As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chrono [Chat]ter!

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    lol the Nexus 9's smart cover is so weird

Screen-Shot-2014-10-17-at-2.02.19-pm.png

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Here is what I think about JRPGs:

- they are not RPGs in any real sense. You aren't making choices that impact the story and your character is almost never, in any way, a mechanism for you to impact the world or even for self-expression through aesthetics. They are called RPGs because the earliest ones mimicked D&D dungeon crawls, which were the only parts of D&D that computers of 30 years ago could do justice to.

- The combat also tends to be weirdly, bizarrely abstracted from the fiction. I've mentioned this before in chat, but it's so common in JRPGs to be - for instance - trying to escape the evil empire's cyber-police station and you're running around in a map that looks like a cyber-police station and there are imperial cyber-police going "stop, you kids!" but then the screen goes BLORP BLORP and suddenly you're in a battle against three flowerpots with panther's heads coming out of them, and a butterfly that casts APOCALYPSOR or something that looks like a meteor hitting the earth and does 9999 damage. And then the fight ends and you're back in the cyber-police station and nobody ever remarks on what happened in that battle. Was it real? Was it a drug trip? Are PantherPots and DeadFlyX39s so common as to be beneath even mentioning?

- But all this is potentially okay IF:

- the non-interactive story that I am sitting still for is entertaining and fun (I'm not going to turn up my nose at a good story just because it's only a good story, I'm not a fucking goon)

- the gameplay is interesting on its own terms and presents me with an interesting set of tactical choices or challenges.

Unfortunately, I just feel like too often, one or neither of those ends up being true. A lot of the stories either feel like earnestly-felt but badly-done nonsense ("we have to believe in the planet!") or just outright cynical manipulation of the audience's prurient interests ("Kiwi-chan, we can only get out of this if you dress up like a stripper now!"). And the trend with gameplay seems to be to mistake opacity for depth: rather than giving me an array of interesting options that I have to weigh, I feel like so many JRPGs I have played give me a series of featureless black boxes whose purpose is only apparent if I have shelled out $40 for the Prima guide.

yo jake if you are going to read my thoughts i am going to insist there are blocks of time you don't do that

i need personal time

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    personally, i like most game genres on different merits.

For instance, take Final Fantasy 13.

i really liked it.

I was not expecting something it wasn't, i was not expecting Final Fantasy 6, something with meaningful choices or a game where you micromanage battle commands. i knew about the "flaws" and didn't see them as such.

What i got was what i expected, a cool battle system that streamlined things, a fantastical world foreign from our own, characters that, while grating to some, were interesting to me.

Mass Effect, on the other hand, promised something completely different and i enjoyed it on its own merits as well.

Personally, i'd rate Mass Effect over Final Fantasy 13, sure... but not over final Fantasy 6. Maybe it's nostalgia... but i doubt it, i didn't play it much as a kid.

To me, enjoying a game hinges on expectations, which is why i try to expect as little as possible from games, i don't reallyfollow hype, previews, that sort of stuff... i don't like it because games seldom live up to expectations after the hype machine passes through.

Anyway, JRPGs... i like them for different reasons than i like WRPGs or Action Adventure games.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    My exposure to JRPGs is pretty much FF7, 8, 9, 10 and 12, Chrono-Trigger and Xenogears. Oh, and the first Phantasy Star.

Xenogears is by far my favourite of the bunch.

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    ITT: 21st century is the opposite of yahtzee.

(thank god)

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i think i would have liked mass effect a lot more without the conversation wheel 99% of the time

many times it didn't even change what you said!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    big stupid jellyfish

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was the best JRPG ever made. I beat it when I was 6 years old or so. I remember exactly nothing about it.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    My favorite part of making pixel art are getting those email notifications that someone retweeted or favorited a pixel art piece i tweeted...

Fills my belly with warm cuddlies.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i liked the wheel in drago nage but there were a few times where i picked the 'sarcastic option' and hawke would drop a dead baby joke and i was like FUCK

Greeper wrote: »

(thank god)

What, just in this thread?

The best game I remember nothing about is Mario is missing

(thank god)

What, just in this thread?

No, but it's like a circus tent:

COME SEE THE AMAZING ANTI-YAHTZEE

i liked the wheel in drago nage but there were a few times where i picked the 'sarcastic option' and hawke would drop a dead baby joke and i was like FUCK

i now feel a strong urge to make a simple game with complex conversation options that are actually almost impossible to predict and ricochet between extreme, almost antisocial behaviours

like you're trying to steer a vehicle by jabbing at the wheel with those grabby-hands from Toys R Us while sitting in the back seat

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was the best JRPG ever made. I beat it when I was 6 years old or so. I remember exactly nothing about it.

That is probably the single most condescending game ever.

it's a game that can be beaten by basically hitting a over an over... Yes, i know, it's a jRPG cliche... but... this one takes it literally.

Basically, Squeenix thought americans were too dumb for JRPGs...

Like, i like jRPGs as much as the next weeaboo, but... JRPGs are not a genre that usually requires a high level of smarts to begin with.

and the people at square were like... "What if we dumbed it down even more! Y'know, for this dubm americans."

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I wish the match finder in Magic 2015 wasn't utter shit.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    i think i would have liked mass effect a lot more without the conversation wheel 99% of the time

many times it didn't even change what you said!

Oh, it always changed what you said.

The problem is that the short text on the wheel was not always in line with what you wanted to do.

Like, there could be an option that said "enough of this"

you would think that maybe your dude would say "I've had enough of this" and walks off.

But maybe he punches someone in the face! Or just up and kills them!

The wheel was bad at informing you of your decisions, especially in ME1.

I am glad lots of the battier shit was moved to renegade/paragon actions and out of the wheel in later titles.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.

Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.

Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.

yay finally.

now give me all that sweet media player support the xbone just got

Nice. I'd love to some music options while playing Destiny. I don't want to hear boss music anymore.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

That is probably the single most condescending game ever.

it's a game that can be beaten by basically hitting a over an over... Yes, i know, it's a jRPG cliche... but... this one takes it literally.

Basically, Squeenix thought americans were too dumb for JRPGs...

Like, i like jRPGs as much as the next weeaboo, but... JRPGs are not a genre that usually requires a high level of smarts to begin with.

and the people at square were like... "What if we dumbed it down even more! Y'know, for this dubm americans."

To be fair, I never did figure out FF XIII.

But I'm Canadian.

i now feel a strong urge to make a simple game with complex conversation options that are actually almost impossible to predict and ricochet between extreme, almost antisocial behaviours

like you're trying to steer a vehicle by jabbing at the wheel with those grabby-hands from Toys R Us while sitting in the back seat

I sometimes felt like this in 'Wolf Among Us'

like I was trying desperately to steer a sentient evil car that wanted to eat babies and sheep.

It was pretty great.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

That game while not a master piece has amazing music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWzayqvpWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXkerSWsAg

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

like I was trying desperately to steer a sentient evil car that wanted to eat babies and sheep.

It was pretty great.

That game was a constant list of four terrible options, and you pick the one you hated the least.

And usually bad stuff happened anyways.

I loved that game.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

It was pretty great.

this would actually work well with a character who has a legitimate illness and lacks impulse control, if it's trying to evoke that sense of frustrating incomplete control in the player as well

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Fuck XCOM.

Five hours of play, everybody's dead, and all it took was two missions. No deaths for 2 in-game months, then those goddamn chrysalid things show up and then...

5 hours, wasted.

My B team wasn't enough with all the A listers dead.

Gahh...

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    Okay, anyway, After drawededing the Chrono Triggers, what should i draw?

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

This is called realism, Cass. Everyone from time to time is like: OH HOHO HO GONNA DROP A CUTTING REMARK! and then it comes out all wrong and now everyone thinks you want to fuck a dog.

Someone already made this game, it's called LA Noire.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I wish the match finder in Magic 2015 wasn't utter shit.

isn't the multiplayer only your sealed decks?

i will fight you

sig.gif

Cecil vs Dark Cecil in FF4 :)

(My favorite scene from that game)

i have... unpopular taste in games.

I actually like David Cage's games, for instance.

And i don't care what people think of my taste in video games.

(I care a lot about what people think of my taste in video games)

Someone already made this game, it's called LA Noire.

that game was just awful

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I kind of wish Xcom had the satchel charges of the old xcom

you could arm the thing before you engaged a chrysalid

if you survived you could toss them, if you didn't you take the son of a bitch with you

I have never actually played that game, so i fear i could not do it justice...

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Ultima VII characters.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    @Deebaser‌ I warned you

To win, you must burn every bridge

Ck2?

Lifeboat

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

This is called realism, Cass. Everyone from time to time is like: OH HOHO HO GONNA DROP A CUTTING REMARK! and then it comes out all wrong and now everyone thinks you want to fuck a dog.

basically there is a very good reason comedians have always referred to success and failure respectively as "killing" and "dying"

rRwz9.gif
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Everything is going pretty good so far in Grimrock 2

EXCEPT @ONTHELASTCASTLE KEEPS MISSING EVERYTHING

AND @SHIVAHN IS JUST DICKING AROUND BACK THERE WITH HER SLING AND POTIONS DOING JACK ALL

Thank god for @Arch and his fire magic burning everything.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    La noire is another game I didn't finish that I feel like I should take another tilt at

It seems like the kind of game that would benefit from restarting once you have more of an idea how it works

I have never actually played that game, so i fear i could not do it justice...

Oh.

Then Kefka.

i played that cecil vs dark cecil fight with my cousin in the room when we were kids

and i kept dying

and i was like FUCK IT I BET YOU'RE NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO ATTACK HIM BECAUSE OF SOME PEACE AND ACCEPTANCE SHIT

and he was like man, no, that's stupid, just... be better

and then i tried and it worked and it blew his mind

This discussion has been closed.