As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

196979899100102»

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    am I the only one that feels weirded out when people make superclips like that out of premium content and then release it for free on youtube?

When it's 49 minutes like that, yeah, a little. The 10-15 minute Best of Giant Bomb ones are fine.
    ya i agree with that

it seems wrong to me to take something that is 3 hours and is paid for by people contributing to the site and then release a 1 hour 'best of' of it for free

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I imagine if CBS or Giant Bomb felt that strongly about it, they'd have it taken down

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh yeah it's kind of messed up when it's like an hour long

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Yeah, as far as I'm aware nobody from Giant Bomb has ever said "You shouldn't do that" about any of the stuff on Youtube.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh totally, i just find it fucked up

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Sounds like a question for the bombcast Mailbag.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I know Mario Party Party 3 was long, but a 49 minute greatest hits supercut is kinda gross and goes against the already lax policy GB has against their premium content being hosted elsewhere.

Also, discrimination or not, as long as they don't write anything stupid down, we'd never know if potential applicants were discriminated against or not. Sure, as a part of CBS, they LEGALLY have to open the job posting to anyone and everyone, but they always had a few people in mind, and it was still a huge mistake for them to talk about the hiring process as if it was ever going to be one of us who got hired. And there's nothing stopping Jeff and co. from saying "Well I want X or Y kind of person, but no Z people cause they stink"

Jeff has even said recently that they "had a feeling Dan might apply for the job" when they put the posting up, but that they would have hired somebody else if someone more qualified had applied, because logical dictates that yeah, if a magic person showed up and had more experience and was already working at an outlet for X years and doing a feature that was basically the same as your flagship site feature, the Quick Look, you'd hire them.

I mean, Dan generally ended up working out fine in terms of what he was hired to do, which was to do Quick Looks and look at games, but there's no way the deck wasn't stacked for him from the start. And that's fine, I guess.

This entire conversation is an ouroboros of societal garbage, though.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    This thread proves anything past 100 pages is garbage.

Also putting out 48 minutes of 3 hours is fucked up because you know thats just what they would have released if they bothered to edit the content. 10 minutes out of 2 hours is a commercial, 1 out of 3 hours is making a show from raw footage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, that video was 4 hours of highlights as far as I'm concerned. <3

And honestly, it was in large part these Highlight compilations that got me to subscribe in the first place.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I don't think that people compiling videos that long out of Giant Bombs paid content is necessarily right either but I'm not going to decry it or not watch it. There is a decent chance I will become a premium member on one of the next occasions they do a sale if able to.

And damn, I didn't know there was any way that you could gain 500 coins from a single game in any Mario Party! It's absurd!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I tweeted Crispy and he said the Occasional Dota would be coming back for the New Bloom festival.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So, can the iPhone Podcasts app get the premium podcasts?

Nope. It's also a piece of shit app and is unreliable as hell

Which is a bummer, because the old podcast functionality within the music player worked perfectly

I use Pocket Casts now, it's pretty great

It's $4 but whatever

I'm using the free version of Podcast Addict on my Android phone and it keeps on giving me error messages with Danswers, so I'm listening via the website. Luckily I get unlimited data on my plan.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Oh yeah it's kind of messed up when it's like an hour long

Just call it a Quick Superclip.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So, can the iPhone Podcasts app get the premium podcasts?

Nope. It's also a piece of shit app and is unreliable as hell

Which is a bummer, because the old podcast functionality within the music player worked perfectly

I use Pocket Casts now, it's pretty great

It's $4 but whatever

I'm using the free version of Podcast Addict on my Android phone and it keeps on giving me error messages with Danswers, so I'm listening via the website. Luckily I get unlimited data on my plan.

Hmm, I also use Podcast Addict on Android and I have no issues with premium podcasts. Listened to Danswers 1 and 2 yesterday.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I finally set up Premium podcasts through podcast addict, like, yesterday. Listened to Danswers on the bus, worked fine.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I don't remember the specifics, but I definitely have Danswers coming through the basic Podcasts app on iPhone. Think all it involved was clicking an rss link and putting in my account info.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't remember the specifics, but I definitely have Danswers coming through the basic Podcasts app on iPhone. Think all it involved was clicking an rss link and putting in my account info.

I just got this set up, so thanks for the heads up.

http://www.giantbomb.com/feeds/

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, that video was 4 hours of highlights as far as I'm concerned. <3

And honestly, it was in large part these Highlight compilations that got me to subscribe in the first place.

Giant bomb should eat the innards of these youtube accounts and wear their content on their own account like a skinsuit

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I think Jeff and the GB crew are savvy enough to realize that those superclips are probably not hurting their bottom line, and if anything they are merely offering a sample of what people can expect to get by subscribing. It's hard to imagine a person who would subscribe just to watch a Mario Party Party video, but you can easily imagine the sort of person who stumbles upon that clip on Youtube or a thread like this, goes "I like this, I want to see more", and ends up subscribing. The particular youtube video posted even links to the premium video on giantbomb.com in its description.

It's probably a net positive if it's anything.

It might be different if there was a well oiled machine dutifully ripping and uploading full uncut videos of every piece of premium content they produce, but that seems to be far from the case.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    FWIW, as someone who is a premium member but doesn't have the time to watch a 3-4 hour stream the condensed versions are great. They are probably something GB would put out themselves if they had the manpower for it. However, the videos are of questionable legality and I'd guess GB are within their rights to ask for a copyright claim, but it doesn't strike me as something they'd do themselves.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    people taking your content and monetizing it for themselves is just part of the cost of doing business nowadays. can either devote limited time and resources to getting it taken down or just focus on making the people who do choose to pay you happy.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man, listening to those first 30 mins (not the car part!) made me wonder if I'm missing out whenever I dismiss a F2P game. COD online is such a weird thing.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man, listening to those first 30 mins (not the car part!) made me wonder if I'm missing out whenever I dismiss a F2P game. COD online is such a weird thing.

Don't worry, you're not.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There are plenty of good F2P games out there

Just maybe don't go for Chinese or Korean F2P games

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    There are numerous very great F2P games that you will play for a prolonged period of time and then move on from, like any other game that you pay for.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Was hoping to see an Evolve Quick Look.

I'm not buying it regardless, just wanted to see if I was missing out on something. :P

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'd rather see UPF mp Evolve :P

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Well Mary Zero Suit Samus Aran did an Evolve thingie on UPF during Halloween.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I am totally okay with the existence of a COD Online. Was under the impression that those territories hate having to re-buy the game every year just to keep getting support, so a F2P model for it that'll be the platform that's perpetually updated makes a lot of sense.

Hell, it'd probably make sense here, since I hate that too.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    My copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris finally arrived. My wife and I have never played Tetris together.

Best or worst Valentine's Day ever on the horizon.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Holy god am I done with listening to Jeff and Dan argue about Majora's Mask.

This discussion has been closed.