As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Constantine] Not the Keanu Reeves Movie, We Swear

14567810»

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Could they just 'decide' to do another spin-off from Arrow, starring that guy who was in that season 4 episode? Call it Hellblazer, nothing to do with that other show on that other network.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Could they just 'decide' to do another spin-off from Arrow, starring that guy who was in that season 4 episode? Call it Hellblazer, nothing to do with that other show on that other network.

As long as NBC doesnt have the rights, and crossovers are just allowed by default with DC. See that CW is a CBS network, but supergirl has already been declared to not be in the same universe, so who knows how they are going to play this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's nuts how hard they seem to be fighting Arrow as the core of their shared universe. They want so bad for Man Of Steel to be the legit thing, but their TV shows are flourishing. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Not gonna happen, Doc. I'd say that Matt Ryan showing up in character on another show, on another network, is the last nail in the coffin for Constantine.

I don't know. Who owns the rights to the show? Can it jump networks? Arrow is not above backdoor pilots. Its extremely unlikely but I would say more likely than before given the influence of Stephen Amel and the fact that it is the same character.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Not gonna happen, Doc. I'd say that Matt Ryan showing up in character on another show, on another network, is the last nail in the coffin for Constantine.

I don't know. Who owns the rights to the show? Can it jump networks? Arrow is not above backdoor pilots. Its extremely unlikely but I would say more likely than before given the influence of Stephen Amel and the fact that it is the same character.

I seem to remember that the Constantine series was shopping around for a new network, and that nobody picked it up. My guess now is that any series-specific characters or story lines would be done, but certain characters from the comic, John at least for now, has DC's blessings to appear on Arrow. Hopefully, that will generate enough interest for the CW to create a Hellblazer spin-off series.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    They don't have to continue the Constantine series from NBC. They can take John and start a whole new show that has nothing to do with the NBC and base him in the Arrowverse and all NBC can do is say "We had a Constantine show once."

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I so hope someone picks up Hellblazer. Was the CW even in the running when it was being shopped around?

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I so hope someone picks up Hellblazer. Was the CW even in the running when it was being shopped around?

If they were on the list I imagine at the time they wouldn't have wanted anything that would have competed with Supernatural at the time.

• Options
    *conducts ancient arcane ritual of resurrection*

"Oi Chas, look what these gits are on about now."

"CONSTANTINE" FANS LAUNCH PETITION TO CONTINUE SHOW ON NEW NETWORK

"You think it'll work, boss?"
    "Not a bloody chance."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    He's on the latest episode of Arrow if you need a reminder of how cool Constantine is

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Would someone who's never watched Arrow have any idea what's going on in that episode? We live in the Golden Age of Superhero TV Shows and I literally don't have time to watch them all.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    There's a "previously on..." bit, but probably not. Here's a potted history with spoilers for the whole series:
    At this point in the show Oliver Queen is back in Starling City only it's Star City now because a billionaire liked the name and then he died only not really but he's currently missing and communicating through messing around with computer glitches and making the lights go on and off occasionally. Queen was The Arrow for a while but had to give himself up because Ra's al Ghul wanted him to become the new Ra's al Ghul so Ra's al Ghul could retire, and threatened to destroy the city if Queen didn't. Oliver escaped justice by his young ward pretending to be Arrow, only he was really Arsenal, but he died in prison, only he didn't really die, and skipped town. Ra's then stabbed his sister Thea up but good as the final gambit, because the League of Assassins (Ra's is head of the League of Assassins, don't think I mentioned that) has a Lazarus Pit which can heal people. Oliver agrees to become Ra's in exchange for his use of the Pit in order to bring his sister back, becomes the heir to Ra's al Ghul for a while but resists the mindwashing and turns on Ra's at the crucial moment, at the cost of pissing off his right hand man John Diggle by kidnapping his wife and endangering his daughter to prove his loyalty to Ra's.

So now everybody thinks The Arrow is dead and Oliver is now being The Green Arrow, along with his sister Thea who took over from Arsenal and wants to be called The Red Arrow but Oliver makes people call her Speedy because it always makes sense for your vigilante code name to be a childhood nickname. All well and good.

But...

Enter Laurel Lance, daughter of the police captain, ex-lover of Oliver widely regarded to be The Worst. She finds out about the Lazarus Pit from Thea because Thea is worried that she has bloodlust as a side effect. Laurel gets it into her head that this is the perfect way to bring back her sister Sara. Her sister has "died" twice before. The first time isi n the same boat accident that stranded Oliver on the island where he started learning to become a badass, but it turns out Sara got rescued by the League of Assassins and comes back to kick ass and have sexy times with Oliver (the same reason she was on the boat in the first place, a point of tension between him and the Lance family for a while). She then becomes a vigilante presence along with The Arrow before leaving. The second time Sara died is on a brief visit to the city; Thea puts three arrows in her gut and she falls off a building. This was because Malcolm, Thea's father (who was the big bad in the first season and isn't Oliver's father because his mum was having a bit on the side) had beef with the League of Assassins, and by making Oliver's sister kill a member of the League through brain drugs, he could get Oliver to take the blame, kill Ra's in trial by combat, and wipe clean all blood debts. Ra's kills Oliver, only not properly, so Oliver recovers and that's where Ra's gets the idea that Oliver should become his heir because of a prophecy about he who survives the blade of Ra's al Ghul shall become his successor. So that's when he starts getting all up in Oliver's grill as mentioned in the first paragraph. Then when Ra's is dead and there's a power vacuum in the League of Assassins, Malcolm steps up through a creative interpretation of the prophecy and becomes the new Ra's al Ghul.

So. Laurel, being The Worst, goes to the new Ra's with the corpse of her sister and is all, "This was your fault, bring her back." Ra's is all, "No, it won't be her, Pet Semetary reasons. Also Thea will have bloodlust until she kills the dude who wounded her, which is unfortunate because Ra's (old Ra's, not me) is dead. Here, have some mooks to kill to get it out of your system for a while."

Then Ra's does it anyway. Sara comes out of the Lazarus Pit all raargh, so Laurel, being The Worst, chains her up in her apartment block's basement and shows her pictures of their family in an attempt to bring her back through The Power of Love and My Chaotic Angsty Alignment. Then Sara breaks free. Whoops.

Also, John Diggle had a brother who was shot by a dude working for HIVE, which is the organisation which is currently pulling strings behind the scenes at Star City, aided and abetted by Captain Lance who, in true Lance fashion, got in over his head with a weird telekinetic dude who wants to raze Starling to the ground.

Also there are flashbacks each episode showing how Oliver went from rich partyboy to badass. So far he's been on an island for a year learning cool stuff from a Chinese dude, his daughter, and an Australian who later went crazy with comic book roid rage, only to get rescued and made to work for Argus in Hong Kong, and now Argus have dropped him back on the island to infiltrate a gang who are growing a heroin/coke hybrid.

Also Oliver is running for mayor.

Also his girlfriend is their Oracle-type backroom coordinator, and she owns the company that Oliver used to own because she was dating the guy who bought it from Oliver, who was the guy who is currently flicking lights on and off in an attempt to communicate.

There we go, all caught up :rotate:

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    There's a "previously on..." bit, but probably not. Here's a potted history with spoilers for the whole series:
    At this point in the show Oliver Queen is back in Starling City only it's Star City now because a billionaire liked the name and then he died only not really but he's currently missing and communicating through messing around with computer glitches and making the lights go on and off occasionally. Queen was The Arrow for a while but had to give himself up because Ra's al Ghul wanted him to become the new Ra's al Ghul so Ra's al Ghul could retire, and threatened to destroy the city if Queen didn't. Oliver escaped justice by his young ward pretending to be Arrow, only he was really Arsenal, but he died in prison, only he didn't really die, and skipped town. Ra's then stabbed his sister Thea up but good as the final gambit, because the League of Assassins (Ra's is head of the League of Assassins, don't think I mentioned that) has a Lazarus Pit which can heal people. Oliver agrees to become Ra's in exchange for his use of the Pit in order to bring his sister back, becomes the heir to Ra's al Ghul for a while but resists the mindwashing and turns on Ra's at the crucial moment, at the cost of pissing off his right hand man John Diggle by kidnapping his wife and endangering his daughter to prove his loyalty to Ra's.

So now everybody thinks The Arrow is dead and Oliver is now being The Green Arrow, along with his sister Thea who took over from Arsenal and wants to be called The Red Arrow but Oliver makes people call her Speedy because it always makes sense for your vigilante code name to be a childhood nickname. All well and good.

But...

Enter Laurel Lance, daughter of the police captain, ex-lover of Oliver widely regarded to be The Worst. She finds out about the Lazarus Pit from Thea because Thea is worried that she has bloodlust as a side effect. Laurel gets it into her head that this is the perfect way to bring back her sister Sara. Her sister has "died" twice before. The first time isi n the same boat accident that stranded Oliver on the island where he started learning to become a badass, but it turns out Sara got rescued by the League of Assassins and comes back to kick ass and have sexy times with Oliver (the same reason she was on the boat in the first place, a point of tension between him and the Lance family for a while). She then becomes a vigilante presence along with The Arrow before leaving. The second time Sara died is on a brief visit to the city; Thea puts three arrows in her gut and she falls off a building. This was because Malcolm, Thea's father (who was the big bad in the first season and isn't Oliver's father because his mum was having a bit on the side) had beef with the League of Assassins, and by making Oliver's sister kill a member of the League through brain drugs, he could get Oliver to take the blame, kill Ra's in trial by combat, and wipe clean all blood debts. Ra's kills Oliver, only not properly, so Oliver recovers and that's where Ra's gets the idea that Oliver should become his heir because of a prophecy about he who survives the blade of Ra's al Ghul shall become his successor. So that's when he starts getting all up in Oliver's grill as mentioned in the first paragraph. Then when Ra's is dead and there's a power vacuum in the League of Assassins, Malcolm steps up through a creative interpretation of the prophecy and becomes the new Ra's al Ghul.

So. Laurel, being The Worst, goes to the new Ra's with the corpse of her sister and is all, "This was your fault, bring her back." Ra's is all, "No, it won't be her, Pet Semetary reasons. Also Thea will have bloodlust until she kills the dude who wounded her, which is unfortunate because Ra's (old Ra's, not me) is dead. Here, have some mooks to kill to get it out of your system for a while."

Then Ra's does it anyway. Sara comes out of the Lazarus Pit all raargh, so Laurel, being The Worst, chains her up in her apartment block's basement and shows her pictures of their family in an attempt to bring her back through The Power of Love and My Chaotic Angsty Alignment. Then Sara breaks free. Whoops.

Also, John Diggle had a brother who was shot by a dude working for HIVE, which is the organisation which is currently pulling strings behind the scenes at Star City, aided and abetted by Captain Lance who, in true Lance fashion, got in over his head with a weird telekinetic dude who wants to raze Starling to the ground.

Also there are flashbacks each episode showing how Oliver went from rich partyboy to badass. So far he's been on an island for a year learning cool stuff from a Chinese dude, his daughter, and an Australian who later went crazy with comic book roid rage, only to get rescued and made to work for Argus in Hong Kong, and now Argus have dropped him back on the island to infiltrate a gang who are growing a heroin/coke hybrid.

Also Oliver is running for mayor.

Also his girlfriend is their Oracle-type backroom coordinator, and she owns the company that Oliver used to own because she was dating the guy who bought it from Oliver, who was the guy who is currently flicking lights on and off in an attempt to communicate.

There we go, all caught up :rotate:

Also
    Creepy evil magic telekinetic guy Damian Dahrk tells Captain Lance that the thing that is in Sara's body is not actually her (cf. Pet Cemetery reasons), and Lance very nearly puts her down, Old Yeller-style. But doesn't, because the writers know that John Constantine is going to be in the next episode.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

If they were on the list I imagine at the time they wouldn't have wanted anything that would have competed with Supernatural at the time.

Weird, since they recently did a tv series with angels and Lucifer in it - it was awful. TVD and Originals tap into that genre too.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Weird, since they recently did a tv series with angels and Lucifer in it - it was awful. TVD and Originals tap into that genre too.

In fact, I think both TVD and Originals are about vampires. If CW is okay with two vampire genre shows, I don't see what the problem is with Supernatural and Constantine being on the same network.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Originals is actually a spin off from TVD

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

In fact, I think both TVD and Originals are about vampires. If CW is okay with two vampire genre shows, I don't see what the problem is with Supernatural and Constantine being on the same network.

They are, and Originals is a spin-off from TVD. Rumor is they're making a third. The point is this subject matter isn't far off from what Supernatural does, there's just slightly more romance, female characters don't die when male leads are interested in them and humans aren't the main heroes.

• Options
    Kinda tempted to give this a watch. Does it have any kinda closure, or does the cancellation come outta nowhere?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kinda tempted to give this a watch. Does it have any kinda closure, or does the cancellation come outta nowhere?

Nope, it's pretty much ends with a "We'd really like a second season" type cliffhanger.
    Still, it's an entertaining show, and well worth a watch even with the abrupt ending.

• Options

It ends on a semi-cliffhanger. Still worth watching, and El Rey network has been showing several episodes in a row.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    That is a supreme bummer. Ah well, gonna go for it, seems like it's mostly monster of the week stuff, should be fun even with the non ending. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2015

It ends on a semi-cliffhanger. Still worth watching, and El Rey network has been showing several episodes in a row.

El Rey needed to pick this up, it's perfect for their programming, and they need something when From Dusk Till Dawn is between seasons.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

El Rey needed to pick this up, it's perfect for their programming, and they need something when From Dusk Till Dawn is between seasons.

That's another show that looks like it would be good but I haven't had time to watch.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

That's another show that looks like it would be good but I haven't had time to watch.

It's amazing. If you like this series, you'll love FDTD. When it goes full supernatural it's gloriously bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZCvfH8WwF0

• Options
    Damn it, Harry! I said I didn't have time to watch it!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Hey, Constantine's on Prime Video! Guess what I've been doing the past few hours? :D

This dude ain't look like Keanu! Preorder cancelled!
    Kidding. Yo this dude looks just like Hellblazer. :O

His accent ain't bad either. I think I heard him say he was from Newcastle tho? Mmmnaaaah, not Newkie.

I like this guy. He's nailing the affable asshole.

Also diggin the reason for his damnation too. Fucking up an exorcism and trapping a kid in hell seems a lot less forgiveable than a suicide attempt, hoooly shit.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

It wouldn't compete with Supernatural though. Supernatural has basically been (non-explicit) yaoi for years. The whole paranormal investigation thing is just window dressing for what Supernatural fans actually want, which isn't anything to do with Hellblazer.

• Options
    edited November 2015

It wouldn't compete with Supernatural though. Supernatural has basically been (non-explicit) yaoi for years. The whole paranormal investigation thing is just window dressing for what Supernatural fans actually want, which isn't anything to do with Hellblazer.

They're both urban fantasy series with dark protagonists, and while after season 5 they're targeting the yaoi market it's still the same audience (they're a sub-section) . Same with urban fantasy tv shows like TVD, though their prime audience is paranormal fantasy fans/girls - they still have more in common with Supernatural than not. And while the sub-section of SNR fans don't care about the investigation aspect, that's another aspect it has in common with it. So this competing with SNR would be a thing in the minds of the CW management.

edit: It's not about what the fans want, it's how similar the shows are in concept - which is plenty.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Is that Slit Mouthed Woman!? Furreal? Wow, ain't nothing off limits in this show. :O

Also what happened to the sidekick lady from the first ep? Is she really gone for good? Kinda feels like Zed's a replacement for her. She seemed important, daughter of John's friend and all.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Is that Slit Mouthed Woman!? Furreal? Wow, ain't nothing off limits in this show. :O

Also what happened to the sidekick lady from the first ep? Is she really gone for good? Kinda feels like Zed's a replacement for her. She seemed important, daughter of John's friend and all.

Yep, she's gone.

• Options
    Some people just aren't cut out to be a wizard's apprentice.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    This show is great. Of course it didn't last. It might hook me into watching Arrow or Flash or whichever Constantine ended up in.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Damn it finally saw the Arrow episode.

Constantine was brilliantly cast.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Did they use monkey Constantine or recast?

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Rumor but it would be fun to see in 2017

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy