I'd like to have, though I guess I could always crew someone's Orion if it comes to that.

EH28YFo.jpg
    The whole standardized container sizes plus actual spaces in actual ships to put them in is going to blow my mind the first time I see it in action for myself.

Taranis wrote: »
    It looks awesome. I'm more than a little tempted to melt some stuff to get one, but grabbed a few $0 CCU tokens for hornet frackers instead.

Having the means to gather resources for crafting right out of the gate is something I'd like to have, though I guess I could always crew someone's Orion if it comes to that.

Hornet frackers?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

Hornet frackers?

Hornets wouldn't be carrying the ordnance needed to frack. Gotta go with a Gladiator minimum, though preferably a Retaliator would be used for those deep penetration jobs. I might be able to contract mine out for such purposes.....for the right price.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

Hornet frackers?

The Hornet Tracker is $140, same price as the Prospector, and always on sale. So you can store free upgrades between the two ships in your account to hold onto the option to buy the Prospector outside of a sale.

EH28YFo.jpg
    edited April 2016

Hornet frackers?

The Hornet Tracker is $140, same price as the Prospector, and always on sale. So you can store free upgrades between the two ships in your account to hold onto the option to buy the Prospector outside of a sale.

Frackers...not Trackers.

EDIT - ugh...I've been working as a contractor for oil companies too long that I didn't even see that it could've been anything other than fracking. It just looked too normal to me.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    preferably a Retaliator would be used for those deep penetration jobs. I might be able to contract mine out for such purposes.....for the right price.

Wait. What are we talking about again?

ironzerg wrote: »
    preferably a Retaliator would be used for those deep penetration jobs. I might be able to contract mine out for such purposes.....for the right price.

I misread Taranis' post about Hornet Frackers (Hornets loaded out with munitions designed to frack asteroids) and figured that a Retaliator bomber would be better suited for industrial asteroid fracking.

I misread Taranis' post about Hornet Frackers (Hornets loaded out with munitions designed to frack asteroids) and figured that a Retaliator bomber would be better suited for industrial asteroid fracking.

Honestly "space fracking" doesn't sound like a bad idea. If you only had smaller mining ships than a mechanic that had you busting up larger ore filled asteroids with missiles to make things easier for the miners would be pretty cool.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Honestly "space fracking" doesn't sound like a bad idea. If you only had smaller mining ships than a mechanic that had you busting up larger ore filled asteroids with missiles to make things easier for the miners would be pretty cool.

You'd need like a space net to catch all the debris caused by the explosions though.

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I would love mining if they did something that made it dangerous for larger ships to get into asteroid fields, meaning you might have a mining command/storage ship and lots of these little ones running in and out gathering the ore. The large ship would have the advanced scanners to direct the miners to the most profitable rocks and other crew would be managing the pickup and storage of the containers dropped off.

Vechloran.png
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I would love mining if they did something that made it dangerous for larger ships to get into asteroid fields, meaning you might have a mining command/storage ship and lots of these little ones running in and out gathering the ore. The large ship would have the advanced scanners to direct the miners to the most profitable rocks and other crew would be managing the pickup and storage of the containers dropped off.
    They're called rocks.
    Hit one and it damages the ship.
    Also pirates, Orion inside a thick asteroid field has no escape.

The asteroids aren't moving much at the moment though, and I doubt we'll see a system in place that does start having them move as that would be pretty crazy and intensive on server resources. You can move the larger hull class ships into parts of the asteroid fields given some patience, gunning, and letting your shield regen. Though who knows what large scale mining will be like, maybe we'll just have capital class size miners that tractor beam in the whole rock to gnashing teeth that you just drive through the asteroid field. It really comes down to the importance of commodities in the economy, something like EVE would mean we need the large industrial ships, something where we just get the ore and exchange for $$$ at NPC shops wouldn't be as interesting.

As for pirates, who goes out mining with out fighter cover? :biggrin:

Vechloran.png
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    People who like to constantly buy new ships?

The asteroids aren't moving much at the moment though, and I doubt we'll see a system in place that does start having them move as that would be pretty crazy and intensive on server resources. You can move the larger hull class ships into parts of the asteroid fields given some patience, gunning, and letting your shield regen. Though who knows what large scale mining will be like, maybe we'll just have capital class size miners that tractor beam in the whole rock to gnashing teeth that you just drive through the asteroid field. It really comes down to the importance of commodities in the economy, something like EVE would mean we need the large industrial ships, something where we just get the ore and exchange for $$$ at NPC shops wouldn't be as interesting.

This is why I'm keeping my fleet handy for exploration purposes. I have no idea what's out there...but I hope my Hornets, Avenger, Sabre, and Retaliator can take care of it. And if not, and my ship is on fire and things are going firmly tits up...well...that's what the M50 is for.

• Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular

Uh, we already have the Orion: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/orion/Orion

And we've already seen what a large scale mining outpost looks like, whether a players will ever be able to control a whole operation like this, dunno yet.

Are they classifying the Orion though as a capital ship miner though, its 170M long, but the javelin is 345M. Orion is also just a 6 man crew, vs the 20+ it seems the capitals have. Orion to me is like a Reclaimer, perfectly good at being a solo/small group mining ship, but its likely still going to be focused on just a few asteroids at a time. Some capital class industry ship that looks at the whole asteroid field at once, directs the orions to the juiciest rocks, while providing maybe not more cargo space but a docking system for non-jump capable haulers to move stuff from Orions to Hull-C/D/E ships who are all ready and aligned to warp at a moments notice.

I never liked mining in EVE until I started doing it with small groups in 0.0 space, and then it became a great game of team work, constant attention, planning, communication, etc.

Vechloran.png
    I don't think there will be capital ship miners.
    Anything big enough to require a capital ship will just have a mining station built on it.

Or, a capital ship that converts into a mobile mining station. You fly it to the huge asteroid belt, deploy and set up shop. After you've strip mined the shit out of the place, pack up and move on to the next.

Nyysjan wrote: »
    I don't think there will be capital ship miners.
    Anything big enough to require a capital ship will just have a mining station built on it.

This. Primarily because anything that's self-mobile and large enough to be classified a capital ship WILL end up being used as a mobile battle station. We already know that anything like that is destined to be very few in number and likely have to be captured by players, making them a big target for other players.

The Orion is your industrial class ship. It processes the ores and deposits it ready to go into cargo containers. Freighters are going to come close to the Orions and swap containers using drones or tugs. Sure, if you want to operate a major operation, you'll group up a number of Orions and Prospectors. You're not going to want some giant ship or mobile platform as your CNC unit though. Why would you, when you can outfit something like a Connie or Freelancer or other smaller vessel with high grade sensor packages to more rapidly scan a sector of an asteroid field... which still may be pointless when you can just have drones fly off and do the scanning.

To use something overly large is bad business. Every crew member is a salary that has to be paid and a mouth that has to be fed. And the bigger, slower, and more expensive a ship is, the more it costs to outfit, insure, fuel, and the more auxiliary protection units it's going to need. Every crew person who's not directly mining and refining (or salvaging, or harvesting fuel, etc) is overhead, and overhead detracts from profit. You want your CNC vessel mobile so it can move where it needs to go, so it can get in and out as needed, so it can potentially be a self-defending unit and support for your weakly armed mining/production vessels.

If you want a massive operation, then that's going to be in the realm of what they've discussed with players being able to own/manage stations. At that point you're looking at a whole corp devoted to a single business, or maybe even multiple corps, which is the scale of what Foundry 42 was showing off with the spider miners.

Steel Fire wrote: »
    Primarily because anything that's self-mobile and large enough to be classified a capital ship WILL end up being used as a mobile battle station.

So we can't have big non-military ships because everyone's afraid they'll just converted into military ships?

Is it really a legitimate concern that this:

xpQYMSS.jpg

Or this:

y1KxBet.jpg

Is going to get turned into this?

4WxWbNP.jpg

Is that what we're really talking about?

Yeah, I like the idea that some crazy person could go Waterworld on a cargo ship and try to make it a pseudo-military vessel, but I also like the idea that if someone did this and actually faced a real military vessel, it would explode like a wet bag of shit at first contact.

I don't know what it is, but the thought that people would be "cheating" the system by making budget military style ships out of non-war vessels is ridiculous to the point where it infuriates me. Especially when the non-military ships are also relatively expensive when compared to other ships. Hull-Es, Reclaimers, Orions, Genesis, etc are very expensive ships to begin with. Using that logic, making the jump to non-military capital ships as a way to "budget buy" something that can be converted for practical military purposes? Pretty ridiculous in my humble opinion.

Ultimately, if Star Citizen DOESN'T have non-military capital ships, it'll be a failure of design. The entire universe isn't constantly at war, and a big selling point of the game is there's more to the universe than just dog-fighting in asteroid belts. So to say, "Hey, we're going to completely cut this out because people might use these in battle" is again, ridiculous. And even if people wanted to do that, so what? So long as military vessels are always better at the job they were designed to do, which is fight, and non-military vessels are always better for the specific role they were designed for, who really cares what someone modifies their ships to "try" and do?

I used to hope for truly huge cargo vessels and passenger ships.
    But i've resigned to the idea that Hull E is as big as it gets (and to be fair, it is fairly big).
    I guess they could handwave it away as being just too expensive to run non military capital ships to be profitable (not enough passengers, too dangerous to do jumps, etc...), and only the military (and Vanduul) are willing to pay the cost.
    Or we just don't have non military capital ships.

That big container ship is basically equivalent to a Hull-E. Even slotting as many turret pods and fighter drop pods as you can onto one, I still wouldn't call it a capital ship. Maybe it will turn out it can be powerful enough for that, which is fine, because it will be balanced by being flimsy otherwise. The number of turret pods will be severely limited by power availability and I think they said you can't recover fighters to those drop pods. So, maybe you're looking at something like a heavy destroyer or light battleship in capability, but I doubt you'd see it as a frontline fight vessel. Could it even be set up to be the head of a battlegroup, let alone staffed to manage CNC? Probably not.

And a cruise ship, really? How would one make that into a capital ship? It probably going to lack the ability to be armed (fixed weapon or hangar space) with modules of that sort.

Size alone does not make something a capital ship. A large, mobile, industrial platform is an entirely different story though. It would likely have good hangar capacity as it will need docking for cargo vessels. It's likely to come with a decent number of weapons for self-defense already. Being an industrial platform it would already be built sturdy. It also needs to be equipped and staffed to be the CNC unit and head up a fight.

A cap ship is the heart and mind of a battlegroup. If your capital ship goes down, your battlegroup is done. If your battlegroup goes down around your cap ship, you're hurting, but you're not out of the fight yet.

Look, we already know we're going to have frigates, destroyers, corvettes, and cruisers somewhat readily available, both of a specific military variety and things that will undoubtedly be converted from civilian ships. They've already been clear that anything larger, battleships and up, are going to be limited in number within the universe and non-purchasable. So, yeah, it's only logical that anything that could be converted into a serious capital ship isn't going to be something we can buy.

There's nothing stopping the game from having massive sized vessels, just don't plan on being able to convert them into psudeo-Bengals.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'd actually quite like to see a "capital" mining ship. Huuuuge storage capacity, with a few weapon mounts, works as a mothership for a mining and is fleet glacially slow.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    I'd actually quite like to see a "capital" mining ship. Huuuuge storage capacity, with a few weapon mounts, works as a mothership for a mining and is fleet glacially slow.

databank_tradefederationbattleship_01_169_fc5458ce.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1560%2C878&width=768

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Does that come with an annoying kid and an army of comically inept robots?

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I guess I'm missing something here. How are we defining capital ship? Is it purely size? Cuz yeah, I thought the Orion or the Hull E would qualify (or maybe even that Jump Starliner for luxury)

If you're thinking along the lines of a monstrous industry ship like the Nostromo or perhaps something like Star War's Errant Venture. I guess my thought would be to just give it time. It takes a massive amount of effort to build these ships. They're still working on the Bengal carrier, we've seen some pictures of the Vanduul capital ships.

I would also just put it in perspective. This is a space sim centered around fighters and dogfighting and that's always been the central focus. FPS, capital ships, utility ships, economy, resources and all the other gameplay elements are just an expansion of all that. We really have no idea how capital ship combat will take shape in SC and whether or not it will be awesome or a bust. *IF* this game is an enduring hit, then I have no doubt we'll see more and bigger ships...but until then, my thought is that don't they need to start wrapping things up as far as what's going to be in the initial release of the Persistant Universe? And what we do have so far (that we have seen) is pretty damned amazing. We've seen the deck plans for Starfarer, and that's just a tanker...It boggles my mind what the interior of the Orion or the Bengal carrier will be like, much less the Vanduul cap ships.

VoodooV wrote: »
    I guess I'm missing something here. How are we defining capital ship? Is it purely size? Cuz yeah, I thought the Orion or the Hull E would qualify (or maybe even that Jump Starliner for luxury)

If you're thinking along the lines of a monstrous industry ship like the Nostromo or perhaps something like Star War's Errant Venture. I guess my thought would be to just give it time. It takes a massive amount of effort to build these ships. They're still working on the Bengal carrier, we've seen some pictures of the Vanduul capital ships.

I would also just put it in perspective. This is a space sim centered around fighters and dogfighting and that's always been the central focus. FPS, capital ships, utility ships, economy, resources and all the other gameplay elements are just an expansion of all that. We really have no idea how capital ship combat will take shape in SC and whether or not it will be awesome or a bust. *IF* this game is an enduring hit, then I have no doubt we'll see more and bigger ships...but until then, my thought is that don't they need to start wrapping things up as far as what's going to be in the initial release of the Persistant Universe? And what we do have so far (that we have seen) is pretty damned amazing. We've seen the deck plans for Starfarer, and that's just a tanker...It boggles my mind what the interior of the Orion or the Bengal carrier will be like, much less the Vanduul cap ships.

Personally, I'm absolutely buzzing with excitement to see the internal layout of the Endeavor with all the different modules installed (the layout I'm most interested in are the hangar and med-bay modules).

I'm not certain this is at all accurate.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

I'm not certain this is at all accurate.

This is a game about the late Roman Empire...in space?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    alright guys, been another few months since my check in with Star Citizen.

When is Squadron 42 coming out? anybody know yet? :(:(

Why can't they just give me my Wing Commander sequel already? WHY! whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    EDIT: Oops. Wrong thread

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
This discussion has been closed.