As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] This thread got turned into a pink bunny, find the new one.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I say make a new character because why does Link need to be changed? What is this tremendous need to make him female?

Because I enjoy Zelda games, but don't necessarily enjoy having to control a male

Why the tremendous need to keep him only male?

Why the tremendous need to change this specific game when there are more games by the day that have female heroes that you can play if you want your estrogen fix?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Link isn't one character though. There've been, what, 11 of them, or so?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I say make a new character because why does Link need to be changed? What is this tremendous need to make him female?

Because I enjoy Zelda games, but don't necessarily enjoy having to control a male

So make a Zelda game where you control Zelda. Why the tremendous need to change the gender of an existing character?

The "why" of the push for the option for a choice of gender for the protagonist of these games has been made clear: inclusivity, allowing female players to engage with the story in a way that only male players have been allowed to up to this point, and because Zelda fulfilling the same role as Link where you can rename her is just a female Link anyway. These points have been made particularly saliently in the past 24 hours in this thread by SilverWind, I think, who outlines why engagement can be enhanced by the ability to reflect yourself in the character and how this is something like the only weakness the series has for her.

You have not yet outlined why you're against the idea of having a gender option for the protagonist. Cultural inertia is not an argument, it's just a statement, and it's not a convincing reason to not have more options.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

So make a Zelda game where you control Zelda. Why the tremendous need to change the gender of an existing character?

Because sometimes art can imitate life

Why the tremendous need to change this specific game when there are more games by the day that have female heroes that you can play if you want your estrogen fix?

Because it's nice to believe that establishments can change

• Options

We want this for Zelda because we love Zelda in particular. Why not look for it here? Why be satisfied? Why not ask?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    You can be just as inclusive without gender-swapping an established character. That's such a dumb argument.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

And those establishments are changing with each new game that gets created with a female hero.

Doesn't mean we have to get rid of the old ones just because you really really want to.

I'm all for equalizing this hilariously lopsided teeter-totter. By raising the lower side up. Not pushing down the higher side.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    As has been said roughly a hojillion times in this thread

Every time there's a new Link, there is no established character

That Link in the Wii U trailer?

You know jack shit about that Link other than "likes to ride a horse" and "can fuck things up with a weird mechanical arrow"

• Options
    And I'm not exactly going to think representation of my sex is in danger if Link 13 isn't a guy. There are no shortage of white dudes in the hero department, or even the Link subcategory.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    You can be just as inclusive without gender-swapping an established character. That's such a dumb argument.

Why does it bother you to have the gender swap in the first place? If you don't care, and others do, why make a stand on Doesn't Affect Me Hill?

Fuck, if any series could do with a fundamental reimagining its Zelda. Change everything. If nothing else it'd be a breath of fresh air to see them just trying new things, especially narratively.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Link has important and recurring traits that make the character distinctly "Link".

I just don't see having a penis as one of the important ones.

It is literally the only method by which I can identify Link. Incidentally, almost every game stars Link, so I don't know why we're hung up on this one.

• Options

And those establishments are changing with each new game that gets created with a female hero.

Doesn't mean we have to get rid of the old ones just because you really really want to.

I'm all for equalizing this hilariously lopsided teeter-totter. By raising the lower side up. Not pushing down the higher side.

Who said anything about getting rid of male Link?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Link, in the broader sense referring to the protagonist of the Zelda series, is not an established character. Link is a template on which characters are based. It is important to draw the distinction between the two of them, or else we run into the problem of forgetting that we are not talking about an immutable person. Link, and Link's context within the Legend of Zelda, is a collection of symbols and roles that are meant to help the player engage with the world and the locations and characters in it.

THat template, those symbols, those ideas, work just as well for a woman as for a man.

Calling an argument dumb is not the same thing as engaging with the idea.

Look at it like this.

What is to be gained from the gender option? Greater engagement for some players. Greater variety for some players. Better representation for some players. Greater inclusion. Options options options.

What is lost with the inclusion of a gender option? I am drawing a blank.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

You know jack shit about that Link other than "likes to ride a horse" and "can fuck things up with a weird mechanical arrow"

Well, every Link is courageous. It's kind of their thing.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options

Raising one side of a teeter-totter necessarily lowers the other

This metaphor is not apt for the argument you are making!!!!!

WOOOAAAAARGH

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

Well, every Link is courageous. It's kind of their thing.

A few of them are powiscourageous.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    This conversation has become more repetitive than the Temple of the Ocean King.

And I think we can safely say its been revisited even more.
    It just keeps on going, like the man with the bunny hood.
    Always impending and looming over all, like an evil cursed death moon.
    More pointless and unsatisfying than a chest with five rupees.
    More hopeless to seeing the light of day than a Skull Kid in the Lost Woods
    Shifting about as slowly as King Ruto moving off his thrown.
    More repetitive than this bit?!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Since there seems to be some confusion on the matter, I'll reiterate that each of the Triforce piece passes from one person to another in a different way.

The Triforce of Power grants immortality. It never passes on to anyone, because the person it's bonded to never dies.

The Triforce of Courage is bonded to Link's soul. Every time Link is reincarnated as a new person, that person inherits the Triforce of Courage.

The Triforce of Wisdom is bonded to the bloodline of the Royal Family of Hyrule. It is passed on from parent to child.

This is actually reflected well in the games. Ganon's personality changes the least from one game to another, because he's literally the same guy every time. Link's personality varies slightly, but with some major similarities, because every Link is a different person with the same soul. Zelda's personality varies wildly from one game to another because, despite being blood-related ancestors/descendants of each other, each Zelda is actually a totally different person in both body and soul.
    zelda_.jpg

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

WOOOAAAAARGH

It matters from a physics standpoint. But if you'd prefer filling glasses of water or something, that's fine I guess.

I just want to play as Zelda. She was awesome in Hyrule Warriors.

• Options
    "The wrote:

Yes, this. I have wanted this game forever.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The Triforce of Courage is bonded to Link's soul. Every time Link is reincarnated as a new person, that person inherits the Triforce of Courage.

Ah, no. Not correct. This has happened once, in Twilight Princess. Twice, if you count Hyrule Warriors.

Every other time, Link has had to prove his worth and courage before getting the Triforce of Courage (and sometimes the other two pieces). Even in Ocarina, he got it when Ganondorf shattered the full thing, not because of destiny, but because he was the most courage-valuing person in range at the time.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Ah, no. Not correct. This has happened once, in Twilight Princess. Twice, if you count Hyrule Warriors.

Every other time, Link has had to prove his worth and courage before getting the Triforce of Courage (and sometimes the other two pieces). Even in Ocarina, he got it when Ganondorf shattered the full thing, not because of destiny, but because he was the most courage-valuing person in range at the time.

Well, he has to earn it / prove he is worthy. But he does inherit it. See: the hand mark on the back of his hand in most of the games.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    And never has he had the crest before encountering at least one piece of the Triforce (he had already gathered Power and Wisdom in the backstory of AOL, and he was sent by the Triforce in the Oracle games).

• Options
    And never has he had the crest before encountering at least one piece of the Triforce (he had already gathered Power and Wisdom in the backstory of AOL, and he was sent by the Triforce in the Oracle games).

Ocarina of Time?

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

WOOOAAAAARGH

It matters from a physics standpoint. But if you'd prefer filling glasses of water or something, that's fine I guess.

POR QUE NO LOS DOOOOOOOOS

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I still have absolutely no idea what that is supposed to mean.

• Options
    edited February 2016

"why not both?"

Ocarina of Time?

Only after Ganondorf shattered the Triforce in his wish attempt, and the other two pieces flew to whoever most appreciated their respective virtues most.

Link only shows the crest at the top floor of Ganon's Tower.

Enlong on
  • Options

Roughly translated, "Why not both"

It's a reference to a Spanish language commercial

BY3gcv4.jpg

It is meant specifically to say that the choice presented is a false dichotomy, and that we do not have to choose. We can have both, and we should because both things are good.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    It was an Old El Paso taco commercial specifically.

Why? Because in this household we eat soft tacos and if you don't like it you can eat your stuff in a bowl like a taco salad!

...Unless they're those new ranch and cheddar shells they now make. Because damn they're pretty good.

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    edited February 2016

"why not both?"

:/ Because it dilutes the narrative. If you want to see an example of what's going to happen when you make the main character customizable, just look at Xenoblade Chronicles X, in which your main character might as well not exist because they never get to speak or really emote at all. You lose the personality because you need to account for either gender (and the effort and time needed to do that properly is fairly large). It's also extra work on the developers (insert anecdote about how they flipped the entirety of Hyrule rather than re-animate Link to be right-handed).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited February 2016

"why not both?"

:/ Because it dilutes the narrative. If you want to see an example of what's going to happen when you make the main character customizable, just look at Xenoblade Chronicles X, in which your main character might as well not exist because they never get to speak or really emote at all. You lose the personality because you need to account for either gender (and the effort and time needed to do that properly is fairly large). It's also extra work on the developers (insert anecdote about how they flipped the entirety of Hyrule rather than re-animate Link to be right-handed).

And as a counter-example, also from Nintendo: Robin of Fire Emblem Awakening. Customizable in body type, sex, and voice. Also a defined character with their own personality and arc.

Presumably Corrin as well?

It can be done well. Xenoblade X just did it poorly.

Enlong on
  • Options

"why not both?"

It doesn ot dilute the narrative in any significant way; the lack of certain modes of personal expression for the PC in XCX is not down to the gender question, it is strictly a consequence of the game's writing (and, possibly, budget for all the VAs).

The Avatars from Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates have distinct personalities that are almost wholly consistent across the gender divide because they are written that way.

Shepard's personality is extremely consistent across genders.

"Narrative," as in the story and theme of the games, are not affected by the gender of Link. We lose nothing by having the option, because Zelda games are not written in a way that Link is essentially male. Link's personality works just as well in a woman's body as in a man's.

The Hyrule flip happened because they did not have time to animate Link differently after greenlighting the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Too much testing would have had to be done. That is not the case here or with future projects.

Link's personality would be preserved. The narrative would be preserved. Everything you want would not be lost. We stand only to gain.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I don't like character customization in general. At worst you get Xenoblade's example where the "character" is little more than a living prop while the real stars drive the plot. And in Fire Emblem, yay I can change what the picture looks like. It didn't change the character at all. He/she was still their own predetermined character with their own actions. And looking at Fate's character customization, it seems like even less. I'm debating just leaving everything as the default, because what does it matter?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    If it doesn't matter to you, and you don't engage with it, then you are not affected by the inclusion. Is this not so?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I don't like character customization in general. At worst you get Xenoblade's example where the "character" is little more than a living prop while the real stars drive the plot. And in Fire Emblem, yay I can change what the picture looks like. It didn't change the character at all. He/she was still their own predetermined character with their own actions. And looking at Fate's character customization, it seems like even less. I'm debating just leaving everything as the default, because what does it matter?

Trying not to sound overly dickish here, but not everybody feels that way. Especially when most characters don't already resemble them.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options

"why not both?"

And as a counter-example, also from Nintendo: Robin of Fire Emblem Awakening. Customizable in body type, sex, and voice. Also a defined character with their own personality and arc.

Presumably Corrin as well?

It can be done well. Xenoblade X just did it poorly.

Somewhat, but there are problems with Robin that are mostly hidden by the way he/she works in the game. For one, Robin never actually appears in cutscenes - just in that ridiculous hood to hide the appearance (whether Zelda would feature pre-rendered cutscenes or not is questionable of course). And while Robin is well defined in general, you're also talking about maybe 10 stock "emotion" still-frame drawings to convey that and maybe a paragraph of dialog between some specific missions + unique support conversations based on the gender.

I mean, it works for what Fire Emblem is but I don't think you can translate that the same to a full-motion 3D action adventure game. Especially when you take into account things like the dynamics between characters which is going to change when you alter the gender. I'm especially thinking of things like Wind Waker Link and Tetra (or just Wind Waker Link in general who was emotive as hell), or Skyward Sword Link and Zelda. I just think, you swap Link's gender, or even both of their genders - those things play out COMPLETELY different. Or else you genericize it and you get something relatively flat. You don't have the tough-as-nails pirate woman bossing around the hopeless boy who stumbled onto her ship, or a Zelda who is trying to stop the demon lord and more-or-less rebuffs Link's attempt to "rescue" her as what she's doing is more important.

This is the kind of thing I think you lose when you do stuff like that. Especially with how much Nintendo has been improving on their storytelling with the series. I don't want to see that lost.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    What about Wind Waker would have been changed if Link was a girl, exactly? What about the dynamic between Link and Tetra would change if Link was a girl? Tetra just calls Link "Kid," you wouldn't even have to change the dialogue

Also I think you are misremembering the plot of Skyward Sword

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Huh? The hell does Link being a boy have to do with Tetra bossing around the landlubber she's been saddled with?

• Options
    Huh? The hell does Link being a boy have to do with Tetra bossing around the landlubber she's been saddled with?

You don't think there would be a problem with a male Tetra bossing around a female Link?

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular

Trying not to sound overly dickish here, but not everybody feels that way. Especially when most characters don't already resemble them.

It matters to other people. It matters to the people you're talking to in this very thread! I am not being represented by the "default". I cannot engage with it in a way that Wyborn can. The Legend of Zelda franchise is my favourite franchise by an order of magnitude. I want the girls of the future to be able to choose to be the Hero of their own adventure if they so wish, and to identify with that Hero.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Regardless of whether he's born with the Triforce piece already internalized or has to hunt it down, it always inevitably ends up back in the possession of the latest incarnation of the legendary hero. Triforce hunts usually don't amount to much more than fetchquests to pad out the game length.

Also, Ocarina of Time is not the best game to use as an example if you're trying to argue that the Triforce bonds aren't tied to destiny:

6qf72lcdwubk.png
    lzm53kmtoe5x.png

Ivan Hunger on