As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] This thread got turned into a pink bunny, find the new one.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Whelp, I just ordered this...
    02df2bb6aa3aafa3691aede452ab6d8d.jpg

I think I lack willpower when it comes to cool looking figures like that :D It's weird though, the Deluxe one wasn't available from most places so I had to try this new place called Anime Island. They were offering it for $5 cheaper and free shipping, and cursory research said they seemed an ok place (worst complaint was sometimes they get their figures in later than other places, but whatever).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Capt HowdyKoopahTroopahLBD_Nytetrayn
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Castlevania 2, much like a lot of NES games with 2 in them, was terrible, but were highly important as they laid the groundwork for much better games.

Mega Man 2

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Castlevania 2 is the only non-Igarashi Castlevania I like

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm partial to Super 4 and Rondo.

Though, the version of Rondo I like is in Dracula X Chronicles, so I suppose it'd be disingenuous to not call it an Iga game, at least partially.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    Castlevania 2, much like a lot of NES games with 2 in them, was terrible, but were highly important as they laid the groundwork for much better games.

Mega Man 2

"A lot" being the operative term here. SMB 2 was also pretty sweet.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Double Dragon 2 and Super C were cool too.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Hi Castlevania thread!

I have a confession to make.

I have never played Symphony of the Night. In fact, I never played any of the mainline traditional (side-scroller) Castlevanias after Simon's Quest and that one on the Game Boy. I didn't own a PS1, and I only went back to play a very small number of games that were on that system (the four Final Fantasies, Lunar II, and Chrono Cross).

My... my favorite Castlevania game is Castlevania 64.

If I wanted to play Symphony of the Night today, what's the definitive version? And will it hold up for someone who has absolutely zero nostalgia for the title? I love Metroidvanias, but I've really only experienced the Metroid side of them.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    SoTN is in my top 5 games ever. It is imho the definitive side scroller and the definitive Castlevania.

Also, it gave the world 'What is a man?'

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Hi Castlevania thread!

I have a confession to make.

I have never played Symphony of the Night. In fact, I never played any of the mainline traditional (side-scroller) Castlevanias after Simon's Quest and that one on the Game Boy. I didn't own a PS1, and I only went back to play a very small number of games that were on that system (the four Final Fantasies, Lunar II, and Chrono Cross).

My... my favorite Castlevania game is Castlevania 64.

If I wanted to play Symphony of the Night today, what's the definitive version? And will it hold up for someone who has absolutely zero nostalgia for the title? I love Metroidvanias, but I've really only experienced the Metroid side of them.

I believe it's available on the 360 and PSN (Not sure if they ported the 360 version to XB1 yet). And you should DEFINITELY try it. It's fantastic. Best music in any game.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Castlevania 2 is great! I mean, other than the parts that are terrible...

Which was the whole game.

Gameplay is as solid is ever, if you just like going around whipping things. And I didn't mind the addition of shopping, started to lean in that action-RPG direction instead of pure action. Precursor to the best CVs in later years.

Terrible stuff is the worst hinting/signposting of what to do next in just about any game ever, and no bosses that are worth a damn, including the laughably easy final boss.

Actually...until just now I didn't know what a legit fight with him looked like. Everyone just freezes him on the pedestal immediately. Just searched around and lo and behold, the first time I've seen what his actual boss behavior looks like.

Yeah, basically the lack of bosses (and the fact you can literally walk past 2 of the 3 in the game :P) and the shitty shitty cryptic bullshit the game wants you to do are the bad parts. The actual gameplay is pretty solid otherwise and the RPG elements are cool as long as you have a guide to explain the cryptic shit.

Like I said, I wish they would have remade it. The game was basically a Metroidvania game before Symphony would kind of pioneer that style for the series.

I thought that even though you can walk past the two bosses, you had to kill them for their items? I thought the cross was essential to beating it?

Anyway, I never had a hard time finding my way through. Level design seems fine to me, but I mostly like the road tour of the Transylvania countryside after being stuck in the castle for all of the preceding game.

In some ways, it feels like it paved the way for SotN and beyond. Loved the callbacks in Rondo, too.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    This ain't the Castlevania thread, but there are four main versions of the game. The PS1 classics version, the XBLA version and the version that released in Dracula X Chronicles(PSP). The Saturn version also exists but is JP only because fuck the west, so don't bother with it.

There's some level of variation between all of them because they were retranslated between releases, but it doesn't matter wildly which one you go with. Since the game is sprite-based rather than polygon-based, it aged quite well and absolutely held up fine. Since it's basically the father of Metroidvanias and lays the groundwork for most of that genre's design, you'll like it if you like that genre at all.

LBD_Nytetrayn
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    SoTN is in my top 5 games ever. It is imho the definitive side scroller and the definitive Castlevania.

It popularized 'What is a man?'. They just lifted the line from a French writer, André Malraux.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I also wouldn't look at something that turned into a meme on the level that that did as the greatest of contributions.

NNID: Rehab0

Gameplay is as solid is ever, if you just like going around whipping things. And I didn't mind the addition of shopping, started to lean in that action-RPG direction instead of pure action. Precursor to the best CVs in later years.

Terrible stuff is the worst hinting/signposting of what to do next in just about any game ever, and no bosses that are worth a damn, including the laughably easy final boss.

Actually...until just now I didn't know what a legit fight with him looked like. Everyone just freezes him on the pedestal immediately. Just searched around and lo and behold, the first time I've seen what his actual boss behavior looks like.

Yeah, basically the lack of bosses (and the fact you can literally walk past 2 of the 3 in the game :P) and the shitty shitty cryptic bullshit the game wants you to do are the bad parts. The actual gameplay is pretty solid otherwise and the RPG elements are cool as long as you have a guide to explain the cryptic shit.

Like I said, I wish they would have remade it. The game was basically a Metroidvania game before Symphony would kind of pioneer that style for the series.

I thought that even though you can walk past the two bosses, you had to kill them for their items? I thought the cross was essential to beating it?

Anyway, I never had a hard time finding my way through. Level design seems fine to me, but I mostly like the road tour of the Transylvania countryside after being stuck in the castle for all of the preceding game.

In some ways, it feels like it paved the way for SotN and beyond. Loved the callbacks in Rondo, too.

Yes and no. You're right, they drop items. But they are not required to beat the game, or even the greatest items. Death drops the Golden Knife, so... the best version of the worst CV sub weapon :P Camilla doesn't seem to drop anything from what I can tell on the wiki. The items you need to beat the game are in the orbs in the room after the bosses and you can collect them without beating the bosses :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

It popularized 'What is a man?'. They just lifted the line from a French writer, André Malraux.

well damn!

I never knew that!

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    I also wouldn't look at something that turned into a meme on the level that that did as the greatest of contributions.

What is a meme?!

What is a meme?!

A miserable pile of lolcats

TurkeyXaquindarunia106MrMiscreant
    TamerBill wrote: »

well damn!

I never knew that!

Numerous things we now know to be video game references are actually the quotes of great men throughout history, which have since been liberally borrowed are repurposed.

Who could forget, for instance, the English philosopher Maximus Retardus who would become famous for saying "HEY, listen! The cake is a lie. Huuuurrrrr. Its full of stars. Duuuuuurrrrrr Ouch, I just took an arrow to the knee! Duuuurrrrrp de duuuurrrrrrp!"

Donnicton
    Looks like Twilight Princess HD is getting a pretty good preorder push from the eShop.

And I just realized we're only 2 weeks away from release now too. Yaaay!

Xerink
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    If you go for the Dracula X Chronicles version, know that, in that version, SOTN is an unlockable thing, and you first have to collect a special item in Rondo of Blood (a Classicvania title that SOTN is the sequel to) to be able to play it.

It features a redone translation ("Hah! 'Mankind'. A cesspit of hatred and lies! Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!"), and is one of two versions to feature Maria Renard as a playable character. Unlike the Sega Saturn version, DXC Maria plays largely like an updated version of herself in Rondo of Blood.

Enlong on
    Fleur de Alys

Yes and no. You're right, they drop items. But they are not required to beat the game, or even the greatest items. Death drops the Golden Knife, so... the best version of the worst CV sub weapon :P Camilla doesn't seem to drop anything from what I can tell on the wiki. The items you need to beat the game are in the orbs in the room after the bosses and you can collect them without beating the bosses :P

Huh, I was sure Camilla dropped the cross that's supposed to seal away Dracula "for good."
    Looks like Twilight Princess HD is getting a pretty good preorder push from the eShop.

Is there ANY sort of pre-order bonus for this? I'm trying to find out before I do, but haven't turned anything up.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    From the World of Nintendo NY re-opening:
    http://nintendoinquirer.com/blog/2016/02/19/hi-res-photo-gallery-nintendo-new-york-store-opening/
    resize?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnintendoinquirer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F02%2FNI-NintendoNY-FigureDisplay2-1024x716.png&sizes=647x*!0.01

That is friggin' gorgeous... is that a statue that can be purchased somewhere?

LBD_NytetraynJimothy
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    http://nintendoinquirer.com/blog/2016/02/19/hi-res-photo-gallery-nintendo-new-york-store-opening/
    resize?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnintendoinquirer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F02%2FNI-NintendoNY-FigureDisplay2-1024x716.png&sizes=647x*!0.01

For $500 from Thinkgeek

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    AbsoluteZero
    Ahh, that is quite a bit out of my price range, though not unexpected :P

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Huh, I was sure Camilla dropped the cross that's supposed to seal away Dracula "for good."

Is there ANY sort of pre-order bonus for this? I'm trying to find out before I do, but haven't turned anything up.

You get the soundtrack if you pre-order from Gamestop.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    LBD_Nytetrayn
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Capt Howdy
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

But not from EB, I guess.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

But not from EB, I guess.

I just know it's the preorder bonus for Gamestop. Sadly.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    s72cu4asr2xi.jpg

Info on the soundtrack:
    By pre-ordering The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD at GameStop, you may receive an exclusive exclusive Sound Selection CD with purchase. For more info on how to receive this bonus item, please visit GameStop: http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/games/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-hd-with-amiibo/126800#bonusFeatures

“The core concepts for Twilight Princess' score are melancholy, pathos, a sensation of speed, and how through it all you can feel a ray of hope. We were really happy to remaster the soundtrack so that everyone can appreciate all the distinctive qualities of each track.”
    - Sound Team

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

For $500 from Thinkgeek

It's $40 cheaper if you buy it from the source...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Geez, for that amount of money you could buy a Wii U and a 3DS.

Plus maybe a game or two.

KoopahTroopahWarlock82
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Those are some snazzy figures though.

Shadowfire
    They are, but for that amount I want a cosplayer to stand on a pedestal perfectly still (in eight hour shifts, to be more reasonable) and pose however I want him or her to. It would be a Mon-Fri gig.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Guys, I very recently started playing Wind Waker HD for the first time ever. I have never played WW. And after putting probably 4 hours into it so far, I have a few things to say --

1) This game is utterly gorgeous. If I did not previously know that this was a Gamecube game, I would just assume it is a modern game. It is soooooo pretty.
    2) This game is just raw, unbridled fun. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. Shame on me for taking this long to play Windwaker. (Especially since I friggin own WW GC).
    3) The Zelda-Hype is real, people. Between the gloriousness that is playing Windwaker for the first time, and the anticipation of Twilight Princess HD, I am in Zelda heaven right now.

Oh, and Symphony of the Goddess is coming to Kansas City in March and I have tickets!!!!!

RoyallyFlushedCapt HowdyLBD_NytetraynMNC DoverKoopahTroopahTDawgVyolyncePolaritieShadowfireAbsoluteZeroDelphinidaesjkylefultonMolybdenumDark Raven XMcFodderMrMiscreant
    Just wait until you get bombs and can also access
    (very minor spoiler)
    the Shark Island arena.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Those are some snazzy figures though.

This is the one that brought me to the site in the first place:
    dvnq8s6r0v89.jpg

So ah.. yeah, snazzy as fuck.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    KoopahTroopahCapt HowdyPolaritieMNC DoverMcFodderBarrakkethXaquin
    That site is interesting. There are a bunch of rad statues, and a bunch that are super off-model. They have some other cool Zelda ones on there though. Still, too expensive :P

Shadowfire
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Well, the good news is that nearly all of their Zelda lines are sold out, so you have to go aftermarket anyhow.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Well, I have preordered The Legend of Zelda: Grimdark Okami or whatever

My distaste for Gamestop overpowered my desire to have an official soundtrack. I'm consoling myself with the knowledge that the Twilight Princess soundtrack isn't nearly as popular as WW or the N64 ones.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Capt HowdyIvan HungerDratatoo
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Soundtracks are always at rock bottom of my special edition/preorder bonus priority because I can always listen on youtube, often with more variations or longer loops etc.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky