As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] This thread got turned into a pink bunny, find the new one.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Dude, you need to enjoy the hell out of that special edition because I'm sure the US isn't getting it, as usual.

I would almost say get it and I'll pay you for it and we'll swap game cases so I get the steelbook and all. But overseas shipping and bleh...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man, this is probably off topic but ugh. Minish Cap, now I remember why you aren't a top tier Zelda for me. Random Kinstone fusions. Oh and the figurines. I'm probably missing about 50 but UGH. This is SO tedious.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The thing to remember with the figurines in Minish Cap is that IIRC, each seashell is worth a 1% chance of a new figurine! other than the first one which is worth an ever decreasing amount from 100%. i.e. Slow though it may be, never put in more than one shell or you are wasting their value. My first play through I kept boosting my win % and ran out of shells. Second play through I got them all without much fuss.

I never had much issue with the random fusions. You got them when you got them. No big deal other than that annoying missable one with the old man.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Aonuma on Miiverse:
    Greetings to everyone in The Legend of Zelda community! Eiji Aonuma from Nintendo here.

Since The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was announced during the most recent Nintendo Direct, I’ve noticed that many of you have posted your thoughts in this community. Now, I'd like to say a few words for myself about Majora’s Mask 3D, which is planned for release next spring.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was actually in development almost immediately after we finished working on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, which was released in June of 2011. So although we’ve been working on the game for quite some time, we didn't want to say it was being developed until we were at a point where we could proudly say that this is not going to be just another remake and that it's going to be worth your time. For a while now, when fans from Japan and around the world would ask me if we were working on a Majora's Mask remake, I would silently plead in my heart, thinking, “Please wait a bit longer!” (laughs).

We’ve spent a lot of time making sure the gameplay experience is smoother than in the original version without taking away from this unique world. I hope those that haven’t played the original game, and those of you that played it but gave up mid-way through will take this opportunity to give the new version a try.

Oh, and I should mention that we haven’t removed the distinct look and feel that are unique to this game, so it should live up to this game's Japanese catchphrase, “this Zelda has a scary vibe.” Brace yourselves for what this world has to offer! (laughs)

When it's closer to its release date, I’ll talk more about what has been changed in the Nintendo 3DS version and its new features right here in this comunity, so stay tuned!

C85rzkT.jpg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hmmm, so if they're changing the game (seriously, four years for a remake?) I wonder if the focus on the mask of truth on the cover means it has a greater purpose here

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Four years for a remake based on an existing engine that re-uses assets from a game they just finished.

Maybe the team was just really, really, really small.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    One of my old classmates decided to see how Majora's Mask would look if it followed the pitch black shading of the promo art. Amazing work, most of which is animated so I can't post here. Animated links (no pun intended) below:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/7126f122c8c6e9bd0d6db31425460b0f/tumblr_neqys35Sc01rqz5qko2_r1_500.gif
    http://33.media.tumblr.com/c42f65c251009b38221417c1102bd642/tumblr_neqys35Sc01rqz5qko3_r1_500.gif
    http://33.media.tumblr.com/0beee03b1373f9fa77a34534a5fc021c/tumblr_neqys35Sc01rqz5qko4_r1_500.gif

tumblr_neqys35Sc01rqz5qko1_r1_1280.jpg

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I love love love the black shading of the promo artwork for Majora's Mask, and I would love to see a game that looks like it (Viewtiful Joe comes close), but I do have to wonder if it would start to obscure certain things and start to cause some problems. What flies dimensionally in a 2D Brawler may not fly in a 3D Adventure game.

...though I'd love to see them try.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    In addition to Sheik and Zelda, the Toon Link amiibo will also have a specific function in Hyrule Warriors, probably giving Link a weapon instead of a random weapon, material or rupee like the other amiibo.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Probably giving Link a 'toon link' skin.

Viskod wrote: »

I doubt that. A Toon Link with those proportions would look really, really weird.

Official concept art of Adult Toon Link from the Zelda artbook:

3La137K.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Maz- wrote: »

I doubt that. A Toon Link with those proportions would look really, really weird.

Why are you assuming they'd use the same proportions?

edited November 2014

If they made him look exactly like Toon Link, proportions and all, they'd have to rework basically all of his animations with all of his weapons, and given how many weapons he has, I just don't see that happening. Not to mention all the cutscenes.

Maz- on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

3La137K.jpg

holy shit.

"eexcccuuuuussseee me, princess!"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List

If they made him look exactly like Toon Link, proportions and all, they'd have to rework basically all of his animations with all of his weapons, and given how many weapons he has, I just don't see that happening. Not to mention all the cutscenes.

So?

So?

What I mean is, it's an exceptional amount of work that I don't see them putting in for something only a small part of the playerbase will experience.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Late to the party since I was out of town all last week (go go watching the direct on my phone!).

Totally called the spinner, but I really wanted it for Midna. Link has too many damn weapons already. I saw someone comment that it looked like Link got more use out of it in the trailer than the entirety of Twilight Princess (seriously, the dumbest waste of an item slot in that game... It was a top-shaped key essentially)

As for Majora's Mask, guarantee one of the changes is "save anywhere". I think the original save limitations only existed because they were severely pushing the N64 hardware and couldn't handle all the things the game would need to keep track of if they allowed that. I am thinking they may also improve the Bomber Notebook so it's a little more user friendly (since it's also so essential to the game). Also have a hunch they will do something about losing all your items when you time travel. Maybe letting you store bombs, arrows, etc at the bank?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I hope MM has the exact same 3D effect as OoT though. It was really deep and awesome and you can always tweak the slider to make it less deep if you need to.

Loved when he held items over his head and they spun around in front of the 3DS screen, like you could touch them.

I hope they fix the ghosting, the 3D effect in Ocarina only worked about ten percent of the time if I'm being generous.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

3La137K.jpg

The one on the top right looks okay. The other... explain why we never got adult Toon link.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Aonuma on Miiverse:
    Greetings to everyone in The Legend of Zelda community! Eiji Aonuma from Nintendo here.

Since The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was announced during the most recent Nintendo Direct, I’ve noticed that many of you have posted your thoughts in this community. Now, I'd like to say a few words for myself about Majora’s Mask 3D, which is planned for release next spring.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D was actually in development almost immediately after we finished working on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, which was released in June of 2011. So although we’ve been working on the game for quite some time, we didn't want to say it was being developed until we were at a point where we could proudly say that this is not going to be just another remake and that it's going to be worth your time. For a while now, when fans from Japan and around the world would ask me if we were working on a Majora's Mask remake, I would silently plead in my heart, thinking, “Please wait a bit longer!” (laughs).

We’ve spent a lot of time making sure the gameplay experience is smoother than in the original version without taking away from this unique world. I hope those that haven’t played the original game, and those of you that played it but gave up mid-way through will take this opportunity to give the new version a try.

Oh, and I should mention that we haven’t removed the distinct look and feel that are unique to this game, so it should live up to this game's Japanese catchphrase, “this Zelda has a scary vibe.” Brace yourselves for what this world has to offer! (laughs)

When it's closer to its release date, I’ll talk more about what has been changed in the Nintendo 3DS version and its new features right here in this comunity, so stay tuned!

C85rzkT.jpg

Hype levels reaching critical mass.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I saw someone comment that it looked like Link got more use out of it in the trailer than the entirety of Twilight Princess (seriously, the dumbest waste of an item slot in that game... It was a top-shaped key essentially)

And one epic boss fight.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

3La137K.jpg

The one on the top right looks okay. The other... explain why we never got adult Toon link.

Based on the adult Link statue that appears in Wind Waker, here's your adult Toon Link. I quite like it, personally.

dbwhlwpinf4a.jpg

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I saw someone comment that it looked like Link got more use out of it in the trailer than the entirety of Twilight Princess (seriously, the dumbest waste of an item slot in that game... It was a top-shaped key essentially)

And one epic boss fight.

The biggest waste has got to be the command rod. I sure do like an item that actually stops functioning when you leave its dungeon, and is never again used fir anything as fun as its uses in said dungeon (trading Hamner statues for waddling owl statues is... Less than perfect.)

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    It had a badass name too, dominion rod.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Based on the adult Link statue that appears in Wind Waker, here's your adult Toon Link. I quite like it, personally.

His arm extends down to the top of his boot. And people think Bayonetta's elongated.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited November 2014
    All the items in that game were criminally underused, other than maybe the claw shot, which had the privilege of wasting two virtual item slots since you get the same item twice (not that double clawshots wasn't pretty cool).

Hell, Ball & Chain was wasted. Look at what Hyrule Warriors was able to turn that into.

Anyways, I'll be real curious to see if the other Zelda amiibos do anything cool in Hyrule Warriors. One easy thing they could do would be to have Toon Link unlock the Wind Waker as a weapon for Link (since it seems like all the characters share animation rigs anyways). The "better" option would be for it to unlock Toon Link as a character :D (and this could even technically be handled as a weapon, like Epona or Great Fairy replacing his model).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Twilight Princess's biggest sin was being drab and boring. It's a serious issue when playing a game feels like a chore.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Twilight Princess's biggest sin was being drab and boring. It's a serious issue when playing a game feels like a chore.

I wouldn't say boring so much as slow.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It had a badass name too, dominion rod.

Sorry.

edited November 2014
    I started playing it again not long ago to get in the mood for Hyrule Warriors (and of course dropped it the second that came out). I'd say the game is genuinely unfun until maybe after the second dungeon. There are HUGE breaks between dungeons where not a whole lot happens, and the first two dungeons are kind of bad (2nd dungeon = hope you like walking at a snails pace on the ceiling for 90% of the dungeon with loud CLANK CLANK boot noises annoying you the entire time).

Edit: By the way, for the love of God, can we please retire the Iron Boots for good? No one likes them. Zelda is full of magic - if you really need boots that let you walk underwater or on ceilings or not slip on ice, call them magic and make them move at the same speed as normal walking...

Warlock82 on
    Edit: By the way, for the love of God, can we please retire the Iron Boots for good? No one likes them. Zelda is full of magic - if you really need boots that let you walk underwater or on ceilings or not slip on ice, call them magic and make them move at the same speed as normal walking...

The iron boots were awesome for the magnetic sections.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Vyolynce wrote: »

His arm extends down to the top of his boot. And people think Bayonetta's elongated.

I bet they did that on purpose because you typically see him from a low angle.

skeldare wrote: »

That was the worst part! It's a cool idea, but you walk soooooooooo slooooooooowwwww... Plus you can't even roll which is annoying.

It was fine for the couple parts where you just had cranes moving you around since you didn't need to walk anywhere tho.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    H
    skeldare wrote: »

That was the worst part! It's a cool idea, but you walk soooooooooo slooooooooowwwww... Plus you can't even roll which is annoying.

It was fine for the couple parts where you just had cranes moving you around since you didn't need to walk anywhere tho.

Well of course you cant roll you'd fall.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I purposely did that iron boots equip glitch to run full speed on the magnetic sections. I think you just had to simply unequip them as you get pulled in, but before you actually stick to the walls/ceiling.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    If they make a Twilight Princess HD they gotta have the swift boots.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, what was the dungeon count for Twilight Princess? I was really surprised by Wind Waker's structure when I replayed it, and part of that was that it only has four dungeons in total. This was jarring when a game like Ocarina of Time has like, 10. Wondering if Twilight Princess has a similarly low dungeon count

Never really played Skyward Sword either (though Hyrule Warriors has compelled me to readd it to my backlog), so I'll ask the same question about that.

Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what was the dungeon count for Twilight Princess? I was really surprised by Wind Waker's structure when I replayed it, and part of that was that it only has four dungeons in total. This was jarring when a game like Ocarina of Time has like, 10. Wondering if Twilight Princess has a similarly low dungeon count

Never really played Skyward Sword either (though Hyrule Warriors has compelled me to readd it to my backlog), so I'll ask the same question about that.

Wind Waker has 6-7 dungeons, depending on your count.
    Twilight Princess has 9, Skyward Sword 7.

There were 9 dungeons in Twilight Princess:

Forest Temple
    Goron Mines
    Lakebed Temple
    Arbiter's Grounds
    Snowpeak Ruins
    Temple of Time
    City in the Sky
    Palace of Twilight
    Hyrule Castle

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA