As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Circumventing a Key Transponder System

kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated foraRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello,
I have a new model year car. Just lost one of my two keys. Confronting the realities of the ridiculous fees dealers are now able to leverage for programming keys. I'll have to eat it this time. But, going forward, can't I just disassemble one of the keys I that I have made, insert the transponder in the steering column, and get normal, $10 keys made and drive around with those?

fwKS7.png?1
kaliyama on

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

Thanks - I did too. I found that a little unsatisfactory because I don't want to glue anything to my steering column. Hence, I was trying to figure out if I could do something less obtrusive.

fwKS7.png?1
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'm not sure it will work for you, but last week we were at Lowes getting some extra copies of our house keys made, and there was a sign saying they could copy programmable keys.

Might be worth checking out, it'll almost certainly be cheaper than going to the dealer if they can do it.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I'm not sure it will work for you, but last week we were at Lowes getting some extra copies of our house keys made, and there was a sign saying they could copy programmable keys.

Might be worth checking out, it'll almost certainly be cheaper than going to the dealer if they can do it.

Interesting... I'm going to need to check this out too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

Thanks - I did too. I found that a little unsatisfactory because I don't want to glue anything to my steering column. Hence, I was trying to figure out if I could do something less obtrusive.
    Do you know what the range on the transponder is? Maybe there's somewhere else in the car a little less noticeable you could put it? Maybe if your doors have some organizer bins or something or in the ash tray?

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Do you know what the range on the transponder is? Maybe there's somewhere else in the car a little less noticeable you could put it? Maybe if your doors have some organizer bins or something or in the ash tray?

Most steering columns come apart fairly easy with just a few screws, then you glue the transponder to the inside.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

home depot should be able to do it too. i think i saw a sign there as well

camo_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You can also just buy transponders online from Ebay or wherever, and have them programmed. I know Volkswagen charge like wounded bulls for the keyfob/transponder part, but the actual reprogramming is only like $50.

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

thanks everyone foe the thoughtful responses. I don't want to experiment with transponder range and thereby trigger antitheft technology, so will go with the steering column approach and see where that gets me. Will post an update when I do it.

fwKS7.png?1
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Messing with the transponder will tank the Bluebook value of your car pretty much instantly and make you look immediately suspicious in any pull over.

In my area Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware all can copy these keys for about $30-$50 depending upon the technology used. I'd much rather that than loose 2-5k in equity and give an inquisitive police officer any reason to drag me out of my car in the current environment.

Enc on
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Also just a thought, but if you live in a higher crime rate area, yanking your transponder might affect your car insurance. You might be getting a break for an antitheft device and not know it, but if you get your car stolen and it's recovered with a mod like that it could complicate your insurance claim. Sounds kind of dumb, I know, but I work with insurance companies and can tell you: they look at that stuff.

Not saying you shouldn't do it if you want, but you might call your agent to let them know what you're thinking of doing and eat the rate adjustment (if there is one) in the event you have to claim something down the road.

• Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    As for programming the key if you get one cut at lowes or wherever, check your cars manual and see if it had instructions to do it yourself. My 2005 Ford free star van has a whole section in programming spare keys by doing and ignition on off sequence and a few other steps.