As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[American Dad!] - Now Available (in some counties) on Disney+'s Star

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Great episode, witch Steve looks bad ass.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    was the last episode the Craft?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    More or less.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Tell him I said, 'Gotcha!'

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    More or less.

hm... i don't remember much of the Craft...

• Options
    To think I chemically blinded Michael Chiklis for nothing.

Another film parody but it was still fun and that's much of what the best Simpsons gags ever are based on.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So in the newest American Dad Francine meets her real father, but Stan doesn't talk to him at all.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    They already had her real mom and dad, they were still rich. A bit weird since they're normally better at continuity than that, even if it's acknowledging that it doesn't mesh with continuity.

I was dying at Steve slowly taking the pasta cock into his mouth though.

• Options
    They already had her real mom and dad, they were still rich. A bit weird since they're normally better at continuity than that, even if it's acknowledging that it doesn't mesh with continuity.

I was trying to remember if the dad in this episode had the same name and appearance as before, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I was trying to remember if the dad in this episode had the same name and appearance as before, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

He's similar but I think aged up a lot.

latest?cb=20100422131202

And they killed off her mum.

It was a fun episode but kinda squandered a lot of the good will from the original episode where they determined her real parents were the Lings.

• Options
    American Dad is pretty cruel to its characters and to the audience.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    On the other hand, the Amazing Race parody from the week before was fantastic! Though I'm biased because I'm a fan of that show. It still was impressive they got Phil to guest voice, though.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    A great episode, Roger as a dummy is super creepy. I do wonder if this was meant to be a Halloween ep though.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    A great episode, Roger as a dummy is super creepy. I do wonder if this was meant to be a Halloween ep though.

Yeah it really had a halloween vibe to it but either way it was a lot of fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They've had a good few episodes as the new season has started. It's a shame that it doesn't get more coverage now it's on TBS instead of FOX. I'd like a more Francine-centric episode though, or more of them, it's been very Stan/Roger heavy. I don't know if Steve isn't getting much time due to Grimes' being on Orville, but that doesn't seem to stop McFarlane.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    They've had a good few episodes as the new season has started. It's a shame that it doesn't get more coverage now it's on TBS instead of FOX. I'd like a more Francine-centric episode though, or more of them, it's been very Stan/Roger heavy. I don't know if Steve isn't getting much time due to Grimes' being on Orville, but that doesn't seem to stop McFarlane.

Stan/Roger is the classic pairing that I feel their super-devoted fans love, but you're right in that it may be a little over-saturated. Steve pairings always work well too, sad not to see him featured in these new eps.

This season has been kind of rocky for me. I wasn't in love with the Francine-centric workout episode with Stan/Roger as the pairing actually? And the Persona ep with Stan/Roger seemed honestly lazy - they've mined the meta-joke about Roger's personas to bedrock. The Guy Fieri one was... alright? I'm sure with rewatches I'll grow to like these eps.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I didn't know the new/second half of the season started. How many new episodes have I missed?

• Options
    Three I think.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Can they just bring back Wheels and the Legman? Please?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I would like to see more episodes like Rapture's Delight where they take the cast and put them into "B" grade movie plots.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I can't believe I made the OP way back in 2014, nor can I believe this show is still going strong. It is, though!

Watching "Mean Francine" now. I love that the B-plot has no actual jokes and is just Hayley and Jeff's marriage falling apart because he can't find his hat.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    OMFG I just watched "Persona Assistant" and it may now be my favorite episode.
    I fucking died when Roger's tumor/baby slit Stan's throat as Roger yelled "HOLY SHIT!"

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm watching the episode where Roger sells jeans/Stan and Steve swap eyebrows.

The fact that the jeans plot ends up getting weirder than the eyebrows subplot is amazing.

Edit: Watching the newest episode. Rogu's back, surprisingly.

Edit 2:
    Oh what the fuck, they brought back evil Barry?!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    They've really gone all in on Tuttle without Greg and Terry.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Maybe we all live in the Nighthawks universe... Anyone else like smooth jazz? :lol:

• Options
    edited May 2019

l think this last episode is the most prominently he's ever been featured, right?
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Maybe we all live in the Nighthawks universe... Anyone else like smooth jazz? :lol:

"Here's a rowdy little number called 'Volcano Explosion Freak Out'."
    *plays smooth jazz*

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited May 2019

l think this last episode is the most prominently he's ever been featured, right?

He's been in like the last...3 or 4 in a row? Not this prominently no, but he was in like ...2 or 3 episodes of the whole series prior to TBS? There was one where he had a wife, the one where he was super fat and I'm sure he will have been in the background of the neighbourhood a couple of times, but it's been ep after ep this season.

It's not a bad thing, just something I noticed. At the same time it seems like ages since we saw the FBI side of the show. I might just be misremembering, I don't rewatch episodes like I used to.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options

He's been in like the last...3 or 4 in a row? Not this prominently no, but he was in like ...2 or 3 episodes of the whole series prior to TBS? There was one where he had a wife, the one where he was super fat and I'm sure he will have been in the background of the neighbourhood a couple of times, but it's been ep after ep this season.

It's not a bad thing, just something I noticed. At the same time it seems like ages since we saw the FBI side of the show. I might just be misremembering, I don't rewatch episodes like I used to.

I was just wondering the other day how many episodes of the series at this point have involved Stan's status as a CIA agent. It's really fallen by the wayside, I feel.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The Nighthawks episode was superb.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I saw a clip of this show just randomly, about the Alien scamming the wife into getting a wig for himself, and couldn't believe how funny the out of context clips were. I've laughed at Family Guy before but the swing to miss ratio is WAY imbalanced when dealing with anyone but Brian or Stewie. This small clip was way out of FG's league. Like by a country mile. Started streaming it on Hulu and it's pretty great.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    ED! wrote: »
    I saw a clip of this show just randomly, about the Alien scamming the wife into getting a wig for himself, and couldn't believe how funny the out of context clips were. I've laughed at Family Guy before but the swing to miss ratio is WAY imbalanced when dealing with anyone but Brian or Stewie. This small clip was way out of FG's league. Like by a country mile. Started streaming it on Hulu and it's pretty great.

Yayyyyy! Glad you like it.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm binging the show after, well, forgetting it existed. I'm up to "Top of the Steve." Shakespeare, you had a good run, but there's a new big dog!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Seth admits to poaching writers in an AD commentary.

Not that it worked

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    They're both "comedies" but they're tonally different. Family Guy has repeatedly established that it is just a show and that on screen or of it the characters hate each other and they're all bitter and cruel and mean and the jokes are likewise. And it's deliberate.

American Dad characters are more like "real" people, they can be mean but it's rarely out of spite and malice unless its Roger and Roger is so ridiculously over the top that you don't take it seriously even when he is skinning someone, because if he is doing that it's probably because he himself has had his feelings hurt or he's in love or something. It's cast are also all rounded and capable of carrying a show alone (Hayley is the weakest link by far), whereas Family Guy always boils down to Peter/Stewie/Brian, the rest can carry a story but not an episode and they have nothing going on.

Someone did a joke once about naming any of Marge's friends (I think it was Family Guy actually) and you can't name a friend of Chris, Meg or Lois.

Steve has friends who are characters, Hayley has...Jeff, Roger has everyone, Stan has his neighbours and the CIA. Francine generally plays off against Roger/Steve/Stan but these pairings work brilliantly because there is a genuine attempt to show a relationship there. She loves Stan even if she is mad, she loves Steve even if he is a geek, she loves Roger like a pet and because she is a chronic enabler.

Peter and Lois nowadays are shown to be constantly on the cusp of the end of their marriage and hate all their kids.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    American Dad and Cleveland show (which I still say was the most consistently funny of the three - its high points aren't the best, but it didn't have any of those cringey episodes I just don't want to watch) don't rely on the LOL SO RANDOM jokes out of nowhere. American Dad actually grows its jokes organically out of the situation, they don't hit pause on the story so Peter can fight a chicken for four minutes.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Favorite moment from "The Legend of Old Ulysses."
    0ld5x4yda199.png

Francine: "OUR STAR TANNING HAS GIVEN US AWESOME POWER. IT IS TIME FOR THE GODS TO LEAVE THIS REALM."

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I think my problem with FG (and why it's so far not a problem with AD) is that, other than the event episodes, I can't sit through an episode of FG - it just feels pointless with episodes that sometimes jackknife in narrative halfway through the episode (and not in a good way). And the event episodes I don't know about until like three years later, so there's no reason to keep up with the show (credit where credit is due, but I just saw the Quagmire's Sister episode like a year ago and that was an amazing half hour of "comedy").

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Yay the CIA is back!

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Yay the CIA is back!

Stan: "I still work there. Part time."

I wonder how many Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory parodies there have been? All those other ones didn't have Snoop Dogg, though.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    I love that Roger had to put on a Julia Childs accent to use the monster voice phone.